Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

How was the Tornado a plot thread? It was damaged, Tails fixed it, that was that. What else were they supposed to do with it?

Because, the plane is effectively a Chekhov's Gun.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekhovsGun

Why put all this effort in animation, voice acting, scripting, and editing this scene if it's not going to be important? Why was it so important to show the plane getting fixed if it's not going to be used? It makes the whole thing a waste of time, and when you have only 45 minutes worth of cutscenes, you have very little time to waste. And Lost World has no shortage of cutscenes that are basically that, a waste of time.

The plane isn't the point. Tails being a genius mechanic is the point. The plane was the means to demonstrate it.

The plane isn't the point. Tails being a genius mechanic is the point. The plane was the means to demonstrate it.

Okay, and how does that not make it a complete waste of time then? We don't need the writers banging on about how amazing Tails is with machines. It been 21 years at that point since his inception. We know.

In addition, I don't care if that's the point. It's sloppy. That whole scene leads absolutely nowhere, and that's my point. "The writers had to show us how amazing Tails is" is not a good argument. Like, at all.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, is there any new information on this game, gameplay footage and the like? Part of me wants to believe that they'll improve things from Shattered Crystal, but so far, it seems to be more of the same minus the Enerbeam thing.

Speaking of getting back to the point, I don't see why we're arguing about Lost World in the Boom thread. There's other threads for that discussion to happen.

The Lost World discussion was prompted because I mentioned that Pontac and Graff's work was more coherent than Rise of Lyric's completely random events.  However, I agree that the discussion has gone on long enough, so we should be returning to Fire & Ice now.

Speaking of getting back to the point, I don't see why we're arguing about Lost World in the Boom thread. There's other threads for that discussion to happen.

*shrug* Fair enough.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, is there any new information on this game, gameplay footage and the like? Part of me wants to believe that they'll improve things from Shattered Crystal, but so far, it seems to be more of the same minus the Enerbeam thing.

Last I heard of anything was the gameplay showcased at Joyopolis. It looked decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7EoFRNH_8

I hope there will be another demo available like Shattered Crystal. Then we can really see just how much it has improved. =]

I wouldn't put it past them to apply all the improvements to the demo level(s) and then have the rest be the same Shattered Crystal nonsense as before. XD

So what, they'd ADD the token collecting back into later levels? How is it more work not to include something?

As for seriousness, however, one thing I'm seeing is that the air dash is a fuckload less stiff. You can actually use it to gain momentum and transition right into running. We haven't had it work like that since, what, Colors DS? Sonic 4? Everything else since 06 has it cancel momentum completely and force us into a spindash, which we can't do in midair, so I'm liking the leniency there.

Pontaff's Pon has now stated he refuses to discuss Sonic any longer. 

11058205_748317171943636_325519210166689

A while back, it was revealed he had known nought concerning Sonic. A lot of people harassed him for lack of knowing, as M. Westgarth once covered. I think Pontac decided to cease talking about Sonic after his harassment and becoming a pariah in the Sonic fanbase.

Thoughts?

What's there to say? Dude doesn't want to be bugged by a bunch of fanboys.

Christ, people are unbelievable. I think their writing is truly abysmal, but going out of their way to harass them is absolutely contemptible.

Pontaff's Pon has now stated he refuses to discuss Sonic any longer. 

11058205_748317171943636_325519210166689

A while back, it was revealed he had known nought concerning Sonic. A lot of people harassed him for lack of knowing, as M. Westgarth once covered. I think Pontac decided to cease talking about Sonic after his harassment and becoming a pariah in the Sonic fanbase.

Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 3

So let me get this straight. We've had rabid fans annoy the hell out of Steve Lycett, Mike Pollock, Ian Flynn and now Ken Pontac? Yeesh, I really hate the fact that these people are making the stereotype true.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Pontac and Graff's work, I can safely say that effectively giving them nothing but pure shit on a personal level is not only inconstructive but incredibly juvenile. I have seen people in the fanbase outright treat them as if they are terrible people, when they are not. I don't personally believe that their writing style works for the Sonic series, however I don't direct personal attacks at them and I know that most of the fanbase don't either despite whatever views they may have on their work.

I cannot blame Pontac for shutting off to it, because honestly, the sheer amount of vitriol directed towards these two people over a fucking blue hedgehog and the continuity of that fucking blue hedgehog is absolutely ludicrous. This isn't Ken Penders -who is almost unamimously despised due to being a shitty person in general- we are talking about. As far as I know, Pontac and Graff and nice enough guys. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being indifferent to their work, but aiming personal hatred at them due to their work (considering what their work is) is simply going too far. They are not harming humanity by being, in my opinion, average writers; therefore they should not be treated as though they are.

• Thumbs Up 5

Has it ever been this bad before? It feels like more and more fanboys have been bothering the people who work on Sonic games lately.

• Thumbs Up 1

Has it ever been this bad before? It feels like more and more fanboys have been bothering the people who work on Sonic games lately.

I don't think so. And I think the reason why, is everyone is nervous. Nobody knows where this series is going, and SEGA's not giving us a clear indication, so people are trying to find a direction.

To be fair I didn't help the matter by reporting on it.

Not anymore though. I don't feel comfortable with doing so. I feel like I'm invading people's privacy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes it has been. It was around this time last year that Stephen Frost stopped coming to forums because of how passive aggressive everybody was about Sonic Boom.

Well yeah, I remember that happening but that was just one person attached to Sega. This year they seem to be bothering almost everyone, even Takashi Iizuka himself! It's getting a bit out of hand...

Jason and Roger got death threats upon being hired. No one should be surprised at the depths of this fandom.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hogfather hit on an important element of the trend, though: Social media.  It has never been so easy to access creators in their daily lives, and the result is absolutely toxic.