Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 2015

Hero of Legend

Welp, so much for the new Sonic (Boom2 announced today) and Smash Bros DLC (Sunday 14th) on my bingo card ._.

Welp, so much for the new Sonic (Boom2 announced today) and Smash Bros DLC (Sunday 14th) on my bingo card ._.

And who knows, Sonic could still show up at the Digital Event for all we know. I kinda see the lack of Wii U for Boom 2 being a positive sign. Sonic's not missed a year on consoles in like, 15 years?

Even without the Olympics, he's had a perfect attendence record.

2007 - Secret Rings

2009 - Black Knight

2011 - Generations

2013 - Lost World

Also, Tamaki teased on twitter someone from Sonic Team hinted at something about a Sonic game this year I think?

Well, Smash Bros. DLC is still probably happening. It just (likely) won't be in the Digital Event.

OH, I just had a major realization.

The announcement came at 12PM EST yesterday on Tuesday. EXACTLY A WEEK ON THE MINUTE from when the Digital Event starts. And who had the world first announcement? Nintendo (of Europe).

CAN'T be a coincidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't wait to see what Retro Studios is working on. Deep down I hope it's not another DKCR..!

As for Smash Bros DLC, I'm pretty sure all the Smash Bros hype is going to be on Sunday which means the Digital Event won't feature anything related to it. Would be redundant otherwise to have it on Sunday and then just two days later at the Digital Event.

I actually really hope it's another Donkey Kong, honestly. Tropical Freeze left me wanting more and I want a full trilogy like Metroid.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually really hope it's another Donkey Kong, honestly. Tropical Freeze left me wanting more and I want a full trilogy like Metroid.

I expect a full trilogy, I'm just iffy on it happening right now. I think Retro's post-TF project is something not related to Metroid or DK, but I do think they're likely finishing up Diddy Kong Racing as well. Yes, bringing it up again, but seriously, Retro Studios has over 100 employees as of about a year ago. They're DEFINITELY working on more than one project.

What their new project is, I have no clue. I'd love it to be a 3D DKC (its definitely not a 2D DKC; its got a brand new engine), though I doubt it. Personally I'd like it to be a revival of another classic Nintendo franchise

New Devil's Third (Wii U) trailer!

It's out in Japan on August 4th. Shocked this is airing now and not during the Digital Event or that day.

Its the Japan announcement, though while I think Nintendo will push it at E3, I wasn't sure if it was going to be in the Even or not

I expect a full trilogy, I'm just iffy on it happening right now. I think Retro's post-TF project is something not related to Metroid or DK, but I do think they're likely finishing up Diddy Kong Racing as well. Yes, bringing it up again, but seriously, Retro Studios has over 100 employees as of about a year ago. They're DEFINITELY working on more than one project.

What their new project is, I have no clue. I'd love it to be a 3D DKC (its definitely not a 2D DKC; its got a brand new engine), though I doubt it. Personally I'd like it to be a revival of another classic Nintendo franchise

Well, this just popped up to provide more fuel to the DKR rumor

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167169717&postcount=1

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it? #1

Today, on June 10, 2015, Nintendo Co., Ltd. filed a trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe via the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM). It is a basic CTM filing for a long list of goods and services, primarily video games though. It was made public today.

Trade mark information

Name: DIDDY KONG

Filing number: 014229579

Basis: CTM

Date of receipt: 10/06/2015

Type: Word

Nature: INDIVIDUAL

Nice classes: 9, 25, 28, 41 ( Nice Classification )

Vienna Classification

Filing date: 10/06/2015

Registration date

Expiry date

Designation date

Filing language: English

Second language: German

Application reference: EW32985AF

Trade mark status: Application under examination

Acquired distinctiveness: No 

Or it could mean nothing  

DIDDY DONG RACING RETURNS

ALSO ALSO ALSO PLEASE BRING BACK LANKY KONG THE TIME IS FINALLY RIGHT THANKS TO HIS MEMETIC RESURGENCE IN POPULARITY

AND CHUNKY CAUSE WHY THE FUCK NOT

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SALTY SALTY TEARS OF A THOUSAND METROID FANS

I want Retro on another non-DK game, because unless they tweak the style a bit (and god damn it stop making Diddy's voice so squeaky for no reason), I'm not creazy about how "Madagascar" the Returns games look. I really want to see how Monster would take the art style, and I'm HOPING that Kevin Bayliss is brought in to do so, since he has hinted at secret projects in addition to KI Season 2 (just concepts for characters) and Yooka-Laylee, and he was the original Art Director of the series, including DKR.

(its definitely not a 2D DKC; its got a brand new engine)

That doesn't necessarily mean it's not a new DKC. Remember, Returns and (presumably) Tropical Freeze ran on the Metroid Prime engine. It's very possible that Retro thought they could do more on an engine that wasn't ten years old.

It's no secret where my loyalties lie. I really want Retro to make another DKC game, and I'd be even happier if they made a Diddy Kong Racing sequel. Whatever they make, it's given me a big reason to pay close attention to Nintendo's E3.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now a Diddy Kong Racing sequel, I can definitely get behind that! I'd like to see Retro try their hand at a racing game for once, though I think they already did that when they co-developed Mario Kart 7!

Now a Diddy Kong Racing sequel, I can definitely get behind that! I'd like to see Retro try their hand at a racing game for once, though I think they already did that when they co-developed Mario Kart 7!

I'd hate Platinum making Metroid. That's one series and developer that simply don't match.

Retro making another DKC or Diddy Kong Racing would also be disappointing. Wii U doesn't need more kart racers and especially (2D) platformers.

I'd hate Platinum making Metroid. That's one series and developer that simply don't match.

Retro making another DKC or Diddy Kong Racing would also be disappointing. Wii U doesn't need more kart racers and especially (2D) platformers.

Just because they haven't done it before doesn't mean they couldn't do it lol.

EDIT: I agree on a new 2D DKC (that can wait until the next console, or have a brand new 2D DKC on 3DS instead), but I'd love a 3D DKC game. We've never had one before (DK64 isn't DKC), and the only 3D platformer on Wii U that I'm aware of is Super Mario 3D World. A 3D DKC would be great, though I doubt they're doing that right now.

Kart racer? We've only got Mario Kart. Plus, it doesn't necessarily have to be a "Kart" racer. What if they used the Animal Buddies instead, like what was going to happen in Donkey Kong Racing? I think that'd be amazing. Though they'd need to make a lot more rideable animals.

If they are doing it, they'd be well aware of Mario Kart 8 and do something to differentiate it from MK8.

EDIT 2: Ok, fine, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was on Wii U.

Just because they haven't done it before doesn't mean they couldn't do it lol.

Well, if you have them make it non-PG-like, what's the point of getting Platinum Games to make it?

I'd rather get something where they can really go crazy.

EDIT: I agree on a new 2D DKC (that can wait until the next console, or have a brand new 2D DKC on 3DS instead), but I'd love a 3D DKC game. We've never had one before (DK64 isn't DKC), and the only 3D platformer on Wii U that I'm aware of is Super Mario 3D World. A 3D DKC would be great, though I doubt they're doing that right now.

Kart racer? We've only got Mario Kart. Plus, it doesn't necessarily have to be a "Kart" racer. What if they used the Animal Buddies instead, like what was going to happen in Donkey Kong Racing? I think that'd be amazing. Though they'd need to make a lot more rideable animals.

If they are doing it, they'd be well aware of Mario Kart 8 and do something to differentiate it from MK8.

EDIT 2: Ok, fine, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was on Wii U.

Mario Kart is the Kart racer, though. Not much more is needed. Adventure mode is nice and all, but I still don't see it as a good idea for Nintendo or me as a gamer. It's especially not necessary to get a developer like Retro to make it when you have a developer that has already made good racing games.

I'd be heartbroken if Retro really were working on a Diddy Kong game. I just want Metroid V to be from them. A gloriously beautiful 2D Metroid adventure, with U and 3DS crossplay.

But then again, they don't exactly mention me and my wants in their ideas meetings, do they? So, probably a Retro Diddy Kong extravaganza.

I wonder if E3 will elaborate on Fire Emblem IF's amiibo compatability after the small picture we got involving the use of Robin, Lucina, Marth and Ike.

It's worth noting that the original Diddy Kong Racing rumor posited that Excitebots began as Diddy Kong Racing 2... and Excitebots is amazing and nothing like Mario Kart.

If Diddy Kong Racing 2 is a spiritual Excitebots successor featuring Diddy and pals, then oh my god that'd be beautiful.

• Thumbs Up 1

AND the vehicles originated as animal buddy karts, sounds a lot like Rambi's kart in Mario Kart DS, god that was blissful to see, that was also his only Mario appearance to date IIRC.

RambiRider.png

MKDS-Donkey_Kong_Artwork_%28alt%29.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know about that. Tropical Freeze kind of bombed.

Really? It only bombed if you compare it to past DKC games, but it didn't even close to "bomb" in actual sales. Its sold around 500k in the US (based on ACTUAL sales numbers and not just VGChartz; though they also list this number) and, based on what we've seen elsewhere, is approaching or has already topped 1m total sales worldwide (VGChartz says 1.06m, but, you know, take it with a grain of salt). For a Wii U title, that's not a "bomb" at all.

The game sold less around the time it first released, but has sold quite a bit more as time went on, especially after more people bought the console for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros.

Well, if you have them make it non-PG-like, what's the point of getting Platinum Games to make it?

I'd rather get something where they can really go crazy.

They wanted to do Star Fox at one point. That's not really something that seems like it'd be something Platinum would make, right?

I'd be heartbroken if Retro really were working on a Diddy Kong game. I just want Metroid V to be from them. A gloriously beautiful 2D Metroid adventure, with U and 3DS crossplay.

But then again, they don't exactly mention me and my wants in their ideas meetings, do they? So, probably a Retro Diddy Kong extravaganza.

Why does it have to be Retro that does a new Metroid? They did plenty of Metroid games. Can't they work on something new for a change?

I want someone else, ANYONE, to do Metroid.

Although, to be fair, if they are doing Diddy Kong Racing its not the -only- game they are working on.

Really? It only bombed if you compare it to past DKC games, but it didn't even close to "bomb" in actual sales. Its sold around 500k in the US (based on ACTUAL sales numbers and not just VGChartz; though they also list this number) and, based on what we've seen elsewhere, is approaching or has already topped 1m total sales worldwide (VGChartz says 1.06m, but, you know, take it with a grain of salt). For a Wii U title, that's not a "bomb" at all.

The game sold less around the time it first released, but has sold quite a bit more as time went on, especially after more people bought the console for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros.

Last thing I heard was that the game had bombed. Not on the level of something like W101, but for the series it sold very well under expectations. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong I guess.

They wanted to do Star Fox at one point. That's not really something that seems like it'd be something Platinum would make, right?

I'd say they could more so than with Metroid.

But I've already said I don't really want them on Star Fox.

Why does it have to be Retro that does a new Metroid? They did plenty of Metroid games. Can't they work on something new for a change?

I want someone else, ANYONE, to do Metroid.

I want Retro to make a new First-Person Metroid, because they're a talented studio and I want an awesome new Metroid.

I also want to see a sidescrolling Metroid sequel to Fusion from NLG, since they are also talented and I would like to see what they would do with the series.

And what do you mean by "Something new for a change"? Their last original Metroid game was 8 years ago.

Although, to be fair, if they are doing Diddy Kong Racing its not the -only- game they are working on.

Where do you get that from?

Not that it matters. I think the possibility of Retro working on DKR2 is incredibly low.