Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

Sonic's going to beat Eggman anyway.

Oh sorry.

Spoiler Alert: Sonic's going to beat Eggman. A Sega Mandate demands it

Welcome to the Lilac Stadium.

...Its like you read my mind! everyone is playing freedom planet instead and is trying to ignore sonic...at least thats what everyone SHOULD be doing right! (in other words i would love to see that happen!!)

i think it looks cool! i like the music of the trailer .. i hope to hear of those in the same game :D

hey anyone noticed this already?

Sonic's pose

tumblr_npowb9ZcX61tl4sn1o1_540.jpg

tumblr_npowb9ZcX61tl4sn1o2_540.png

found on tumblr by Proboom

Edited by Drawloverlala
  • Thumbs Up 9

I may well be going a bit overboard here, but I don't understand what's happening to the Japanese gaming companies. It just boggles my mind. We have Konami abandoning a perfectly good ship and deciding to concentrate on smart phone apps. We have Capcom going all remaster crazy, and finally announcing a Megaman game after the fans have been on life support for years, only to reveal a tiny collection of the six NES originals rather than a full fledged collection. Nintendo currently while doing well seems intent on using underpowered old tech on their home consoles since Gamecube. Square are surviving off their titles developed overseas by competent studios like Tomb Raider etc instead of their own franchises which have gone down the crapper as well as wanting to join Konami as smart phone app creators over home console entertainment.

Now to put the icing on the cake Sega are releasing a sequel to a critically and commercially bombed and lambasted version of Sonic which no one wanted or asked for.....what has happened to the Japanese gaming giants of the past, where are all these terrible business decisions stemming from? ;_;

• Thumbs Up 5

It doesn't suprise me that people are bashing the game and all, im just wondering why people "expected" something better. I mean its clearly not supposed to be a normal sonic game, whats wrong with a metriodvania like game anyway?!

It doesn't suprise me that people are bashing the game and all, im just wondering why people "expected" something better. I mean its clearly not supposed to be a normal sonic game, whats wrong with a metriodvania like game anyway?!

I played the demo of Shattered Crystal and absoutely hated it. Sonic was slow as dirt and controlled like shit.

I didn't like Shattered Crystal's gameplay all that much because it's platforming was the blandest stuff ever, (that and it totally was not a Metroidvania) but going by that trailer... the fire/ice gimmick might mix it up enough to make it fun? It looks like the Cube wisp done right, and it definitely makes the gameplay seem a lot smoother than before. I don't know, it's not completely out of mediocrity yet, but... at least the gameplay looks like it could be up there with Mighty Switch Force for bland platforming yet neat gimmick?

Every problem people have had with Sonic games for years have stemmed from nonsensical design decisions and bad programming, not simply change. We don't have a problem with a Metroidvania game; we have a problem with a Metroidvania game that's mediocre/bad.

• Thumbs Up 8

I know the 3DS sells better than the Wii U, but thinking on it...

It seems odd to release another Nintendo exclusive so soon after the deal and its terrible performance.

I'm guessing we need to wait until next year to get a multiplatform title.

I didn't expect something better.  I was just expecting (and hoping) for something different.  Since, you know, there's absolutely no perspective that indicates this is a good decision.  It would be one thing if this was a game that was bad but sold like hotcakes.  But this is a game that is bad and hardly sells at all.  And also, with Sega's constant gameplay roulette and noted stylistic inconsistency over the past ten or so years, why are they suddenly now so adamant about consistency in gameplay?  It's mind-boggling.

Sanzaru deserve better.

Did Sly 4 bombed so bad that they've been reduced to handheld development?

• Thumbs Up 1

... ...

... ... ...

Nope. Sorry. Not falling for it. I held high hope for the first two games. Bought them, played them, never touched again. And I remember playing the demo for Shattered Crystal to death.... maybe. I spent quite a bit on it, anyway.

Fact of the matter is, I was sucked into the games before, and found them not worth my time. Now another game is here, and seriously. I am not going to fall for it. I will follow with a tiny bit of interest to see whether it lives up to the claim of being better, but other than that - no. I'm just glad the world of Star Wars console gaming is starting to perk up again. It gives me something not Pokemon related to play. I've still got Adventure and Generations, I suppose.

And at least we know of one game that will probably be at Nintendo's E3 this year.

Wow, I didn't even notice that comparison DLL! The more, you know huh.....

Oh yeah, the Fire & Ice thing...

Since it's going to be a faster version of Shattered Crystal, I'm ok with it really. I played through Shattered Crystal and thought it was ok but it got pretty tedious with the medal collecting. I'm actually going to support its story by saying it's actually not that bad as people are making it out to be. The jokes are not as forced as it in Pontaff's debut in Colors so it feels a lot more natural though it has its stinkers like the "piece of meat" joke but it has it funny ones so not terrible but still not very impressive either.

The visuals look a lot more detailed but looks kind of worse but considering it's probably just shovelware, I'm not surprised. Gens 3DS was the definition of shovelware and it was pretty alright for what it is so I won't be too mad because of it.

Seeing Amy being playable is pretty great though and it sucks she wasn't playable in SC but eh, whatcha gonna do, I guess. Also seeing regular Sonic springs instead of the generic-looking bounce pads is a nice fix.

A hovercraft special stage reminds me of the Hovercraft from Rush Adventure but I doubt it'll be as fast-paced as that one but hey, I liked Rush Adventure. More half-pipe stages or along the line of the Worm Tunnels stages, either way is pretty ok as well.

Another problem I had with SC is the fact, the was only one boss and it was pretty meh. So hearing atleast 4 bosses in this one is an improvement in of itself.

The fire and ice gimmick looks pretty simple enough. Use fire to melt ice blocks and use ice to turn water into ice platforms, nothing much to it really. 

Overall, this game might be good in terms of shovelware but yeah, this year is pretty underwhelming for Sonic. Here's hoping the 25th Anniversary is going to kickass!

Because me not seeing anything wrong with "expecting something better"--really, who'd want a game that's not fun to them?--I don't think there's anything wrong with having a Metroidvania-type Sonic game. My problem is that the way that Shattered Crystal handled it made a pain to play. It was slow for little reason, too focused on the explorative aspects to the expense of speed and overall flow, and the areas were just too big for how slow you were able to travel without the aid of boost pads. From what I've seen of this game so far, that specific complaint hasn't been addressed and remedied.

That's it, really. We don't hate Metroidvanias--we're just not too fond of mediocre ones, is all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's going to beat Eggman anyway.

Oh sorry.

Spoiler Alert: Sonic's going to beat Eggman. A Sega Mandate demands it

More like basic storytelling?

I played the demo of Shattered Crystal and absoutely hated it. Sonic was slow as dirt and controlled like shit.

I've only heard a small handfull of people complain about the controls, so im assuming that you mean the way the game plays and character ablities doesn't mesh well with the level design. 

We don't have a problem with a Metroidvania game; we have a problem with a Metroidvania game that's mediocre/bad.

In all honesty I haven't played the game...yet, I just find it hard to belive that the game is that bad, the only legit complaints I heard are backtracking and controls (and sticks), also level design but thats very subjective so ill have to see on that one.

I didn't expect something better.  I was just expecting (and hoping) for something different.  Since, you know, there's absolutely no perspective that indicates this is a good decision.  It would be one thing if this was a game that was bad but sold like hotcakes.  But this is a game that is bad and hardly sells at all.  And also, with Sega's constant gameplay roulette and noted stylistic inconsistency over the past ten or so years, why are they suddenly now so adamant about consistency in gameplay?  It's mind-boggling.

yeah im confused too, im sure we will get something different tho soon. tho I will argue that the boost gameplay would have gotten stale if they kept it going.

More like basic storytelling?

It was a joke based around the fact that Archie Sonic has a mandate that Sonic can't even lose. 

When the bad guy wins, he tends to murder the hero.

When the good guy wins, he tends to gloat and let the bad guy go. "I beat you every time," etc.

It makes perfect sense to have the hero always win unless you plan on killing a franchise.

Once again. It was a joke based on the fact Sega has given Archie Sonic a mandate that Eggman can't have a victory over Sonic.

And no, it doesn't have to lead to the hero being killed. You could just as easily have Eggman beat Sonic, capture him, and have his friends save him. I'm honestly surprised they let up on the mandate so Sonic can be robotized in the Worlds Unite storyline.

When the good guy wins, he tends to gloat and let the bad guy go. "I beat you every time," etc.

It makes perfect sense to have the hero always win unless you plan on killing a franchise.

To be fair, it's not like this is something new concerning Sonic.

sonic-dies-o.gif

4d0minE.png

Not every loss has to be absolutely catastrophic.  There needs to be some kind of tension or feeling of loss to drive the momentum forward.  So giving Eggman a couple of victories doesn't necessitate that Sonic has to be killed or that it would end the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's kinda sad really because I think the whole fire and ice mechanic could be pretty interesting for a Sonic game - after all, he's one cool dude that runs at blazing speeds! 

Buuuuuuuut the way it's being used in Fire & Ice looks underwhelming beyond belief. From the trailer it looks like the fire power simply equates to "burn some ice blocks" and the ice power is just "run across small bits of the level you otherwise wouldn't be able to".

I hope there's a lot more to it because there's a lot of potential, I just really don't see it being fully utilised. 'Tis a shame.

On a related note - how do we reckon Sonic and the gang will gain access to these fire and ice powers anyway? Contrived plot conveniences ahoy!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is my most popular thread on this site.

How should I feel about that.

So uh, the Sea Fox is back? That thing sucked, ech. Everything else seems fine to me though.