Awoo.

Transformers Devastation "Platinum Games... YOU GOT THE TOUCH!"

Badnik Mechanic

Forget Beast Wars, what about the IDW comics? I want some Windblade action, dammit.

An image of Grimlock just showed up

72a4ABE.jpg

This looks awesome, can't wait to play as this classic, wish the game had the original/post movie characters, would love to play as Ultra Magnus... and on my wii-u

Or Kup, or a triple changer like Springer(or Blitzwing), and where's Arcee

I'm asking on behalf of my sister, is there any confirmation of Perceptor being in this game?

I'm asking on behalf of my sister, is there any confirmation of Perceptor being in this game?

As far as we know, only 5 autobots are in the game, there may be more for the story, as NPCs, or as dlc. I believe the known is Optimus, Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Wheeljack and Grimlock as playable. We don't even know if Decepticons will be playable. The lack of Ultra Magnus disappoints me sadly 

The lack of Ultra Magnus disappoints me sadly

He can't deal with time travel now.

Edited by Failinhearts

As far as we know, only 5 autobots are in the game, there may be more for the story, as NPCs, or as dlc. I believe the known is Optimus, Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Wheeljack and Grimlock as playable. We don't even know if Decepticons will be playable. The lack of Ultra Magnus disappoints me sadly 

I think they said in the ign interview that no Decepticons will be playable, the game will be in the Autobots perspective. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bumpity BUMP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJJYMsgSsk

And some game time with IGN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwyVc_BrNk

Haven't been able to see it yet so I won't comment about it, tho I don't remember being that impressed with what they showed on E3 so here's hoping this one is better.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that I found out about this game like a week and a half ago makes me angry. The game looks really good, I just hope it won't be too short.

• 1 month later...

Playstation release video

and Blog post

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/08/26/new-transformers-devastation-trailer-showcases-combat-on-ps4-ps3/?emcid=social_20150826_51480046&adbid=636607301709795328&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

New Transformers: Devastation trailer showcases combat on PS4, PS3

Plus, check out the pre-order incentives for Platinum Games’ upcoming action tie-in

Long-time Transformers fans know that every single robot-in-disguise has a very specific personality. Grimlock, for instance, probably wouldn’t be described as “neighborly” and Sideswipe isn’t always interested in playing by the rules, but both have a fondness for combat. Optimus Prime, on the other hand, would always prefer a diplomatic solution.

Platinum Games, the developer behind Transformers: Devastation, spent a lot of time trying to match each character’s personality with a complementary fighting style. Bumblebee, for example, attacks faster than any other Autobot, but he sacrifices a fair amount of power. And Wheeljack’s mechanical ingenuity translates into an attack pattern that centers on ranged weapons.

Along with their individual sense of style and timing, every character also has his own set of unique moves and mechanics. So, just because you’ve mastered Optimus Prime’s combos doesn’t mean that Grimlock will be a cakewalk. We wanted to give gamers a peek into this unique combat system, so we’ve put together a handful of highlight reels for each character. Check it out above.

E3_2015_Mediakit_018

Activision has also unveiled the bonuses that super fans will receive when they pre-order a copy of the game. Players who purchase or reserve Transformers: Devastation before it crash-lands on 9th October will get a DLC bundle that includes six digital goodies.

So, what’s in the bundle? I’m glad you asked.

Aside from the five playable Autobots, anyone who pre-orders Transformers: Devastation will get a trio of specialized character skins. So, if names like Nemesis Prime, Red Alert, and Goldfire make you giggle like an excited little kid, you may want to spend a little time on the PlayStation Store.

15-196_TF-DEV_DLC_Retail_1024x1024_EN

Platinum Games is also including three unique pieces of equipment, which is kind of a big deal. Like the combat system, the developer put a lot of work into creating an extraordinary library of weapons, making sure every armament is one-of-a-kind and thoroughly balanced. So, the fact that Platinum crafted these three pieces of DLC specifically for pre-order customers should make you feel very special. Here’s what’s on the table:

• The Dark Star Saber is a fiercely intimidating blade that radiates waves of dark energy with every swing.
  • The Photon Disruptor is an incredibly powerful, shotgun-style weapon that has a short range but deals huge amounts of area damage.
  • The twin Golden Hunter is a pair of blaster pistols that causes enemies to drop credits when attacked.

Transformers: Devastation will hit the market on 9th October, but pre-orders are already available on the PlayStation Store. And don’t forget to follow the Transformers Game page on Facebook for concept art, screenshots, and video.

It looks awesome, though sadly the roster is small and influenced by current media(Bumblebee obviously due to the movies despite being a smaller player in the original series, despite Rachet being a better canidate, and Sideswipe instead of anyone else as he's in the current cartoon) Still bummed that Ultra Magnus isn't in, though it being Activision means we could get a say Transformers the movie DLC expansion(with Ultra Magnus, Rodimus, and playable decepticons)

Though it would be sweet if we could get a Beast Wars game from Platinum, it already got a fighting game in the past and really suits it

It comes out October 9th, though personally, I'm probably going to wait until next year, Platinum games drop in price quick, in case there's DLC, I want more info on the PS3 version(it's either that or PC, but I prefer console). That and most of my money will be going to Nintendo this holiday season since things will be tight(putting all money I can aside to help pay off college bills)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Some new info, along with a new vid with some gameplay snippets

Turns out there'll be a "Challenge mode", which will include 50 stand-alone missions from the main campaign mode. These missions will also be "Incredibly tough", apparently. The main campaign mode meanwhile will have five difficulty choices, "ranging from near-casual 'Scout' to insanely difficult 'Prime'."

This sounds like good news to me, as before the 150 weapons to choose from and their 1 to 99 ranking felt a little superficial with just a matter of choice in the game, for one story playthrough and one story playthrough only. Which, going by trophies, may just have 7 levels if every one ends with only a character boss.

Now, if there are 50, much harder set-difficulty missions to aspire towards beating, the level and weapon depth becomes a lot more essential for the player to explore and master.

Also, wondering if each mission will have their own story, as well. Sorta doubtful, but the concept art for the game did reveal a character that should be among the big-bads, possibly higher than Megatron, but wasn't seen in the boss trophies anywhere. Could mean something, but could be unused content, as well.

Either way, really excited for this game, and can't wait to see how it'll turn out!

Also Blitzwing is a boss in Transformers Devastation and looks siiiicccckkkk vid below or click here for link

Now if only Decepticons were playable... or maybe they will be DLC, every standard size boss 'Con seems to be configured in such a way they could be playable

The game looks awesome, but I'll have to wait for a few reasons: My 2 real options are PS3 or PC(sadly no Wii-u version despite Transformers having a solid sales rate on it in the past), so gotta wait for reviews on both in case the former is nerfed in gameplay and future dlc content(which tends to sadly happen as of late), and optimization of the latter(the reason I prefer getting it on a console is standardized optimization. other than that I'm fine with either now that I have the controller for my PC. I've also got to save, a little for it, and I'm both hopeful and waiting for announcement of a playable decepticons and perhaps more full autobots like Ultra Magnus as DLC(and I imagine the preorder unlockable outfits will be buyable later) Also waiting for more smash DLC characters to finally buy em

Well technically there is a Decepticon playable already; Nemesis Prime has a Decepticon logo on his person. It's probably not a Decepticon you or a lot of other Transformers fans really want out of it, but it's the only one that makes sense model-wise and story-wise, as he has a history of going against Megatron for his own gain. I wouldn't expect anyone else at all, tbh.

Well technically there is a Decepticon playable already; Nemesis Prime has a Decepticon logo on his person. It's probably not a Decepticon you or a lot of other Transformers fans really want out of it, but it's the only one that makes sense model-wise and story-wise, as he has a history of going against Megatron for his own gain. I wouldn't expect anyone else at all, tbh.

Nemesis prime is a preorder bonus alternate outfit(who I'm hoping is also available as dlc later, I'm not getting it on release) alongside Goldfire and Red Alert, none of which I suspect have any voice/story changes

Edited by Mando

I just pre-ordered the game for PS3. This would pretty much be the first Transformers game I ever owned.

This being Platinum is one of the few reasons I think this won't be nerfed on the last gen consoles

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's the entire first level for those who are curious about it. Luckily enough, it isn't anywhere near as short as the demos made it seem, and is a good hour long! And that's just the first level!

I've only seen snippets as I don't want to spoil myself on it entirely, but from what I have seen, the gameplay for the combat and the vehicle modes look really solid, and the level design seems to keep from being a stale "empty room, empty hallway, empty room with enemies, empty hallway, etc" kind of game. From what I've seen, at least.

Also DAT MUSIC

Edit: Well, I caved. : P Level design isn't as good as I thought it'd be throughout the whole level, but it's interesting to know that the maps won't be a linear path from A to B, and instead is sort of a "city map" layout. Not neccessarily open world, but lets you take different routes to different areas, and completely retrace your steps for collectables. Pretty interesting.

Also love how dense the boss lineup looks to be, with more than 7 bosses throughout the first level. Hope this means a lot more characters are getting in as bosses than just the ones seen in the trailers.

Also, noticed while he was on the store that there were purchasable moves, as well. Dunno if they'll be good enough to keep the gameplay fresh yet, but nice to know that they're there all the same.

On a side note, here's some slick 60 fps gameplay! Looks absolutely amazing

Vid also shows off the "open world" nature of the level, as several routes he takes are completely different from the ones shown in the other video.

(Edit 2: Oh... Was meaning to just edit my first post, not make a double post. Whoops.)

Edited by The Deleter

(Drooling) This game makes me moist.

No. Seriously, though. I was thrown back onto the nostalgia train upon finding out about this game. I loved the original Transformers show and movies. The art-style was amazing, and all the characters were memorable!

Upon seeing some gameplay for the first time, I knew I was in for a trip.

AUTOBOTS! ROLL OUT!

First review of the game is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WskrtbT6wow

Seems like a nice, non-biased review to take a look at. I agree with his verdict; dunno about him disliking the inclusion of platforming and hidden extras, though. Like Kid Icarus, I think they'll give a nice contrast to the flat and barren pathways that the levels would only be comprised of if they didn't exist.

Shame the game is MGR levels short, though. Wasn't expecting it to be much more than that, as this is just a licensed game and a Platinum game, but W101 spoiled me. :S

On another note, some of the soundtrack got uploaded already, and it is HYPE

(Warning: Second vid appears to be the final boss theme, so if you want to keep that part of the game spoiler-free, don't listen to it, no matter how loudly the siren wails :U)

Ah man I've been resisting the urge to watch any videos so I can play the game unspoiled. But apart of me is wanting to watch walkthroughs so badly when I saw somehow some people got the game before release date! Gah why can't the 6th come up already?!

Its not really that big of a deal if its as short as MGR since even with how short it was it had a pretty high replay value so if this game is anything like that i'm pretty sure i'll still be putting upwards to 40+ hours into it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, you're likely to play the campaign with all the characters, which is 5X the time in the base game, likely to be more with DLC characters(the Decepticons are just crying for it)

I gave in and preordered/paid off my copy of Transformers Devastation at gamestop. I really want those costumes and weapons, the game looks awesome, and PS3 version should be solid. If it's not I probably won't be able to open it until friday anyways and if it turns out the PS3 version has major bugs then I'll just return it, but I trust Platinum. Also playing as Nemesis prime and Goldfire in the campaign will be sweet! Hope there are more costumes available though in-game... and Decepticon DLC

I gave in and preordered/paid off my copy of Transformers Devastation at gamestop. I really want those costumes and weapons, the game looks awesome, and PS3 version should be solid. If it's not I probably won't be able to open it until friday anyways and if it turns out the PS3 version has major bugs then I'll just return it, but I trust Platinum. Also playing as Nemesis prime and Goldfire in the campaign will be sweet! Hope there are more costumes available though in-game... and Decepticon DLC

Huh. Looks like the preorder skins come with their own voice clips and vocal directions. That's a surprising amount of detail for simple skins that I didn't think would happen. Now I want to hear if Nemesis Prime says anything interesting, since he's fighting his own faction.

Also the detail these mere preorder skins got makes character DLC seem even more likely now

Its not really that big of a deal if its as short as MGR since even with how short it was it had a pretty high replay value so if this game is anything like that i'm pretty sure i'll still be putting upwards to 40+ hours into it.

I know, it's just that, like I said, Wonderful 101 spoiled me. Also imo, I would much rather spend $50 on a really solid, memorable, and immersive gaming experience that only lasts 5-6 hours than one that lasts 20-200 hours, but is ultimately dull and time-wasting-fodder through and through.

Edit: First review is up!

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/06/transformers-devastation-review-bayonetta-in-disguise-5423610/

If you give a game a good review and it’s revealed you’re a fan of that franchise, or anything else to do with it, then there’s always calls of bias from those that don’t want to accept your verdict. Equally, if you don’t end up liking a game then some will complain that the review should’ve been carried out by someone with an existing affinity for the concept. In short you can’t win. But as a Transformer fan who ranks Platinum Games as one of the best developers working today, it feels like the jackpot has already been won with this game.

Being a Transformer fan though you tend to end up disliking more about the franchise than you enjoy, since it’s split into a myriad different continuities – all with very different takes on the characters. Although hating the Michael Bay films, while loving the animated movie, is usually a unifying sentiment there’s little else fans ever agree on. As British fans we grew up loving the UK comics and toys and considered the cartoon, which was clearly aimed at a slightly younger audience, disappointingly childish.

Americans and Japanese though tend to consider the cartoon by far the most important aspect of the franchise, and its influence on Devastation will be obvious to all. But It’s impossible to be churlish about that fact, because this is one of the impressive attempts at replicating the look and feel of an animated show that we’ve ever seen. Despite what seems to be a modest budget Platinum has done amazing work with the character models in particular, such that every screenshot looks like an animation cel.

Although director Kenji Saito’s biggest project for Platinum was Metal Gear Rising he also worked as lead software engineer on Bayonetta, the developer’s most famous franchise. And it’s that game which has the most obvious influence on Devastation, with a similar melee combat system and disregard for the laws of physics. As such, you control one of five ground-based Autobots (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Wheeljack, and Grimlock) who are armed with an ever increasing array of melee and ranged weapons.

The combos are shared between each character, and much less numerous than Bayonetta, but each character has their own distinctive abilities. Bumblebee can slip under enemies and attack them from behind, Wheeljack has a shield, Optimus Prime can whack them with his truck trailer, Sideswipe has a teleport style dash move, and Grimlock controls more like a wrestler. They all have special moves that take a while to charge too, which include various missile strikes and other more powerful attacks.

And of course there’s the fact that you can transform, which in melee combat is used as a finishing move at the end of a combo – as you attack in a flurry of punches or sword attacks before transforming into a car and accelerating in mid-air to smack your enemy in the face with you fender.

There’s also an equivalent to Bayonetta’s slow motion Witch Time and a small number of extra moves that can be bought when back at home base, which tend to be more difficult to pull off and include things such as reversals and parries. But there’s no pretending that the melee combat is anywhere near as technical as Bayonetta or other similar games, and certainly on normal difficulty almost all battles can be beaten with the same small sequence of moves.

It never stops the game being any less fun though and the way the transformations allow you to simply disengage from a fight and start burning round the area looking for health power-ups, and taking pot shots with your ranged weapons, is great. The vehicle controls are excellent, even though each fight area is quite small, and the camera is one of the best we’ve ever seen. There’s no lock-on, or any need for it, and although you have to keep manual control it almost always seems to be pointing the right way if you let go, and even ensuring a suitably cinematic view of the action.

The boss battles are, as you’d expect from Platinum, excellent and importantly they go a long to making proper use of the Transformers concept. Regardless of being fans we’ve always maintained that characters that can instantly convert between humanoid and vehicle form are a perfect conceit for video games, but it’s been a technical challenge for previous consoles and even the otherwise good Fall Of Cybertron almost always presented enemies only in one form or the other.

In Devastation though even no-name cannon fodder will transform at will, using different tactics and abilities in each mode. And this continues into some of the more unique encounters too. A little over half the game is spent in what might generously be described as an open Earth world city. Don’t start thinking of GTA, as it’s more a sequence of small arenas linked by narrow streets, but if you’re not currently in a fight you can go wherever you want and there are a couple of great chase sequences.

One has you racing a ground-based Deception, where you desperately try to keep up and then launch yourself at him so he’ll transform and have a sword fight with you. Or there’s a great 2D chase on a bridge, with a transformer that turns into both a tank and jet fighter – which ends in what is one of the game’s best fights in a 3D arena on the other side.

The game’s only major weakness are the repetition of the moves in normal difficulty (you do have to be more inventive in hard mode, but it’s difficult enough that it’s not advisable to start there) and the weird upgrade system. Characters and weapons earn experience as you use them, but the benefit this brings is never very obvious. Defeating enemies or finding loot caches will shower you in extra weapons but these are mostly useless until you start synthesising them together to make stronger ones.

But this process is so time-consuming, and its effects so vague, that it becomes a real chore to sort through, especially as there quickly ends up being dozens upon dozens of near identical looking weapons. It also breaks down the distinction between characters and you start sharing most of the same weapons between them. A system of ability buffs is equally flawed in that to create them you have to play a mini-game to stop a cursor at the right time to make them more effective, which is also something we’d just rather not bother with.

When first previewing Devastation we described it as the dream Transformers game, but of course it’s not. The dream Transformers game would have a world map at least the size of GTA, the combat of both Gears Of War and Bayonetta, and a decent story with proper characterisation (Devastation is mostly cartoon-pandering fluff, although Bumblebee gets some funny lines and there’s a small attempt to create a moral quandary over the source of the game’s planet-destroying plot).

For budgetary reasons alone that’s probably never going to happen but the work Platinum has done here is hugely impressive given the limitations. And although they’re in well deserved trouble at the moment for Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5 we also congratulate Activision for actually supporting a mid-budget, medium-sized project like this – and even knocking £10 or so off the price as a result.

You don’t need to be a Transformers fan at all to appreciate Devastation. No matter what its origins this is a fantastic action adventure, with great combat and fun visuals. Bayonetta has clearly been an influence but that’s only one element in a game that transforms freely from melee fighter to racing game to platformer and back again. It is, in short, more than meets the eye.

8/10

Moar reviews

Gametrailers

7/10

Destructoid

Review: Transformers Devastation

I've been a fan of Transformers since I was old enough to understand what television was. The bright colors and toy lines drew me in, but I've been a fan ever since. It's not merely nostalgia that fuels that fire -- it's an entertaining series that knows just how to camp it up to a perfect degree (the sniveling Brutus-esque Starscream is a classic archetype at this point). So when a G1 Platinum game was announced, I was on board immediately.

I'm glad it managed to meet my expectations.

So let's get right into the thick of it -- the action. As you'd expect from Platinum Games, Devastation has a sound bedrock, with a combination of ranged and close-combat maneuvers. Basic abilities include trigger-based aiming, a combo system with light and heavy attacks, a super button, and of course, the power to transformer at will into various vehicles. Combos can even involve transformations on the fly (signified by a blue light with a short window), a slam move can be initiated by transforming mid-air, ranged attacks are capable of headshots, and attacking at top speed breaks enemy shields. As you can see, there's a lot of advanced mechanics at work here.

The most technical of all abilities includes the addition of Witch Time (frame-perfect dodging that slows time), a concept taken wholesale from Platinum's own Bayonetta, which I'm totally okay with. Everything feels incredibly smooth. The combos available are just enough to keep action veterans interested without overwhelming newer players. With three difficulty levels to choose from (appropriately balanced, mind -- with three at the start, and two more later), there's something for everyone. Other small touches like NPCs frequently fighting alongside of the player character, 2D sections, and vehicular-based chases or race segments help break up the combat a bit.

There's a light amount of exploration involved within Devastation's mission-based structure, similar to most of Platinum's previous work. It's mostly linear, but at various points spokes of that linear wheel will break off, allowing for some form of deviation. That includes conspicuous gates that lead to new chests, or short twitch-based puzzles that provide a reward at the end. I actually really dig this flow, as you can skip a lot of combat sequences if you wish -- just note that many zones will wall off areas until you defeat all the foes within, so you can't just rush through the whole game.

Much to my surprise, all of the playable characters have different styles. Grimlock is more of a grappler, Bumblebee is quicker and doesn't pack a punch, Sideswipe has access to a quicker dash, and so on. They're not wildly different to the point where you'll have to relearn every single facet of the game, but they're nuanced enough that there's actually a reason to pick different Autobots.

Devastation also sports an appropriate Saturday morning cartoon narrative that would fit nicely into an afternoon special block. The voices are either spot-on replications (including the campy Teletraan-1), or actual members of the original cast. The gist is that Megatron is yet again after another massive power source, and it's up to the Autobots to save the day -- so don't expect anything new here -- but again, the nonstop action helps propel players from start to finish.

There are a few shortcomings, though. For starters, the game is priced at $50, and feels somewhere in-between a full retail release and a downloadable game. There's a lot to sift through here, but I could have gone for more characters, secrets, and unlockable modes (a challenge mode is basically it). Additionally, the RPG systems in place feel like a half-measure, particularly the loot system. While the equippable upgrade chips are a nice touch (and are coupled with a fun little crafting mini-game), managing loot is a nightmare.

Throughout each mission, you'll likely acquire something in the neighborhood of 10 weapons, most of which are garbage or only marginally better than what you're using. To really take advantage of these duds, you'll have to synthesize them into better parts, but it's far too much of a chore to do that constantly when you can just forge ahead to more action. The loot system should have been scrapped entirely or pared down far more than its current incarnation. While not a deal-breaker, it could have been handled a lot better.

I'm not even sure if there are G1 fans out there anymore. It shouldn't be a deciding factor when picking up Transformers: Devastation though, as it's a great action romp by any right. Just be ready to deal with a few nitpicky issues.

8.5/10

Gamezone

Transformers: Devastation Review

Platinum Games are known for their prowess in creating satisfying action games. They've proved themselves, time and time again, with titles like the masterful Bayonetta 1 & 2, the action packed Vanquish, and the over-the-top Anarchy Reigns. Likewise, they even did a fantastic job taking over the reigns of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

However, Platinum was charged with making a licensed game based on The Legend of Korra, and the result was fairly mediocre. While the game wasn't bad by any means, the combat was nowhere near as satisfying as previous Platinum games. Needless to say, it made me wary when a Transformers game was announced by the same team.

Thankfully, Transformers: Devastation does a lot of things right. It's not perfect, and it probably won't be a substitute for action games like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising, but it's a competent action game that feels great to play.

So let's take a look at what's good, what should have been improved, and our final verdict.

The Positives

• Transformers games aren't really a rarity these days, and while we've gotten some great games from High Moon Studios, the following games based on the movies were absolutely horrific. It's smart that someone at Activision or Platinum decided to base the game on G1 Transformers, which are arguably the best iteration.

• The combat feels right. It's no secret that Platinum Games knows a thing or two about combat system in games, but it could have been tricky in a game that stars sentient cars that can transform. Ultimately though, Platinum nailed it with combos that have weight and fluidity.

• Platinum Games' signature Witch Time is back, albeit with a different name, and feels just as good as ever. Dodge an attack right as it's about to hit you, and you'll slow time around you, letting you get in a few extra hits.

• Combo finishers are satisfying, as they allow you to quickly transform and perform a finishing move in your vehicle or dinosaur mode (if you're Grimlock).

• Transforming back and forth is also done very eloquently. The dodge button also works as the transform button when held down for a longer time.

• There's a loot system! This was completely unexpected, but ultimately appreciated, as it adds some really good replayability to the game. Weapons feel different from one another. The hammers are slow but pack a mean punch, whereas twin swords are extremely fast but don't deal as much damage. There are also a variety of ranged weapons from missile launchers, to spread guns and grenade launchers. Each character can have up to four weapons equipped at a time, and can easily swap between one another with the push of the d-pad.

• The weapons themselves are sorted by rarity and can be synthesized together to strengthen them. If you have a favorite weapon, simply feed it other weapons you don't use to strengthen its stats. Higher grade weapons will be able to be strengthened much further.

• The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, and I'm very happy Platinum Games opted for a cel-shaded look, especially when so many games these days based on cartoons and anime tend to go with flat 3D textures. It certainly looks like a cartoon.

• The maps are somewhat explorable. After your initial tutorial, you'll get free reign to explore the city, as well as other locales, which house a lot of secret collectables and loot chests to collect, as well as secret missions. I wouldn't call it open-world, but there is definitely a degree of freedom here.

• If you're into Platinum Games' approach to scoring you on everything you do, you'll feel right at home here. Every mission in every chapter will score you based on various parameters, meaning those that want to chase after the perfect score, will find a lot of replayability here.

• The voice acting is top notch, with Peter Cullen returning as the iconic Optimus Prime, and Frank Welker as Megatron. It's great to also hear Soundwave sound like his G1 self, and to finally hear Bumblebee talking, after Michael Bay had the audacity to silence him for four films.

• Likewise, the music is composed of some amazing rock songs that complement the action-packed fight scenes, as well as some fittingly epic orchestral scores in a few sections. As far as sound design goes, Transformers: Devastation nails it on all counts.

The Negatives

• Before I got the chance to freely play as any of the Transformers and upgrade their weapons, each of them felt different. Bumblebee had nimble fist attacks, Sideswipe had two fast blades, and Optimus Prime had a balanced axe. They all felt different from one another. However, once you start equipping them with different weapons, they start to feel very similar. For instance, once I gave Optimus Prime a pair of Energy Blades, his moveset then switched to the same one that Sideswipe had.

• The game isn't all that long, and mileage may vary depending on how much of a completionist you are. You can play the entire game as any of the five Transformers (at least after the initial part of the game) as well as chase after a bunch of collectibles and random loot, but not everyone is going to want to do this.

• This isn't so much a negative toward the game, but those looking for technical combat found in games like Bayonetta, Vanquish or Metal Gear Rising will probably be disappointed by Devastation's slightly more casual friendly approach.

• The price tag of $49.99 might be somewhat steep for what's offered, but again, mileage will wary. If you're just thinking of picking this up to play the story, with no interest in replaying it as other characters, it might be worth it to wait for a bit of a price cut.

• Sadly, no co-op feature or mode included. I'm usually not one to complain about a lack of multiplayer, but I would have loved to bring along a friend and rough up some Decepticons.

The Verdict

This could have been a licensed disaster, but I believe the team may have learned from Korra's shortcomings. The storyline is cheesy 80's goodness, the voice acting is top notch, and the gameplay feels satisfying on nearly every level.

Somehow, Platinum Games was able to make a combat system for sentient cars that can transform at will, feel just right. That's saying something. 

The asking price might be a bit high for those that simply blast through the story, especially since the game lacks any sort of multiplayer or co-op component. But those that like to dive deep into their games, Devastation offers a bunch of collectables and challenge missions, to keep your playtime going.

Transformers: Devastation gets an Energon powered recommendation from us.

Recommended