Awoo.

Nintendo Direct Megathread

Brad

3 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

After they flat out said earlier that Hat in Time "won't" be coming to Switch... Yeah, I'm surprised this got announced. And I'm mad, too. I bought it on sale on PS4 a while back and haven't even gotten a chance to play it yet. And here its now coming to Switch anyway. Like wow.

Well, I already have it on PS4, so I'll probably just play that version instead when I get the chance. Maybe I'll work on it after I finish my current Indie game I'm working on, Cosmic Star Heroine.

Well, look at the upshot. The PS4 version is likely to run better.

That's the way I look at it. I plan on getting a Switch eventually, and my general attitude is that it'd be for mostly first party titles. Most cases I'd rather have the games on the platform it'd run best on.

21 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Well, look at the upshot. The PS4 version is likely to run better.

That's the way I look at it. I plan on getting a Switch eventually, and my general attitude is that it'd be for mostly first party titles. Most cases I'd rather have the games on the platform it'd run best on.

I'd much rather have the flexibility. Unless the game is a broken mess, that is. Downgraded graphics? Meh. Doesn't bother me.

• Thumbs Up 1

If any console owner is hyped for the DLC... don't be. It's only coming to PC.

Willing to bet the Switch version won't have it either (despite coming out later) unless they change their mind later on.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

If any console owner is hyped for the DLC... don't be. It's only coming to PC.

Willing to bet the Switch version won't have it either (despite coming out later) unless they change their mind later on.

I said it in the status' but i'll say it here too, the devs are most likely going to get it to consoles later, just not right now. I sincerely doubt they'd just leave console owners hanging in the cold like that when they took the time out to port them and it would be pretty bad especially since they just announced the switch version.

It might come, except the console versions haven't received a single post-launch patch and even the GOG.com version (the one I own) doesn't get all the updates that the Steam version has, including modding tools and a relatively major patch that came out this May. I asked the devs in the Discord chat if the DLC was even coming to GOG on the same day and one of the people in charge of the questions said they'll "get clarification on it later." Probably because that particular version didn't even cross their minds. I'm bracing for a delay on that particular storefront and this is what I've had to put up with since launch due to the mistake of buying on day-one what turned out to be an inferior, less-supported version of the game.

Never say never, of course - this same dev team said that a Switch version wasn't happening. However you'll be waiting a damn long time for console support if it does indeed come. You're better off waiting for a sale on the Steam version (and not the GOG version) because that's the one that has the highest, and usually only, priority.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Most cases I'd rather have the games on the platform it'd run best on

By that logic you'd technically be getting it on Xbox One X then. It's obvious why not many people follow that philosophy unless it's an actual drastic case of quality and how well the game runs. 

15 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Megumin Academy said:

By that logic you'd technically be getting it on Xbox One X then. It's obvious why not many people follow that philosophy unless it's an actual drastic case of quality and how well the game runs. 

Actually I'd be getting it on PC :V

And yeah, in most cases there's a pretty obvious difference in performance and quality between games on the Switch and other consoles. 

• 3 weeks later...

Due to an earthquake in Hokkaido and the already present typhoon, the Direct has been postponed to a TBA date.
Understandable to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 5

There was a weird thing where Nintendo UK's original post for the Direct said 06/09, then the followup that said it was delayed said 07/09. It shouldn't have a different date in that regard...

But I'm still betting on Monday/Tuesday right now. I would say Thursday, but I think they can't delay the Direct TOO long. Famitsu probably already has reveals lined up to be announced in the Direct and released on Monday/Tuesday. Based on how long they have to plan this stuff out in advance, I doubt they can just simply delay that information. So I think the delay for the Direct is only going to be to early next week. That will give the weekend for things to settle down and give people time to recover from this.

I'm sure if Nintendo could they'd push it back even longer, but they're in a very tight spot right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

So remember that rumor a few years back about FFXV coming on Switch...and some people joked about it being FFXV portable...

well this is probably gonna be something shown off at the direct 

A09830D6-4243-4B00-99DF-6E6BC9CA0ACE.jpeg

314AF3BC-3276-447E-BFBC-9004111BEA5A.jpeg

9 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

There was a weird thing where Nintendo UK's original post for the Direct said 06/09, then the followup that said it was delayed said 07/09. It shouldn't have a different date in that regard...

They'll have been using a Nintendo Europe placeholder image; in CEST, the Direct was set to go out at midnight.

I'm wondering how much the earthquake managed to hit them, because they still haven't announced a new date. I hope everything is fine over there.

2 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I'm wondering how much the earthquake managed to hit them, because they still haven't announced a new date. I hope everything is fine over there.

The earthquake only affected Hokkaido (northern Japan) specifically. Power is already mostly restored there now.

http://time.com/5390791/death-toll-earthquake-japan-hokkaido/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-quake/power-restored-in-most-of-japans-quake-hit-hokkaido-toyota-plants-to-shut-idUSKCN1LN2S9

Nintendo themselves were barely affected. They're concern is probably waiting until a better time to push the Direct back to and if they need to change anything in the Direct (if they DO need to change anything, it'll probably get pushed back several more days).

As is, though, they're probably just waiting until at least Monday before airing it, and they typically don't announce Directs until a day in advance anyway. Just be patient. The weekend isn't even over yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some game annoucments that were done after the delay, such as the release of the MM11 demo, might've originally been intended to be shown in it.

Nintendo likely had to reach out to all developers featured in it that they pushed it back. However, some companies either didn't get the memo, or choice to annouce it seperatly altogether.

Unless they just let it tell us stuff we already know, they're likely swapping out some games for others to fill any gaps left behind. If it hadn't already, the Direct is now more likely to go into detail on the online service.

49 minutes ago, SupahBerry said:

Some game annoucments that were done after the delay, such as the release of the MM11 demo, might've originally been intended to be shown in it.

Nintendo likely had to reach out to all developers featured in it that they pushed it back. However, some companies either didn't get the memo, or choice to annouce it seperatly altogether.

Unless they just let it tell us stuff we already know, they're likely swapping out some games for others to fill any gaps left behind. If it hadn't already, the Direct is now more likely to go into detail on the online service.

I doubt they'll have time to swap things out. There honestly weren't a whole lot of announcements that came after the Direct. I mean, yeah, there were a couple. But I don't think they need to shift them out or anything as long as they get it out early next week. And they probably need to as Famitsu quite possibly has a lot of details in it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

What do you think they are gonna announce about Smash (I'd say a character and an echo are likely)? Sadly I doubt a new mode will be announced, that could happen in the next Smash direct.

8 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

What do you think they are gonna announce about Smash (I'd say a character and an echo are likely)? Sadly I doubt a new mode will be announced, that could happen in the next Smash direct.

The most likely situation is we get one character right at the end of the Direct.

In the off-chance they do reveal more, it'd probably be two characters and an Echo or two right after the first character. if they actually have a "segment" on Smash rather than just a single character reveal at the end, we'd probably see a new character and Echo Fighters. The only other thing they might do is reveal there are more new stages, getting one alongside a new character and (again) if there's a segment on Smash rather than just a trailer, we could see new stages for franchises that don't have a new one yet (Pokemon, DK, Metroid are the top candidates IMO).

We probably won't get an Item/Assist Trophy/Pokeball Pokemon montage, new game modes, etc. MAYBE we do get some online details, though, assuming they are planning to go into Switch Online during this Direct. But its totally possible they don't talk about online in terms of Smash just yet and wait until a later Smash Direct instead.

• Thumbs Up 1