Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

Considering that a good amount of critics were pretty positive to the game but I won't expect like 8 ors 10s.

I'm thinking it will probably get around 6s or 7s, will really surprised if it did got an 8 from someone.

So yeah, I'm expecting a generally positive reception for the game but I won't be shocked if it's just barely above SC/RoL's reception.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm hoping the reception of the game is as positive as the previews (or--and this is more likely--slightly less positive). I know it won't magically repair Boom's somewhat negative reputation, but it would be a start; I still feel like it's too soon to write this sub-franchise off, especially with a second season of the cartoon on the way.

Okayish reviews with some positive and negative reviews on the side. So I'm expecting something on the level of Sonic lost world, "Not great but it could've been a hell alot worse". *shrugs* 

I do hope Fire and Ice somewhat repairs the reputation of Boom. I know the reviews are not going to be that great (especially from IGN), but I still have high hopes for this game. Just remember that this game was delayed meaning that this game got polished. Well, time to rest for the night and then wake up to see everyone's thoughts over Fire and Ice. See ya!

I think overall reception will be meh/slightly negative?

Fire and Ice may get praise for the dialogue and scenes, but I think the main criticism will be from the gameplay.

Some people may be fine with it, but then again, the gameplay is like SC's gameplay, with fire and ice. The gameplay is also too easy/obvious... (Regarding that article that said the game was boring).

Also, it's Sonic Boom. The last two games affected the spin-off badly. Even when hearing this game was coming there was a negative reaction to it.

I will be suprised if this game has meh/slightly positive views...(hoping that's the case) But if it doesn't do well, least we still have Mania to look forward to.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Soni said:

But alteast Fire & Ice is complete and polished compared to Rise of Lyric.

That remains to be seen.

6 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

That remains to be seen.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be ROL level of disaster. 

PSA: Can't say who they are, it's not us (at least I don't think anyone on TSS has one yet). But I can confirm that some websites have received review copies for the game.

Vs ROL "No review copies were sent" ... .... ... until 2 weeks after the game came out....

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, SonicEkkusu said:

What is a psa? Google didn't help.

public service announcement

3 hours ago, Starkirby3 said:

That's True, Fire and Ice is Better than ROL but what about Shattered Crystal?

I never actually got time to play it fully because after Rol, i lost all faith. 

Considering pretty much every person working on the game has cited it as "like Shattered Crystal, but a lot better" and we've seen plenty of evidence to back that up, yeah, it almost assuredly is better than Shattered Crystal.

Also again if you're now saying RoL you lost all faith, how has seeing anything here made you lose any more?

It's getting the sort of reviews I expected it to get, though IGN and Destructoid giving it those solid numbers did surprised me a bit. 

Anyways, picked up my copy of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Picked up my copy too, just played through the first stage; Glacier Forest. It's very much fast-paced, managed to collect all the collectibles within 4 minutes (helps that I remembered all the collectibles in that stage lol). But it definitely shows that the exploration isn't as tedious as it was in Shattered Crystal.

• Thumbs Up 3

The game's getting lots of positive reception from both fans and professional reviewers, which is actually making me wanna buy it to be honest. If I can somehow get it for $20 while I'm still interested, I will.

2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Since I already unlocked them... Here's the season 2 Sonic Boom images.

Also, wasn't sure if this should go in this topic or Sonic Boom season 2 topic, or maybe both? (Not sure if I can copy/paste the some exact comment into more than one topic.)

Hide contents

tumblr_inline_oe6ct7F0Nv1t0jmsi_540.png

Feast your eyes on the gang’s underwater wetsuits, which will be worn in the upcoming episode of Sonic Boom season 2. We all know that the Blue Blur can’t swim, but now at least he can breath under water without having to seek out floating air bubbles every 23 seconds. Baby steps, people. Baby steps…

tumblr_inline_oe6cu0eEdE1t0jmsi_540.png

Eggman hasn’t just been resting on his laurels during the hiatus between Sonic Boom seasons 1 and 2. Our favorite evil madman has been hard at work crafting a brand new class of minions. They’re bigger, meaner, and more dangerous than ever. …But don’t worry, Team Sonic will still tear through ‘em like tin foil (the cheap dollar store kind, not the name brand stuff).

tumblr_inline_oe6csixHfd1t0jmsi_540.png

This is Bea. She’s a bee. (…Well, a Beebot, technically.) And she’s about to bee adopted by Amy Rose in an episode of the show’s second season. When news got around the Village, it caused quite the buzz. Sorry about all the lame puns; next time we’ll try to think of jokes that have more sting to them.

tumblr_inline_oe6csgTArt1t0jmsi_540.png

Ready for an exclusive preview of some new characters in Sonic Boom’s upcoming season 2?! Meet Mighton and Bolts, two robots from a mysterious city in the clouds. How do you know which one is which? Simple! Mighton is the mighty one, and Bolts is, uhh… the bolty one?

tumblr_inline_oe6cufLaBk1t0jmsi_540.png

The action gets heighted in Sonic Boom’s second season, and we do mean that literally. Some of our characters will even travel into outer space! We just hope that Sticks and Knuckles got a good deal on their airfare, because there’s no way our accounting team is going to reimburse those travel expenses.

I think Mighton is the red one. (Wondering about pieces I could use to Sprite it). I think the bottom ones will be in Spacemageddonpocalapse. Are these all the S2 shots?

Seemslike it's getting the "okayish" reviews I was expecting.  Only marginally better than Shattered Crystal.  Eventually it will go down on Amazon for like $3, and that's probably when I'll end up getting it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tara said:

Seemslike it's getting the "okayish" reviews I was expecting.  Only marginally better than Shattered Crystal.  Eventually it will go down on Amazon for like $3, and that's probably when I'll end up getting it.

It's a huge improvement over SC.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, GoldfishGroup said:

It's a huge improvement over SC.

Not really, the only big changes is that there's much more levels and no forced exploration. The level design is more and less the same but getting the collectibles isn't as tedious to get and the characters just feel faster.

• Thumbs Up 1

Neat to know that it's a pretty decent game so far, but I'm still not really interested in it. Not really a fan of the Boom series, honestly. Maybe I'll get it later on.

Finally finished and yeah, it's good. Better than the other Boom games, but I don't think it's a Sonic game people need to rush out and spend $40 on right now. A price drop is better. I had a few nitpicks here and there, but overall I hope a 3rd Boom 3DS game can be made with even more improvements and the cartoon writers doing the story again. The best thing about the game was honestly the story for me because it felt like another fun episode from the show, but that's just me. 

Nitpicks
- Having to race against the robot and doing the entire lap 3 times. It gets tedious when Eggman pulls you out of nowhere to race his easily pathetic bot. 
- Game still has that automatic running dash 

I *think* I had one more, but I forgot. Eh. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So do we have an idea of how much was changed in comparison to the first build yet? I'm not expecting much but it'd be nice to know whether or not the delay mattered for anything other than timing.

Nice that the game is doing well for a change, but dunno where I stand with this one still. Seems better than Shattered Crystal thanks to the F&I mechanics and new-ish level design, but... it's still just another SC, that could very easily fall into the same issues. Without new level mechanics and props to switch the level design up at least even slightly every few levels, it'll become just another slog, imo. 

The new addition of "challenge stages" does interest me, though. Racing was eh in SC due to the rubber banding and the tunnel stages were particularly bland, and it doesn't seem to be all that different in this, but if the game can actually make a good challenge out of it's mechanics ala Crash Bandicoot or the like... I'd be pretty down with that. How are these stages for those who have played it already, and what's their ratio to the rest of the game's levels?

Each main level has a challenge room, the rooms I've played so far is more of an obstacle course. Nothing too challenging but it's best to keep on your toes in these rooms. The reward for passing these rooms is a trading card, they work the same as the Blueprints from Shattered Crystal but instead of unlocking upgrades; they just unlock new courses for Bot Racing. The other stuff like the Fissure Tunnels, Hovercraft, Bot Racing and Submarine stages only have one stage in each hub world so yeah. But the thing is while Shattered Crystal had only one stage in each hub world, with only like 2 hubs having 2 stages or so. I've just cleared World 2 and I'm just clearing the rest of the stages I missed, there's like 4 stages in each hub. So yeah, there's definitely a lot of content in this game than in SC for sure.