Awoo.

Does this mean we're getting a Boom movie?

Badnik Mechanic

In an interview with US Gamer....

When asked is this new Sonic game represents the future of the franchise? SB: F&I producer said this...

“Sonic Boom is meant to branch away from the classic/legacy Sonic. Our plan is to go forward with both the modern Sonic and the legacy Sonic, but the Sonic Team will handle the legacy side of things in Japan. For us, the Western initiatives will tie into the toys, merchandising animation – movies potentially even. We’re branching out into the more upbeat adventure style theme for Sonic Boom.”

The thing is, the PR is so poorly worded, I don't know if they mean Sega Sonic or Boom Universe.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/whats-next-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-and-friends

The Ride never ends.

I wonder if that Sonic movie that was apparently in production is a Boom movie all along, dunno if they'd make one movie for Game!Sonic and Boom!Sonic.

nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopeOHGAWDPLZNO

I don't think it was poorly worded at all. When the PR person says "Western initiative" it strictly sticks to every thing regarding Boom. 

In return, all I think the PR person is saying is if the opportunity ever arise to where they could make a Sonic Boom movie, then they'll take it. That's it. 

That's what all I took from it. If there was a Boom movie, I would be perfectly fine with it as long as the cartoon writers are the ones working the script. I feel comfortable with them because I been liking the cartoon (even with its multiple cartoon writers working on different episodes. Though, I guess I probably want the ones that overall do the better episodes to work on the movie.)

• Thumbs Up 1

It wouldn't surprise if the movie that's been the topic of discussion for awhile now has is purportedly based on Boom.  It would make sense for them to want to use the most recent incarnation in order to build up hype about it.  Really, I just don't want there to be a Sonic movie at all, not with I've with anything I've heard about it thus far.

"Movies potentially even".

Sound to me more like it's merely something that is within the realm of possibility but not necessarily planned as of right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh God...

A live action Sonic movie is already bad enough but if it's a Sonic Boom movie then I'm definitely out. I can only hope it's poorly worded.

Well, seems more like they're thinking about it. Even if it's true, I can't imagine what the plot would be.

Hopefully not the "characters are taken to the human world, they gotta find a way home, but at the same time, they are ruining some guy's life" plot, with realistic versions of the characters. Ew, no.

Didn't Van said that the upcoming Sonic has no affiliation with Sonic Boom, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't just simply just change it over to Boom despite it's admittedly poor debut.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Movies potentially even".

Sound to me more like it's merely something that is within the realm of possibility but not necessarily planned as of right now.

Exactly this. They're probably talking about the Boomverse, but this is not even in the same universe as confirming a movie, so it's not really worth worrying about.
  • Thumbs Up 1

The original Boom website had a tab that said "movies" on it, but it was grayed out and you couldn't click it. It isn't there anymore, though...

what if its a cinematic short just like the night of the werehog? i think it would be nice..

hehe i mean if its a sort of long episode of the actual series.. i think there is nothing wrong with it.. ^_^

Didn't Van said that the upcoming Sonic has no affiliation with Sonic Boom, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't just simply just change it over to Boom despite it's admittedly poor debut.

While that does raise some doubt, at this stage, it's so early in development that anything could be changed at this point.

The context seems to be fairly clearly about Boom, so he's most definitely meaning a Boom film.

Now, if that will be greenlit, who knows.

I think the cartoon would have to do PHENOMENALLY for there to be a film.

But given the trend of a lot of cartoons to get a movie at some point... ohoho, I say it's a safe bet we'll see one.

what if its a cinematic short just like the night of the werehog? i think it would be nice..

hehe i mean if its a sort of long episode of the actual series.. i think there is nothing wrong with it.. ^_^

A Boom movie? .....That would make sense, considering how well the show has been doing. Still, they would want to have a Sonic film based on the core Sonic (which is Modern Sonic right now), so the rumored film turning into Boom is very odd. I mean, the film is for the 30th anniversary I think, so it would be strange to celebrate it with Boom Sonic.

Either way, the Boom-verse getting a film would be okay I think :). Lots of room for humor, the much longer running time could lead to a great plot and I could see this hypothtical film stand next to the SpongeBob Movie or the Powerpuff Girls movies; films that honor the show they are based on and stand on their own as well.

I say 'Lets see what happens' regarding this; if it does, that is fine with me as I do enjoy the show :D. If not, meh, I wouldn't mind that either.

I'm all for a main series based movie but I don't see how a Boom based movie would actually work given the nature of the show. If by "movie" they mean "hour long TV special" or something then I could see this working but a 2 hours or so theatrical release? No.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm all for a main series based movie but I don't see how a Boom based movie would actually work given the nature of the show. If by "movie" they mean "hour long TV special" or something then I could see this working but a 2 hours or so theatrical release? No.

If SpongeBob can do it, then I don't see why Sonic Boom, provided they have access to good writers, couldn't do a theatrical release.  Regardless, I think it's far too early in the series' lifespan to be considering anything theatrical.

Seriously, I love the Boom TV show, but Sega is pulling a Cheetahmen with their insistence that this show is the hottest shit ever.  The TV show has been notably successful, but it's yet to receive the kind of acclaim that they keep pretending it has.

• Thumbs Up 1

If SpongeBob can do it, then I don't see why Sonic Boom, provided they have access to good writers, couldn't do a theatrical release.  Regardless, I think it's far too early in the series' lifespan to be considering anything theatrical.

Seriously, I love the Boom TV show, but Sega is pulling a Cheetahmen with their insistence that this show is the hottest shit ever.  The TV show has been notably successful, but it's yet to receive the kind of acclaim that they keep pretending it has.

I think their idea is "the more money we pour into this, the more likely people will love it."

It's a shame that mentality didn't take hold prior to Rise of Lyric's release, though.

I can see a TV special with a direct-to-DVD release, but something theatrical? Probably not. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I doubt it will.

I mean, apparently the show is popular right now, but is it really that big? And can it really sustain its popularity? I mean, it's a fine show, but I have a feeling that a lot of the hype comes from the fact that it's Sonic.

Maybe a lot of this just derives from the fact that I find the show unremarkable...it's not bad, but it's nothing special either. Ah well, only time will tell.

I think a line of direct-to-video films in a similar vein to Dragon Ball Z's movie line (or The Land Before Time if bad, rehashy sequels are your fancy) would be pretty awesome.  Something to look forward to in terms of releases is always nice.

But that's essentially what I was saying earlier.  I love the show a lot, but it's far too early to be contemplating anything theatrical.  They need to look at what they're doing and think of a strategy to maintain the series' popularity that doesn't involve pouring tons of cash into lackluster products.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if that Sonic movie that is in production could turn out to be a Boom movie, dunno if they'd make one movie for Game!Sonic and Boom!Sonic.

I think that would probably be a bit opaque to the average consumer whose Sonic awareness is only general.  If they managed to get a series of Boom direct-to-video movies going, though, I wouldn't be surprised if something similar eventually happened there.

• Thumbs Up 1