Awoo.

Shin Megami Tensei (and related games) discussion.

Crystal Kingfisher

Jesus Soul Hackers is coming out? I've been dying to give that game a whirl. And I still need to beat Innocent Sin too.

Pleasepleasepleaseplease let the game get localized this time. I've been dying to play Soul hackers for ages now, but the fan translation doesn't seem like it's close to being finished anytime soon.

Atlus will release this in the US, rest assured. Might take the usual ~6 months, though.

Now if you were in Europe that'd make things a bit more complicated, with Atlus not having an EU branch (ugh) and the 3DS being region locked. Ghostlight could pick it up I suppose.

I briefly mentioned this in a previous topic, and assumed there was already a topic for the game here. But after several failed attempts with the search engine, I'm no longer sure.

So you guys may or may not already know about this, but it doesn't hurt to mention it, I suppose. Although I own Disgaea 3 on PS Vita, that alone wasn't enough for me to buy an actual PS Vita system. I just borrow my brothers for now. So with that said...

Behold! The first (and currently, only) reason for me to buy a PS Vita!!

logo-001.jpg

I never really liked the whole depressing ending thing that SMT games tend to do, and having recently played Persona 3 FES for the first time, my view of that whole story has changed upside down and backwards. It pissed me off, basically. So seeing as how Persona 4 bucks that trend, it's only natural that I would be all buzzed to hear about anything P4 related. Yay, for P4!!

Granted, when I first heard about Disgaea 3 on PSV I thought "*Groan* ...another port..." And I though the same about P4G, briefly...

Then I saw screen shots and those stupid thoughts disappeared fast, dood.

ss001s.jpg

New anime scenes... *drool*

ss009.jpg

Orange and black? What kind of bizarre event would require such colours?

ss053.jpg

A new type of team attack?

ss050z.jpg

Appearance changing outfits return.

ss069.jpg

New rides. And are part of battle somehow. Aww, Naoto has a basket on the front, how cute. I mean...manly...

And...new character...?

art002.jpg

A couple more things I wanna share, but I'm not sure if they are what they look like, so this last bit will be in spoiler tags.

Based on these next screen shots, I'm guess a couple of other feature might be appearing in the game.

ss080.jpg

This looks like a sound test area, where you can listen to game music.

ss087.jpg

I'm guessing this is a movie viewer, where you can watch certain scenes whenever you want. Most likely just the animated ones.

ss089.jpg

This appears to be an art gallery. Actually, I'm 100% sure it is, as I also saw a screenshot that said in English next to this one, "Art Gallery." lol

Sorry for the heavy image load in this post, there was so much I wanted to say, and so much I wanted to share. Where you paying attention? Because now it's time for a pop quiz!

ss081.jpg

I had to re-size all the screen shots because some of them were quite large, so if you wanna see them at there original size, here is where I found them. http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/Persona_4_The_Golden/

Thinking about picking up Devil Survivor Overclocked tomorrow. Looks like a mix of Disgaea and Dragon Quest. Can't wait to pick it up!

Anyone pick up Devil Survivor 2 yet? I created the damn topic on this board like I was gonna buy it but it looks like I'm overdue for owning a PS3, so that's where my money is going. Saw it in the store some months back.

Some people probably don't understand why Dan posted this post above. So just to clarify:

PERSONA 4 THE GOLDEN IS GETTING US RELASE!

And since Vita doesn't have region lock people from EU CAN import it! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone pick up Devil Survivor 2 yet? I created the damn topic on this board like I was gonna buy it but it looks like I'm overdue for owning a PS3, so that's where my money is going. Saw it in the store some months back.

• 5 weeks later...

Trippy-as-hell Persona 4: The Golden Intro

New E3 trailer.

Dat freakin' song on the E3 trailer. LOVE IT.

Edited by Hiro Kageyama

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gaaa... I want a Vita to play Golden. I seriously want to check out the new Adachi social link.

Anyone want to guess what my favorite game in the series is? Yuppers! Devil Summoner! I'm a bit too obsessed with Victor, but I guess everyone has that one character they'd like to turn into a love slave, right? Erm...

What's funny is that Nocturne was my first SMT game and after that they all seemed really easy to me. Many rage quits were had thanks to mostly Amala and its lack of save points. Let's see... I think I convinced my mommy to let me get it when I was 15 so I've been a fan of these games for awhile and have played almost everyone one and own a good chunk of them too.

I'm anxiously awaiting Atlus USA to announce the US it getting Soul Hackers. I want to see what Victor and Mary are all about.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A new video of SMT4 thanks to Nintendo direct

Also a new crappy demon design:

The pagan spirit of bubblegum I'm guessing

SMT4.jpg

Edited by Balding Spider

Oh hey we have a SMT thread? Cool. Guess I'll talk about how motherfucking awesome Persona 3 FES is.

Couple weeks back I was like "Woah, Persona 4 Golden is the best JPRG ever" and it's still up there in my favorites, but I spent $10 on FES last month, and after 70 hours of The Journey and 25 Hours in The Answer (I'll talk about that later....) I gotta say this game has topped Persona 4 Golden as my favorite JRPG/RPG.

A few things I loved about P3 more were the story, music, characters, and social links.  Social Links for me were much more interesting in P3 then P4. And the music is so much better too. Personal preference yeah, but shit like Burn My Dread, Battle for Everyone's Souls, Memories of You, Master of Shadow, and a ton of other amazing songs just make me love this more.

The characters are great too. I really like how unlike P4 where everyone's like "Oh hey, you saved my life, let's be best friends now!" the team aren't friends because they want to, but more cause they have to. And throughout the game you can really feel the tension between everyone, like how Junpei gets jealous of MC's leadership, how Yukari and Mitsuru are really uncomfortable with each other, and especially Ken, Akihiko, and Shinjiro. Unlike Yu and his pals they really go through alot of shit in the game. I mean yeah Yu didn't exactly have it easy either, but man, they really go through alot of shit in the game. It's more realistic how they become best friends at the end because of everything that's happened, rather then just because. Also Junpei is a bro.

The story is truly one of the best ones I've seen in a video game. I will admit, it does get very slow at certain points in the game, but man that ending! I won't spoil anything, except saying that the entire climax during the game's last couple of months, is one of the best climaxes/endings I've ever played/seen in any form of media. The story turning point in December, the decision, the final battle, shit's amazing. Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8VzEFeILE.

I fucking loved The Journey.

And then there's The Answer.........................

*sigh*
I'm sorry but man, Atlus really fucked up with The Answer. I'll just list the main problems I got with this part of the game

*30 hour grindfest
*Took everything that made The Journey amazing, and tuned it down %50-%100
* Parts of the story
*The whole key battles
*The fucking bosses being able to dodge their weakness every fucking time you tried to exploit it. "Oh this boss is weak to _____? Well let me use- oh nope, it missed. Lemme try again- nope missed again. Let me try one more tim-nope."

The overall story was alright I guess. The only things that bothered me were Yukari and The battle for the keys.I really liked Yukari in The Journey, and she just turned into a complete utter bitch in The Answer. I understand it's because of the MC's death but seriously. I can't believe they made me love a character one second, and then hate her completely the next.

And what the hell is with the fight for the keys? Really? You're telling me they can stick together for almost 12 months, decide the fate of humanity and their lives, along with facing what is basically a god, yet they have to practically kill each other just to get some keys? I mean honestly, Why did Yukari and Mitsuru want to go back in the past? Yeah you get to see MC again, but he'll still DIE. And if you somehow stop him from fighting Nyx, everyone would DIE. I thought Mitsuru would've seen this very huge hole in their plan, but nope.

It's pretty laughable and unbelieveable that the only two making sense during that time were Junpei and Koromaru.  Yukari and Mitsuru were acting stupid, Akihiko and Ken were too. Fuuka just sat there not doing anything, and Aigis was just as confused as I was.

And Metis. I hate Metis. "SISTER! HELP ME! SISTER I WILL STAND BY YOU! I MUST PROTECT MY SISTER!" was very fucking annoying. You could replace all her lines with "Sister." and the story would practically be the same. If it wasn't for that fact that she was one of the best team members to bring into battle, I never would've used her.

I liked Tartarus because I could take breaks in between. I will admit, having only one dungeon did put me off at first, but I got used to it.
I hate the Abyss of Time because of how that's all I could do in The Answer. I couldn't take breaks with Social Links or go work on something else, because I was trapped in the Dorm.

Grinding for 5 hours just to reach the next 4 minute story scene was very aggravating. Yeah yeah yeah, I could've used Youtube, but my pride prevented me from cheating. I had to do it all to the very end.

Jesus man, I just....how can you make something so great like The Journey, and then make...this, and then actually sell them as the same game. Unbelievable.

That's all I can think of for now. If any other shit comes up then I'll just edit this post.

Oh but I did like Erebus. Cool boss, cool design, cool music.

Well there's that.

Oh, and I also got Persona 4 Arena 2 weeks ago. Story was fun and nice, and the game's good too.

P3 and P4 make me want to go back and play the Persona 2 duology ( I thought about playing Persona 1, but I've heard that it hasn't held up that well, so I'll probably watch an LP of that somewhere). And I'm also thinking of trying out the Shin Megami Tensei main series.

• Thumbs Up 1

The characters are great too. I really like how unlike P4 where everyone's like "Oh hey, you saved my life, let's be best friends now!" the team aren't friends because they want to, but more cause they have to. And throughout the game you can really feel the tension between everyone, like how Junpei gets jealous of MC's leadership, how Yukari and Mitsuru are really uncomfortable with each other, and especially Ken, Akihiko, and Shinjiro. Unlike Yu and his pals they really go through alot of shit in the game. I mean yeah Yu didn't exactly have it easy either, but man, they really go through alot of shit in the game. It's more realistic how they become best friends at the end because of everything that's happened, rather then just because. Also Junpei is a bro.

While I absolutely adore both games, I have to disagree here. I thought the cast of Persona 4 was much stronger because they felt like a group of best friends, as opposed to a bunch of friendly coworkers forced to work together. Different strokes, I suppose, but the bond of friendship the P4 characters had just felt a lot more genuine to me, making the cast that much more likable.

Add in the gameplay advancements, and P4G gets the edge over P3P/P3 FES easily, though I will concede that 3 definitely had the stronger plot. Hell, they're both some of my favorite games of all time (P4G gets the Number 1 spot), so seeing either of them get praised is always nice.

• 3 weeks later...

If you guys are interested, the Persona 3 Movie website just updated some hours ago with a (43 seconds) trailer: http://www.p3m.jp/

I dont speak moonrunes but Persona 3 the Movie #1: Spring of Birth is slated for release in Japanese theatres this Fall.

so hey this series is crossing over with Fire Emblem

Is it good enough to merit buying the cross over?  Because I really don't want to buy a game for HALF of the content.

so hey this series is crossing over with Fire Emblem

Is it good enough to merit buying the cross over?  Because I really don't want to buy a game for HALF of the content.

Personally I think it is. It's weird, creative, and it's nice that the player can influence the outcome of the game based on your actions. Though I'd advise keeping a close eye on the crossover, just because two game series are good doesn't always guarantee the end product will be too.

Edit: Though I should bring up it doesn't do anything revolutionary with it's combat mechanics. It's as old school RPG as you can get, currently they've switched back to FP for their combat.

Edited by Balding Spider