Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

I do have to compliment the promo art though. There's some actual intensity to it, which is a nice reprieve from the sunshine and rainbows we've been getting since Colors.

Wha-huh? I can't really think of any Sonic (box)art that I'd call "sunshine and rainbows". I mean, okay, Colours specifically has colourful boxart (naturally), but aside from that they're not really any different from most stuff preceding 2010.

Maybe it's going to be better than the first one

Because a SEGA employee is going to say "nah the game's gonna suck, don't buy it".

By the way, guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_number

The local speed of sound, and thereby the Mach number

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom

sound associated with the shock waves created by an object traveling through the air faster than the speed of sound

Sonic Mach 2 is Sonic Boom 2.

So Sonic Boom is now gonna be a 3DS side series by Sanzaru. Can we at least have a focus on speed and platforming this time though? SC's exploration sucked shit.

Also can we have something not written by Pontac and Graff?

It looks the exact same. Down to the freaking environments featured in the game.

You know what. I feel I need to change my signature to ask one simple question. 

Modified the Sonic Boom forum to be for the entire sub-series instead of just the original games (even though it was being used for just that anyway). :)

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, I'm not gonna lie: I have no strong feelings for this new title, one way or the other. I mean, really, what's the point of getting so fussed over something that is so clearly not geared for me? I'll just keep on waiting for the inevitable Sonic Team game (that, if Lost World is anything to go by, will probably be decent at best).

• Thumbs Up 3

If Sonic Boom Fire and Ice is Sonic Mach 2, then that means Orbot and Cubot will actually be in it, according to that German guy's voice acting portfolio.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Sonic Boom Fire and Ice is Sonic Mach 2, then that means Orbot and Cubot will actually be in it, according to that German guy's voice acting portfolio.

Considering they play a huge role in the Sonic Boom series, that's not shocking at all.

Using the dictionary definitions of the two titles doesn't really indicate any sort of substantial proof, albeit at the current rate, it does seem to be the more likely assumption.

I know. I'm just saying, Mach and Boom are very similar, and that Mach II listing is from Germany.

I just can't wait for Sonic and the other characters to shout D-FEKT!

Just reading into that press release a bit more:

"The new title also delivers gameplay that enables players to run through the game at top speed, or take their time with deeper exploration and puzzle play."

Well, if that's true then great. Having said that, the first game let you do that as well...before forcing you to go back and explore anyway.

"The team’s adventures will bring them to locations both familiar and new as they explore, race and protect their world".

Please tell me they aren't going to be reusing any level themes from the first game. I mean I know they likely won't but at this point anything seems possible over at SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know. I'm just saying, Mach and Boom are very similar, and that Mach II listing is from Germany.

Sonic Boom is just known as Sonic Boom in Germany, so I doubt they would change it for this game.

... well, here's a bizarre situation I find myself in- of somehow not being as enraged about a new Boom game as everyone else! :V

seriously though, eh. It looks bland, but the innocent, useless, innocuous kind of bland, Crash Bandicoot-esque villains and elemental powers kinda bland. It's a tie-in game, unlike RoL, pure and simple- SC always seemed to me the one most like the cartoon anyways. So long as the cartoon's going on, don't mind Sanzaru doing these as side things. Maybe we'll get some neat Richard Jacques tunes too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I miss Dimps.

...can't believe I said that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Using the dictionary definitions of the two titles doesn't really indicate any sort of substantial proof, albeit at the current rate, it does seem to be the more likely assumption.

Still it makes sense, Orbot was apart of Mach2 and Orbot is apart of Boom. most likely Orbot will be used in some way either as a menu assistant or in the cutscenes.

I'll go with Mach2 being SBF&I until we hear otherwise.

So, what are the chances of this getting a Japanese localisation?

Pretty good, after all Boom is being promoted there too right? the JP release of the Boom TV series should be out soon if not now.

Oh. That's just great. It's going to be Shattered Crystal with Amy and changing between ice and fire particles following Sonic. Woooooooo.

And yes the trailer more or less looks like the exact same environments from Shattered Crystal, just with a bunch of ice blocks everywhere.

I think it'd be neat if someone who writes for the show wrote this game's script. I don't have the same hate most people do for Pontac and Graff, but I can't deny SC's writing seemed pretty bad based on what little I saw.

Maybe they want Sanzaru to replace Dimps place nowadays, so instead of a portable version of the main games we get Boom on the 3DS and the main game on the consoles.

Who knows maybe they think that way they can keep both parts of the franchise alive and get rid of Dimps at the same time.

Well at least it can be as bad as Rise of Lyric right? Oh man, of all the games that had to be announced it had to be another Boom game.

I was gobsmacked to see this news.  I don't understand this franchise at all.

But... I guess it could make some sense; capitalise on the TV show's popularity and on the game that everybody forgot about rather than loathing.  Except SC sold so poorly... but maybe it had so little investment that it was still worth a second one?  If they seriously are setting up for some major asset reusage, I can see how it might be relatively cheap to make this...

But yes, this is absolutely a tie-in platformer in every way, right down to the totally arbitrary element gimmick.  I'll give them fair play and say they've improved on some things, though - Amy being playable rather than a damsel in distress, more than one boss in the game...  But still, though.  What is going on with this franchise.

I've yet to read the whole topic so maybe I'm alone on this but I thing this looks pretty fun honestly. The Fire and Ice Gimmick looks like it might be a fun thing. I don't know it just doesn't look bad to me.

I don't even know where to start with this.

And I have to cover it all.

Help.

I'm screwed.

• Thumbs Up 3