Awoo.

Nintendo Direct Megathread

Brad

Fingers crossed for Fire Emblem Switch news. Warriors has been great fun, but I'm eager for more news on the main series games.

13 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

https://cytu.be/r/Motobug

Forgot to post the link last time so yeah, Motobug will be streaming tomorrow.

What's the UK time of the stream?

Should be 10pm. I'll definitely be there.

I do wonder if this may be one of the last Directs to showcase content for the 3DS, though...

Wasn't expecting them to do a full Direct just a few months off E3. Won't be surprised if a lot of it is DLC, some of the leaks already suggest that will be the case

20 hours ago, FFWF said:

The Dead Heat Breakers (Dillon's Rolling Western 3): Announced in a Japanese Direct last September, we've heard nothing about it since.  It looked a fair way into development even back then, so where has it been since?  Best-case scenario, given that it's a Thursday, is that it comes out after the Direct - but it wouldn't be surprising if it once again slipped from the radar.

Never say never, a Japanese release date for this game has been leaked!  April 26th.  It's almost certainly going to be in the Direct, then.  Hopefully that'll give us some information about a localisation, too; the previous two games got simultaneous worldwide releases (well, the EU had to wait two months for The Last Ranger...).

A few other things have been leaked (that is, reliably leaked rather than rumour-leaked), but nothing else that interests me yet.

I'm finding this interesting that this is on the eve of Brawl's 10th anniversary.  Does this mean that there might be something related to 5mash?

• My Emmerdoods 1

Wario commands me to give him my money, and against all my better judgement, I will obey.

The direct finally proved to me that the 3DS is a remake console and the good old days are in the past.

If captain toad came out a few years ago i would have bought it for the 3DS but now I think I'll stick to the Switch version. 

I liked how Mario Tennis Aces is looking. And I'll be looking out for the demo.

Also Smash Switch... I hope it's new and not another port/ definitive edition.

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/switch-nindies-showcase-spring-2018-set-march-20

Not sure if it counts as a Direct, but Nintendo is hosting a Nindies showcase next Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. PT / 12:00 p.m. ET.
Highlights will probably be King Knight's campaign for Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Undertale and Bloodstained, but i'm expecting some surprises like A Hat in Time.

Also it's worth noting that Oddworld Inhabitants has an announcement to make the same day. Uhm.
Methinks New 'n Tasty and Soulstorm will be avaible for the Switch.

• Thumbs Up 2

A Hat In Time is not coming to Switch, lol. The devs themselves have said so multiple times. They're too small a team to even try and port UE3 to Switch (it does not natively support it). Rocket League was a much bigger game (has eSports appeal) and a bigger team, plus they hired an outside party to do the Switch port. And from what I read about what that dev had to do to get RL on Switch, well, it made them port UE3 to Switch first, and then port RL to that emulated version of UE3. And no, they would not freely share their work with another dev, contracts were likely involved with the money required to do that port job.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shade Vortex said:

A Hat In Time is not coming to Switch, lol.

Same thing people said about Undertale. B)

I won't be surprised if/when a port would be announced for whatever reason.

Except the devs straight up said no, like I said. Though the original tweet seems to have been removed, I don't see why/how their stance would change from a definite no. But many articles referenced that tweet.

2 hours ago, Shade Vortex said:

Except the devs straight up said no, like I said.

Toby was in that stance beforehand too,  like I said. Things, especially in the games industry are quite prone to change. 

Though the original tweet seems to have been removed,

Oh ho, this is getting interesting. Why record on when that tweet was deleted as well?

I don't see why/how their stance would change from a definite no.

You'd be surprised by the plethora of ways a game dev's mind can be changed. 

If the statement that it won't be coming to the Switch was removed it's probably because they didn't want to make it sound final when things could change, not necessarily that something already has. As far as we know it's pretty much out of their hands, but it would be a pretty cool surprise if they managed to work something out...

Undertale can be ported to the Switch because Game Maker can be used on the console with no problems.

A Hat in Time cannot, because UE3 is not natively supported. And the devs have no experience porting engines to consoles, and it's a big undertaking if they did know.

So stop. It ain't coming.

On 3/17/2018 at 2:33 AM, Celestia said:

If the statement that it won't be coming to the Switch was removed it's probably because they didn't want to make it sound final when things could change, not necessarily that something already has. As far as we know it's pretty much out of their hands, but it would be a pretty cool surprise if they managed to work something out...

I can certainly agree with that sentiment. 

It's by no means impossible,  and they likely deleted the tweet in the case that circumstances could become more favorable for them. 

• 5 months later...
On 3/18/2018 at 8:28 PM, Polkadi~♪ said:

Undertale can be ported to the Switch because Game Maker can be used on the console with no problems.

A Hat in Time cannot, because UE3 is not natively supported. And the devs have no experience porting engines to consoles, and it's a big undertaking if they did know.

So stop. It ain't coming.

rG03vRC.gif

About that..... didn't age so well, considering a switch version  just got annouced a couple of hours ago.

Good game though. 

On 3/16/2018 at 7:47 PM, Jovahexeon Megumin Academy said:
On 3/16/2018 at 5:44 PM, Shade Vortex said:

Except the devs straight up said no, like I said.

Toby was in that stance beforehand too,  like I said. Things, especially in the games industry are quite prone to change. 

Especially when money and success are involved; I rest my case. 

Looks like optimism won out in the end yet again,  over cynicism.

Edited by Jovahexeon Megumin Academy

I have to admit that I'm a bit mystified by the "UE3 is not supported by the Switch"?

Why does a game console have to support a game engine? That's not how it works.

2 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Why does a game console have to support a game engine? That's not how it works.

Precisely. That's what porting specislist teams are for anyway. 

After they flat out said earlier that Hat in Time "won't" be coming to Switch... Yeah, I'm surprised this got announced. And I'm mad, too. I bought it on sale on PS4 a while back and haven't even gotten a chance to play it yet. And here its now coming to Switch anyway. Like wow.

Well, I already have it on PS4, so I'll probably just play that version instead when I get the chance. Maybe I'll work on it after I finish my current Indie game I'm working on, Cosmic Star Heroine.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JaidynReiman said:

After they flat out said earlier that Hat in Time "won't" be coming to Switch... Yeah, I'm surprised this got announced. And I'm mad, too. I bought it on sale on PS4 a while back and haven't even gotten a chance to play it yet. And here its now coming to Switch anyway. Like wow.

The moral of the story is to not take these kinds of statements at face value. @Polkadi~♪

Devs will often eventually go where the money is unless they're under contract. 

• Thumbs Up 1