Awoo.

Nintendo Direct Megathread

Brad

You know, I was okay with the service. It's not as good as PS Plus and Xbox Live but hey, it seems infinitely cheaper. 20 bucks a month for a library of NES Games and cloud saves? That doesn't sound bad. Since they update the library, I feel like it'll cost over 20 bucks for the new additions yearly if they were Virtual Console releases. And while not all games save to the cloud... eh, at least some do.

It wasn't great, pretty dumb at times but it seems like something I can tolerate.

But hearing save data expires after subscription and offline time limits?

I take it all back.

I take it back all the way.

This is one of the most dumbass moves I've seen Nintendo do in a while.

• Absolutely 1

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

So is it gone for good or just till you renew. I thought they meant it's just locked off from you

Looking at the Frequently Asked Questions page myself, I'm... not sure, honestly. Here's what Nintendo's official website says:

Q: After my Nintendo Switch Online subscription expires, will my Save Data Cloud files and Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data be erased?

A: Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online membership. Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online also uses the Save Data Cloud, so the same applies. However, if you keep the Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data saved locally on your Nintendo Switch console, then you can use it again if you purchase another membership.

Here's the whole FAQ, for those who want to read it.

They don't specifically say that Cloud Saves will be erased, just that they "cannot be kept" while you don't have a membership. I'm not entirely certain if that means they'll be gone for good, or just locked away (similarly to PS+).

Either way, I'm not impressed with what this service seems to offer. Sure, it's cheap compared to XBL Gold and PS+, but Nintendo's 'extras' aren't that enticing to me.

NES games? Any games for that system that I enjoy playing, I already have on my 3DS. Special offers? Most likely just some extra discounts on games. (Though if it turns out to be something like Microsoft's 'Games With Gold', then I might be more interested.)

Right now, this just looks like a major disappointment (and personally, a hindrance).

11 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

Looking at the Frequently Asked Questions page myself, I'm... not sure, honestly. Here's what Nintendo's official website says:

Here's the whole FAQ, for those who want to read it.

They don't specifically say that Cloud Saves will be erased, just that they "cannot be kept" while you don't have a membership. I'm not entirely certain if that means they'll be gone for good, or just locked away (similarly to PS+).

Either way, I'm not impressed with what this service seems to offer. Sure, it's cheap compared to XBL Gold and PS+, but Nintendo's 'extras' aren't that enticing to me.

NES games? Any games for that system that I enjoy playing, I already have on my 3DS. Special offers? Most likely just some extra discounts on games. (Though if it turns out to be something like Microsoft's 'Games With Gold', then I might be more interested.)

Right now, this just looks like a major disappointment (and personally, a hindrance).

I think they mean it's gone for good. Cuz it saying to save it locally if you do not renew your membership defeating the purpose of cloud save.

The thing about steam and digital games is if it goes down or shuts down you do not get to keep the games according to the tos. Its why i hate digital only. (i miss you CVM2)

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

The thing about steam and digital games is if it goes down or shuts down you do not get to keep the games according to the tos. Its why i hate digital only. (i miss you CVM2)

I'm sure Steam has contingencies in place to let people play their games if the incredibly unlikely happens and Steam gets shut down. And even if that was the case, then there's multiple contingencies that you can take to ensure that your games are still playable. There's nothing wrong with being digital only, just be smart.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I do think we should get a direct this, and getting it as soon as this week is nice, those leaked games sound far too easy.

Spoiler

What direct hoax wouldn't put a Metroid Prime Trilogy on their leak? Espacally after 4's delay was announced.

Mario Maker is also another extremly popular fan requested title, port or successor.

New Direct tomorrow, includes new about Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

• Fist Bump 1

I have only one thing to say in reaction to seeing the contents of this direct.

Spoiler

Toby Fox is the king of shitposters.

• Chuckle 1

Despite some disappointments, I actually thought this was a really good Direct overall.

Messed up that my main takeaway is "more BoxBoy!", though.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

One detail I noticed about this Direct that I don’t think anyone else has is that Pokemon: Sword and Shield is being showcased on it.

From what I remember, Pokemon has never, ever been showcased in a standardized Direct before, outside of maybe a brief mention. It’s usually given it’s own specialized direct of sorts. So that’s something interesting to point out about this direct in particular.

the last two directs have been at very early starting times lately for me. the E3 2019 direct started at 10:00 AM, which meant i had to wake up far earlier than usual to watch it live, and the indie world presentation was at an unholy 7:00 AM.

luckily, this broke the streak by premiering at 4:00 PM for me, so i know a good way to kill 40 minutes tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Menace2Society said:

From what I remember, Pokemon has never, ever been showcased in a standardized Direct before, outside of maybe a brief mention.

It's happened a couple times, when they announced the Gen 1 games were going to be on 3DS VC (among other minor things), and then later on when there was a segment about some stuff in USUM. I expect this will be a slightly bigger deal though, if they're namedropping it in the direct's announcement.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Celestia said:

It's happened a couple times, when they announced the Gen 1 games were going to be on 3DS VC (among other minor things), and then later on when there was a segment about some stuff in USUM. I expect this will be a slightly bigger deal though, if they're namedropping it in the direct's announcement.

I dont see them doing anything big honestly.  TGS is just around the corner.

Well, looks like one of the announcements leaked and got confirmed, Overwatch drops on Switch next month.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Tomorrow’s the supposed deadline for a July 20th Direct and Nintendo still said nothing so far.

Mini’s looking likely at this rate.