Awoo.

Why people hate sonic

58Joshl

Personally I don't understand I know sonic has his bad points but still he has a lot of good points to him as well.

Sent from my ZTE Kis 3 using Tapatalk

Firstly, welcome to SSMB!

Secondly, Um. Is this it? 

It's just, it's not a lot for an OP and certainly not enough to create a new thread. There's a rule about making one sentence OP, with the mods generally wanting a bit more of a informational OP to set up conversation. One sentence OPs just don't set up a good conversational piece, especially one that's basically, the games have been lackluster for a few years, and have been buggy, and a bunch of various opinions.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's a lot of reasons people might be upset with Sonic. Sonic's had quite a few good games, and I think most people can admit as much. However, he's phenomenally good at frustrating people for one reason or another. Some don't think he lives up to his potential, some think he's never had a great game, some are at odds with the fanbase for good or for ill reasons. Sonic is, in ways, the Spider-Man of video games; a likable and charming character whose tendency to be lumped with bad writers and worse executives leaves much to be desired.

You don't have to necessarily agree with people on their points, but it helps a bit to see things from their point of view. Sonic's a divisive franchise, and you don't have to hate a thing to recognize the flaws it has. If the opposite were true, there'd a lot more than Sonic that we'd have to do without.

• Thumbs Up 6

One of the reasons people hate Sonic has more to do with strictly the games. It has to do with the fanbase itself. Sonic has an extremely divided fanbase with no two groups or even two people wanting the same and having the same opinions and vision about Sonic. This can create huge conflict as just about every game in the series has people who love it and people who hate it. It doesn't help that a lot of the games are really different and have extremely unusual gimmiks that can turn people off.This is a very polarizing fanbase and just about everyone has a different opinion when it comes to Sonic. There are of course people who don't like Sonic at all, and ones who only like one or two games but hate all the others. There are some Sonic fans who only read the comics or watch the TV shows and hate most of the games. 

It really has to do with opinion. There are some games like 06 and Shadow and Rise Of Lyric which are terrible games that have crushing problems, and this can turn people off of Sonic. Most of the other games have people that really like them and really hate them, all for different reasons. 

I'm probably rambling at this point, but there are many many reasons why people hate (and like) Sonic, and it has to do with opinion most of the time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am going to echo what I said in the other topic and request that you work on your OP's in future topics.  We require at least a few sentences worth of explanation when creating a new thread, because we foster a very vocal environment on these forums.  As the creator of a topic, you have the responsibility to present your topics in a meaningful manner so that other posts will hopefully follow suit.  Otherwise, we have the status updates for one-off thoughts and things which generally don't require lengthy paragraphs worth of explanation.

People dislike Sonic for a myriad of reasons. Some people think it's too childish, other people don't like the franchise because it lacks focus, some people simply don't like the folks associated with the franchise, and this in turn damages their perspective of the franchise as whole. There's also the fact that ripping Sonic the Hedgehog a new one is just the popular thing to do.

Because the franchise fell from being a rival to Mario in the market of well-designed mascot platformers to a series that's largely pretty bad and only held up by SEGA being very good at marketing the series to children. Aside from a few anomalies last gen, SEGA stopped giving a shit about Sonic as anything but a guaranteed moneymaker after the Dreamcast died. At this point they don't even bother halfassing the games themselves and outsource them instead. 

It's kind of the opposite situation from the Mega Man series, which failed due to blunders in marketing rather than poor game releases outside of the later PS1 X games and two of the Network timeline games. 

2023 edit: wow this was some embarrassing posturing, what an awful post to go out on 

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 2

Too many reasons. The fact that one person's reason for hating Sonic could be another's reason for loving the franchise only shows how divisive people are on it.

Where the Dork Age started, or if there even is one, is divisive in itself. Most will agree that 2006 and 2014 were bad times, though, but good luck with getting a consensus beyond that.

Why the hell Sonic Adventure 3 cannot be chronicles of Tails and Cosmo?Is it only because Sega Saturn sucked up for SEGA?It fits perfect to Adventure Series as tv show,comic books and video games.SCAE aka Sonic Adventure 3 should be based on third season of Sonic X not Sonic the Hedgehog(1991) Reboot called Sonic Next Gen.

Why the hell Sonic Adventure 3 cannot be chronicles of Tails and Cosmo?Is it only because Sega Saturn sucked up for SEGA?It fits perfect to Adventure Series as tv show,comic books and video games.SCAE aka Sonic Adventure 3 should be based on third season of Sonic X not Sonic the Hedgehog(1991) Reboot called Sonic Next Gen.

• Thumbs Up 5

The Sonic games from 2010 (except Sonic Generations) were kind of bad, in my opinion. I think this is why most people leave or just don't like Sonic.

Now Sonic Boom, which is threated as the worst Sonic game, has a sequel (Fire and Ice), and I'm really surprised why they made a sequel if they know everyone hates it. I think this is the reason why people hate Sonic nowadays.

I think the Sonic franchise would need a new and good game finally.

Sonic Adventure 3 has nothing with Sega Saturn not like Streets of Rage 4 for Sega Saturn,Sega Dreamcast.I mean this.

There's difference between Atari Raptor and Sega Dreamcast 2 with Sonic X.What if Sonic X will be like Kirby:Right Back At Ya in 3D likewise Sonic Boom?

..Nope, still not understanding your point here. I don't understand what a Dreamcast 2 has to do with Adventure 3. I don't understand why it should be like Sonic X Season 3, and I most certainly don't understand how Kirby Right Back at Ya, Sonic Boom, or Streets of Rage 4 has anything to do with Adventure 3.

• Thumbs Up 4

..Nope, still not understanding your point here. I don't understand what a Dreamcast 2 has to do with Adventure 3. I don't understand why it should be like Sonic X Season 3, and I most certainly don't understand how Kirby Right Back at Ya, Sonic Boom, or Streets of Rage 4 has anything to do with Adventure 3.

Maybe he's talking about making a Sonic X comeback like Kirby 3D and having the episode be an adaptation of "Sonic Adventure 3?"

That's my guess.

Maybe he's talking about making a Sonic X comeback like Kirby 3D and having the episode be an adaptation of "Sonic Adventure 3?"

That's my guess.

But what does a Dreamcast 2 or Streets of Rage 4 have to do with that? And why would they make a Adventure 3 adaption that adapts Season 3 of Sonic X?

I seriously don't understand what he means.

• Thumbs Up 3

But what does a Dreamcast 2 or Streets of Rage 4 have to do with that? And why would they make a Adventure 3 adaption that adapts Season 3 of Sonic X?

I seriously don't understand what he means.

Adapt-ception.

Anyway, we should probably go on with the topic at hand. If not, this will turn into a topic discussing the uncanny connection between Sega Dreamcast 2, Sonic X, Sonic Adventure 3 , Streets Of Rage 4 and Kirby 3D.

The reason why many people hate Sonic is simply how much disappointment a person has received over the years. Year, after year you get excited over a new game until you get slapped in the face with another "critically panned failure". Soon, you get so used to the failure that you just assume the character is dead or he sucks.

I enjoy many of his "bad" games so I don't have that sense of hatred but I can see where people are coming from. Why like something that will do nothing but let you down?

Yeah I don't quite understand the point here other than "I want Sonic Adventure 3 based on Sonic X".

Which is a terrible idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe old Sonic Adventure 3 petition from chris knopps group will explain you.I bet ed,edd & eddy plus dexter's laboratory including power puff girls return as 3d cartoon.

Yeah I don't quite understand the point here other than "I want Sonic Adventure 3 based on Sonic X".

Which is a terrible idea.

Maybe old Sonic Adventure 3 petition from chris knopps group will explain you.I bet ed,edd & eddy plus dexter's laboratory including power puff girls return as 3d cartoon.

• Thumbs Up 1

...Still not understanding. Powerpuff Girls is the only cartoon getting a reboot and it's 2D. I don't understand what Sonic Adventure 3 has anything to do with Sonic X and a bunch of classic loved cartoons.

• Thumbs Up 3

While I do joke about Sonic in general (some of those jokes about the franchise being dead), I certainly would not say that I hate him. It's just that the franchise isn't exactly in a good way, and I think that people have perfect justification for pointing that out. Sonic is a beloved character and it pains people to see him fall so low, so of cpurse people aren't going to have the best of thoughts towards the franchise now.

• Thumbs Up 2

They should stop mentioning Sonic Adventure 3.

...But you're the only one who has been mentioning it all this time.

• Thumbs Up 9

You know, I've never really thought about this before, but I think Sonic is so heavily criticized these days because he used to be one of the gaming greats. I mean, he was once more recognizable amongst children than Micky-freaking-Mouse. You know the old saying; the bigger they are the harder they fall. People expect a lot from Sonic, and SEGA continues to avoid meeting expectations, and that's putting it lightly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The answer is simple:

One morning, Sega woke up to do lots of crack. Suddenly, they ran out and decided they needed a way to quickly raise money to buy more. That's when one of them came up with a golden idea:

Sega Rep #1: "Hey, let's make a Shadow game. We can have guns and cussing and aliens and motorcycles and we'll make so much lots money cause Shadow is really popular somewhere and we can use the Heroes Sonic game engine so we don't need to work too hard and save more money and then we can buy more crack. =D"

Sega Rep #2: "That's smart. It will keep Sonic's name good for the next game too. That one will be the best game ever made... C'mon boys and girls, lets go make crack money. ;D"

And so they went and created Shadow the Hedgehog, which sucked but they achieved their goals.

Thus began their horrible addiction. What was destined to become the best game of all time, would become the best game of all time... If you really really REALLY hate yourself.

This powerful addiction crippled Sega and the Sonic brand. Sonic Team were labeled crackheads, Yuji Naka (co-creator of Sonic) left cause they wouldn't pass the sugar. Literally everything Sonic had been destined for was ruined all cause the coke don't choke.

Much like a chronic drug addict, now when people see Sonic, they don't see him for his positives... But rather... They see him as the reflection of his maker's mistakes. Much like how we only see the mistakes of those we refuse to accept.

Maybe one day he will return to his former glory away from the corruption around him, but for now...

*Stares at Sonic Boom Fire & Ice*

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

• Thumbs Up 1