Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

And the screenshots and trailer tell a different story.

Yes, and if you went on my pay to a magazine and said the truth "the major downfall was that they were rushed buggy games", I'd have said "do you even fucking understand PR and how fast can I fire your ass"

That's not my point. The level design was crap, yes, but they could have just left it with that, instead of deciding to go ahead and blame old time fans because they aren't used to it. It's a shitty excuse, and one they could have just not said, and left it at we agree the design wasn't that good, we're improving it.

So wait.... Like, is Pontac and Graff writing for this or not?

We don't know yet. Maybe they are? Maybe they're not? Would it really matter, either way?

guys... they listened to us.

ee39a0cddc17d788db532c9b1e2f4a40.jpg

Sonic Unleashed was meant to improve upon what people didn't like about '06, but that is still riddled with flaws, and I'm saying this as a huge fan of Unleashed.

Even if they did take fan feedback into account, that doesn't mean they executed properly.  There's a difference between listening and comprehending, and so far Sega hasn't fulfilled the latter portion.

we agree the design wasn't that good, we're improving it.

Again, would you pay your PR guys to say "our last product was shit"?

They're grabbing the gravest complaint they can that doesn't paint the last game as actually bad, and working on it for PR. It's the minimum their job asks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Again, would you pay your PR guys to say "our last product was shit"?

They're grabbing the gravest complaint they can that doesn't paint the last game as actually bad, and working on it for PR. It's the minimum their job asks.

But that's more or less what they said in the article anyway. Blaming it on the fans who pay for your games isn't exactly the wisest policy either. Same way it wasn't when Capcom tried to blame fans for Mega Man Legends 3's cancellation.

Probably some persistent PR mangagers will persuade critics that it's better than the first one (or they will bribe them if doesn't work) but we have to wait until release and then we'll see.

Although Sonic Boom probably never will be the real deal for most Sonic fans (me included). For the most part it's made for children who are new to the series and not fans.

But that's more or less what they said in the article anyway. Blaming it on the fans who pay for your games isn't exactly the wisest policy either. Same way it wasn't when Capcom tried to blame fans for Mega Man Legends 3's cancellation.

But they're not blaming the fans. They shift the blame to themselves, while also not saying "it was shit". They say "we were dumb and didn't know how to reach what most people wanted, so we're correcting that now". Good PR, not a lie, basic producer talk. It's not Frost joining a fan forum and lying directly, it's a basic simple but still true misdirection. It's an elephant in the room instead of either insulting the company's product or outright lying.

• Thumbs Up 3

Again, would you pay your PR guys to say "our last product was shit"?They're grabbing the gravest complaint they can that doesn't paint the last game as actually bad, and working on it for PR. It's the minimum their job asks.

You can admit in PR that your product wasn't well received by critics, because again that doesn't directly refer to the product's quality, especially when the layman tends to be more forgiving to products than reviewers outside of egregious examples. It also gives people who agree with critics the impression that you are actually listening. Once you do that, you start listing the new things in the game and explaining why they would be quality attributes, like any other title. Stop with this "so you want them to literally say the game is shit and lose their jobs?!" strawman, especially since it doesn't address the notion that the reason they made the changes is because Sonic fans don't understand how Metroidvania games work.

Oh dear. I guess despite how the year of Sonic panned out, they're still trying to cling to the fantasy that Sonic Boom is an instant hit. I'll agree, the show is pretty decent (with some cringing jokes here and there) but the game is garbage. This just looks like a copy-paste with Amy playable and fire & ice I guess. 

We don't know yet. Maybe they are? Maybe they're not? Would it really matter, either way?

To me it would I found the writing for Shattered Crystal to be just terrible. If the cartoon writers were on board, then I'll feel relaxed knowing that the game will probably be just as funny as the show is. 

They're also clinging to the thought that their Sonic is the face of Sonic now while "legacy" Sonic is equal. From what I've seen, people still very much treat Boom Sonic as secondary to main Sonic, by quite a large margin.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well....the game does seem to flow a bit better than Shattered Crystal so for at least now I'll give it that.

The five stages of grief:

Denial - Releasing Sonic Boom, believing that Sonic Boom could be a new Sonic Adventure.

Anger - Seeing the backlash the game got within seven minutes of release.

Fear - Wondering whether the mascot might be living his final days.

Depression - The convinced feeling there is not a person in the world who will ever enjoy or even care for the Sonic Boom games.

Acceptance - Sonic Boom Fire & Ice.

:(
  • Thumbs Up 2

They're also clinging to the thought that their Sonic is the face of Sonic now while "legacy" Sonic is equal. From what I've seen, people still very much treat Boom Sonic as secondary to main Sonic, by quite a large margin.

• Thumbs Up 1

To me it would I found the writing for Shattered Crystal to be just terrible. If the cartoon writers were on board, then I'll feel relaxed knowing that the game will probably be just as funny as the show is. 

You can admit in PR that your product wasn't well received by critics, because again that doesn't directly refer to the product's quality, especially when the layman tends to be more forgiving to products than reviewers outside of egregious examples. It also gives people who agree with critics the impression that you are actually listening. Once you do that, you start listing the new things in the game and explaining why they would be quality attributes, like any other title. Stop with this "so you want them to literally say the game is shit and lose their jobs?!" strawman, especially since it doesn't address the notion that the reason they made the changes is because Sonic fans don't understand how Metroidvania games work.

• Thumbs Up 2