Awoo.

Mega Man: The Legacy Collection - PS4, Xbox One, PC, 3DS

Wraith

They're selling this for $15 USD. Wii U virtual console Mega Man titles go for roughly $5 per game, which makes this a better deal. It also explains why it's not on Nintendo systems. 

They probably don't want to devalue the brand by selling the games cheaper than that. I'd love if more games were in the collection, but beggars can't be choosers, and really, all they're doing is putting the classic games on more platforms. 

It's on 3DS where the games are also purchasable per Virtual Console.

Although the NES Mega Man games are on the 3DS too so it doesn't make sense why the 3DS is getting it either

Also of all the things to get hung up on, I think the name is the most petty tbh

It's on 3DS where the games are also purchasable per Virtual Console.

Aaaand I am blind. My mistake there. 

@Ratcicle King I don't know these collections but they're probably like a trilogy or something like that (maybe a bit more) and had a higher price than Mega Man Legacy Collection. 

This Mega Man collection is just a download title for 15 bucks (nothing big of course) and this is a better deal than Virtual Console games because you would pay 30 for Mega Man I-VI on Wii U Virtual Console and 15 for the new collection + it contains challenge mode, leaderboards (with replays of the best players), better image quality and probably no slowdowns or sprite flickering because they don't use the original ROMs like they do with the VC versions and instead rebuild the game.

The VC has more variety in terms of Mega Man games yes, but if you look at the low effort they made to create these versions and the prices it's worse.

I hope this is only the beginning and we'll get more Mega Man re-releases (Mega Man 8 pls) and even new games in the future. After Capcom cancelled all Mega Man projects a few years ago he was "dead" but now they create this and a new TV series so it seems possible that he's back. :)

EDIT: And regarding older Mega Man collections: They probably costed more ergo they had to have more content. SEGA also released the Sonic Mega Collection and later on they started to sell classics as standalone titles again. Nobody complained about this stuff...

• Thumbs Up 1

They're selling this for $15 USD. Wii U virtual console Mega Man titles go for roughly $5 per game, which makes this a better deal. It also explains why it's not on Nintendo systems. 

They probably don't want to devalue the brand by selling the games cheaper than that. I'd love if more games were in the collection, but beggars can't be choosers, and really, all they're doing is putting the classic games on more platforms. 

I would understand that for Megaman 8, but 7 is not available for any of the consoles this will come out, I think 8 isn't either, I don't know how PSOne classics work for PS4.

The X series' first three games is only available on the Wii U, same for the Zero series and most of the other series, meaning they're not taking away the value, because they're not selling it on the consoles this is coming out. And if you mean people wouldn't buy the originals instead of this collection, the X Games are for SNES, Zero games are for gameboy with a collection on the DS, the Legends games are on PSOne and rare as fuck, and the ZX games are for DS, neither of these is being produced anymore, they wouldn't be losing money, they'd revive interest in long-gone franchises, which is what this should've been about.

wtf is up with the exclusion of 7 and 8....guess they aren't part of the Legacy...... 

wtf is up with the exclusion of 7 and 8....guess they aren't part of the Legacy...... 

or Mega Man 9, or Mega Man 10, or Mega Man & Bass, or Super Adventure Rockman, or Mega Man The Wily Wars, or Mega Man The Power Fighters (1 & 2), or Mega Man Battle & Chase, or even Mega Man Soccer.

And that's from the classic series alone.

The reason we're not getting 7, 8, 9, 10, & Bass, or any other Mega Man game that's not included besides Rock Board is because the entire intention of this is to make use of some kind of module technology thing that the company making this is doing. They have some kind of system that "sort of disassembles the originals and rebuilds them to a modern language" apparently. Not quite an emulator, not exactly a port. The work to get something working well with Mega Man 1 would apply to 2 through 6, then have to be done all over again for 7/& Bass, 8, and then 9 and 10 would outright be ports.

Meanwhile, they tried but had no luck on getting a hold of the unreleased(unfinished?) English version of Rock Board. That seems to cement the focus entirely on NES, rather than "retro/8-bit/the favorites" as it'd fall under content that'd work with their disassembling tech.

Head of Restoration Frank Cifaldi's Twitter has, among fending off hate and accepting compliments, some further comments that talk slightly on what they're doing. Interestingly there's an implication that there's at least something yet to be revealed that we might see at or after E3 that would please people looking for Complete Works content. Still, that could mean similar bonus gameplay features beyond the NES Remix style challenges, or it could just mean you can unlock the artwork from it, or that the enemy/boss database is inspired by it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I assumed somewhat that it might be like those Sonic Collections where while you play games, you unlock bonus mini-games.

The reason we're not getting 7, 8, 9, 10, & Bass, or any other Mega Man game that's not included besides Rock Board is because the entire intention of this is to make use of some kind of module technology thing that the company making this is doing. They have some kind of system that "sort of disassembles the originals and rebuilds them to a modern language" apparently. Not quite an emulator, not exactly a port. The work to get something working well with Mega Man 1 would apply to 2 through 6, then have to be done all over again for 7/& Bass, 8, and then 9 and 10 would outright be ports.

Meanwhile, they tried but had no luck on getting a hold of the unreleased(unfinished?) English version of Rock Board. That seems to cement the focus entirely on NES, rather than "retro/8-bit/the favorites" as it'd fall under content that'd work with their disassembling tech.

Head of Restoration Frank Cifaldi's Twitter has, among fending off hate and accepting compliments, some further comments that talk slightly on what they're doing. Interestingly there's an implication that there's at least something yet to be revealed that we might see at or after E3 that would please people looking for Complete Works content. Still, that could mean similar bonus gameplay features beyond the NES Remix style challenges, or it could just mean you can unlock the artwork from it, or that the enemy/boss database is inspired by it.

Oh Alright then. Checking his twitter right now, I admit I was a little bit heated up with this, the trailer didn't help, since it barely explained anything about it other than ''play 6 NES games and some extra art'', so if it's not a straight up port, I'll wait and see what it'll have before making up my opinion, I'm still not sold on this one, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, who knows, I might be surprised in the end.

Wow, no mention of the fact that this is being made by Backbone or now known as DigitalEclipse? Because yeah my wallet shut when I heard that, Backbone isn't going to burn me again.

Also this.

Wow, no mention of the fact that this is being made by Backbone or now known as DigitalEclipse? Because yeah my wallet shut when I heard that, Backbone isn't going to burn me again.

Also this.

Could you please explain why is Backbone developing this so bad?

Could you please explain why is Backbone developing this so bad?

Ever played the Sonic XBLA ports?

Yeah, thats pretty much the reason why. they were such horrid ports that they somehow fucked up the controls and physics and making Sonic 4 look like a masterpiece.

They made decent original games though like Rivals, but their porting is atrocious.

Huh. Backbone made Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I had fun with that one.

Of course, I thought Backbone and Digital Eclipse were separate entities?

or Mega Man 9, or Mega Man 10, or Mega Man & Bass, or Super Adventure Rockman, or Mega Man The Wily Wars, or Mega Man The Power Fighters (1 & 2), or Mega Man Battle & Chase, or even Mega Man Soccer.

And that's from the classic series alone.

These I agree with, 9 and 10 are....meeeeeeeeeeeh, to me at least. I'm just done with the rehashing of the 8 bit/NES games.

Also this.

I thought Backbone completely disappeared off the face of the earth. Really surprised its still around, though I'm not surprised its under a new name.

And if the ports of the XBLA/PSN Sonic games are of any indication of their quality, it would arguably be in best interest to approach with caution.

if you're going to hung up on the legacy name, then you're really only giving them reason. classic doesn't have much of a legacy post the NES. There were games, but they were overshadowed by X until 9 and 10, and you can't quite have it skip from 6 to 9.

This, again, if you really want to take the argument that it should represent a "legacy" because of its name. Mega Man Soccer is a legacy of nothing at all except the Sonic legacy of releasing unfinished games

Huh. Backbone made Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I had fun with that one.

Of course, I thought Backbone and Digital Eclipse were separate entities?

Nope just got bought out and switched names.

The UGC was just a collection of emulator+rom ports, kind of hard to screw that up. I'm pretty sure they will take the same route with this collection but I'm just gonna hold off until I hear good feedback.

Super Adventure Rockman and Wily Wars especially could have been a massive selling point for this collection, due to the fact Super Adventure Rockman never gotten a translation, so getting the actors from maybe Mega Man Powered Up to translate the game could have been a huge selling point to Classic Mega Man fans who wanted something new. Wily Wars on the other hand has never gotten a release in the US and hasn't had a re-release, so again, that could have been a massive selling point that's been lost.

if you're going to hung up on the legacy name, then you're really only giving them reason. classic doesn't have much of a legacy post the NES. There were games, but they were overshadowed by X until 9 and 10, and you can't quite have it skip from 6 to 9.

Yeah. Gonna disagree. The only NES games that get real praise is 2, 3 and maybe 4. Other than that, they really don't get very much praise. As for the other games. 

Mega Man 7's reception is around 7 or 8 out of 10.

Mega Man 8's reception is at lowest, a 6, and at highest an 8 out of 10.

Mega Man 9's reception is about 8.5 out of 10.

Mega Man 10's reception is about 8 out of 10.

As for the title, if they're going to name it the ''Legacy'' collection, then I'm damn well going to call them out for only including 6 NES games when the Classics' legacy has reached out to 20 years at this point. That's like making a Mario Legacy collection and only including Mario 1, 2, 3, and that's it. Legacy means the the entire history this series has had, and I'm pretty damn fucking sure that legacy extends far outside of 6 NES games, only 2 of which is only regarded as best of the best material, and another one sometimes being referred to as really good.

It's especially stupid when the fucking Anniversary collection included 10 whole games and a whole range of extras. Including the NES games, the SNES game, the PS1 game, and the two fucking arcade games, plus a G4 Origin episode, a whole ton of art, the pilot episode of the Ruby Spears cartoon and more. That's a fucking collection fit for any Mega Man fan of the series, not 6 NES games with some challenges. 

• Thumbs Up 4

But I agree with you- so long as you're literally going to claim that by legacy it needs to have the games that caused a legacy, it really should just be 2, 3, and 4. Certainly not most of the others you've mentioned.

Or we can accept it's just named like that because they're running out of names and the selection process has instead to do with the NES Mega Man in general being the most recognizable form of the Classic era.

Super Adventure Rockman and Wily Wars especially could have been a massive selling point for this collection, due to the fact Super Adventure Rockman never gotten a translation, so getting the actors from maybe Mega Man Powered Up to translate the game could have been a huge selling point to Classic Mega Man fans who wanted something new. Wily Wars on the other hand has never gotten a release in the US and hasn't had a re-release, so again, that could have been a massive selling point that's been lost.

Yeah. Gonna disagree. The only NES games that get real praise is 2, 3 and maybe 4. Other than that, they really don't get very much praise. As for the other games. 

Mega Man 7's reception is around 7 or 8 out of 10.

Mega Man 8's reception is at lowest, a 6, and at highest an 8 out of 10.

Mega Man 9's reception is about 8.5 out of 10.

Mega Man 10's reception is about 8 out of 10.

As for the title, if they're going to name it the ''Legacy'' collection, then I'm damn well going to call them out for only including 6 NES games when the Classics' legacy has reached out to 20 years at this point. That's like making a Mario Legacy collection and only including Mario 1, 2, 3, and that's it. Legacy means the the entire history this series has had, and I'm pretty damn fucking sure that legacy extends far outside of 6 NES games, only 2 of which is only regarded as best of the best material, and another one sometimes being referred to as really good.

It's especially stupid when the fucking Anniversary collection included 10 whole games and a whole range of extras. Including the NES games, the SNES game, the PS1 game, and the two fucking arcade games, plus a G4 Origin episode, a whole ton of art, the pilot episode of the Ruby Spears cartoon and more. That's a fucking collection fit for any Mega Man fan of the series, not 6 NES games with some challenges.

Did you read this post, Ryan?

I don't really care about the name. That's literally a nitpick. What else would they call it anyway? "Mega Man: The First Six Games Collection"?

Jesus Christ, no one would be complaining if they just ported each of the six games individually on the XBLA Arcade, would they?

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really care about the name. That's literally a nitpick. What else would they call it anyway? "Mega Man: The First Six Games Collection"?

Jesus Christ, no one would be complaining if they just ported each of the six games individually on the XBLA Arcade, would they?

-Mega Man: Retro Collection

-Mega Man: The NES Era

-Mega Man: The Classic Collection 

They could easily just separate out the NES and rest of the games.

And please tell me, what about 9 & 10? They're already on PS3 and XBLA. Couldn't they just as easily make them available on PS4 and Xbone?

You want to know something, I'm pretty damn sick of hearing everyone say that ''we're nitpicking a title''. That ''title'' implies that in Capcom's eyes, the Mega Man legacy is NES only, and every other game doesn't matter. Did you love Mega Man 8? Too bad, we're disowning it. The title Legacy says this is our character's history. This is what he's done since that first year. He's had a fucking massive series with plenty of spinoffs and trying to imply that only the NES games count as said Legacy is nothing but bullshit.

And if you want a fucking example of how you do a Legacy collection. Here you go.

Metal-Gear-Solid-The-Legacy-Collection.j

That is how you do a legacy collection. Every single game in the series, in one place, in one way or another, with extras, and the originals, to the modern games. Not just pretending the next 4 games in the series and the spinoffs don't exist.

Oh and I feel I should mention that the original 6 Mega Man games, plus Mega Man 8 are currently all on the PSN store in the USA as well.

-Mega Man: Retro Collection

-Mega Man: The NES Era

-Mega Man: The Classic Collection 

They could easily just separate out the NES and rest of the games.

And please tell me, what about 9 & 10? They're already on PS3 and XBLA. Couldn't they just as easily make them available on PS4 and Xbone?

You want to know something, I'm pretty damn sick of hearing everyone say that ''we're nitpicking a title''. That ''title'' implies that in Capcom's eyes, the Mega Man legacy is NES only, and every other game doesn't matter. Did you love Mega Man 8? Too bad, we're disowning it. The title Legacy says this is our character's history. This is what he's done since that first year. He's had a fucking massive series with plenty of spinoffs and trying to imply that only the NES games count as said Legacy is nothing but bullshit.

And if you want a fucking example of how you do a Legacy collection. Here you go.

Metal-Gear-Solid-The-Legacy-Collection.j

That is how you do a legacy collection. Every single game in the series, in one place, in one way or another, with extras, and the originals, to the modern games. Not just pretending the next 4 games in the series and the spinoffs don't exist.

Oh and I feel I should mention that the original 6 Mega Man games, plus Mega Man 8 are currently all on the PSN store in the USA as well.

Right, they'd definitely call a collection on the Xbox One and PS4 "The NES Collection". Classic and Retro would still cause problems for people since, you know, 7 and 8 are also retro.

What about 9 and 10? They're new games. I only mention the first six games being released individually on the One and PS4 since those are the ones in the collection.

Super Mario All-Stars only had the first 3 Mario games and Lost Levels IIRC. I don't think Nintendo was disowning every other Mario game in the series that wasn't in the All-Stars collection. Likewise I don't feel like Capcom is "disowning" spin-offs and main games after 6 just because of the name. I mean, it might be talking about how these six games started the legacy. I cannot understand why everyone's so hung up on this.

Yeah, Konami did really well with that collection, but expecting every other company to do the exact same thing is kind of ridiculous. Take into account the fact that Capcom apparently has little money at the moment. That alone could affect things greatly.

There's a big difference with the All-Stars Collection. That was a limited re-release of a SNES game that had all the games at the current time. 

As for Mega Man 9 & 10, what's your point? Those wouldn't require remaking as they don't have slowdown, or flickering or any of the issues the original 6 has. There's no reason they couldn't easily just port them to PS4 and Xbone. 

There's a big difference with the All-Stars Collection. That was a limited re-release of a SNES game that had all the games at the current time. 

As for Mega Man 9 & 10, what's your point? Those wouldn't require remaking as they don't have slowdown, or flickering or any of the issues the original 6 has. There's no reason they couldn't easily just port them to PS4 and Xbone.

Alright, but what about Kirby's Dream Collection, which also had 6 games, none of which were spin-offs? Did they disown Kirby's Dream Course, Block Ball, Tilt and Tumble, etc., just because they weren't in the collection?

I dunno, maybe 9 and 10 are too new? Generally collections of retro games stick to, y'know, retro games. They weren't on the NES or SNES originally. This is just an assumption of course.