Awoo.

Fallout 4 (PS4, X1, PC) "Pip-Boys, pre-orders & parties"

Badnik Mechanic

Looks like Protagonist is no longer silent. Cool, I guess. Guess that old rumor wasn't lying. Looks like we're still some Vault Dweller, or they just found ANOTHER excuse to put you in a vault suit. Whatever, does get tiring though.

(apparently you can kill them in the first Fallout).

Yes. Yes you can. The game was very edgy by today's standard, drug use, kid pewing.

What else is wrong with the game though? It was my first Fallout game ever and I thought it was a great introduction to those games.

Most of Fallout 3 problems lie in its story and attempts to separate itself from the classics while not doing so at all.

If you played the originals, you'll see a lot of similarities story-wise between it and Fallout 1 and 2

Spoiler in case others want to get into it before the release of 4:

Fallout 3 has you leave the Vault.

Fallout 1 has you leave the Vault.

Fallout 3 starts you off to search for a way to purify the water of the Wasteland.
Fallout 1 starts you off to search for a water purification chip for you Vault.

Fallout 3 reveals the origins of the Super Mutants in the East Coast through Vault 87.
Fallout 1 reveals the origins of the Super Mutants (at the time, totally) in the West Coast.

Fallout 3 kicks you out of the Vault after you save it.

Fallout 1 kicks you out of the Vault after you save it.
- They use the same line too. You're a hero and you have to go.

Fallout 3 has the Brotherhood who view the Super Mutants as a threat and resolves to defend the Capital Wasteland from them.

Fallout 1 introduces the Breotherhood who view the Super Mutans as a threat and hope to outlive them. Vault Dweller CAN convince them to fight them.

Fallout 3, Dogmeat
Fallout 1, Dogmeat.

Fallout 3 has you search for the GECK to purify water.
Fallout 2 has you search for the GECK to save your village.

Fallout 3  has the Enclave come in all evillike.
Fallout 2 has the Enclave come in all evillike.

Fallout 3 has Enclave decide to purify the Wastes through destroying all mutant life through reverse egineering the FEV virus and releasing it through the water.

Fallout 2 has Enclave decide to purify the Wastes through destroying all mutant life through reverse egineering the FEV virus and releasing it through the air.

Fallout 3, sadistic mastermind is a robot president.

Fallout 2, sadistic mastermind is a human president.

Other issues too, Fallout 3 has:
- Heavily accented characters despite being hundreds of years after bombs fell and heavily unlikely to be immigrants.

- Unexplained how people survive in these conditions with no way to grow food, no caravans, etc.

- Eating ancient food.

- Really, really dumb, almost parody events, like super heroes. These types of things would exist in Classic Fallout, but as a special encounter easter egg. Wild Wasteland trait filled that void in New Vegas. I do forgive Liberty Prime.

- Broken Companions, namely Fawkes.

- Really, really black and white. Evil is evil, good is good. No moral ambitiousness. Classic Fallout fans really complain about this, and I admit, they're right, but 2 did this too, with the Enclave. Can't forgive 2 for that. Fallout 1 was better at this with The Master of the Unity.

- Super Mutants were REALLLLLLLLLLY nerfed. Used to be, you couldn't take a Super Mutant on unless you had Power Armor, or at least Combat Armor, and by 3 you could killed one with your fists at level 1.
- Mothership Zeta. Aliens were implied to exist before, but merely as an easter egg. Zeta.... yeah.

- Ruined Brotherhood turning them into shining white knights clad power armor, making them goody good guys. Making new fans believe that the more selfish BoS in New Vegas was off, when New Vegas' BoS is true to form. Actually, I wouldn't have had a problem with them if they were called the Outcast when the Outcast is more like the original Brotherhood. They do actually explain, in game, that they're not like their original faction, but the Fo3 presence of the BoS is so big, new players, get confused.

- Fallout 3's ugly, UGLY Enclave Armor.

Those are some of the problems.

Fallout 3 was my first one, too. I used to defend it vigorously, Thought New Vegas was really "Meh." Then played the originals, now I can see how much is honestly wrong with 3. Now NV is my favorite. NV, 1, 2, and then 3. I don't hate 3, but it's my least favorite.

I still don't find Mr. New Vegas or New Vegas' radio pleasant, however.

It looks like they tried bringing the art style back to the older Fallouts actually. The older games had that spandex look for the jumpsuits.

lmDp5Cc.jpg

Also too, the trailer looks like it's they were trying to invoke the same sort of thing as the intro cinematic for the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA

Though I think they kinda derped out and went on a wild tangent with that dog (I was beginning to think "Is this game seriously going to be about the dog?")

Looks interesting, I guess. Not a lot to go off of with this trailer.

The artstyle kinda reminds me of Bioshock, probably due to the more vivid colors being used along with the improved lighting. Bit more interested in seeing how they've fleshed out the gameplay since New Vegas, but I suppose we'll have to wait until E3 for that.

Also not feeling too hot about the possibility of having your character voiced. I'd rather feel like I am the game's protagonist instead of feeling like I'm just in control of the protagonist's every move, if that makes sense. Then again it could have just been for the trailer, so I guess we'll have to wait until E3 for more development on that as well.

I'm not against voiced protagonist, I liked Mass Effect's dialogue style, myself.

You know what would be awesome? If Obsidian were to make a follow up to New Vegas. Like, it might not happen, because they're currently pretty much milking Pillars of Eternity for what it's worth, but they and Bethesda have mentioned that they would like to work together again.

So I spent some time looking at that script leak that was posted back in 2013...

7lE5f1P.jpg

And I guess it's pretty much confirmed true considering the vault dweller in the trailer has the same pattern on the arm of his vault suit.

WTJCqO2.png

Here's some other stuff I noticed in regard to the leak and today's trailer:

Assuming it is the real deal, the leaked documents mention that the player is cryogenically frozen when the bombs hit, which might explain why this vault looks so different compared to others we've seen in the past:

EGKynZS.png

It's also the same vault the player rises out of earlier in the trailer.

The leaked documents also mentioned the player having a wife and baby, which I imagine are shown here:

TtlvV5z.png

Note how the same family from the previous pic is also seen at the vault's entrance right when the bombs hit:

hDITIHi.png

Of course, this is all assuming that the leak is real, which it very well may not be. But if it is then that might confirm that the player character will indeed have a voice in this game among other things.

300px-Riley_render_CoDG.png

CoD Dog confirmed to be Game Jumping. Has he not learned from Ralph? It's only a matter of time...

mOlvjl8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably to show that Nintendo was doing decent fur in 2002, while that dog's coat is seemingly just a flat texture.

Probably to show that Nintendo was doing decent fur in 2002, while that dog's coat is seemingly just a flat texture.

That was only in cutscenes. And Bethesda has never done well in the graphical department, especially in terms of animation. For a Bethesda game? This actually looks spectacular. I don't think anyone was expecting Bethesda to make a benchmark game like The Witcher 3.

That was only in cutscenes. And Bethesda has never done well in the graphical department, especially in terms of animation. For a Bethesda game? This actually looks spectacular. I don't think anyone was expecting Bethesda to make a benchmark game like The Witcher 3.

I'd be getting it for the PC anyway for the graphics mods. Even then I'm more interested in the game play than anything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't subscribe to the view I articulate, just to let you know. I agree with you on the graphics front - I thought for sure we'd be getting a slightly prettier Skyrim, rather than the gorgeous beast we have here.

The video and screens seem like they might be a bit bullshotty though, we might get a bit of a visual downgrade by release.

Probably. That seems to be today's trend. Still though, I like what I see from an aesthetic standpoint. If it's one thing I can always credit Bethesda for, it's that they are usually a very honest and open company.

The video and screens seem like they might be a bit bullshotty though, we might get a bit of a visual downgrade by release.

• Thumbs Up 1

The lighting looks super fantastic but the dog and the character are rough as shit. Could be real, could be faked, honestly have no idea.

Nobody's arguing that it's literally fake, only that it may not be representative of actual gameplay. Hence "bullshots".

There's now a 4K version of the asset, for you to scrub through for hidden secrets.

fallout4kjpg-64b4f3.jpg

I'm going to say that this is crazy and probably nothing, but some of the areas where paint has chipped away on the tilted section of the roof look like they spell out "101".

Given the Boston setting, I'd be very surprised if we didn't revisit D.C. in some form in a DLC adventure.

tumblr_npikpjoctP1tgvidjo1_540.jpg

Well, at least we know the trailer wasn't bullshotted :V

It was only just announced, and it already has bugs.

That says a lot about Fallout.

• 2 weeks later...

That says a lot about Fallout.

It says a lot about the size of the game world, all the things you can do therein, and what would be a very, very long bug testing process if you wanted to render that size of game bug free.