Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

So I guess we have to stick to good ol' Runners then, huh?

Welp, here's hoping my pre-order doesn't go in vain and Fire & Ice can exceed my expectations if Sanzaru are putting as much effort as they can into the game and Pontaff/Guerrero give a nice, fun but solid story as well! 

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/09/14/sonic-boom-fire-ice-moves-to-2016/

Don't know if this was posted yet but it looks like there will be no sonic games this year. 

No console Sonic game this year? Ah, poo. I guess you all have the mobile games and the new Olympics game to play.

But hey, at least they're delaying it to focus on the quality. That's a good sign..... Right?

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/09/14/sonic-boom-fire-ice-moves-to-2016/

Don't know if this was posted yet but it looks like there will be no sonic games this year. 

Oh wow, I really wonder what's going on. If they're actually going to release it next year, between what Sonic Team has been working on for so long and whatever else the 25th anniversary brings to the table, this is going to be more overlooked than Sonic Dash Boom.

Color me impressed.  It sounds like they're actually working on it.  I feel such mixed feelings right now.  I don't want to get too optimistic, but i have to commend the effort at least.  I expected that if it were delayed at all, it would be just for a few months, not until the very next year.  Here's hoping the delay will be beneficial to the overall quality.

• Thumbs Up 4

Neat. I figured Sega's recent comment about wanting to focus more on quality was a bunch of corporate hogwash, but maybe that's not entirely the case.

Though I have to wonder if Fire and Ice is being delayed because Sanzaru wanted a bit more time to polish what they already have, or because Sega wanted some major retooling done to the game after how poor its announcement was received.

It's still going to be mediocre though.

i'm just hoping that a good portion of the work that goes into the game during this time will be working on a more stable and less floaty gameplay engine.  I'm not Genesis-style physics.  Just something that doesn't feel like a drag to actually play.

It's also entirely possible they're simply delaying the game to avoid competition, not necessarily to actually improve it - which makes sense on a glance, because Q4 2015 has a lot of competition. With the bad rep Boom is getting, the game would literally fucking drown in it.

Wow. The first news of the game is that it's been delayed.

This is not a good sign. It never is.

In fact.. reading the post on the blog. If anyone believes that statement about it being a positive. More fool you.

How the heck does a 3DS game which is built using existing assets, an already existing game engine, which was originally due for release in November...

Get delayed to 2016... because it just needs more polish...

Wut.

Lol come on. Who here is that gullible? Polish means the game is all but done,  you're just tinkering with art assets and maybe some minor things.

But to delay it for at least 4+ months after a period of absolutely no media information... lol no way. This game is/has been in big trouble and they're desperately trying to hide the fact it's in trouble with this 'polish' thing.

• Thumbs Up 6

On one hand, this could mean the new CEO's promise to stop prioritizing shipping dates over quality games isn't PR claptrap and people actually give a damn about publishing good games now. In terms of QA for Sonic games, this delay could be the best news for the series in a long time.

On the other hand, like Hogfather has said, it depends on how long the game will be delayed and (more importantly) exactly what is going to be changed during that time. Because given how Fire & Ice is basically Shattered Crystal in a new coat of paint, the game would need a lot of retooling (if not being scrapped altogether for a new design brief) to be changed into a game people actually want to buy.

Speaking of which, some of you might not remember, but Sega actually HAS delayed a Sonic game before. That game was Sonic 4: Episode I, which got pushed from a Summer 2010 release date (presumably, it was originally planned for a July release) into October of the same year, after the Partnernet beta leaked and people (rightfully) cried foul about the gameplay and levels. The reason people usually tend to forget (let alone know about) that delay is because the majority of the changes that happened with that title were cosmetic changes at best and did not address the loudest complaints. The two gimmick levels in the beta that were loudly decried were replaced in the console versions with two new levels made from scratch, and were easily the most notable changes made during the beta and the final game. Those changes of which were good and much appreciated, but the physics and excessive automation staying the same in that title otherwise made the delay completely pointless.

Likewise, if only token changes are planned and/or happening to Boom: Fire and Ice as we speak, then Sega might as well have released the game on its original date, because people aren't going to buy what they will perceive to be a polished turd of a game.

Edited by Gabe

Ask yourself.

How many times have you heard about a game being delayed which has had regular updates?

How many times have you heard about a game being announced, no news about it since the announcement... then it gets delayed?

Which usually turns out worse?

Exactly.

• Thumbs Up 3

we didnt get any news for starfox zero until e3,but it was announced last year

Announced with no release date. Absolutely huge difference.

• Thumbs Up 4

So the delay was true in the end? Yeahhh I dunno what to think about this. I'm personally hoping they DO polish Fire & Ice in time for release, but on the other hand it seems like they only delayed it because the sales would be disastrous if it came out in November. If the delay is long, I hope it was worth it in the end.

The fact that they're not going for a Christmas release speaks volumes about what the revenue they might be willing to sacrifice, as that would probably be the most lucrative time to release it.  Anyway, I agree that this delay probably means nothing, but I just want to hope, okay?  Can't I just have that? =(

Ehhh, am I the only one who doesn't give a hoot that the game is coming out or not? I mean, this game is nothing special in the first place.

Broken or polished, anyone's hardly going to rush out and buy this game.

Broken or polished, anyone's hardly going to rush out and buy this game.

Says you! I pre-ordered it and I'm gonna get it as soon as it comes out.....

My standards for gaming is ridiculously low and if the game is in trouble and extra time is needed then here's hoping Sanzaru can make the most out of the added time given to them.

I would like to be optimistic, but after Boom and all the bad press the series has been getting, I just don't have it in me anymore.

I would be considerably more optimistic if I actually knew anything more about the damn game than me apparently getting the pleasure of using Fire at Fire Thing and Ice at Ice Thing. Give us a demo. Show us some cutscenes. Give us SOMETHING.