Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

I don't pay attention to most of this stuff, but even I can see this fanbase, at least the more vocal negative of them, seem to think they can do whatever they want to whoever and not get away with it, just because of the supposed anonymity of the internet. Can't remember when I did join that Sonic Adventure 3 Facebook page, but I only did so because one of the admins was sane enough to try and calm everyone. Eventually he was ousted and made his own page, but even that gets out of hand sometimes. I don't post, but I do read. Out of the three major fanbases I'm a part of, this one does seem the most toxic, and I'm not even going to try and sugarcoat with it with reasons why.

In terms of Boom, and Pontac and Graff, I wouldn't go out of my way to constantly get my point across and repeat myself over and over again in their faces. That's not good protocol, and doesn't reflect well.

Jason and Roger got death threats upon being hired. No one should be surprised at the depths of this fandom.

Another example was with the sonic comics. During 2011-2012 a bunch of SatAM fans were pestering Ian Flynn DA because of what he was doing to the SatAM characters. Hell they even formed a group dedicated to bashing everything he's worked on since he joined Archie. This fan base is crazy

So let me get this straight. We've had rabid fans annoy the hell out of Steve Lycett, Mike Pollock, Ian Flynn and now Ken Pontac? Yeesh, I really hate the fact that these people are making the stereotype true.

What is this Iaan Flynn thing?

Oh for Fuck sakes that group is still alive? Seriously if they want to have their points come across why call the name "anti-archie sonic" that just screams elitism 

What is this Iaan Flynn thing?

In addition to what I said above how about when the Pender's lawsuit was really effecting the comics and the forced reboot. People were really pestering him about the characters and unanswered story lines 

Wow.. seeing these fact... I realize that Sonic fanbase is worst than any other fanbase.

Currently, no solution to solve this problem isn't it ?

@ontopic. If this game flops. How many people think "Sonic is Dead"?...

I think far too many people have given up on this sub-franchise to be disappointed if Fire and Ice bombs, so no, I don't think people will pronounce Sonic dead if they haven't already.

@ontopic. If this game flops. How many people think "Sonic is Dead"?...

The same amount as before. Whether it flops or not, there's not going to be anyone that thinks that this is the game that killed Sonic. They'll just go back to talking about 06 or Rise of Lyric like every other person on the entire planet.

Also, I know exactly what your place is, but I'm not sure if "on topic" describes it.

I wouldn't imagine that it is there. It wasn't at E3, so I think SEGA just don't want to give it coverage (and can you blame them?). Granted, if they really don't have faith in this, they should just scrap it and save themselves the poor reception.

Wow guys, this is my most popular thread on a forum ever!

;-;

Oh BTW... Is the dialogue being translated from Japanese or is it the other way around? I figured that Pontac and Graff were mostly just translating the script from Japanese, and then adding some jokes that'd be easier for the Western audience to understand. That's usually how it is with anime, but is it different with Sonic?

EDIT: And I mean the main games, not Boom (since that's Western based).

The English-language version written by Pontac and Graff is the original, though Sonic Team determines the plot elements to some degree.  So the Japanese is presumably translated from their script (pretty loosely, I imagine).

I think Ken said in his interview with Roger that he and Warren put words to the outline SEGA gave them for Colours and Generations, but wrote the plot from scratch for Lost World.

I assume they had free reign with SC and Fire and Ice too, save the inclusion of Lyric, Shadow and Metal Sonic (you can tell they threw the latter in just because).

• Thumbs Up 2

But here's the thing, Pontaff weren't the only people who wrote Shattered Crystal's story. There's a Tin Guerrero as well, not sure what he added to SC's story since I didn't find much about so if someone else did, please do post it could help.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this Sonic Boom game will be much better than the last 3DS game because they are actually listening to complaints and fixing the game by making it have more focus on speed than exploration. Plus the new multiplayer mode looks like a hell of a time.Sonic-Boom-Fire-Ice-screenshot_-12.jpg

Honestly, I would be perfectly ok with this if it were actually created by Sonic Team and not another dev team. :mellow:

Again, I think the game would be much better received across the board without the Boom branding. I think it should have been a SegaSonic game, like Rush or whatever, or they should have waited to do this further down the line after the shitstorm of bad (also negative) publicity Rise of Lyric got died down a bit. So, the plus side is we're getting a better game than the mediocre Shattered Crystal, which wasn't fundamentally broken, but regardless it's going to be hit hard sales-wise because it has "Boom" in it's title.

To what extent? Literally, their marketing for this game hinges on that you can USE FIRE AT FIRE THING and ICE AT ICE THING and LOOK YOU CAN PLAY AS AMY NOW! Hell, I think the fact that it's got Boom branding gave it far more attention than if it didn't, because otherwise it'd be a boring, generic platformer that was trying to sell itself on a really dull gimmick. Hell, the marketing is so bad, that it reminds me of the marketing that's used in mobile freemium games.

By that logic, any SegaSonic game is "generic" and "boring". The Boom brand does nothing to the quality of a game's gameplay mechanics and controls. But if you take away the Boom brand, it's a new 2D SegaSonic game made exclusively for 3DS where you can finally play as other characters again, without any of that "Boom nonsense" as standard consumers would view it. Is that not what people want? Just slap "Sonic Rush: Fire and Ice" on as the title, replace Sticks with Blaze, and you have a new title with far less stupid complaints. Shattered Crystal, at it's core control aspect, was basically just a slower Rush with some special abilities thrown in. And this looks to be even closer, having more streamlined level design (I know they say linear, but I think they mean streamlined, in that there aren't less alternate paths, just less necessary ones) and no medal collection crap.

So why has this new game been soo quiet? there hasn't been new gameplay or screenshots for about 2 months now and if there has no body is reporting on it.

I guess they're trying to keep it under the rader because of the series' reputation. Which I guess it's working bcause I keep forgetting that this game exist. 

This is the same company that released Tembo the badass elephant and nobody knew about it because they only showed one trailer before it was released. 

I guess they're trying to keep it under the rader because of the series' reputation. Which I guess it's working bcause I keep forgetting that this game exist. 

Kinda makes you wonder why they made the game in the first place

This is the same company that released Tembo the badass elephant and nobody knew about it because they only showed one trailer before it was released. 

Kinda makes you wonder why they made the game in the first place

Because Sega desperately needs to release a Sonic game every year, and this cheapquel was all they could put out without any real effort.

Yeah that was back from June, and even then that was an event most of the fanbase doesn't even know about. if you expell that when was the real last time we heard about this game?