Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

Well Sonic Team is busy with Project 2017 so I doubt they'll be doing a handheld title as well and as for Dimps, well considering that they got a lot of flak for games like Generations 3DS, Lost World 3DS and both Sonic 4 episodes; would really be that much of a difference if they came back? (I mean, I still like LW3DS and Sonic 4 but they weren't that well received nowadays) 

Oh hey NintenDaan posted his thoughts on Fire & Ice. He's impressed by it considering that he doesn't like Rise of Lyric nor Shattered Crystal.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/hands-on-preview/43383/sonic-boom-fire-n-ice-3ds-hands-on-preview

But I caught something interesting.

Next to this, Ragnium also unlocks exclusive pieces of concept art from Sonic's Shack. There are a lot of tidbits about the television show and even some teasers for the second season. 

I like what I'm hearing from this!

• Thumbs Up 3

Man I don't think I've actually seen a single preview say this game is anything other than "good enough". It's weird, because even the really good Sonic games got some level of hate in their previews, and everyone just seems to be telling it like it is with this one.

I don't get it

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Man I don't think I've actually seen a single preview say this game is anything other than "good enough". It's weird, because even the really good Sonic games got some level of hate in their previews, and everyone just seems to be telling it like it is with this one.

I don't get it

Its really weird. I know this sounds super cynical, but perhaps Fire and Ice hate doesn't make for good clickbait so previewers just don't bother with making up BS? I mean, interest in the game isn't very high outside of the fandom, so I don't imagine too many people would be reading "Why Fire and Ice should have been incinerated instead of put on the ice" types of articles.

Well, just finished paying off the pre-order for the game and am looking forward to when I get it when it comes out.

I'm staying away from any previews or gameplay videos, to keep my mind fresh.

Sonic Boom FIre and Ice will be at TGS, and it seems there might be some related stage events on some occasions that will be livestreamed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's leaking.

Edit: Apparently it's not a leak, German YouTubers have been given the game and are authorised to show the first 30min of it.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm honestly surprised Sega of Japan seems to be pushing this game more than SoA or SoE. Their social media post about them a lot, they take the game to showcase it (TGS is one place, previously it seems there were 2 public events where the game was the main attraction) and they even gave it a collector's edition with the 25th anniversary crystal cube.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's kinda funny that it's explicitly not a Sonic Boom hat, since it doesn't have Boom-styled spikes :P

The preorder bonuses for the Boom games are just... so bad.  Like, it would be cheaper to buy the game used and then get the same hat than it would be to pre-order it and get both.

Someone managed to get a closer look at those in game cutscenes (Not the CGI ones mind you). Only the ones we seen so far. Second one has commentry tho...

Thoughts:

• D fekt dosn't seem to have a voice actor. Okay then.
  • I know this is cartoon logic, but pretty sure that's not how fissures are shut down...
  • Wow. Those communicators are useful to the point of transferring powers to other communicators!
  • Also how can Sticks generate the enerbeam and get the powers when she does not have a communicator? I don't think that steel bracelet of hers is a communicator.
  • Also, those in game models are ugly as hell. But expressive.
  • Thumbs Up 1

We've only seen the first in-game cutscene so far but I've gotta say, I'm really glad that Fire & ice's in-game cutscenes have actual dialogue in them. It's been so long since a handheld Sonic title had in-game cutscenes with actual dialogue in them (Lost World 3DS had the same cutscenes as the Wii U/Steam version so it doesn't count) and I gotta say it helps make things more engaging in terms of its story. 

I can definitely say that the story is probably going to be the most interesting aspect of the game, which is shocking considering Pontac and Graff did wrote it (even if they got the Boom show writers to help them out) but with that assistance, the characters don't really try to make forced jokes; just very short and quick ones. Like how Amy made a fourth-wall breaking joke about D-Fekt action figures (it's totally going to happen now XD); that was pretty amusing. 

And also the communicators absorb the Ragnium radiation which allows Sonic and crew to utilize the Fire & Ice powers? Meh, I've heard weirder explanations in this franchise so I'm fine.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 14/09/2016 at 1:12 AM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

It's kinda funny that it's explicitly not a Sonic Boom hat, since it doesn't have Boom-styled spikes :P

19 hours ago, Tara said:

the same hat than it would be to pre-order it and get both.

On 14/09/2016 at 0:18 AM, Shaddy the guy said:

I already have one of those hats

A brief history of those god damn hats.

These hats are actually 20th Anniversary merchandise... and there are so many of the damn things that I believe Sega Europe is doing everything they can to try and get rid of them. Here are all the instances/places they have been given out, that I'm aware of

* Promotional items for instore staff at GAME when Sonic Generations was coming out.

* IGN gave away 300 of them in a competition (how I got my first one).

* Summer of Sonic, each guest was given one in a goody bag (over 1000)

* A random Sonic themed wedding saw a delivery of hats which allowed every guest to get one.

* A make a wish sonic themed party had another delivery, every person at the party got one.

* Pretty sure they were also at a Sonic Boom event.

* Weston Super Sonic got a delivery of the hats, everybody who attended got one, there were around 100 left over on the day.

And on top of that, ever since 2011 these hats have been up for sale at various stores and I believe you can still buy them in bulk at GE Entertainment.

I have no idea how many of these exist, but I'm convinced that Sega Europe purchased so many of these that they have thousands of them somewhere in storage, at almost every opportunity they're still trying to get rid of them.

As for the RRP of £10... lol I can't shift them for £1 when I got to conventions! 

In fact if anyone is desperate for one, I'll sell you one for £1 + postage. I've got around 30 which I've been given randomly over the last 5 years.

• Thumbs Up 9

Wow I expected more FMV cut-scenes than last time but had no idea they were ditching the talking heads cut-scenes of... every handheld Sonic game ever aside from Lost World.  And while obviously the fidelity is lower the in-game graphics cut-scenes don't seem to have had any shortage of effort put into them, that scene felt entirely chreographed, no repetitive stock animations or anything.  Like the merchandise joke could have fallen totally flat without that aside glance and wink but the fact that they went to the effort to animate that really helped the joke land, nice.

Even if the stage design is on the forgettable/boring side like SC with all the team mechanics/fire & ice stuff being "put round peg in round hole" style stuff, so as to not make this worth more than a single playthrough, it still seems like that single playthrough, all things taken into account, will be a solidly fun experience overall.

• Thumbs Up 4

14 hours ago, Mayor D said:

A brief history of those god damn hats.

These hats are actually 20th Anniversary merchandise... and there are so many of the damn things that I believe Sega Europe is doing everything they can to try and get rid of them. Here are all the instances/places they have been given out, that I'm aware of:

* Promotional items for instore staff at GAME when Sonic Generations was coming out.

* IGN gave away 300 of them in a competition (how I got my first one).

* Summer of Sonic, each guest was given one in a goody bag (over 1000)

* A random Sonic themed wedding saw a delivery of hats which allowed every guest to get one.

* A make a wish sonic themed party had another delivery, every person at the party got one.

* Pretty sure they were also at a Sonic Boom event.

* Weston Super Sonic got a delivery of the hats, everybody who attended got one, there were around 100 left over on the day.

And on top of that, ever since 2011 these hats have been up for sale at various stores and I believe you can still buy them in bulk at GE Entertainment.

I have no idea how many of these exist, but I'm convinced that Sega Europe purchased so many of these that they have thousands of them somewhere in storage, at almost every opportunity they're still trying to get rid of them.

As for the RRP of £10... lol I can't shift them for £1 when I got to conventions! 

In fact if anyone is desperate for one, I'll sell you one for £1 + postage. I've got around 30 which I've been given randomly over the last 5 years.

20th anniversary? I sware I remember as far back as Sonic Colors getting these hats as pre order gifts.

Must be a damn warehouse full of these things...

What about America though? they have got to be pretty rare over here unless they were giving them out like candy over at the 25th anniversary party a month or so back.

On 9/7/2016 at 10:02 AM, Lucidream said:

Can Dimps and Sonic Team return? Please?

I'm sure Sonic Boom Fire and Ice won't be bad, it just doesn't look good either...  

lol no thanks. at least Sanzaru actually communicates with people and understands what we didn't like while DIMPS takes several translators and sticky notes on their monitors to realize that what they have been doing with sonic is no good.

I'm good with DIMPS being out of the handheld game for a bit.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, goku262002 said:

at least Sanzaru actually communicates with people and understands what we didn't like

I'm not really convinced of this when we're a matter of weeks away from the release of Fire & Ice and it still looks to have all the same problems as Shattered Crystal.  DIMPS isn't a perfect company, either, but they have a much better track record of making Sonic games I like (with one of them being among my top five Sonic games) or at the very least tolerate.

12 minutes ago, Tara said:

I'm not really convinced of this when we're a matter of weeks away from the release of Fire & Ice and it still looks to have all the same problems as Shattered Crystal.  DIMPS isn't a perfect company, either, but they have a much better track record of making Sonic games I like (with one of them being among my top five Sonic games) or at the very least tolerate.

And then Lost World 3DS was made xD

Just now, pppp said:

And then Lost World 3DS was made xD

Haven't played more than one level of that, but it's still just one game out several. XP