Awoo.

Nintendo Direct Megathread

Brad

Seems the Direct's been moved to this Thursday:

True or not, I'm fine with Nintendo taking all the time they need to recover after that travesty.

• Thumbs Up 1

thoughts:

lmao i feel sorry for those who really expected shadow to show up for smash in the direct. legit didn't expect isabella as playable though, and there's a new 2019 AC game for switch so there's that for AC fans I guess

also nice to see next level games isn't on metroid janitorial duty and they're making luigi's mansion 3

a bit surprised 3DS games only took up five minutes, not too surprised they're all ports/remakes. (by the by--I'm really surprised about kirby's epic yarn getting a 3DS port nearly nine years after the fact)

yoshi's crafted world actually looks pretty interesting now (especially in the visual department), can't wait to see how that goes

cities skyline coming to switch sounds interesting but the framerate for the game looked pretty bad. 😕 it looked rather choppy, at sub-30 fps.

daemon x machima still looks pretty nice. wonder how four-player co-op against battles is going to work though without taxing the system.

nintendo switch online doesn't really detail much further than i expected. either way i can't wait to drop the guillotine blade on free online play next week >.>

really surprised about game freak making a non-pokemon RPG. ought to be interesting how town (WT) goes

surprised the NSMBU deluxe rumor came true (also LOL at them making up a peach stand-in with peach-ette)

a bit confused at the smash bros switch ultimate bundle releasing november 6th. since it has a game code, does that mean people who buy the bundle can play the game a month early? or is it going to be a case in which the code doesn't go live until the game release?

and half of the last ten minutes becoming the final fantasy show was pretty funny to me. it's like square einx backed up a truck filled with ports/re-releases of old final fantasy games and spinoff games. though i presume the switch won't be able to handle FFXV.

overall, it was an okay direct.

38 minutes ago, Yeow said:

really surprised about game freak making a non-pokemon RPG. ought to be interesting how town (WT) goes

Forgetting the fact that Game Freak made other games outside of Pokémon, like say Pulseman, Mendel Palace, Harmo Knight, and Tembo the Badass Elephant?

2 minutes ago, Tailikku said:

Forgetting the fact that Game Freak made other games outside of Pokémon, like say Pulseman, Mendel Palace, Harmo Knight, and Tembo the Badass Elephant?

I specifically said "non-Pokemon RPG" for a reason. I'm aware that they've made other games, and none of the games you listed are RPGs.

• Thumbs Up 2

While the Direct did drag in the middle for me, the two games I've wanted them to announce the most - Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3 - were both in there, so.... I'm pretty damn chuffed. I'd have been more chuffed had we seen some actual gameplay footage, but what can you do.

With them and Pokémon on the way, 2019 is looking pretty sweet on the Nintendo side of things for little ol' Pawn.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the most exciting announcement, after Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing, has got to be the PS1/PS2 era Final Fantasy games making their way to the Switch. I have both VII and IX's PS1 releases, and have been meaning to sit down with them again... looks like next year's Switch releases will be the perfect opportunity. Here's hoping the ports are good and aren't overpriced.

On the flipside, Nintendo's presentation for their Online service did not inspire much confidence. I dunno, I've been uneasy with how cagey they've been about details, and I feel like, outside of a visual demonstration of what we already know, it's nothing I care about. And the cloud saving (which, aside from being able to play Smash worth anything, seems to be their huge selling point) bothers me--just give me a local, microSD option, Nintendo. The majority of your players aren't going to be cheating or hacking anyway. Cripes.

6 hours ago, Pawn said:

2019 is looking pretty sweet on the Nintendo side of things for little ol' Pawn.

13 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

On the flipside, Nintendo's presentation for their Online service did not inspire much confidence. I dunno, I've been uneasy with how cagey they've been about details, and I feel like, outside of a visual demonstration of what we already know, it's nothing I care about. And the cloud saving (which, aside from being able to play Smash worth anything, seems to be their huge selling point) bothers me--just give me a local, microSD option, Nintendo. The majority of your players aren't going to be cheating or hacking anyway. Cripes.

Still think it's totally silly that they didn't even empathise Smash. Like the majority of their footage for things worth playing online is things you've literally been able to play online for the past year and a half, so it isn't really a selling point.

• Thumbs Up 4

And the online service just got even worse:

So your cloud save data won't be so "secure" after all: You can only keep it be keeping up your subscription, and if your Switch breaks, you'll still have to pay for the service until you get a new one.

Oh, and those NES games you've played a billion times before? You now have time limits when playing them offline.

What is it with Nintendo dropping the ball when it comes to online services?

I mean it makes since. Your offline. There are ps games I cant play if offline at all. It's most likely to stop people from thinking they can keep the games offline all the time.  only thing remotely upsetting honestly is the voice chatter phone app. Just put it on the system

34 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I mean it makes since. Your offline. There are ps games I cant play if offline at all. It's most likely to stop people from thinking they can keep the games offline all the time.  only thing remotely upsetting honestly is the voice chatter phone app. Just put it on the system

I’m shocked that you of all people are defending a scummy business practice that makes things inconvenient for the customer, and really only exists to cynically gate things off and make an extra buck. /sarcasm

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

And the online service just got even worse:

So your cloud save data won't be so "secure" after all: You can only keep it be keeping up your subscription, and if your Switch breaks, you'll still have to pay for the service until you get a new one.

Oh, and those NES games you've played a billion times before? You now have time limits when playing them offline.

What is it with Nintendo dropping the ball when it comes to online services?

Nintendo, how do you keep messing this up?

34 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Incorrect, actually. PS Plus games do have a limit - namely the games expire when your subscription expires. Otherwise, you do not need to be online to play these games, as the games have a built-in expire date when downloaded - which is set to the date of your Plus subscription expiring.

So no, it doesn't make sense and removes the main point of why I'd probably be playing a NES game in the first place - I.E as a quick portable time waster.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Incorrect, actually. PS Plus games do have a limit - namely the games expire when your subscription expires. Otherwise, you do not need to be online to play these games, as the games have a built-in expire date when downloaded - which is set to the date of your Plus subscription expiring.

So no, it doesn't make sense and removes the main point of why I'd probably be playing a NES game in the first place - I.E as a quick portable time waster.

And a lot of people have a 3DS so can get that portbable NES experience that way if they really want, without the online service hassle. (Or just download Roms on their phones, other portable devices, etc.)

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I downloaded crash on my ps3 and it works but I went offline and it tells me I need to be signed in to use it. Heck I cant even go into YouTube if I'm not on my ps account which to me is odd

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I’m shocked that you of all people are defending a scummy business practice that makes things inconvenient for the customer, and really only exists to cynically gate things off and make an extra buck. /sarcasm

I've told you countless times I'm a business major.  this is just what business do. Dont think I sit by enjoying your age moments. I'm simply stating imo why there doing before flipping my kitchen table

Issues aside 20 bucks a year is rather cheap. If they get rid of the phone app crap I'd be a happy camper

So no way to backup your console saves locally and your cloud saves getting erased after the subscription expires. This sums up my feelings towards the online service for the Switch:

It's not 2007 anymore Nintendo. Please quit dropping the ball when it comes to basic online services compared to your competitors.

13 minutes ago, Cobalt_Bolt said:

So no way to backup your console saves locally and your cloud saves getting erased after the subscription expires. This sums up my feelings towards the online service for the Switch:

It's not 2007 anymore Nintendo. Please quit dropping the ball when it comes to basic online services compared to your competitors.

So what gets saved on our so cards exactly.  I've always assumed my saves went there

Nope. Game saves are still stored on the internal memory of the Switch console. What gets saved onto the microSD card are the games and DLC purchased from the eShop.