Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

It's kinda sad it's not had any new info since its release. It just makes me think the team's hit a snag and are too busy trying to rush and fix it before release, or SEGA's not really caring enough about it to advertise.

Bollocks, if there's a thing Sega is good at is advertising their games! Joking aside, would it be too bad if this game does get scrapped? I mean, I doubt it was really deep into development. I think Boom gave what it had to give...

But even shovelware gets trailers, just look at Rise of Lyric!

ba-dum-tish.gif

I just hope for once Sega will learn their lesson and make a game with effort for the 25th anniversary. 

And no, it's likely not cancelled. Plenty of shovelware games based on franchises tend not to get any trailers or screenshots, despite being announced a few months before release. Family Guy Back to the Multiverse for example was announced at E3 2012 with a few screenshots, and then nothing until the release date which was November 2012, where a few more screenshots came out and a launch trailer. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same case for Fire & Ice.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Sega were willing to throw RofL out in the sorry state it was to make some small part of their money back, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't go ahead with a game that, for all intents and purposes, seems just unmemorable at worst so far. Either way, they committed to the Boom initiative way too deeply, and they still need to make back some of their costs after RofL doomed nearly the whole thing to failure.

Let's just hope Fire & Ice is the last game they need to sit through before they can quietly bury everything and take a long, hard look at whatever the fuck they're doing with this franchise.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't think Fire & Ice will be the least we hear of the subfranchise.  From what it sounds like, Iizuka and Sega in general seem to be convinced that this is the right direction to the point where they're basically pulling a Cheetah-Men out of it.

Let's just hope Fire & Ice is the last game they need to sit through before they can quietly bury everything and take a long, hard look at whatever the fuck they're doing with this franchise.

Oh.. I think they won't fix their problem.(or change the strategy) In fact, I think Sega do this intentionally to kill Sonic franchise (or Sonic Boom).

I don't think Fire & Ice will be the least we hear of the subfranchise.  From what it sounds like, Iizuka and Sega in general seem to be convinced that this is the right direction to the point where they're basically pulling a Cheetah-Men out of it.

Hmm. sorry, I don't understand this post......

I've been out of the loop regarding Boom for a while, is Iizuka actually involved with Boom? Wasn't it said he barely knew anything about the subfranchise and had almost no relation to it?

Hmm. sorry, I don't understand this post......

To explain- Cheetah-Men was an enormously unsuccessful game for the NES that was packed with another enormously unsuccessful game, Action 52.  Cheetah-Men was planned to be a huge franchise rivaling existing media giants at the time like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  There were even action figures and a comic series planned, because the developers really believed that the game would be a success.  In Boom's case, Sega has gone on record saying that they believe that Sonic Boom is the right direction to pursue, and have mentioned things like movies and other phenomenal deals that could possibly come out of it.  Granted, it's different with Sega because they have the financial power to make things like action figures and comics a reality (and even sell them in decent amounts), but things like theatrical movies are far too early to tell at this point, and probably won't have a lasting appeal if they continue with their current track record of mediocrity.

I've been out of the loop regarding Boom for a while, is Iizuka actually involved with Boom? Wasn't it said he barely knew anything about the subfranchise and had almost no relation to it?

If I recall correctly, Iizuka is not involved with the development of Boom, but I believe it was he who made a statement saying they were going to go ahead and let SoA continue delving into it at the detriment of "older fans," as opposed to, you know, anyone who's played the games and knows that they're not up to par.

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 6

Just to be clear, I am aware that the show's still doing alright, so I don't expect the entire Boom initiative to vanish so much as just the tie in games. Hell, even if the games somehow still persist, I wouldn't expect them to be a single bit like Lyric or Shattered Crystal - if there's one thing I do know Sega for in Sonic games, it's kneejerk design overhauls, and now that Lyric's given them a black eye they'll do everything in their power to ensure the next chance they get to make a big game, it'll be absolutely nothing like it.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, either - we got Unleashed out of Sonic Team in panic mode, so who knows, there's every chance they'll use this wakeup call to get their shit together.

Oh.. I think they won't fix their problem.(or change the strategy) In fact, I think Sega do this intentionally to kill Sonic franchise (or Sonic Boom).

Don't be ridiculous. This isn't a case like EA where they legitimately seem to hate working on certain franchises and just want a self-fulfilling excuse to be rid of it, having enough successful franchises to fallback on on lieu of them - this is more a case of Sega outright fucking up and putting all their eggs in one basket. Sonic is their main moneymaker, so they're not going to be fucking stupid enough to kill it on purpose, even if many will argue they don't really know what the hell they're doing with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't be ridiculous. This isn't a case like Konami where they legitimately seem to hate working on certain franchises and just want a self-fulfilling excuse to be rid of it, having enough successful franchises to fallback on on lieu of them - this is more a case of Sega outright fucking up and putting all their eggs in one basket. Sonic is their main moneymaker, so they're not going to be fucking stupid enough to kill it on purpose, even if many will argue they don't really know what the hell they're doing with it.

fixed that for ya lol.

• Thumbs Up 6

Huh?

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/09/gamefly-lists-sonic-boom-fire-ice-3ds-for-dec-31-2016-in-na/

The game's release could be delayed to the very end of 2016!? It's most likely false information. Most people think that it will not be released next year or two because it's almost a finished game.

December 31st is always a placeholder date.

I'm surprised the game was delayed at all, but if it's not coming until next year, I'm expecting early Spring. I guess SEGA isn't feeling too great about the game, now, especially since we've heard jack all about it since its announcement. Or, maybe it's just being delayed to coincide with anniversary plans. Who knows with SEGA.

I doubt it's been delayed till late 2016! Early 2016 makes a bit more sense, especially for a small handheld game like this. Plus it would explain why we haven't heard or seen anything about F&I since it was announced.

Edited by Gabz Girl

It most likely means nothing, but...maybe they're delaying it to make it better? Maybe when it comes out it will actually be great! ...We can always hope, right? 

A week before Mighty No.9 got delayed retailers were listing it as Q4 2016 so if we were to based anything to go with what's going on I have a feeling that Fire and Ice is delayed. 

A delay's nice and all but I'll admit it's pretty unlikely that FnI will be a great game, it'll probably be good atleast. Licensed games aren't usually the best games ever made....

Unless it's Cory in the House.

I have a theory about this. They may have made a tweet about the promotion, then pulled it because they found out it was delayed, and then simply forgot to pull it from the site. The promo could also have been posted on the site BEFORE the delay.

Edited by Operationgamer17
  • Thumbs Up 1

Speaking about these rumours, I actually change my mind. I don't think Shadow will be in Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice or the game's story will not make any sense. Well, I don't know what it will happen if Metal Sonic's in the game.