Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

It's literally the first time in 17 years (I think) that I don't really care about a Sonic game. Fire and Ice seems to play so much like Shattered Crystals, I'm not really the intended audience for it. The game was automated a lot, you really had no control on the "fast" parts, and I don't like the stop and go mindset it had. I really think I'm skipping this one. My 2 cents about the new level design they're hyping about, it will be just a linear part in the centre of the level, filled with boostpads that take control away from you, and the rest of the level will still be slow generic metroidvania platforming that often forces you to switch character to perform a specific action and then go back to your favourite.

This is really no Sonic game. Let's hope for a main branch game this year!

EDIT: It's not that the game looks bad or anything, it's just not a Sonic game, it's the third (bland and generic) tie-in game for a cartoon (which I enjoy), when they really should have known better.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Wow! Hey, look! It's the same exact shit we were shown last year! It's the same damned thing as Shattered Crystal, but with the super amazing Fire and Ice gimmick.

Well, yes, you said exactly what I thought.

Okay, there is some improvement in the quality of the gameplay, still not amused that they used footage from the show though, this time from The Curse of the Buddy Buddy Temple.

I mean, the only new thing that's seen for the games story is these two showing off their fire and ice powers.

tumblr_o8gqsbL4cZ1u7kcv9o1_540.gif

tumblr_o8gqsbL4cZ1u7kcv9o2_r1_540.gif

that fistbump was cute tho....

Anyway, I think we should stick to what Aaron said and that all may be revealed in the 25th Anniversary party. Maybe even a glimpse of Boom season 2!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Fusion Zebra said:

Okay, there is some improvement in the quality of the gameplay, still not amused that they used footage from the show though, this time from The Curse of the Buddy Buddy Temple.

I mean, the only new thing that's seen for the games story is these two showing off their fire and ice powers.

tumblr_o8gqsbL4cZ1u7kcv9o1_540.gif

tumblr_o8gqsbL4cZ1u7kcv9o2_r1_540.gif

that fistbump was cute tho....

Anyway, I think we should stick to what Aaron said and that all may be revealed in the 25th Anniversary party. Maybe even a glimpse of Boom season 2!

You know, after looking at those new scenes. I did say they look just as good as the show, I mean look back at the CG scenes from Shattered Crystal. I mean those were fine but you could tell they're different from the show, when I look at these scenes. They look just like from the show, I guess OuiDo! made these cutscenes for the game, I guess (which could help strengthen the fact that the game's story will be more closer to the show).

Ooooooor.....

We might've actually seen footage for Season 2 in this trailer. I know that sounds completely ridiculous and it's probably not the best way to show off the second season of Boom with Fire & Ice. But if my assumptions are true? 

Welp, assumptions are assumptions. 

Or maybe, the animation team for the show just whipped something together, because it's cheap and doesn't take much effort. Could be that.

Just now, Detective Hogfather said:

3D animation is cheap and doesn't take much effort?

LOL!

It can be. And given how many corners are frequently cut with Sonic Boom, I doubt it's exactly Pixar we're talking about here.

Just now, shdowhunt60 said:

It can be. And given how many corners are frequently cut with Sonic Boom, I doubt it's exactly Pixar we're talking about here.

Please see my earlier response. 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Please see my earlier response. 

Perhaps some examples are in order. Case in point:

Sonic-Boom-Episode-39-Battle-of-the-Boy-

Take a look at this shot for instance. Look at the ground. Notice how incredibly low resolution the grass texture is, and how the ground is completely flat? Notice how, aside from the characters themselves, there's a complete lack of lighting? Actual Sonic games have far more detail packed into their environments for almost a decade now.

Or how about this famous instance where they literally copy and pasted Perci all over the place?

tumblr_nt7im9rixi1tfls6no1_500.png

Or anyone remembers the goo effects from episodes like Buster? Where the goo looks like it's straight up from 90's CGI animation?

Sonic Boom's a cheaply made show. That's nothing new to Sonic, because every one of them has been plagued with cheap animation. Seriously, the novelty of 3D stopped being impressive a long time ago. Even Disney Junior absolutely regurgitates them now.

Yes those are indeed some low textures and some methods to save time.

That still doesn't mean 3D animation is cheap and easy.

I get you're going off on a 'I must hate everything about this game cos' tangent, but this is getting ridiculous to the point it's verging on conspiracy theory territory.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Yes those are indeed some low textures and some methods to save time.

That still doesn't mean 3D animation is cheap and easy.

I get you're going off on a 'I must hate everything about this game cos' tangent, but this is getting ridiculous to the point it's verging on conspiracy theory territory.

It's really not. It's not hard or conspiratorial to assume the cheap tie-in game would have cheap tie-in animation to go with it.

3 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

It's really not. It's not hard or conspiratorial to assume the cheap tie-in game would have cheap tie-in animation to go with it.

It is when you're saying that the only reason those cut scenes exist is because 3D animation according to you is cheap and easy.

Just now, Detective Hogfather said:

It is when you're saying that the only reason those cut scenes exist is because 3D animation according to you is cheap and easy.

I didn't say that it necessarily was. I said it could be. That's the extrapolation you made, not I.

41 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Perhaps some examples are in order. Case in point:

Sonic-Boom-Episode-39-Battle-of-the-Boy-

Take a look at this shot for instance. Look at the ground. Notice how incredibly low resolution the grass texture is, and how the ground is completely flat? Notice how, aside from the characters themselves, there's a complete lack of lighting? Actual Sonic games have far more detail packed into their environments for almost a decade now.

Or how about this famous instance where they literally copy and pasted Perci all over the place?

tumblr_nt7im9rixi1tfls6no1_500.png

Or anyone remembers the goo effects from episodes like Buster? Where the goo looks like it's straight up from 90's CGI animation?

Sonic Boom's a cheaply made show. That's nothing new to Sonic, because every one of them has been plagued with cheap animation. Seriously, the novelty of 3D stopped being impressive a long time ago. Even Disney Junior absolutely regurgitates them now.

Let's remember this is a handheld title. So why are we comparing it to the quality of a tv show?

On 6/8/2016 at 8:08 AM, Ayliffe said:

New trailer? New trailer!

Well, that was a trailer I think. Whatever. It does look a little graphically touched up (I guess?) but other than that, I'm still not sold. Hopefully they'll show us SOMETHING at E3.

CkjEfn1XEAAnFkD.jpg

Welp, there goes my "the trailer showing off clips of Season 2" theory.

So the delay was focused on the gameplay and overall polish. We'll see about that.

• Thumbs Up 9

20 hours ago, Tails spin said:

Let's remember this is a handheld title. So why are we comparing it to the quality of a tv show?

Because regardless of whether the animation is cheap+easy (which it isn't) the TV show looks decent enough most of the time and the game is working well to equal that label of quality.

6 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Because they want to see a return on their investment?

Pretty much. And I get the feeling that SEGA invested a whole lot into Sonic Boom.

38 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Pretty much. And I get the feeling that SEGA invested a whole lot into Sonic Boom.

When you start up a new branch with a toyline, a TV show and a series of games, yeah you bet SEGA put a lot of money into Boom.

• Thumbs Up 6

Throwing it out just because some people don't like it would probably waste more money than it makes

• Thumbs Up 2

Given Shattered Crystal's abysmal sales figures, at this point, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change focus if you were to go by that alone.

But that's neglecting the fact that the merchandise and TV show are probably the best thing the series has had, revenue-wise, in a while, so any business savvy company would be quite foolish to pull the plug now.

• Thumbs Up 6

9 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

CGI as a whole is not cheap to make nor easy to learn at any level worth calling professional (if you want to do anything outside of animating in the industry and are unwilling to know how to code, don't bother), even when it's used for low-budget outlets. Remember, low-budget =/= cheap. No one on this forum can afford just a professional CGI animator's freelance prices to say nothing of the other jobs involved in actually crafting wholly-realized CGI, which is why it's a relatively expensive endeavor: Each minute facet of image creation goes to a specialized person or team whose expertise may not easily overlap into other fields due to CGI program's inherently high technical barriers to learn. While in 2D an animator can also cover as a character designer and an inker as they did during Disney after 101 Dalmatians, in CGI a person has to model the characters, another has to program them to move, another has to animate them, and another has to do dynamics with hair and cloth. That's four people with their own disciplines doing the job of one 2D animator. Furthermore, the programs and equipment to run them are far more expensive, and you need even more people who can maintain these programs and systems to decrease the likelihood of corruption and data loss. These issues don't really exist in a 2D environment, even a digital one. So no, CGI is not what I would really deem "cheap" or "easy" even when you're talking low-budget affairs like game cutscenes or TV shows.

Isn't that the excuse though that companies have used when explaining why they do cgi over 2D animation now? That it's cheaper and easier?