Awoo.

Shin Megami Tensei (and related games) discussion.

Crystal Kingfisher

In this topic, you can discuss Persona 1-4 or any of the other games in the Shin Megami Tensei series.

I just recently got into the SMT/Persona series. I ordered Persona 4 (and Zone of the Enders) online because it was sold out at all of the stores near our house, and then I received it yesterday. I didn't have much time to play it, so right now I'm only 30 minutes into the game and right when it started getting interesting, my mom told me it was time to eat dinner so I had to save it and turn it off. *sigh* Today I'll make sure that I have lots of time to play it.

So far, the only SMT/Persona game I've played is Persona 4. Once I finish it, I'll get Persona 3 FES or SMT: Devil Summoner. And a side note, in case you're wondering what I named the character, I named him Stan Marsh. (I would have put in Kyle Broflovski instead but there wasn't enough room)

I've been looking for Persona 3: FES for ages... I almost instantly fell in love with P4 and I've never played an SMT game before that.

But since completing P4 it's become one of my favourite games of all time. Love it to bits and was totally stuck to it until I completed it... such a huge game.

I named the protagonist Souji Seta, as that's his name in the manga. I always try to give characters the most canon names possible (even to the extent of sometimes calling Dragon Quest protags "Hero")

Delicious games are delicious.

Still haven't finished Persona 4 though, meh. Haven't even touched The Answer because

MC is dead and there's no school life interactions, bawww

Incidentally, Persona 3 gets really hard around the middle of the game, but towards the end it really isn't as much...

Edited by Jake

Incidentally, Persona 3 gets really hard around the middle of the game, but towards the end it really isn't as much...
The only thing i found really hard were a couple bosses towards the end of the fourth block- but even then a bit of fusion shenanigans overcome that.

that's what I like about the Persona games, they're mostly challenging without being stupid, in terms of grinding and the like, unless of course you're fighting the optional bosses. :S

Especially if you compare them to other SMT games, like Nocturne, lol

For the record, Devil Summoner isn't a Persona game.

If this is the general SMT thread, I wanna recommend Nocturne. This whole game series got me back into JRPGs.

Like my friend who gave me the game said, "It's a demonic Pokemon". This game is so atmospheric and weird. Like Persona with less high school and more apocalypse. In fact I don't really know what Persona is about.

The story in Nocturne is deep. Multiple routes (Reasons) and story paths. I think this is a common theme in all Megaten games. You're basically living in a post-apocalypse limbo, where the world has been obliterated.

You eventually figure out whoever controls this world will choose how the new one will be born. Crazy.

I'm a fan of this series for life, pretty much. Nocturne was awesome. I'm picking up Persona 3 next time I see it.

Edited by Dabnikz

I got Persona 3 got rather unfair during the Full Moon bosses. If you saved on those days and you haven't fused any good Personas, well... good fucking luck.

After a while I only saved on the days before. I learned it the hard way. Up the ass.

Edited by Jake

Seriously? which one? :0

only one that was really a pain for me was when you fight the "last" one, and that just took forever to kill, not that it was particularly hard.

I guess I tend to grind a lot, though.

I... can't really remember off the top of my head.

...Oh! The shadow in the love hotel gave me a lot of trouble, actually. That was where I learned to not save the game on the same day as a full moon. Either that or the full moon boss after that...

Also, some of the Tartarus guardians gave me some trouble. Like the Hulk Hogan shadows and the tanks. Even my electric attacks hardly did much damage on them at the time.

With all the trouble I had during the middle of the main game, it's miraculous I beat the final boss in one try. Then again, I levelgrinded for that moment. Got my MC to level 80 or something.

Edited by Jake

Also, some of the Tartarus guardians gave me some trouble. Like the Hulk Hogan shadows and the tanks.
Urgh, those tanks used to one shot my MC all the time. :S It was like zap them, then all out attack and yet still they get up and kill me in two hits. :S Didn't have much trouble with the Hulksters though, until uh, the ones I'm fighting right now in the last block X_X

thinking harder on it, P3's difficulty curve is kind of wonky, goes from being stupid easy to stupid hard on the same dungeon floor, depending on which enemy you run into... still fun though.

and @ the saving thing- I gnereally keep multiple saves in RPGs, due to past bad experiences, so like I used to do a save at the start of every week, and then have another daily save, so I wouldn't have to back track.

The last Tartarus block is indeed a bitch, but once you get strong enough it's a great floor to levelgrind on.

One of these days I want to start the New Game+ in Persona 3, and hopefully max out all of my Social Links so I can unlock Orpheus Telos. I always liked Orpheus's character design, too bad it's so damned useless. Telos would be sweet to have.

Seriously, it's a robot with white hair and a harp.

Edited by Jake

Orpheus Telos. I always liked Orpheus's character design, too bad it's so damned useless. Telos would be sweet to have.
Orpheus is one of my favourite Persona designs in the game. :0

Is it even possible to max out all the S Links in one play through? I'm not even close...

You probably can't do it on your first playthrough, if you're new to the game. And you have to max them all out on a single playthrough because all of the Social Links reset when you start a New Game+. From what I've read, it's best to not focus so much on Social Links on your first playthrough. Focus on getting through Tartarus and having your Main Character strong enough to blaze through to the end, and on your second playthrough (during which you have a better understanding of how the yearly schedule works), you should be set to go. It's recommended that you still follow a guide, however, as there tends to be little room for error when getting perfect Social Links. That's what I'm going to do, follow a guide. Besides, on your second playthrough you should have all of your attributes maxed out (academics, charisma, etc.) which means you save a lot of time on subsequent playthroughs.

For the record, Devil Summoner isn't a Persona game.

I know, but I said this topic also applies to the other SMT games as well, so that's why I mentioned it.

I have Persona4 which I'm currently playing, but I've got a little bored of it atm cos not alots going on and it's annoying me. But I'll keep going with it when I get back from holiday. I do love it though. I want Persona3 as well cos my friend is always raving about it.

I think the problem with 4 is that it wasn’t paced as well as 3, there were too many long stretches of time where the characters had thought they had solved the murders and it kinda lost direction ‘til they realised they hadn’t again. Plus, I thought it was too easy, the last boss particularly. Well, at least it didn’t have a stupid attack like 3’s…

Anyway, has everyone heard about the new SMT game (probably) called Strange Journey and some interesting news about a possible announcement for Persona 5 on the PS3 soon?

SMT: Strange Journey

Persona 5 rumour

I never found Persona 4 too hard, but it was a solid challenge, a few of the last bosses I didn't lose against, but they had me at the end of my rope by the time I beat them.

Funny thing is, the hardest boss for me was the boss of the first dungeon! I lost against that a fair few times, as well as the 3rd dungeon's boss.

• 4 weeks later...

If it's anything as good as the last female lead in a Persona game it will KICK ASS.

one can only wonder how all the social links will go now you're a girl. Girl on girl action!? who knows!!

Female main character will have her own harem. ~O:

Maybe female MC will have her own social links, who knows.

Does this mean the guys from P3 that were just friends become romantic links? (ie. that sports dude, the fat kid, the creepy businessman, the dying fella) Will the romantic party social links be replaced with MALE ORIENTED ONES?

So many possibilities for virtual dating!

I kinda doubt it, unless they tweak their stories. Female character hooking up with creepy fat guy would be weird.

brb fantasizing about gender-bender P3 main character

Persona 3: PSP http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-P...ona-3-PSP-bound

Details so far- 4 difficulty levels, the game is tweaked to compensate the female lead, extra stuff added to the male part as well, and party members well be controllable like P4.

Do want.

Sounds cool, but when it comes out, should I get it on PSP, or should I get the FES version instead?