Awoo.

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection - DEMO OUT NOW ON PS STORE! - COMING OCT 7th for EU and 9th for USA

Ryannumber1gamer

It's a bit more than the average HD remaster, but if these games are as great as everyone says they are, that won't stop me from getting this once it releases. 

It's a bit more than the average HD remaster, but if these games are as great as everyone says they are, that won't stop me from getting this once it releases. 

Only the second one is that great.

In retrospect it's honestly a pretty average series. The first one might have been considered good at the start of last gen, but honestly so much of the design is bad by gen 5 standards that I'm gonna assume people only liked it in 2007 because the PS3 was so amazingly starved of anything good at the time.

Uncharted 2 tho... That shit is everything the internet hypes it to be and more. Like holy shit, the way everything in that game just flows so naturally, the way the shooting, the adventure, the narrative, and the spectacle all come together so brilliantly Goddamn, $59.99 is a reasonable price just for that one alone!

Three though feels like something that should have come in between one and two. It's better than the first, but the design got kind of shitty again. Most of the first one's flaws are back, with gunfights going on way too long and the narrative falling apart, not like Uncharted 2's which for the most part worked perfectly aside from some dumbness. In any case, the game manages to be pretty fun, but good god is pretty fun a massive let down after the mind blowing utter godliness of Uncharted 2.

But in any case, yeah Uncharted 2 alone is worth the 60 bucks, so do it!

• Thumbs Up 1

He's right. Honestly, Uncharted 1 pissed me the hell off and Uncharted 3, although good isn't as good as 2. Uncharted 2 though...WOW. Easily one of my favorite games ever.

In any case I already have all 3 games on PS3 and I don't particularly care about partaking in the U4 multiplayer beta. I might as well trade in all 3 games and get this with a discount.

I prefer 3 to the other two. Better gameplay, story, graphics and set pieces. It's not perfect by any means, though, there are some weird plot holes.

I thought Uncharted 3 was the best of the trilogy as well tbh.

At least we can all agree Drake's Fortune was the worst.

Yeah, UC1 feels barebones after the sequels. It's good-great and I loved it but the follow up was just top tier. Will be interesting seeing how much they touch it up for this release.

UC3 had this stupid aiming issue that got patched and some parts of the plot felt disjointed (partly because half the cast had to leave during production) but it has the biggest Sully ratio and some amazing scenes, so it's understandable some people would prefer it. My personal top is either that or U2 depending on the mood.

I have something of a love hate relationship with the Uncharted games.

On the one hand, each one feels like a proper Indy adventure, complete with exotic locations, legendary artifacts hidden in amazing lost places, mad villains and all that. The gameplay is fine, the voice acting is great, the puzzles are okay, and Drake's journal is pretty kickass. Actually, has the journal been released as a fun companion book for Uncharted fans? If not, it should be. Anyway, it does the crazy adventuring thing incredibly well, and it's hard not to love Drake. I just have some.... issues , mainly with the gameplay.

On the other hand, though, and very unlike Indy, you've got Drake - this freelance archaeologist with little or no apparent combat training - mowing down hundreds, if not thousands, of enemies (who are usually well trained soldiers) over the course of each game. Fair enough, even Indy got a few kills in here and there, but this is excessive to the point that it breaks my ability to suspend my sense of disbelief. You're not just popping off one or two guys here and there, it's frequently dozens at a time. It's as if the developers have no idea how to add challenge to a game beyond throwing wave after wave of bullet sponges at the player. Now sure, there are a few puzzles, and there's a lot of climbing around, and yeah that gets old, but so does all that gunplay. And then when the developers start thinking, "What about stealth?" which frankly should have been an optional gameplay feature throughout, they quickly give up on that idea and suddenly, inexplicably, we're back to Gears of Drake.

I'm not trying to suck the fun out of everything, but letting the player play it stealthy for much larger portions of the game would sure be nice.

It'd also sure be great if Drake, an archaeologist who supposedly loves history, could find ways to keep the enemy from these fantastical ancient cities other than outright destroying them, albeit accidentally. He's 3 for 3 right now and it's so damn depressing every time we get to the end again and, oh hey, another city is being destroyed.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is interesting to see. And seeing how a lot of new sequels nowadays are saying "Check out the older games to catch up to the new one!", this doesn't entirely surprise me.

I would love a few of the checkpoints to be fixed, especially the ones in the sections you require stealth. Some of the checkpoints saved with you already spotted, even if you sneaked the whole way through. It was way too irritating and required you to go to an earlier save. That annoyed the shit out of me.

It'd also sure be great if Drake, an archaeologist who supposedly loves history

wut. He's a treasure hunter and professional thief. He's worked before with shady merc groups and spent time in jail. Where does the archaeologist thing come from?

The shooting happens because the core gameplay is a TPS, so you get to shoot peoples. Would be neat if they expanded the platforming/puzzling sections in U4 tho. I've always said they should go full Plato's Lost Dialogue with the journal and up the difficulty, add an easy puzzle option SH-style for casuals if necessary.

Also if the ancient ruin doesn't self destruct at the end then why even build it

wut. He's a treasure hunter and professional thief. He's worked before with shady merc groups and spent time in jail. Where does the archaeologist thing come from?

I made what was an incorrect assumption, based on the fact that he knows so much about history and has such a deep interest in it, and is always chasing down artifacts like Indy.

Oh, I thought it would be a subplot from the comics I haven't read or something similar.

It's clear Nate's character likes the discovery factor and he knows his shit but he is also in for the money.  Just not greedy enough to the point where he'd risk having some maniac keep a potentially lethal artefact or whatever is happening. It's not his fault either that ancient structures cannot deal with his doughnut abuse.

You make him sound more like Han Solo than Indiana Jones, heh.

I'll probably end up getting this collection, but I might just wait and see if they do a four game collection later on instead. I'd rather just have everything in one box, y'know?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Uncharted PS4 Collection Trailer Released, Uber-Difficult Mode Confirmed

Sony has posted a new story trailer and revealed more details about the upcoming game's three difficulty options.

The two-minute video provides a top-level overview for the overall story, setting up key characters like Drake, Sully, and Elena, as well as their respective motivations across the three games. There are of course some spoilers, so if you're looking to dive in fresh this coming October, you may want to avoid the video.

The Nathan Drake Collection will include three new difficulty options/modes: Explorer, Speed Run, and Brutal. For more on these, take a look at the bullet points below, written by Naughty Dog.

• Explorer Mode is an all-new mode for beginners where combat difficulty is reduced greatly.
  • Speed Run Mode adds a timer that allows players to track their gameplay time against their friends as they play sections of the game.
  • Brutal Difficulty Mode is the ultimate challenge as the gameplay will be more punishing than Crushing Difficulty (unlocked after beating Crushing Difficulty in the same game).

Developed by Bluepoint Games (who worked on the MGS HD Collection). Players can expect better lighting, rendering, texture mapping, and new audio refinements.

What's more, The Nathan Drake Collection includes over 65 character skins--including Doughnut Drake--that you can outfit Drake with for the three campaigns (the collection does not include multiplayer support). The bundle also has a new Photo Mode that players can use to snap in-game photos and share with friends.

Everyone who buys The Nathan Drake Collection will receive access to the Uncharted 4: A Thief's End multiplayer beta, though Sony has yet to provide any details about this.

The Nathan Drake Collection launches on October 9, but you won't have to wait that long to play, as a demo will be available later this summer.

In other news about The Nathan Drake Collection, Sony announced previously that the famously difficult jet ski scene from the original Drake's Fortune will not be changed for the upcoming re-release.

•  
  • Thumbs Up 1

drake-facial-comp.jpg

Massive upgrade for UC1's character model.

Trailer is super spoilery tho.

In other news about The Nathan Drake Collection, Sony announced previously that the famously difficult jet ski scene from the original Drake's Fortune will not be changed for the upcoming re-release.

That's weird, I recall the jet ski sections were easy. IIRC in one of them you can stop and aim at your leisure to carefully clear the route, in the other you can just blind fire and your partner will autoaim.

Hell, you even get a grenade launcher with infinite ammo in one of the two and that shit oneshots mercs with a generous radius.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Sorry for the bump. Didn't want to post a new topic for this.

I recently played through Uncharted 4 and it was so good I had to go back and play the older titles in the franchise. I had a difficult time trying to find a new copy of this collection. I had been looking for several weeks and finally managed to get hold of a copy. I had briefly played Uncharted 2 for about 20 minutes many years ago and that's it. I also had Golden Abyss for the Vita back in 2012.

I decided to skip the first Uncharted and just watch the cutscenes on Youtube. I'm currently at the end of Uncharted 2. I'm somewhat mixed on it. I can see it being impressive for its time but I don't think it holds up quite well today. Especially compared to Uncharted 4. The story is quite poorly paced and seems to jump from point to point with little reaction from the characters. There's hardly any realism to the story and it just seems a little too over the top. The first Uncharted had similar issues with its story. Uncharted 4 had an excellent story with believable tight writing, so this is quite disappointing. Gameplay wise, it's pretty enjoyable. It's just more of the same. I did run into some issues with the stealth mechanics being a little glitchy. The graphics look decent but haven't aged too well. This remaster could've had more effort put into preserving the graphics. New character models and lighting would have been nice. Improvements to movement would have been nice as well. Perhaps that's asking a little too much.

I'm looking forward to playing Uncharted 3. I'm expecting it to be far more modernized and closer to the experience I had with Uncharted 4. I understand it won't be quite up there but still. I suppose I feel that the series has really hit a huge peak with Uncharted 4. I'm not the only one either, since Uncharted 4 has broken records and become the highest selling entry in the franchise. It's just a shame that the series is most likely over now. They wrapped up Nathan Drake's story in a way which showed they were finished with it. I suppose they could continue the series with another character but frankly I have no interest in playing as any other character. Nathan Drake is Uncharted, similar to how Lara Croft is Tomb Raider, or how Link is The Legend of Zelda, etc.

The Nathan Drake Collection is bittersweet for me overall. I doubt Sony is finished with the series after its recent success but I guess we'll see.

On 11/11/2018 at 1:40 AM, Stritix said:

The graphics look decent but haven't aged too well. This remaster could've had more effort put into preserving the graphics. New character models and lighting would have been nice. Improvements to movement would have been nice as well. Perhaps that's asking a little too much.

Well yeah improvements to movement would require remaking, not remastering. As for the rest of what you said here, Bluepoint did all that, they replaced the models with improved versions and made the lighting better:

Bluepoint are the best in the world at remastering and remaking games, you could never get a better remaster than this, I don't know what you were expecting from PS3 games remastered for PS4. Making it look as gorgeous as Uncharted 4 would be impossible unless they remade the games from scratch.

On 11/13/2018 at 4:46 PM, pppp said:

Well yeah improvements to movement would require remaking, not remastering. As for the rest of what you said here, Bluepoint did all that, they replaced the models with improved versions and made the lighting better:

Bluepoint are the best in the world at remastering and remaking games, you could never get a better remaster than this, I don't know what you were expecting from PS3 games remastered for PS4. Making it look as gorgeous as Uncharted 4 would be impossible unless they remade the games from scratch.

This isn't true. They had access to the source code so they could've made improvements to the movement without remaking anything. However, I can understand them wanting to stay true to the original. I suppose I just don't think the original has aged well. The improvements they made to the graphics are minor.

I'm currently playing Uncharted 3 and it looks almost as good as Uncharted 4. The improvement in graphics compared to Uncharted 2 is really impressive. I'm actually enjoying everything about Uncharted 3 much more than Uncharted 2. I honestly think it's really underrated. I feel like they should've delayed it, added a few more chapters, then released it as a PS4 launch title.

Unfortunately, Uncharted 3 remastered is missing some graphical effects from the PS3 version. I guess Bluepoint dropped the ball when it came to remastering Uncharted 3.

1 hour ago, Stritix said:

Unfortunately, Uncharted 3 remastered is missing some graphical effects from the PS3 version. I guess Bluepoint dropped the ball when it came to remastering Uncharted 3.

Dude you have no idea what you're talking about, so I'll just drop the conversation.

2 hours ago, pppp said:

Dude you have no idea what you're talking about, so I'll just drop the conversation.

Then why bother responding just to be ignorant.

Smaller details such as hair and Nathan Drake's scarf lack the physics found in the original. There are also some missing shadows. It's not a big deal. However, I ran into a number of game breaking glitches in my playthrough. I don't know if these glitches were in the original or not.

I just finished Uncharted 3 and overall, I'm really impressed. I think Naughty Dog topped themselves with each new installment in the franchise. I'm just disappointed they decided to end Nathan Drake's story. Debating on picking up Uncharted: The Lost Legacy next.

On 11/16/2018 at 3:01 PM, pppp said:

You're telling someone this based on what? Your arbitrary line in the sand for what constitutes a "remake" vs a "remaster"? Stritix saying that Bluepoint screwed up some of the graphics when porting them over; which is a common occurrence in these sorts of things including in other ones Bluepoint has done?

If you're going to run away from a fight you picked, just do it. Don't make a big flashy "you're not worth my time" post when you haven't actually done much to begin with beyond post a YouTube video.