Awoo.

Fallout 4 (PS4, X1, PC) "Pip-Boys, pre-orders & parties"

Badnik Mechanic

Oh Bethesda, you and your glitches and bugs. XP

Anyway, Fallout 4 looks great! Don't care if it doesn't look like a next gen game, Bethesda games usually don't since they're more about gameplay and I like what I see. Only thing that bothers me is a talking protagonist, cos now I don't see it as my own character. D:

While I'm happy console users get to experience the mods us PC version users have been using for years, there needs to be some safeguards in place that the PC version has the luxury of not dealing with.  Some mods can break a game if they are put in the wrong load order or conflict with other mods.  Some mods might crash the game if they are too much for the system to handle.  Because you can easily and freely look into your game's data files and fix the issue, PC users almost never have to worry about a mod not working and crashing a game.  Consoles keep game files closed off to prevent tampering with and could be more difficult to fix the game after a crash.  So that's one issue that needs to be addressed.

Another one is adult and copywrite material in mods.  Adult mods consistently are the most downloaded genre of mods in the elder scrolls series and have been for a long time.  These adult mods as well as mods containing copywrite material like Cloud's Buster Sword might have to be policed by Bethesda to prevent content that might go against what the console maker wants and prevent legal issues down the road.  PC by its free nature doesn't have to worry about these sort of things.  It'll be interesting to see how PS4 and Xbox deal with these hurdles. 

Also people on consoles can't complain about lack of content or bugs because they can now mod the game

:P

• 1 month later...

Update: Bethesda's Head of Marketing, Pete Hines, clarified that you can only romance the human companions.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Leaked Fallout gameplay (probably on the XBONE). Unless you were super hyped for the game you'll probably see what you get. Maybe OK, maybe not.

The video has some noticeable audio delay so I'd recommend to not take these videos entirely for granted in terms of final quality (especially on PC), but the gameplay is about what you'd expect.

Regarding the writing, yeah it's incredibly meh. Kind of a shame that Bethesda's work on Fallout (3 and 4) isn't as great or interesting as the old games, or hell even New Vegas (Which was done by a completely different dev)

Edited by Kaze no Klonoa

So it looks like GAME are having a meltdown and so many Pip-Boy Edition pre-orders are getting cancelled. GAME seem to be telling it as a payment process problem through the use of Card and/or Paypal. 

Seemingly though, there isn't any comment whether any standard edition pre-orders have been cancelled leading most to believe that GAME simply just didn't have enough stock to meet demand. 

Personally, I'm not entirely surprised. Feel sorry for people that are finding this out now, with only 4 days before release :/ Despite being a UK citizen, I personally pre-ordered through Amazon US as soon as it was announced due to the fact it wasn't on any UK stores immediately. And I'm not a fan of GAME

Purchased Fallout 4 and currently installing.

CTesOx-WwAIs19z.jpg:large

I traded in Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Uncharted; Nathan Drake Collection and The Evil Within at my local GAME store, so I only had to pay £5 for Fallout 4!

*Inserts disc.* "There is not enough storage space". Son of a bitch!

*Deletes some game data* There we go. "Now just waits patiently for Fallout 4 to install.......

I'm really amazed how much the user/player opinions seem to differ from the company opinions. Lots of negatives on Steam, Metacritic user opinion is in the red. I hear companies buy reviews though, so I never paid them much mind.

Yeah, but I wasn't expecting much from Bethesda, I'm more of a Classic and New Vegas fan of Fallout. I haven't looked up spoilers, and my brother in law got the game recently so I plan on playing around Thanksgiving. He told me he was disappointed in the game after I had him play the Classics (just overall a much, much better world and story).

Still, I'll give the game a fair shot, if anybody cares, after I play it I'll write up my thoughts. Introduced to series by 3, loved it originally. Played Classics and opinion of 3 dropped very harshly.

I'm really amazed how much the user/player opinions seem to differ from the company opinions. Lots of negatives on Steam, Metacritic user opinion is in the red. I hear companies buy reviews though, so I never paid them much mind.

Yeah, but I wasn't expecting much from Bethesda, I'm more of a Classic and New Vegas fan of Fallout. I haven't looked up spoilers, and my brother in law got the game recently so I plan on playing around Thanksgiving. He told me he was disappointed in the game after I had him play the Classics (just overall a much, much better world and story).

Still, I'll give the game a fair shot, if anybody cares, after I play it I'll write up my thoughts. Introduced to series by 3, loved it originally. Played Classics and opinion of 3 dropped very harshly.

I'm a bit like this myself. Started with Fallout 3, loved the game more than any RPG out there. Played New Vegas, wasn't as fond of it at first then got hooked on it. Then bought and played the original; took my time with it and got the hang of it. And while I adore the original games. I still love New Vegas. Currently playing Fallout 3 now and I don't seem to care for it as much which is a little disheartening. And while I look forward to my Pip-Boy edition arriving and playing Fallout 4. Some aspects are making me uneasy about playing it. Such as the Power Armour basically being there from the start and it runs on energy. I preferred running around the wasteland with it as my general attire! D: 

And with all the ads and gameplay videos, it seems like they really force Dogmeat on you, which I DON'T want! D: I know you can get rid of him/her, but is it as soon as you get paired up with him/her? Or are you stuck with them for a wee bit? Because that would kinda kill the experience for me a little...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a bit like this myself. Started with Fallout 3, loved the game more than any RPG out there. Played New Vegas, wasn't as fond of it at first then got hooked on it. Then bought and played the original; took my time with it and got the hang of it. And while I adore the original games. I still love New Vegas. Currently playing Fallout 3 now and I don't seem to care for it as much which is a little disheartening. And while I look forward to my Pip-Boy edition arriving and playing Fallout 4. Some aspects are making me uneasy about playing it. Such as the Power Armour basically being there from the start and it runs on energy. I preferred running around the wasteland with it as my general attire! D: 

And with all the ads and gameplay videos, it seems like they really force Dogmeat on you, which I DON'T want! D: I know you can get rid of him/her, but is it as soon as you get paired up with him/her? Or are you stuck with them for a wee bit? Because that would kinda kill the experience for me a little...

My experience was:

Fallout 3, played for first time, "OH MY GAWD BEST GAEM EVUR". Then New Vegas, "Ehhh... it's alright. I miss my smashy up buildings and the music isn't as good. But story and choice is a lot more engaging." Then I was like, "You know, I want to learn the lore." Tried to play Fallout 1, it was so different and I got rekt so hard by a rad scorprion, I was like "Pfft, screw this game, it sucks!" Waited a few months, then replayed it, got better at it, then I was amazed at how fun the story actually is. And how deep seated the lore is in New Vegas. Seriously, after playing the first two games, the lore in New Vegas was like, "Whoa, I got that reference! I got this too! Holy crap, it's Marcus!" It really showed how much Obsdian paid attention to the old details and how much Bethesda... doesn't.

I feel like most fans who start out with 3 and care about lore follow this same path.

Rather, 3 just takes 1 and 2, rewrites and abridges the story, and places it in the East and makes it a soft reboot of the series because the rules of the West don't seem to apply to the East and yet it somehow does... It gives its own excuse to why Super Mutants are in the East and yet they're so vastly different from the ones in the West. The West is so civilized and the East seems like it's 20 years after the bombs fell.

Also I hate how Super Mutants became a real common enemy in 3. In 1, you couldn't even tackle these guys without AT LEAST Combat Armor, and now you can run out with your Vault Suit at a low level an beat them with a baseball bat.

I dunno, I just feel like Bethesda should have just made its own post apocalyptic series, at times, but eh...

I'm still gonna try to give Fallout 4 a fair shot, going to try to put biases to the side to analyze it, but I still might be a bit hung up on lore.

Edited by WittyUsername®

My experience was:

Fallout 3, played for first time, "OH MY GAWD BEST GAEM EVUR". Then New Vegas, "Ehhh... it's alright. I miss my smashy up buildings and the music isn't as good. But story and choice is a lot more engaging." Then I was like, "You know, I want to learn the lore." Tried to play Fallout 1, it was so different and I got rekt so hard by a rad scorprion, I was like "Pfft, screw this game, it sucks!" Waited a few months, then replayed it, got better at it, then I was amazed at how fun the story actually is. And how deep seated the lore is in New Vegas. Seriously, after playing the first two games, the lore in New Vegas was like, "Whoa, I got that reference! I got this too! Holy crap, it's Marcus!" It really showed how much Obsdian paid attention to the old details and how much Bethesda... doesn't.

I feel like most fans who start out with 3 and care about lore follow this same path.

Rather, 3 just takes 1 and 2, rewrites and abridges the story, and places it in the East and makes it a soft reboot of the series because the rules of the West don't seem to apply to the East and yet it somehow does... It gives its own excuse to why Super Mutants are in the East and yet they're so vastly different from the ones in the West. The West is so civilized and the East seems like it's 20 years after the bombs fell.

Also I hate how Super Mutants became a real common enemy in 3. In 1, you couldn't even tackle these guys without AT LEAST Combat Armor, and now you can run out with your Vault Suit at a low level an beat them with a baseball bat.

I dunno, I just feel like Bethesda should have just made its own post apocalyptic series, at times, but eh...

I'm still gonna try to give Fallout 4 a fair shot, going to try to put biases to the side to analyze it, but I still might be a bit hung up on lore.

Dude! Your like my kindred spirit! This is pretty much exactly what I went through. Although dying almost immediately upon leaving Vault 13, I didn't wait a few months, rather just a few hours before not letting the game get the best of me.

But yeah I get what you mean. I've been replaying New Vegas for the last two weeks and loving it just as much as always. Restarted Fallout 3 today and I just see so much wrong with it. There are the odd occasional references in Fallout 3 though, but they kinda go in over your head. But if I remember right, I'm pretty sure some of the Interplay staff that worked on Fallout/Fallout 2/Fallout: Tactics work at Obsidian. And even though Fallout 4 has just been released, I really wish Obsidian were working on another Fallout Spin-off in the background. They just seemed to 'nail-it'...

Unfortunately Fallout 4 doesn't take a lot of the elements the classics and NV have. I did not enjoy 3, and that's sort of reflecting on 4 right now. It's still a good game, but I would not get your hopes up if you liked what Obsidian/Interplay did with the games. Because that's not there.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are the odd occasional references in Fallout 3 though, but they kinda go in over your head.

There's a few, the "Shady Sand Shuffle" for instance. Harold being in Fallout 3 (but he's a tree now and for some reason in DC... I dunno why.), some Brotherhood of Steel member actually mentioning that the REAL BoS are technophile hoarders, but the way it's set up, where Outcasts, the true BoS attitude, is named "the Outcast" makes you feel like the real BoS are white knight of the wastes.... when they're not. It leaves people confused.

It's weird, they make things look like the old games but also make it look completely different.

• Thumbs Up 1