Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 2015

Hero of Legend

SO. The reason why Zelda Wii U wasn't shown at E3 was because:

Full interview here: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/18/e3-2015-why-nintendo-didnt-show-zelda-wii-u

If that was the case then why was Xenoblade shown about 2 E3's ago? Why was Zelda shown before this E3? Yeah I call bullshit on this one Reggie. Miyamoto clearly said that they even had "great Zelda footage to show"...

This especially doesn't make sense as they first showcased Splatoon at last year's Digital Event, and that was positively received by the press and fans for it's innovative take on the TPS genre-which was further solidified by the Treehouse demos of the game they had running for it.

If anything, Splatoon's case was practically a good sweet spot for when they should show their upcoming games-a year before their release. Not too close for people to wonder if they have anything for next year, and not too far for people to claim they revealed the game too early, while also providing just enough information to tide people over until more information on the game is revealed in the following months.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah look at the criticism Sony is getting for Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy 7!

Of course they're not getting criticism for it. The mere fact that the games exist is something people are going to get excited about no matter what. It wasn't until a year or two after Final Fantasy XIII Versus was revealed that people started to get pissed off about that too.

Not that I haven't been personally vocal at the whole insisting nature of turning E3 into a race of generating hype rather than making it an honest upfront hands-on showcase of games that we can play and will soon play. Sony's conference was great no doubt but knowing that I'm going to have to wait years to play most of these is a frustrating piece of knowledge that I'm not excited about - especially considering some of the developers bringing these games have a notorious history of not providing these games on time. It's far more exciting to get hyped about something when we find out it's been in development for a long time and will soon be ready to play rather than announcing it and then not knowing where the fuck you'll go with it. Square Enix are the biggest offenders of this and while I enjoyed their conference, much of it was still "promises, promises, promises". You could say the same goes for Zelda as well since that series has a history of getting last minute delays. I don't hold the Shenmue 3 announcement that accountable because it's getting Kickstarter treatment.

Incidentally I recall one of the main lines of criticism last year against Nintendo's showing used to be "everything is 2015". And we're in 2015 right now which arguably has a more diverse and better line-up than the Wii U had last year, so nothing has happened to deter that. 2015 is still a generally good year for Wii U software if you subscribed two years ago to the generally accepted notion that you'll only get games for it every once in a while that will have proven to be of timeless quality. Wii U is beyond the point that it'll have a decently padded out release schedule, so let's all act surprised when in 2015, 3 years after release and obvious signs that the Wii U is going to be killed off early, nothing has changed on part of the developers who are making games for the thing.

The sad fact is I'd rather be disappointed by an honest showing in an immediate future than being sold on some vague promise that I can't guarantee will be what I want or expect it to be. Nintendo had a mediocre showing? That's fine, I can live with that. If they're leveraging this thing on their own, not every year will be good for them and by 2016 it's clear that they're setting their sights on new consoles instead, so it's better they run with what they have right now.

• Thumbs Up 8

Honestly, I can't defend the direction behind the direct, there were a couple of mistakes behind that. But something to keep in mind is Nintendo has been moving towards using E3 as an outreach to fans to create more joy than simply hype. So I have a question for you guys:

Between the Excitement of the smash reveal direct, the Fun of the Nintendo World Championship, the Zaniness of the Digital Event, and The chance to get a closer look at upcoming games, did you not have a fun time? Don't you have a greater interest in what was shown? Finally, don't you feel that Nintendo still has good experiences up and coming on its systems? If so you get the point of why Nintendo came to E3 this year

When it comes to hype and upcoming games, Nintendo has liked to spread it out as well over directs so instead of giving it all away at once, they can give it in doses to keep constant interest. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new direct in a month with some new games and the next Smash DLC characters.

I just think that the new Zelda is going to pull a Twilight Princess and be on the NX as well at launch.

Speculation is so rife on the subject that it may even be worth Nintendo's time to issue a specific denial of that theory.

• Thumbs Up 3

I just think that the new Zelda is going to pull a Twilight Princess and be on the NX as well at launch.

or even better the new Zelda could pull a Skyward Sword and be released on the Wii U a year earlier before the NX releases.

Reggie's comment was pretty damn stupid. -__- He obviously forgot about those years when Nintendo showed off games like Zelda U, Xenoblade X and Splatoon.

Oh screw it. E3 is over now anyway and it's been rumoured that another Direct will pop in a few months time. Let's see what Nintendo has in store then.

or even better the new Zelda could pull a Skyward Sword and be released on the Wii U a year earlier before the NX releases.

I think that's the more likely scenario. Zelda Wii U will be the swansong for the system, and that will probably be it.

I think that's the more likely scenario. Zelda Wii U will be the swansong for the system, and that will probably be it.

Considering how adamant they are about it coming to Wii U, I'm pretty sure it damn well will be. The only reason Twilight Princess got ported anyway is because Wii had motion controls. I don't think Zelda U is getting ported; it'll be on Wii U, and if NX is a successor, it'll be backwards compatible and Zelda U will just play a bit better on NX.

I don't think we'll get too many NX launch games, but for sure we'll have a 3D Mario platformer, which is big enough as is. Retro could also potentially have an NX launch title (they currently have a Wii U title that will likely be for next year), and I think there will probably be an NX Animal Crossing title on launch.

I also think Zelda, DK, and Star Fox will be getting Amiibo lines next year.

Knowing that Nintendo announces more amiibo, even though they can't even manufacture the figures they already released, I can see these lines happening.

Knowing that Nintendo announces more amiibo, even though they can't even manufacture the figures they already released, I can see these lines happening.

Supposedly they're improving their output this year. Regardless, eventually I think they'll happen anyway. Zelda is obvious for Zelda U and HWL both out next year, Star Fox for SF this year, and DKC for the chance of possibly seeing a new DK game within the next couple years. Ok, specially, I think a new DK game is coming next year, though if it doesn't happen than a DK Amiibo line won't come then.