Awoo.

Disney's Zootopia (March 2016)

Hero of Legend

I saw this film today and I absolutely loved it! One of the smartest Disney films in recent memory. To keep things short, the animation was beautiful, the casting was great, the plot had plenty of twists to keep me interested, and the humour was excellent. Seriously, that sloth scene killed me and everyone in the room. XD Just thinking about it now makes me laugh. Oh and the moral of the story was surprisingly strong and very relevant to today. I feel it's especially speaking out to the US police, but I've seen people connect it in other ways, which is both great and quite sad. Nonetheless I highly recommend watching it, as everyone else here does as well, it seems. :P Disney has just been on an amazing streak lately. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Even though I've yet to see the film, I'm not sure I'd say it's trying to "speak out" to anyone in particular. Feels like if you do that, you're making the metaphor and parallels to reality less prominent and basically saying "This X species is obviously meant to represent Y ethnicity/political group!" which to me, feels like unnecessary stretching of the film's more neutral 'neither side is innocent in bigotry' stance as well as 'fear and those who manipulate people to fear each other is the real evil.'

But who knows, again I've yet to see this movie for myself, but I don't think I'm really comfortable in knowing someone will choose to use it as another excuse to hate on certain groups or as a big "Take that!" to fan the flames, while completely forgetting the film's overall message that fear and hate is what all societies could use less of.  

Oh. Well "speak out" wasn't maybe the best term to use then. I guess what I meant to say is "parallels"? It just more or less reminded me of several real world instances is all. 

Oh yeah, Yourmoviesucks gave a lookover at it.

He thinks it's decent. 

I don't know if it has spoilers or not so be warned. It does, so be double warned. 

Saw it. Loved it. The characters, the humor, the animation, the near-perfect handling of the themes, loved it all. Well except maybe the twist villain. Yep, Disney gave us another one. Now it's not the fact it's another twist villain is what's bad, heck, out of all we've said so far, this one's the most better done. It's just kinda predictable if you've been paying attention. But even with that, it's still another Disney film that delivers and highly recommend it.

• Thumbs Up 1

You have to give it to Byron Howard, Rich Moore(Is he now officially working at Disney? I hope so cause he's awesome), Jennifer Lee, Nathan Greno, Don Hall, Stephen Anderson and Jared Bush. This new team that has been around since John Lasseter took over is doing Disney Animation fans proud. Now time for a more old school vibe with Moana by the legendary duo Ron Clements and John Musker.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think there's much I can add to what has already been said, but suffice it to say the movie was great on so many levels, and I'm so glad I watched it. The way it drew me in from the very first moment with its well-developed world, visuals, and writing was very impressive, to say the least. It helps that anthropomorphic animals are one of my favorite tropes ever, and this was an entire movie dedicated to exploring them. I was also very surprised and impressed by the maturity of the film and its themes. And man, the visuals...the character designs...the animation...can't say enough about that, either!! They're still lingering in my mind. There were a few seriously funny moments, too.

Definitely a triumph for Disney. Much, much better than Frozen or Big Hero 6 (haven't watched Wreck-It Ralph).

If I were to make any complaints...hmm. It's sort of hard to quantify, but maybe the film could've "lightened up" a bit? I get that the subject matter was serious, and I appreciate how mature it was, but...I guess it would've been nice if there had been a few more moments of levity and taking the focus off of the racism, I suppose. There were certainly times like that, and overall the movie was great, but if I had to tweak something that would probably be it.

Nepenthe and Monkey Destruction Switch pretty much summed it up for me. This was an excellent movie that not only had things to say about discrimination, it told it well, and that was what I was most worried about when I walked into the theater. I'll definitely need to get the Blu Ray for this.

Speaking of how the city of Zootopia is like a parallel to America, as someone who has never lived there aside a few weeks of vacation every now and then, and has learned about America in history classes overseas, I could relate to Judy in a way. You can tell she's sort of the European that goes to America for a better future. To me, as well as Judy, America (or Zootopia) is seen as this spectacular, huge land where anything is possible, and there's nothing but success around every corner. I remember when I was studying US history, America was seen as THE place to be in a certain time period (can't remember which) and there was this whole idea of the "American dream" and how anything is possible in America. It's got a booming economy, tons of jobs, plenty of diversity, anyone can be anything, seriously! And I'm still seeing that today! I am pumped as hell to go to America, just as Judy was to go to Zootopia. 

So I found that really cool as well. And speaking of locations, I have to say that the environments in this film were jaw-dropping gorgeous. Especially the city of Zootopia itself. Wow! So much action in the background, so many colours! It felt so alive and I loved it. So much eye candy.  

• Thumbs Up 4

There is something I think that's a flaw for this movie, and that's:

Spoiler

Bellweather being the main villain. I sort of saw it coming because Disney has been doing that for a long time.

Well, now I saw Zootopia. My thoughts?

I loved it. I loved every single minute of it. I love how it can be seen by some people as a simple movie about a bunny trying to make it in the world but it also has lots of deeper meanings about racism, discrimination and things of that nature. I laughed, I cried and there was never a dull moment.

If you haven't seen it yet, you are definitely missing out. This film better be an Oscar contender. I loved it more than Kung Fu Panda 3.

• Thumbs Up 2

Saw the movie today with a meet up group and I was honestly blown away. The character designs and animation are are so detailed and appealing. I love how natural the characters look,  their proportions are as if they just taught an animal to walk on their hind legs instead of the typical anthromorphic style of a human shaped body with fur and a animal face. The environments were gorgeous and extremely creative in adapting the various species into a modern world. Judy and Nic had amazing chemistry, half the fun of the movie is just watching the two of the one up each other's hustle and best of all it doesn't end with a cliche romance( though it won't stop the fan fic writers).

Best of all was the story, I came in expecting another country bumpkin in the big city underdog story but a got a surprisingly real reflection of the prejudices we (choose to) ignore in modern times.While I was never brought to water works there are quite a few moment later touched me on a personal level,  I think my favorite line(paraphrasing) was:"if you're only seen as a stereotype why try to be anything else".

Despite some logistical holes in the world and a lack of scaled/feathered creatures(possibly for a sequel) this movie is still amazing and worth all the hype and praise it receives. Easily my favorite 3D Disney movie since Wreck it Ralph, including the Pixar movies.

• Thumbs Up 2

I definitely choked up and shed a tear when Judy tried to apologize to Nick for basically fucking up all of Zootopia and their friendship, only for him to record her lines with the carrot pen and he lets her hug him. "You bunnies....so emotional." And that line isn't said in a condescending or prejudicial manner either. 

But Nick's backstory was what broke my heart. Not necessarily moved to tears like the above scene, but it's a literal gut-punch.

• Thumbs Up 4

Saw the movie on friday and I don't think there's much I can add to what has already been said, but I think this movie was just awesome! The character designs and animation are superb. The characeters are great and Judy and Nick had a amazing chemistry. Just a really great movie and I would love to see a sequel. :)

$73.7 million domestic on opening weekend? $232 mil world wide? Highest grossing Disney Animated Studios film ever? Knocked off The Lorax for best animated film showing for the month of March? Methinks it did pretty well off for itself.

My brother wanna see this so bad.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-zootopia-defeats-deadpool-873000?utm_source=twitter

So Frozen has finally been dethroned, or rather melted, lol.

Good, I'll take furries over seeing that god blasted Snowman and ice queen plastered everywhere, this makes me extremely happy.

Gotta see the film myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2016 at 10:59 AM, pppp said:

Read the review. Her reasoning doesn't even make sense. "This metaphor can't work cause real animals eat others". Lady, do you even know what a metaphor entails? The 2 things only need to share some common aspects, not be exact equivalents. She comes across as ignorant and biased. "It's the social anxieties that make me uneasy". Oh no, a movie that challenges children to use their brains and think about things helping them develop! It must be evil!

That last part sounds less like she's complaining about the movie challenging children to think about things, and more that she realizes and doesn't like that the movie is pointing out real life problems that people have been trying to address.

"Yes, racism and discrimination is bad, but I don't want to see that pointed out in my cartoons."

I will say right now that, despite the predictability of who the real villain was, I'll still give props for the motive being refreshing and downright diabolical.

Bellwether's plot is pretty messed up if you consider her total lack of remorse as to who gets hurt, who loses his/her job for being a predator, and for said predator to be treated like shit by the prey. It's exactly what she wants, and like she said, "Fear is the only thing that works!"

I dunno, it might be this film's agenda of tolerance still ringing in my head or the fact that it feels like it's been a while to have an actual villain not motivated by greed, power, (Turbo from R-I-W andHans from Frozen) or revenge (Callahagen from BH6) but Bellwether just struck me as one of those really cruel and irredeemable Disney villains who just wanted to achieve politically-influenced anarchy and possibly war if she wasn't exposed.

Bellwether and Pre-Reformation Starlight Glimmer should work together. Both terrible examples of activism gone awry. The second I heard her motivation, Starlight Glimmer was the first one I associated her with. Starting to see a trend here.

I love this movie. Taught me many things. They're already planning for a sequel for it and I see a Disney XD series out of this too.

As far as the villain goes--

Spoiler

She wasn't really after anarchy. She was after supplanting large predator rule. All throughout the film and even the clips online, you can see how she feels unappreciated by Mayor Lionheart and constantly tells Judy that small prey have to stick together, because honestly no one else will stick up for them. Like Judy, she was undermined by her job, constantly disrespected (Nick with her hair), and laments how she's nothing more than part of a monolithic demographic, appropriate enough for a sheep ("I think he just wanted the sheep vote.") She is rightfully angry about her second-class status, her lack of individuality as a sheep, and her inability to penetrate the prey ceiling and achieve the appreciation she deserves for all of the work she does within her token job as "Assistant Mayor." However, she doesn't want to do away with the political system; she wants to take what she sees as her and her people's rightful place within the system, which honestly are really empathetic feelings for me as a black person... until she basically pulls a fucking FBI and starts introducing the nighthowler drug into the prey population in order to capitalize on people's fears about those "savages," which is also another side of the coin that relates to what it means to be a minority. Like I said, no character in this film is spared, and that's what makes it so damn brilliant. You can see parts of yourself in everyone- both the prey and the predators. Love this damned movie. <3

^That greatly clarifies things for me regarding the motive. This film really really does require multiple viewings just to get every detail. At least for me, so now I feel shee foolish. 

Spoiler

Still tried to turn Nick savage. Not cool. Not cool at all. 

EDIT: That also makes me think

Spoiler

Kind of wish Lionheart was given his own opinion of Mellwether's agenda coupled with his "I was keeping the savage predators contained so they couldn't harm anyone" interview. He obviously didn't know it was her behind it all and maybe have him say his regrets for mistreating her without realizing he was. But alas, have to maintain that good image to get re-elected I guess. *shrug*