Awoo.

SEGA is half-assing promotion!

edge.

Why is SEGA half-assing promotion on a majority of their games. People ask why all the Sonic games aaren't selling well or why barely any of their other games are doing well. I say this because the ONLY SEGA I have seen any proper promotion for in the past six months in the US is "The Conduit". I know the game is raving critic-wise. But with this, I realized that SEGA (of America, I mean) only does promotion for games that are raving critically. What other reason there hasn't been any GOOD promotion (I'm talking mainly TV commercials and magazine ads here) since Sonic Unleashed? None I see.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edge.

• Flyboy Fox

• JezMM

• blackherox

The last time I saw any serious promotion for a sega game would be Sonic and Mario here in the UK... however... if you ask me... I think it's a trend for a lot of companies.

Other than film tie in titles, and adverts which follow the official console formula (take a look at the majority of the Wii/Xbox adverts to see what I mean.

I've barely seen any promotions for any games of late at all.

Hm - that's true. Unleashed was pretty polished, and as a major Sonic title, that's something you wanna publicize.

And Valkyria Chronicles, I didn't see anything for that either. Just the Conduit and Madworld. They better get on Bayonetta soon.

And the only ad I saw for Unleashed was linked on here, I didn't see a single TV spot. Maybe I'm not watching the right channels?

Edited by Badnikz

And Valkyria Chronicles, I didn't see anything for that either.

Maybe they can air the anime here on Cartoon Network. Ahh, who am I kidding? Cartoon Network doesn't show cartoons anymore.

Edited by Mike

since when did cartoon network not show cartoons?

Since they added on CN Real. They still show cartoons tho but not as much. ALSO I barely saw any MadWorld promotion here in the US. The only reason MadWorld was even heard of was b/c of the controversy surrounding it.

Edited by JTW

I remember seeing a bunch of Unleashed Adverts on (american) CN. It was basically some gameplay, with shots of a kid turing into a werewolf as he played the game. Not exactly memorable, but the way he went after the cat at the end was pretty funny.

Frankly, I don't think promotions have a huge effect on Sonic's sales. Anyone who would still buy a Sonic game is probably a pretty diehard fan, and about 90% of the people that wouldn't probably won't be convinced by a television commercial. On the other hand, if ST could take their consistently awesome CGI cutscenes and translate them into television spots, I would happily eat my words.

I can't be the only person who came in this thread hoping for something about a popular AoStH Robotnik meme. =(

I did see an Unleashed advert on TV once, which is way more than I normally see on TV for a Sonic game. Can't blame them. Publicity costs much dollah I guess.

CGI cut-scene-esque ad spots... I would die happily. I'd love to see some off-the-camera type moments with the cast discussing the games in a fourth wall sense. In CGI. Not people in stupid fat costumes D:

Huh, I saw a ton of MadWorld. It was everywhere I looked. (although that statistic may be a little stretched considering how much time I spent watching those delightful DeathWatch adverts).

these days I haven't seen many promo's for any specific game. I see alot of multi game commercials, mainly the EA Sports and PS3 ones that cram in as many tittles as possible. Sega certainly is not alone in the lack of ad's department though.

Huh, I saw a ton of MadWorld. It was everywhere I looked. (although that statistic may be a little stretched considering how much time I spent watching those delightful DeathWatch adverts).

these days I haven't seen many promo's for any specific game. I see alot of multi game commercials, mainly the EA Sports and PS3 ones that cram in as many tittles as possible. Sega certainly is not alone in the lack of ad's department though.

Do not get me started on some of the other companies that suck promo wise.

I have this conversation with AAUK about Sega's lack of promotion every time we meet. XP It usually involves AAUK saying they won't release Yakuza in the West because it sold poorly, and me saying that the reason it sold poorly is because Sega doesn't bother to advertise it. It's a deadlock debate that may never end in our lifetimes. XD

I also can't believe I'm the first person in this thread that thought "Promotion? What for!?"

I already used the PRRRRROMOTION gag elsewhere today, so I didn't think of it here. You are surely the better man, Dread ;_;

I can understand not wanting to tip shitloads of revenue into an ad campaign that would drain SEGA financially more than it would help them... but surely they want people to know that their games EXIST, no? o.o

I don't exactly watch TV all of the time, but I still managed to see the Unleashed TV spot quite a few times on channels such as Cartoon Network, Jetix and Nickelodeon. On the same channels I also remember seeing Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Riders and even Sonic Rivals advertised too! The games are promoted, but they're promoted to the kids. After all, they're the impressionable ones and us fans will probably buy the games anyway.

That said; here in the UK Sonic is already known to be very popular. Of course it will be a bit of a different situation elsewhere, but I still think the majority of promotion will be done towards younger gamers on the TV stations they tend to watch.

Some of this promotion can be a bit dodgy though. I remember when Gamestation had a nicely made Sonic statue on display for nearly a month around Unleashed's time - but with the statue missing several important body parts not limited to a leg. This statue was up there for nearly a month and probably gave people the impression Sonic's new game was some kind of sequel to Sonic Labyrinth where Sonic was even more disabled, and not in fact Sonic Unleashed. They've finally replaced it now but apparently they felt the need to keep it up there for so long despite Sonic's injuries; which I guess shows they wanted to at least get the name out...but a bandage wouldn't have hurt.

I can understand not wanting to tip shitloads of revenue into an ad campaign that would drain SEGA financially more than it would help them... but surely they want people to know that their games EXIST, no? o.o

That's basically what I want. I don't even hear about half of SEGA's games until either the last minute or when there is a review of the game on GameInformer.

I can't be the only person who came in this thread hoping for something about a popular AoStH Robotnik meme. =(

I also can't believe I'm the first person in this thread that thought "Promotion? What for!?"

I'm not a person. =(

Flyboy Fox, those adverts would be awesome and just the sense of humour Sonic needs to be more recognised. Like for Unleashed, I can so imagine an interview with Sonic (complete with unfocused wobbly camera) eating a chilli dog or something going "Speed? Yeah I can handle a little speed." *footage of Sonic running fast from game* "And taking out robots." *Sonic bopping robots* "...And taking out robots at speed" *Sonic boosting through tons of robots* "Speed is what I'm all about! I can handle anything!" *footage of Sonic running into a wall and falling over from the Wii version* *cut back to Sonic looking blankly at the camera for a second* "...Yep, anything".

*cue cheesy voiceover and random footage* "MASTER SONIC SPEED BY DAY AND WEREHOG COMBAT BY NIGHT IN SONIC UNLEASHED AVALIABLE NOW RATED E FOR EVERYONE" Etc

...Well, it sounded funny in my head anyway. At the very least it'd be better than their actual western Unleashed marketing plan simply for not focusing on the Werehog as the selling point.

The last time I saw a Sega game heavily advertised was Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games here in the UK, and as we all know that game sold by the bucket full. They certainly need to advertise more, but whether they have the finanicial resources too remains to be seen. Its also a bit of a gamble as well, because advertisement doesn't necessarily mean greater sales. I'm pretty sure MadWorld would have done poorly with or without advertisement due to the fact that the game is targeted at a very niche group of gamers and that it ws on the Wii.

I've never seen even Unleashed advertised, though I don't really watch TV that much. Seeing as how Sonic games haven't been selling well recently, though, they probably don't have the money anymore for such luxuries as advertising. Speaking of which, in hindsight, I'm surprised Unleashed didn't sell better than it did. It's a decent game (an excellent game by my standards, but that's just me). Perhaps the low sales were due to Sonic '06 turning everybody off? Anyway, going off topic, as usual.

Flyboy Fox, those adverts would be awesome and just the sense of humour Sonic needs to be more recognised. Like for Unleashed, I can so imagine an interview with Sonic (complete with unfocused wobbly camera) eating a chilli dog or something going "Speed? Yeah I can handle a little speed." *footage of Sonic running fast from game* "And taking out robots." *Sonic bopping robots* "...And taking out robots at speed" *Sonic boosting through tons of robots* "Speed is what I'm all about! I can handle anything!" *footage of Sonic running into a wall and falling over from the Wii version* *cut back to Sonic looking blankly at the camera for a second* "...Yep, anything".

*cue cheesy voiceover and random footage* "MASTER SONIC SPEED BY DAY AND WEREHOG COMBAT BY NIGHT IN SONIC UNLEASHED AVALIABLE NOW RATED E FOR EVERYONE" Etc

Heheh, I like that. Though instead of running into a wall, I'm picturing the running gag (or should I say, falling gag) of Sonic faceplanting into the ground. "...Yep, anything."

I've never seen even Unleashed advertised, though I don't really watch TV that much. Seeing as how Sonic games haven't been selling well recently, though, they probably don't have the money anymore for such luxuries as advertising. Speaking of which, in hindsight, I'm surprised Unleashed didn't sell better than it did. It's a decent game (an excellent game by my standards, but that's just me). Perhaps the low sales were due to Sonic '06 turning everybody off? Anyway, going off topic, as usual.

It seems the "low sales" are just some kind of 'fact' that people are hearing and running with. I've yet to see them actually proven and have an incredibly hard time believing a Sonic game could have low sales when it's released on so many consoles. (The PS2 and Wii being especially popular ones.)

I know exactly what you mean. If you got it. Flaunt it.

Sega BAD needs to put some damn commercials and Adverstisements

for their games if they hope to sell them.

Especially the Sonic games. Thats what MADE them.

HEY SEGA! GIVE YOUR GAMES SOME

Promotion.png

Or at least offer them tea and something to eat. [/poop]

I wish SEGA could be more public with their franchises rather than always seeming as though they're hiding in a corner waiting for their audience to find them, rather than the other way around.

I know exactly what you mean. If you got it. Flaunt it.

Well yeah, but that costs money. Advertisement is not cheap by any means.

I actually saw a fair bit of Unleashed promotion. TV ads on channels, banners on websites, posters in magazines and stores, even my local mall had all it's elevator doors completely covered in Sonic Unleashed decorations (the image from the boxart, Left door showed Sonic, right door showed Werehog. When the doors closed they looked fantastic), also don't forget the Smart car advertising that was posted on the Blognik (Left side, Right side).

While the elevator doors and Smart car is awesome looking and attracts more attention to people who see it, I suppose it's audience is MUCH more limited than a TV ad or a poster or something similar. I wonder if it would be a good idea for SEGA to put more money into TV ads/posters/banners and those type of things rather than spending money on decorating cars and elevators...could give a wider audience.

I saw a lot of stuff for MadWorld to, but not nearly as much as I saw for Unleashed, and I saw posters and TV ads for Black Knight regularly. I can sometimes still see the odd M&S TV ad...

How ironic then that now SEGA are heavily promoting the new M&S game in the UK, but not the US. =F

Why SEGA doesn't promote their main Sonic games as much as a spin off is beyond me though.