Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

Just now, shdowhunt60 said:

Could you clarify what you mean here? Are you speaking in terms of Sonic Boom or as in the franchise as a whole?

In Boom.  It was mainly saying "Are you surprised that Metal Sonic and Shadow are included solely for marketing when it's been evident for awhile that the current mainstay cast has been as it is now for the same reason?" XD

1 minute ago, Tara said:

In Boom.  It was mainly saying "Are you surprised that Metal Sonic and Shadow are included solely for marketing when it's been evident for awhile that the current mainstay cast has been as it is now for the same reason?" XD

I guess I shouldn't. Despite all the hype about this super amazing world they've constructed, we've seen nothing of it, so I'd say that it doesn't exist.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Toy Fair 2016 TOMY Sonic Boom 33

Oh I see that this is still a thing.

Did Scott Cawthon design that toy? 

5nafk_by_sweecrue-d9snzms.png

Crossover deal when?

I had to do it. Sorry.

Btw, any idea on when we might see some more gameplay? Cause that would nice. Hint hint, Sega.

The game is delayed to the end of the year?!

Okay, on one hand, I gotta hand it to them, looks like they're working hard to make this game look good gameplay and anything else wise.

On the other hand, we have to wait longer... ah well patience is a virtue I guess?

I'm telling myself that Sega really realizes they're in a bad place thanks to the other Boom games and really meant what they said about a new commitment to quality, and that the delays are all for quality's sake. That's what I choose to believe until proven otherwise :P

• Thumbs Up 5

Games are being delayed

Comic is being delayed

Cartoon is being... who knows. Season 2 is "in production"

Even that "Sonic Showdown" thing on Sega blog is dead.

I'm not putting my "Sonic is dying" shirt, but seriously, when Sonic became so slow?

20 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Games are being delayed

Comics is being delayed

Cartoon is being... who knows. Season 2 is "in production"

Even that "Sonic Showdown" thing on Sega blog is dead.

I'm not putting my "Sonic is dying" shirt, but seriously, when Sonic became so slow?

2nd Season is being released in the fall and Season one will be on Hulu soon.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 22/02/2016 at 10:09 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

When this happened: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/07/sega-learned-about-making-quality-games-from-atlus-aim-to-regain-trust-from-players/

Sega was restructured last year and Haruki Satomi became CEO of Sega Games. He wants to put a bigger focus on quality, meaning that if a game's not good enough for release they'll delay it. This was very likely the case with Fire & Ice, which originally seemingly only had a year of development time. For some developers that's enough (see how fast Insomniac put out those PS2 Ratchet & Clank games), but for most that's really not enough time to properly finish the game for release. Two years meanwhile makes a lot more sense for a game like this.

On 22/02/2016 at 2:17 AM, Detective Hogfather said:

Annnnyway. Considering the news regarding the Boom season 2 news, the game.... may or may not actually be finished and it's being sat on, if it does release at the same time as the show, it might shift more units than if it were to come early 2016 like many first thought.

Sonic Boom season 2 may or may not be finished but they're waiting for Fire & Ice to be released. It's also possible both may or may not be finished and Sega is just waiting to release both for marketing reasons. Or both may or may not be unfinished and they're working their asses off to get season 2 and Fire & Ice ready for the deadline etc.

But seriously, stop pushing your "Sanzaru is just sitting on their asses" theory unless you actually have evidence to back that up. Not only are you making an ass out of yourself by pushing it with the slightest chance that it might be the case, a bullshit theory or rumor like that becoming popular can actually be harmful for Sanzaru.

Keep in mind that you're talking about people here. :|

20 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

But seriously, stop pushing your "Sanzaru is just sitting on their asses" theory unless you actually have evidence to back that up. Not only are you making an ass out of yourself by pushing it with the slightest chance that it might be the case, a bullshit theory or rumor like that becoming popular can actually be harmful for Sanzaru.

Good thing I've not done that otherwise one of us would look amazingly stupid right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Good thing I've not done that otherwise one of us would look amazingly stupid right now.

Eh, true, guess I misread it, still a bullshit theory though. :V

But seriously, put some more thought into what you speculate about what people are doing, especially with what you put up on the front page. Theories like that becoming popular can actually cause problems when they're pitching stuff to companies or looking for work, cause they can become questions the interviewer will ask if they turn up in Google searches.

16 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

especially with what you put up on the front page. 

I don't believe I have ever posted on the front page that the game has been cancelled. 

I have said in one line in my 2015 year of review that "it feels like the game has been cancelled due to the lack of information and delay".

But I have certainly not said that it has been cancelled in anything which could be considered a news update. Any time I have commented about the state of the game, such as where is it and why the delay? Of which said article has right at the top that its my own personal thoughts and mat or may not be the views of other staff/TSS.

So I really don't get where this is coming from since I've not posted in that topic for months and the last time I mentioned it was a throw away line in an article from December.

If people are worried about search rankings, might I suggest that Sega actually puts material out showing the game since anything they bung out will overwrite anything a fan forum puts out.

16 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

Ah, so your tactic is to shout bullshit and hope that Sega responds with something not bullshit?

Didn't think of it like that.

I think youre the one shouting bullshit here for some random reason.

First your accusing me of constantly going on about a theory which I've not done.

Now you're going into some conspiracy about Google results?

20 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

I think youre the one shouting bullshit here for some random reason.

First your accusing me of constantly going on about a theory which I've not done.

Now you're going into some conspiracy about Google results?

I already admitted that I was wrong about the former.

As for the latter: job interviewers do search company/people's names on Google to see what they've done, in which rumors and such can turn up.

Also, being accused of stuff you didn't do feels shitty. As you probably just noticed. ;)

2 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

I already admitted that I was wrong about the former.

As for the latter: job interviewers do search company/people's names on Google to see what they've done, in which rumors and such can turn up.

Also, being accused of stuff you didn't do is just shitty. As you probably just noticed. ;)

I see what you did there?

I hope this extended dev time give them time to add more boss battles. Last I though I heard there was going to be four.

29 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

I see what you did there?

I didn't intentionally accuse of him stuff he didn't do if that's what you mean. (Well aside from the sarcastic one :V)

Anyway, back on topic, I do hope the extra dev time means they'll put in more variety. They already said they're making the level design more linear (so also less confusing), so that's good. But Sly 4 showed that they can put in a lot of variety into their games if they try. And lack of variety was one of the biggest problems with Shattered Crystal, each stage was basically just the same obstacles repeated without much being changed about them.

Well, if anyone wants to know what Sanzaru games has been up to while Sega's delaying Fire and Ice, they just Released Tron Run/r for PC, XB1 and PS4. 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Jason the Jackass said:

Well, if anyone wants to know what Sanzaru games has been up to while Sega's delaying Fire and Ice, they just Released Tron Run/r for PC, XB1 and PS4. 

Looks like a pretty spectacular amount of effort for what amounts to being a temple runner.

Wait, you people think that all this delay time is for the sake of improving the game on the dev's level, first and foremost? And expecting otherwise is just "accusing Sanzaru of sitting on their asses" with no tangible proof, which is wrong now for some reason? It's like you're asking to be set up for disappointment for this game.

SEGA isn't going to pay Sanzaru to remake the game possibly two times over from the core up, if they have so little faith in it releasing apart from the holiday season/a boost in Boom interest, and Sanzaru isn't going to keep tweaking it out of guilt because it's not "a great game", because they were basically hired to make a budget tie-in game of all things. If it were on the same level as RoL as a personal pet-project, then maybe they would, but as is it's far more likely they're already done working on it and waiting for release without much concern.

It's not even a non-functioning game as is; in it's current condition (ripped from Shattered Crystal) it's perfectly fine, and even pretty solid for a cash-in game, not to mention the stuff they've already tweaked to the game to make it better than Shattered Crystal as a sequel. Only problem is that it isn't what we want, specifically, for our Sonic game. And because of that, we expect SEGA and Sanzaru to tear it all down in favor of making a game that plays more akin to the usual Sonic game? That's just unrealistic.

As it is, them either improving the game or leaving it the same is still up in the air for certainty till some new footage is shown off, but until then, being in limbo is the most likely case for the game to be in right now, and I don't see how it's the option with the least evidence when we're talking about a game that's basically a copy-paste job of Shattered Crystal.

Well, my personal way of looking at it is that the Sonic Boom games were such a miserable failure that Sega is taking a serious look at Sonic's reputation and realizing that they have to show that they really meant what they said about a greater focus on quality. If they're going to release another game called "Sonic Boom" at all, they can't afford for it to do as badly as the previous games with that name, or people will lose even more confidence in them. I could certainly be wrong, but just as I said in my previous post, I'm choosing to be optimistic and take Sega at face value until that's no longer an option anymore ;P

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Rouge Layton said:

Wait, you people think that all this delay time is for the sake of improving the game on the dev's level, first and foremost? And expecting otherwise is just "accusing Sanzaru of sitting on their asses" with no tangible proof, which is wrong now for some reason? It's like you're asking to be set up for disappointment for this game.

SEGA isn't going to pay Sanzaru to remake the game possibly two times over from the core up, if they have so little faith in it releasing apart from the holiday season/a boost in Boom interest, and Sanzaru isn't going to keep tweaking it out of guilt because it's not "a great game", because they were basically hired to make a budget tie-in game of all things. If it were on the same level as RoL as a personal pet-project, then maybe they would, but as is it's far more likely they're already done working on it and waiting for release without much concern.

It's not even a non-functioning game as is; in it's current condition (ripped from Shattered Crystal) it's perfectly fine, and even pretty solid for a cash-in game, not to mention the stuff they've already tweaked to the game to make it better than Shattered Crystal as a sequel. Only problem is that it isn't what we want, specifically, for our Sonic game. And because of that, we expect SEGA and Sanzaru to tear it all down in favor of making a game that plays more akin to the usual Sonic game? That's just unrealistic.

As it is, them either improving the game or leaving it the same is still up in the air for certainty till some new footage is shown off, but until then, being in limbo is the most likely case for the game to be in right now, and I don't see how it's the option with the least evidence when we're talking about a game that's basically a copy-paste job of Shattered Crystal.

I'm saying we know literally nothing about the current development status of Fire & Ice, outside of that it'll be released this Fall. Though I don't see how "being in limbo" is the most likely case, that's just baseless speculation. If anything there's reason to believe that they're trying to make it a good game going by this: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/07/sega-learned-about-making-quality-games-from-atlus-aim-to-regain-trust-from-players/

And I'd say they have good reason to make it a better game than Shattered Crystal:

JSaKuxi.png

There's a lot to improve on that game. They already said they're making to so the level design is more linear, with exploration being optional, so that's good seeing how the exploration part in Shattered Crystal was incredibly tedious. But it also needs more variety. SB:SC basically just had the same obstacles copied and pasted into different environments, and I doubt we would have seen much improvement from that if they just shoved out "more Shattered Crystal in different environments" within a year.

Them doing a copy and paste job of Shattered Crystal really wouldn't be fine, it would possibly be the end of Sonic Boom as a game franchise. Sega America is lucky to get another shot at making another game in the series after the awful reception of the first two games, and seeing how they delayed Fire & Ice until "it's ready" (that's literally what Ruby said in the announcement) and how Sega wants to put out more quality games they have enough reason to try to make this good. Shattered Crystal already got the "functional game" part right, now they need to make a fun game out of that.

Not something "we want" by changing the entire engine, not them tearing everything down and redoing everything. That's not what I said. Shattered Crystal maybe doesn't control much like a Sonic game, but it controls well enough as a fast platformer. What they need to improve on mainly is level design. If they do that, then it'd probably be a decent game.

Anyway, main point is: SEGA America has good reason to want this to be good if they want to keep making Sonic Boom games. Sanzaru obviously does as well cause having bad games on your resume is bad for if they want publishers to hire them or fund their games.

• 3 weeks later...

I have decent reason to believe that if SEGA isn't talking out of their ass (in regards to the Atlus announcement) that the next Sonic Boom will be alright at least. 

Unfortunately, I think because of how bad the reception of most recent Sonic games have been, I have a bad feeling that it's not going to sell well. Despite how reviews go, good or bad, I think most people are already decided on that the game will be trash. Thoughts?

Well considering that I did enjoy Shattered Crystal and Sanzaru are fixing a lot of issues with that game and adding more content to it with F&I, I feel very confident that it will a pretty good game in its own right. But will it sell? Eh, not really.

I mean, the games for Sonic Boom have a bad rep so even if F&I is objectively good, I doubt people would give a crap about it. They'll be like "another Boom game, lol nice try SEGA."

But hey who knows, F&I will sell quite well.

• Thumbs Up 2