Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

I watched the gameplay trailer finally and thought "Wow, that looks like more of the same!"  But the more I watched, the more I did start to see that some genuinely good ideas were being delivered, and I feel like Sega and Sanzaru have the general concept down for a good balance between the modernization and team mechanics of Boom while also maintaining the flavor of the classic trilogy in some form.  The execution, however, still leaves a lot to be desired.  I have to say, the graphics still aren't exactly impressing me, but I do think the color palette is a lot more intelligent than its predecessor and very pleasing to the eye.  So basically, there is still no incentive for me to pre-order, but I do definitely see some effort on the side of the development team.  Some, being the keyword.

I still can't help but be surprised that this game is getting overall positive reviews.  Like, I expected mixed at best, but positive?  I have never felt so confused in all my life.

• Thumbs Up 3

While I'm surprised it's getting positive previews, I don't think it's a proper indicator to a good game. After all, there are alot of games where it's demo is better than the whole product. Hopefully that level of quality Fire and ice has in it's demo exist throughout the actual game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

DUDE! Those screenshots look mighty fine! Webber wasn't kidding when he said they would look better than the show in some cases.

• Thumbs Up 4

The amount of detail on those snippets is incredble.  Gives me SA1 vibes.  Here's hoping they look at least this good in the final game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo World Report got 14 minutes of offscreen footage (despite me and Alex asking a few times if we could and being told no. Maybe they had an exclusive?).

I was right about the air dash retaining momentum, and it looks like you can do it twice in the same direction now.

It's weird too that all previews characterized the tunnels as good, but they look exactly like the ones in SC, which weren't much but were kinda boring.

Also the guy fucking called rings coins god damn it

also the "ingame cinematics" are probably the portrait-style cutscenes from SC

it's really funny to see burnbot moving it's legs super-quick where in the show it just rolls on it's wheels 

overall, looking okay. Not much different than what we've seen previously, but if it's well-paced and meaty enough (the prime 2 issues with SC), I can see us making it out with a good game here.

EDIT: sorry, making IT out, we are not kissing 3DS cartridges

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow, I gotta say it's a great move that SEGA decided to put a huge focus on the show with Fire & Ice. I mean, concept art, behind the scenes on the episodes/characters, I mean I would love to hear how Alan Denton/Greg Hahn worked on episodes like Battle of the Boy Bands or It Takes a Village to Defeat a Hedgehog. I guess it really shows that the show is what keeping the branch alive so making the games for the show instead of making the games its own thing was a great change, if I say so myself. It helps that Austin Keys did mention that Fire & Ice's story will feel like an actual episode from the show, like the missing 53rd episode he jokingly said. Which again, I really like.

I'm sure the game won't be the greatest thing ever but it's really looking like it's gonna be a pretty fun game with a lot of content and replay value, and putting as much stuff about the show as possible because that's what people like the most about Boom is just a great decision and whoever decided that needs a GODDAMN PROMOTION!

• Thumbs Up 3

Looking at the gameplay, it looks decent, though the victory models look really ugly...

Also, two lols-

• It's funny that Sonic slams to an Ice wall :lol:
  • ALSO LOL LOOK HOW SMOL D-FEKT IS

latest?cb=20160504003517

Now that I think about it, he kinda looks like the Pokemon Elgyem, well head and maybe arm wise.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I'm not sure how these things usually work, but I find it weird that Sega didn't hand out a demo that resets after each play, someone else collecting all the secrets seems like a weird problem to be having.

Anyway, the level design still looks very bland and enemy and obstacle placement still looks very instrategic, honestly.  The game does look more enjoyable than Shattered Crystal, but Shattered Crystal also looked better on camera than it actually played so it's hard to say.

2 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Listen, I didn't come here to be kink shamed by a bunch of Sonic fans so gtfo =/

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm not going to pretend the level design is amazing, it's pretty average. Hopefully Sanzaru can change that if F&I sells or atleast is better recieved to see if SEGA could go for a third game, maybe something to make each level feel unique with some setpieces or something?

6 hours ago, Jason the Jackass said:

Nintendo World Report got 14 minutes of offscreen footage (despite me and Alex asking a few times if we could and being told no. Maybe they had an exclusive?).

OK, here's an interesting bit, at about 3:43:

Player: "OK, so I know for the previous Sonic Boom games...did Sonic Team have oversight of things for this?"

PR: "For Sonic Boom? No, Sonic Boom has always kinda been Western developers making games for the West. Sonic Team makes the modern Sonic games really well, I think the last game they did was Sonic Lost World....so they're usually focused on something else, and while they are focused on the next games they are making, we are working with other teams to bring Sonic Boom titles to the market."

So Sonic Team is still maintaining a relatively hands-off approach for the Boom titles, supposedly with all hands on deck for the next Sonic title. Considering how Sonic Team having minimal say for Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal was a large contributing factor on those games turning out the way they did; one would think they would learn from their mistakes...

So can anyone explain to me where are the so called improvements that everyone is talking about? The normal level looks like a typical Shattered Crystal level and the controls look the same, the Worm Tunnel level shows no differences and the boss looks too slow for a Sonic game.

This looks just as boring as Shattered Crystal.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I was right about the air dash retaining momentum, and it looks like you can do it twice in the same direction now.

It's weird too that all previews characterized the tunnels as good, but they look exactly like the ones in SC, which weren't much but were kinda boring.

Also the guy fucking called rings coins god damn it

also the "ingame cinematics" are probably the portrait-style cutscenes from SC

it's really funny to see burnbot moving it's legs super-quick where in the show it just rolls on it's wheels 

overall, looking okay. Not much different than what we've seen previously, but if it's well-paced and meaty enough (the prime 2 issues with SC), I can see us making it out with a good game here.

An air-dash that KEEPS momentum? Sounds very tasty. Do want.

Yeah, now that I think about it, the last time we had an air dash like that that you could use any time was Shadow.

19 hours ago, pppp said:

So can anyone explain to me where are the so called improvements that everyone is talking about? The normal level looks like a typical Shattered Crystal level and the controls look the same, the Worm Tunnel level shows no differences and the boss looks too slow for a Sonic game.

This looks just as boring as Shattered Crystal.

The speed is marginally faster and the colors don't make me sick.

That's literally about it as far as the eye can tell.

• Thumbs Up 1

sonic-boom-2.jpg

sonic-boom-1.jpg

Holy shiz. I know this has been said before, but they really outdid those cgi cutscenes! 

LOOK AT THAT SINISTER EGGMAN! :o

Also they get these powers from a mysterious energy? I thought it had something to do with D-Fekt messing up with the enviroment and all.

• Thumbs Up 4

You can practically feel the material of Eggman's uniform.  I imagine some people are probably writing fan fictions about it now.  It's some really stellar-looking CGI, and the lightning is super moody.  I absolutely love it.

The second picture is pretty cute, too.  While the trees and other background assets are lacking in detail and the lighting is very neutral, I feel like it suits the series' aesthetics very well.  That screenshot in particular gives me some very Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3 vibes, and I mean not just because it's snowing.

The in-game screenshots still look unimpressive as ever, though, but as I've said before, the color scheme has improved and is a lot easier on the eye.

With all these aesthetic changes, I can see that a lot of time and care has been put into the game... and yet it's still undecided as to rather or not more than a small fraction of that time and care was put towards the actual gameplay.  Demo soon pleeeeeeease.

2 hours ago, Egg Boss Zebra said:

Also they get these powers from a mysterious energy? I thought it had something to do with D-Fekt messing up with the enviroment and all.

I'm anticipating Sega's classic "You thought it was a mysterious energy, but it was me Dio!" plot twist that they like to exploit in hopes building tensions when it's actually kind of obvious.

• Thumbs Up 1

b9d0847a48c3e5948724d983a8dff846.gif

nqM2yp1.gif

Here have a gif from the stream of Fire and Ice

yeah the stream was not good picture but Sonic has ice powers and you can use them to boost through the level. the game itself it past paced and all the characters are fast. There is also a team action and you can pick and chose which character you want to use for a section.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Tara said:

I'm anticipating Sega's classic "You thought it was a mysterious energy, but it was me Dio!" plot twist that they like to exploit in hopes building tensions when it's actually kind of obvious.

Well that would be even better, Dio Brando is fucking awesome. 

Just imagine if Sonic games had the kind of impactful and iconic fight moments like the road roller drop.

509982-87de351764c9bfe88be24bbbf7581690.jpg

This is the worst edit I've ever made

• Thumbs Up 4

Now im 100% buying this game.

Guys, see? Delaying can make games better(except Mighty No. 9)