Awoo.

Nintendo Direct Megathread

Brad

3 hours ago, MickX said:

From what I understood Shibata said there would be more Mystery Mushroom costumes coming in the future. They aren't necessarily restricted to the new Super Expert mode, I believe.

I know there's many more coming. I'm just nervous about Super Expert's exclusive ones.

Nintendo, stop slacking off, you should bring Circle of the moon and Aria of sorrow to 3ds eshop. I don't care 'bout anything else now.

And Chrono Trigger.

But the 3DS isn't powerful enough to play GBA games!  And although Chrono Trigger was ported to the DS, by analogy to the GBA it'll be at least another two generations before Nintendo makes a handheld powerful enough to play DS games.

I can't even imagine how long it'll be before there's a console powerful enough to play all the 3DS games I own.

6 hours ago, FFWF said:

But the 3DS isn't powerful enough to play GBA games!  And although Chrono Trigger was ported to the DS, by analogy to the GBA it'll be at least another two generations before Nintendo makes a handheld powerful enough to play DS games.

I can't even imagine how long it'll be before there's a console powerful enough to play all the 3DS games I own.

The new 3DS will undoubtedly get GBA support soon.

The 3DS is considerably more powerful than the PSP, and that was perfectly capable of full speed GBA emulation.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was without any of the additional VC features. so I do figure New3DS could handle those added in.

• 5 months later...

New Nintendo Direct announced for Thursday, September 1, 16:00 CEST (Almost exactly 48 hours from this post) Europe and Japan already confirmed.

For 3DS. ._.

The fact that this is going to happen makes me revise my estimates for when the NX reveal could happen; I don't think they'd have a 3DS Direct if they were planning on announcing the NX within the next two or three weeks.  Could be wrong, I guess.

But yeah, what even is there left to hype at this point?  That isn't already out in Japan?  Federation Force isn't out yet in Europe, I believe.  For the west generally, there's Ace Attorney and the 3D Dragon Quests VII and VIII.  Aside from Mario Party, there's Pokemon Sun and Moon, of course...  Oh, maybe we'll see Ever Oasis again?  It's been all quiet on that front since E3.  As ever, fingers crossed for something fun and unannounced - though at this point, anything unannounced probably couldn't be very big.

Edit: Just got reminded of loads more stuff, though again, it's mostly already out in Japan.  Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse and Etrian Odyssey V, Monster Hunter Stories, potentially the new Culdcept - and, inevitably, Yokai Watch.  Detective Pikachu is a dead cert sooner or later, given they're doing a movie adaptation.

To be honest, the constant Sun and Moon updates have pretty much sated my usual hunger for new Directs, but still excited to see what's shown off. No doubt yet another Sun and Moon trailer will be featured along with amiibo details for Star Rush.

Has this been confirmed for Japan? If it has, then honestly, how are they going to get enough content to show off?

Sure, I didn't expect any new Wii U games, but its been a while since we've had any news about Super Mario Maker DLC.

I do expect news on the next Legends DLC pack (finally).

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

The fact that this is going to happen makes me revise my estimates for when the NX reveal could happen; I don't think they'd have a 3DS Direct if they were planning on announcing the NX within the next two or three weeks.  Could be wrong, I guess.

But yeah, what even is there left to hype at this point?  That isn't already out in Japan?  Federation Force isn't out yet in Europe, I believe.  For the west generally, there's Ace Attorney and the 3D Dragon Quests VII and VIII.  Aside from Mario Party, there's Pokemon Sun and Moon, of course...  Oh, maybe we'll see Ever Oasis again?  It's been all quiet on that front since E3.  As ever, fingers crossed for something fun and unannounced - though at this point, anything unannounced probably couldn't be very big.

Edit: Just got reminded of loads more stuff, though again, it's mostly already out in Japan.  Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse and Etrian Odyssey V, Monster Hunter Stories, potentially the new Culdcept - and, inevitably, Yokai Watch.  Detective Pikachu is a dead cert sooner or later, given they're doing a movie adaptation.

I honestly don't really agree with that first paragraph. I don't think a 3DS direct has ANYTHING to do with the NX reveal. The 3DS Direct is just getting rid of all news about upcoming 3DS content and updates before the NX is officially revealed. (If it does affect the NX reveal, if anything I think its more likely that its going to happen sooner rather than later.)

Since this is in Japan as well, though, I kinda think we're going to have to have at least some new content. Then again, they could just as easily announced GBA VC for new 3DS.

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

But yeah, what even is there left to hype at this point?  That isn't already out in Japan? 

Possible announcement of the Great Ace Attorney localization? :blush:

19 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

But that's already out in Japan.

Whoops, misread that.  I guess they'll also have a fair share of new instalments to show. 

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

That'd be fantastic, but the last time they mentioned the game in an interview then they indicated that there were obstacles preventing it from being localised, even though they really wanted to do so.  I gather there are actually still lingering copyright issues around Sherlock Holmes in the U.S., so that could have something to do with it.  A Japanese-only sequel announcement might be more likely.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

That'd be fantastic, but the last time they mentioned the game in an interview then they indicated that there were obstacles preventing it from being localised, even though they really wanted to do so.  I gather there are actually still lingering copyright issues around Sherlock Holmes in the U.S., so that could have something to do with it.  A Japanese-only sequel announcement might be more likely.

Well,  the main reason I bring up the possibility is the chance of Nintendo pulling a DQ7 &8, and localize it themselves. 

Yeah copyright issue is still present last we've heard though. 

Would be the best of they announced a DGS sequel,  alongside confirmation of localizing a DGS duology, trilogy,  etc when it's compete releasing over in Japan,  like the original trilogy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

>Nintendo surprise-released Genealogy of the Holy War on Japanese New 3DSes last Friday, a day that never sees eShop updates, especially for games with no prior announcement

>Nintendo Direct is on a Thursday, the day that eShop updates, leading to the possibility that some announcements made in the Direct will be immediately available afterward.

...Is this happening? Can I dream?

I'm not sure the copyright issues surrounding Sherlock Holmes should be a factor, since all but the last book of short stories concerning Holmes have been declared to be in the public domain, so unless the material Great Ace Attorney covers aspects from that specific material, it shouldn't be an issue.

Is there anything stopping Capcom from simply renaming the Sherlock Holmes-related characters in a localization?

Though honestly I've long given up on hoping for Dai Gyakuten Saiban or Gyakuten Kenji 2. The important thing for me is that we still get the main, plot-relevant entries.

I'm disappointed at how little Sun & Moon was shown off and I'm praying with all my might that 3DS Pikmin isn't Pikmin 4, but I love those new Zelda Amiibos and I'm so glad we got Skyward Sword for Wii U VC.

3DS Mario Maker sounds kind of worthless honestly, if you can only share created level locally?  Likewise, did I hear them say that that Steel-Diver-esque Tank Troopers was for local multiplayer?  Hmm.

3DS Yoshi's Woolly World makes a lot of sense in retrospect, since Yoshi platformers have a strong handheld presence and Yoshi's New Island didn't exactly satisfy many people's yearnings.  Adding extra Poochy...?  Does anyone really like that mutt?  Eh, maybe they improved him for Woolly World.

Wonder if Pikmin 3DS'll hold up.  The concept is somewhat reminiscent of the recent Chibi Robo 3DS platformer...

Aside from seeing a bit of Dragon Quest, Ever Oasis, and the new Pikmin title, can't say this wowed me. If anything, seeing some Wii U games hastily slapped onto the handheld leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Mario Maker 3DS is basically a stripped down version of the regular one, so it's a slap in the face to 3DS owners and it's not going to make people who own both systems want it. Yoshi's Wooly World is whatever, I liked what I played of the Wii U game, and I feel a lot of the charm came from the visuals, so like Xenoblade on N3DS, this looks like a downgrade. And then there's more Hyrule Warriors Legends, which basically made me stop caring about the Wii U game since that version doesn't get the story content, just the characters as paid DLC.

This Direct can be summed up with "Wii U? The fuck is that?" I realize it's practically dead with its successor around the corner, but this is fucking ridiculous.

On the upside, seeing the Zelda announcements was cool, especially for the upcoming art book and the new figures. I think I might want to grab that Ocarina one.

Also updated the thread title since I noticed the date was never changed

Weirdly enough, the Japanese stream did show footage of Paper Mario: Colour Splash (I think some bits might have been new) despite it being a 3DS presentation. Did the EU or NA streams do that?