Awoo.

The Alton Towers Roller Coaster Crash

Badnik Mechanic

The mirror is a trashy tabloid. Do you realise that?

Roller coaster breakdowns happen all the time. There was no 'accident' here. It's a minor inconvenience that meant the ride had to stop. There was no danger to anybody in any of these situations. The Smiler's crash was certainly an accident/incident, make no mistake about that.

If this had happened any time before The Smiler's crash, then sites like this simply wouldn't care. It's non-researched, click-baiting sensationalist garbage, and nothing more. Even a few weeks ago, they reported another ride at the park (Octonauts) had a horrible problem... When it was actually a standard ride evacuation.

And sorry. Lines like 'Left dangling upside down for hours' just make me and other ride enthusiasts cringe. That's like... the absolute lowest. That's the kind of shit you hear from your friends on the playground when you're 7. Are they upside down in that picture? No.

• Thumbs Up 1

Air's entire gimmick is that you are lying face down for the ride. They're no more upside down than you would be in bed.

They really are just using the word "accident" as click-bait and as a way of riding the waves from the Smiler accident. Standard breakdowns aren't accidents, inconveniences sure but not accidents. All machines break down from time to time, even their daily checks before the park opens can't possibly compensate for that.

Given the heat, I can imagine they were possibly uncomfortable, but Air was in fact only stranded for around twenty minutes.

Actually, I'm just checking their page now and it seems it does now read as "face-down" rather than upside down. Not sure if they've done the classic trick of editing it and acting like nothing happened but at least it's a bit more accurate.

Anyway, everybody's safe and sound. That's all that matters.

Yeah. The Mirror just seems to be insanely trigger happy on Alton Towers. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if somebody sneezed on a ride, and they say report with some crap like 'Ride responsible for massive hay fever outbreak' or something.

What the hell is going on with Alton Towers? I was thinking of going there this year, but not any more honestly.

Seriously. Alton Towers is a very safe resort.

Anything you see coming out of the tabloids here are looking for a quick story and nothing more. After all, the very paper who seems to have gone about making a daily habit of bashing Alton Towers is now publishing stories about the attraction's 'accidents' being a result of the place being cursed by evil spirits. Right.

In all seriousness, the risks we take day to day such as taking a drive in the car, taking a plane to go on holiday and even climbing into lawn chairs carry much higher probabilities of serious injury. Heck. You're more than 3 times more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to sustain bad injury on a roller coaster.

Of course, if people are still unwilling to go even with odds like that, then I guess there's no stopping them from doing so. Even if most of the discouragement is from scaremongering tabloids.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, with everything that has happened with Alton Towers lately, I'd rather go to another theme park.

• 4 months later...