Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

Ive said this before but it makes me wonder why this game is being made since they've been quiet about it since it's announcement. 

Well Sanzaru were already making it shortly after both Boom games were out and SEGA themselves said they were impressed by the gameplay of SC or atleast Iizuka wasn't freaking out by it and F&I probably didn't take much money to make anyway. Then again, there wasn't much advertising for Boom in general in last year either.

Well Sanzaru were already making it shortly after both Boom games were out and SEGA themselves said they were impressed by the gameplay of SC or atleast Iizuka wasn't freaking out by it and F&I probably didn't take much money to make anyway. Then again, there wasn't much advertising for Boom in general in last year either.

I guess it just comes off as a poor business move since the last game didn't sell that well and wasn't that well received(yes it was the better received of the two but that's not saying much) but thats just me. Then again that didn't stop SEGA from making more sonic games after 06's reception

I guess it just comes off as a poor business move since the last game didn't sell that well and wasn't that well received(yes it was the better received of the two but that's not saying much) but thats just me. Then again that didn't stop SEGA from making more sonic games after 06's reception

I guess as long as the show continues its success (which it will AND a second season will be made) there will be more Boom games, might as well pretend to enjoy the ride. 

Um...  doesn't improve upon the core gameplay? Have you even seen actual gameplay, or even hear about the gameplay aspects? (if that's even the right term, correct me if not)

Unlike Shattered Crystal, this game- like all classic Sonic games- have a linear path with basically takes you from point A to point B. This was said during some interviews and articles. The extra stuff- such as the hidden collectibles- are no longer necessary to progress from one level to another.

But that's just the gameplay, though. Everything else is a WHOLE another story. 

And yet the core gameplay engine still remains virtually unchanged (from what we can visually perceive) minus the inclusion of Amy and the fire/ice mechanics, the latter of which is assumedly an add-on, not a correction.

Yes, I've seen the gameplay footage.  I've heard of the changes.  They sound like they're in the right direction, but a mediocre engine is still a mediocre engine.  The collectibles and Metroidvania elements were a problem added on top of that, not the root of the problem.

I don't really understand why the Sea Fox sections were included in the first place. Same goes for Sticks' boomerang sections.

I mean, you're tasked with developing a game for the Sonic franchise, a series widely known for its sense of speed and fluidity, and you decide that including multiple sections within a level that require the player to stop for several seconds and complete some arbitrary task before being able to progress is a good idea? I understand that not all of these sections are expected to completed in order to reach the end of a level, but you're still expected to endure a good portion of them if you want to finish the game at a reasonable pace. It really just baffles me that someone thought their inclusion would be a good idea. A fun idea.

On a similar note, why can't characters jump through enemies? If everyone can somehow perform a homing attack, why remove one of the franchise's signature forms of offense? What exactly was the gain here?

The only new feature introduced in Shattered Crystal that I kinda liked was the fact that falling in water or a pit didn't kill you instantly, but knocked you back a few feet and took some of your rings. I do think a few alterations to this concept should be made to induce a greater sense of punishment, though.

I thought Shattered Crystal was incredibly bland and forgettable, and from what little I've seen of Fire and Ice it doesn't seem like it's going to be much of an improvement. It's no wonder people are surprised when they remember this game still exists.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm definitely not convinced this is going to improve much of Shattered Crystal's REAL problems because from what little I've seen of the gameplay looks just as boring and repetitive as the first. If a demo is released like last time and I'm not interested, I'll skip it again.

and pretty obvious SEGA has no faith in Fire & Ice either because there is no advertising or ANYTHING for this and it's coming out in less than two months!

I guess as long as the show continues its success (which it will AND a second season will be made) there will be more Boom games, might as well pretend to enjoy the ride. 

I'm probably beating a dead horse, but I don't think new Boom games will be made on account of the show alone. Like Gabz said, the extremely minimal advertising and news so far for F&I seems to indicate that Sega has no confidence in it either. And regardless of the show's reputation, the games' reputation is really, really bad and sales weren't great from what I've heard.

It would be really interesting is F&I actually turned out to be good. Not too likely, but it would certainly be interesting :P

Eh, I'd counter that by saying Fire and Ice more than likely had exceedingly minimal input from a budgeting standpoint. Its clearly running the same tech as the first so its not like they are getting paid to re-invent the wheel.

Unlike Rise of Lyric, which has nothing to build off of due to everything being broken, Shattered Crystal for better or worse is entirely functional, which means Sega and Sanzaru can pump out sequels at basement cost and feed off some of the success of the show with little to no financial risk.

I'd wager that we will continue to see 3DS boom series games for the length of the Boom spin-off's stint on TV.

Sega is the Wizard, Dorothy & pals are Sonic fans hoping it'll be good, TSS/SSMB/Me is Toto.

The way this game has been handled reminds me of this scene from the Wizard of Oz.

Sega have been like 'Here is our new game, it'll be much better than the last one" shows us some sign of it and drops one suggestion of it having less 'exploring' (Despite their original press release saying otherwise).

Well sorry but... I'm going to look behind that curtain, I want to see exactly why this game will be 'much better than the last one' but if I can't find any reason why, give me one reason why I should buy the game? Or why anyone should buy it?

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't get why everyone is baffled by the fact that Sega isn't putting much PR out for this game. Seriously, the previous games were mocked and ridiculed by the fanbase 24/7, the game critics had a field day with putting negative scores alongside Sonic once again, the industry as a whole was rather apathetically enthralled by the insanity around it all, and any interview garnered negative responses. Yet despite all this attention, even though it was negative, it still sold rather horribly.

Fire & Ice is a low-budget rehash of the previous game, and like the previous game, is aimed at the kids who watch Sonic Boom every morning on Cartoon Network, not the gaming industry. So this time around, they see no need to keep sounding the "New Sonic Game!"-horn to the whole industry; the kids and parents who'll buy this aren't going to be going to the latest Gamescon or Tokyo Game Show, read interviews on IGN, or the latest PR post on a single forum. All they need are advertizements on TV and for kids to see them and tell their parents. So that's what they're doing this time around.

Also, are we seriously going to get riled up about "false promises" from interview quotes again? For this game?..

Honestly, is it really that hard to predict what it'll be anyway? We know the full plot. We've seen the main villain. we can see all the major gameplay changes, and we've been told the non-core changes. I see shattered crystal with no medals, more and faster-paced levels, and more bosses (also that fire and ice thing but who cares about that).

And...that's not a problem for me. I still see the core mechanics complaints as needless, so there's not a whole lot I need to say.

Fire & Ice is a low-budget rehash of the previous game, and like the previous game, is aimed at the kids who watch Sonic Boom every morning on Cartoon Network, not the gaming industry. So this time around, they see no need to keep sounding the "New Sonic Game!"-horn to the whole industry; the kids and parents who'll buy this aren't going to be going to the latest Gamescon or Tokyo Game Show, read interviews on IGN, or the latest PR post on a single forum. All they need are advertizements on TV and for kids to see them and tell their parents. So that's what they're doing this time around.

The thing is, even if that's what they're going for, why aren't we seeing any advertising or new info at all? Commercials shouldn't be expected until later this year, but there's other ways of advertising to younger audiences / parents. I've seen no posts on their social media accounts about the game since it was announced, and it's not like they couldn't give us new info through an official site. Maybe they're just waiting until later, but...why? They don't have to show it off at big events to give us the occasional gameplay clip or something.

I don't even care about this game personally, it's just weird how they're handling it.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

The thing is, even if that's what they're going for, why aren't we seeing any advertising or new info at all? 

I don't think Sonic is the only one with the problem, I think most of SEGA's games for the entire YEAR has had much new info or advertising and I think the SOA restructure might have something to do with it. 

I don't think Sonic is the only one with the problem, I think most of SEGA's games for the entire YEAR has had much new info or advertising and I think the SOA restructure might have something to do with it. 

This would hold some merit if invisible advertising for their games wasn't kind of Sega's modus operandi for some time now.

Edited by Gabe

This would hold some merit if invisible advertising wasn't kind of Sega's modus operandi for some time now.

But Sonic is usually the exception to that...kind of?

It's certainly possible that all the stuff that went down with SoA is a factor in this, on top of SEGA probably just not caring about this game at all after what happened last year. Still, it's strange to see them not pushing the next Sonic game of all things.

• Thumbs Up 2

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/09/02/sonic-boom-fire-ice-to-be-promoted-at-carls-jr-hardees-in-october/

So Fire and Ice will be promoted through kids meals at Carl's Jr/Hardee's. What do you call a kids meal based on a Sonic game? A disappointing meal?

Aaaand it appears the tweet was deleted, though that probably doesn't mean anything. What an odd way to promote a game after months of not even mentioning it.

So random. After months of no news we suddenly get info, not about the game, but its promotion! 

Also, why don't they ever go for SONIC? >< 

• Thumbs Up 2

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/09/02/sonic-boom-fire-ice-to-be-promoted-at-carls-jr-hardees-in-october/

So Fire and Ice will be promoted through kids meals at Carl's Jr/Hardee's. What do you call a kids meal based on a Sonic game? A disappointing meal?

The tweet said the promotion will start in early October in both restaurants. Guess we should then expect an October release for the game itself?

Also, Carl's Jr/Hardees and Del Taco are the type of restaurant brandsSega are aiming for with Boom (or are the type of restaurant chains the series can reach, anyway). Quite a bit of a step back from the days of McDonald's Happy Meal promotions, isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

The tweet said the promotion will start in early October in both restaurants. Guess we should then expect an October release for the game itself?

Also, Carl's Jr/Hardees and Del Taco are the type of restaurant brandsSega are aiming for with Boom (or are the type of restaurant chains the series can reach, anyway). Quite a bit of a step back from the days of McDonald's Happy Meal promotions, isn't it?

Ha, I remembering going to DelTaco while on vacation (they don't have them where I live) and requesting the Sonic Boom kids' meal bag. That was sure a crummy connect the dots puzzle.

Oh well, at least it's something. It is a little lame, but it's better than absolutely nothing. I'll probably make a trip to Hardee's when these come out just to collect and stuff :P 

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone who would buy a kid's meal just to get their hands on Sonic Boom toys must be really, really... yeah, I'm already planning on doing just that.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'd buy like 67 happy meals to get Sonic toys.

Not... Not actually 67, but maybe 3 or 4.

Anyway I'm surprised we haven't heard anything since... Uh... When was the last time we heard about this game?

Anyway I'm surprised we haven't heard anything since... Uh... When was the last time we heard about this game?

Back at the Joyopolis event when the game was revealed to be coming to Japan. Some gameplay footage was shown then. 

How much money did you buy those ones? That's too many!