Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

5 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I love how everyone tries acting like the game never got a patch that fixed most of the bugs... 

Heck, I got the game before the patch and I never once encountered any glitches until, on a replay, I attempted to break the game myself, and the best I could do was get Tails temporarily stuck in a ramp at Crater Lake. I've encountered more glitches in great, highly praised games like Ratchet and Clank than I have in Sonic Boom (or even Sonic '06).

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Heck, I got the game before the patch and I never once encountered any glitches until, on a replay, I attempted to break the game myself, and the best I could do was get Tails temporarily stuck in a ramp at Crater Lake. I've encountered more glitches in great, highly praised games like Ratchet and Clank than I have in Sonic Boom (or even Sonic '06).

Okay, but like, that doesn't null that the glitches are/were still there for tons of people. One glitch free version doesn't speak for the quality most have experienced.

• Thumbs Up 4

19 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Okay, but like, that doesn't null that the glitches are/were still there for tons of people. One glitch free version doesn't speak for the quality most have experienced.

I'm well aware, dude, I was just commenting on my own experience, like everyone else, and kind of wondering out loud why.

8 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I love how everyone tries acting like the game never got a patch that fixed most of the bugs... 

Yeah, saying 'there was a patch!' (didn't it take a month or two for that patch to drop?) doesn't nullify the fact that the game shipped in a dreadful condition. Or that it's still got so many insane glitches you can speedrun the patched version faster than the launch version - they stopped using Knuckles jump and found so much more bad stuff. It's so weird that having a game be basically functional on launch is seen as a luxury these days. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm seriously wondering if they're ever gonna show some new footage, just to see how far the development went, maybe at PAX. Because I seriously want to believe that they're taking this "we'll delay the game so we can work on it some more to meet that acceptable quality" thing to heart. Although, that might not really change anything in the end result if it were the case, but I want to at least give some hope into it.

5 hours ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

I got 3D in 2D one time and died. That was about it.

I mean, I also got the game at launch and both before and after the patch, I felt the game was pretty unstable.  That being said, I ran into a lot less glitches than a lot of other people, but the glitches I did encounter were pretty game-breaking.  Once I got stuck in a fort of sorts that had a collectible at the top, for instance.  Then the camera which was pretty all over the place at times.

But even if they fixed all the glitches, that says nothing of the actual gameplay.  Water running, for example, bares an uncanny resemblance to the speed sections from Sonic '06.  Read: One of the most notoriously broken aspects of the game.  Then there's the actual speed sections of the game, which control a little too much like Secret Rings but without the (comparatively) intuitive level design and with pretty much zero consequence for cocking up.  The water vehicle was also extremely cumbersome to control, even with a patch.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that glitches are one thing, but actual game design is another.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pax is pretty unlikely, I think they'll show in E3 or in that 25th Anniversary party in July...

On 4/22/2016 at 10:29 AM, Hyp3hat said:

Yeah, saying 'there was a patch!' (didn't it take a month or two for that patch to drop?) doesn't nullify the fact that the game shipped in a dreadful condition. Or that it's still got so many insane glitches you can speedrun the patched version faster than the launch version - they stopped using Knuckles jump and found so much more bad stuff. It's so weird that having a game be basically functional on launch is seen as a luxury these days. 

Better late than never, look at Sonic 06, it's almost 10 years, and that game never got a single patch to fix any glitches, framerates, or graphical issues. There are also many games that never get patched, or take too long to get fixes. Sonic Boom: Rise Of Lyric's team actually bothered putting their time into trying to fix as much as they could. That's better than nothing. I don't recall the 3ds version getting a patch for it's awful pixelated quality, and choppy physics. 

I don't get why so many of you are being hostile, just because I liked Rise Of Lyric, and disliked Shattered Crystal. You're all telling me to respect others' opinions, yet you people are no better, some of you have been rude and have been insulting me, just because I liked a game you all despised. 

Let's just drop the conversation ok, you all liked the 3ds game, and I liked the Wii U game, that's all there is to it, let's just end it there. 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 4/25/2016 at 0:35 AM, TimmiT said:

Just found the sell sheet (last updated March 21st) on Atlus' sales kit site: http://atlus.com/sales/boomfireandice/boomfireandice_sell_sheet.pdf

http://atlus.com/sales/boomfireandice.php

Im confused with the story, first they say Sonic has to save Eggman from D'fekt, while D'fekt wants to beat Sonic, then it says Eggman makes D'fekt an 'island guardian' after he absorbs everything by Ragnium in another article...

Seriously, which is the real one?

It seems likely that this'll just be another of the classic "monster of the week replaces Eggman at the last minute" type of scenarios.  D. Fekt starts off as a typical loyal Eggman robot but either rebels or goes out of control by the end, placing Eggman in as much danger as everyone else - like Gemerl in Advance 3.

13 minutes ago, FFWF said:

It seems likely that this'll just be another of the classic "monster of the week replaces Eggman at the last minute" type of scenarios.  D. Fekt starts off as a typical loyal Eggman robot but either rebels or goes out of control by the end, placing Eggman in as much danger as everyone else - like Gemerl in Advance 3.

Oohh, that would mean they already spoiled this shocking plottwist in their anouncement.
At least they would got that part of Hollywood style storytelling right.

Also, hate to be this cynical, but my inner jerk parody brain is immediatly amused by the contradictionary story descriptions. Makes me imagine the story is D-fect setting up an evil plan, only for the next cutscene to drop whatever was set up and introduce yet another new plot out of nowhere. Up until Sonic finally puts him out of his misery. After Sonic's done highfiving his friends at his own jokes for an eternity that is.
Classic Pontaff.

6 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

After Sonic's done highfiving his friends at his own jokes for an eternity that is.
Classic Pontaff.

Was the shot at Pontaff really necessary? I swear, I've seen this type of comment more than once, and I still have no idea what people are talking about when they say this. I've played Colors, Generations, Lost World, and Shattered Crystal, all of them multiple times, and I can only recall something like that happening once, in Colors.

• Thumbs Up 5

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 3:55 AM, Mystery Zebra said:

Im confused with the story, first they say Sonic has to save Eggman from D'fekt, while D'fekt wants to beat Sonic, then it says Eggman makes D'fekt an 'island guardian' after he absorbs everything by Ragnium in another article...

Seriously, which is the real one?

There was some poor writing in that synopsis. There was too much information crammed in a single paragraph. It should have been around 3 to 5 lines long at best. Or divided in two small paragraphs, with the 1st devoted to presenting "an all-new Sonic game" on universe A, B or C (BBoom, in this case), the 2nd summing up what the villain is up to plus an "all new feature" you'll experience with the gameplay.

A synopsis doesn't tell what the game is about. It presents the main concept in a way that's meant to peak the player's interest. It's supposed to convince the public to buy it, not to handle all of the game's secrets at once. 

Telling the player about the main plot twist - Sonic saving Eggman - is a beginner's mistake. Said plot twist is also a copy of Heroes, btw, but whatever...

• 2 weeks later...

I have high hopes for this game. I recently got a 3DS and plan on getting Shattered Crystal as my next game since I've heard... Better things about it than the other version. 

I think this will be a good game given the massive delay. 

I'm sure Fire & Ice will be much better than Shattered Crystal, obviously. I currently don't have the highest of hopes, but I guess we'll see! I'm sure the delay wasn't for nothing.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

1 hour ago, Tails' Channel said:

I'm sure Fire & Ice will be much better than Shattered Crystal, obviously. I currently don't have the highest of hopes, but I guess we'll see! I'm sure the delay wasn't for nothing.

"Being better than Shattered Crystal" isn't really a high bar to set. Just get rid of the half-assed Metroidvania, or make the Metroidvania more clear and better, and make the writing not make me not want to see the main cast mangled by Freddy Kreuger, and that'd already make it a far better title alone.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna be absolutely frank and admit that I'm not really expecting Fire and Ice to be a substantial improvement, let alone a good game; unless it was an entirely different (new or otherwise) base game from its predecessor. I think the overall core of Shattered Crystal's gameplay just seems rife with too many errors to constitute more than a handful of tweaks in certain areas in order to be significantly improved. The game's sluggish speed, engine, and controls is one thing, but there's also the labyrinth and repetitive level design, as well as the pedestrian use of gameplay mechanics and character speciation--the overall game design would require a large overhaul in order for the game to successfully be its own good take on a Sonic platformer. While Shattered Crystal does have a few concepts I think are worth revisiting (namely the idea of a Metroidvania Sonic), I'd rather see Sanzaru restart from scratch or use an earlier foundation of 2D Sonic gameplay for Fire and Ice.

Also, late response, but I'd like to address this:

On 4/28/2016 at 3:03 AM, SpongicX said:

I don't get why so many of you are being hostile, just because I liked Rise Of Lyric, and disliked Shattered Crystal. You're all telling me to respect others' opinions, yet you people are no better, some of you have been rude and have been insulting me, just because I liked a game you all despised.

Nah, it was more when you accused those who argued or questioned you about Rise of Lyric's qualities as being biased and claimed anyone who preferred SC to RoL were "clouded by Sega Genesis side scroller nostalgia" in your previous posts. This last reply of you slamming everyone you've responded to that disagreed with your responses as being being rude and insulting doesn't exactly make you the supposed victim here either.

So perhaps posts like this are why there was even any "hostility" in this thread in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 5

I've said this numerous times before, but I'm also pretty much in the boat that doesn't expect Fire & Ice to be a dramatic improvement.  I'm anticipating that it will basically be just as bad as Shattered Crystal, but less torturous by virtue of simply being shorter due to the exploration aspects not being forced upon you.  Those are marked improvements, I mean, but not exactly the kind of features you should be advertising as selling points.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 5/11/2016 at 8:35 PM, Tails' Channel said:

Especially when the delay is jaw-dropping on paper, compared to Star Fox Zero and Federation Force.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why Sega is not releasing any more games for the PS3.

Excuse me, but what does a Sonic game being on PS3 have to do with Fire & Ice?