Awoo.

Ok I think I'm going mad - I actually like Sonic 06

~G~

Chill, I was joking around with that last line.

I was referring to the paragraph before it, you said the game wasn't good, and yes while you do have your opinion on that, it sounded like you were saying that as if it were fact. The game has many good points, and is in no way comparable with the likes of Superman 64 and ET.

Edited by Inferno

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edge.

• Sega DogTagz

• Ferno

• ~G~

Top Posters In This Topic

I was referring to the paragraph before it, you said the game wasn't good, and yes while you do have your opinion on that, it sounded like you were saying that as if it were fact. The game has many good points, and is in no way comparable with the likes of Superman 64 and ET.

Well obviously it's my opinion if I said it. Heaven forbid someone forgets to write "IMO". Also it seemed you were quite clearly referring to my last line because the points you bring up are me (jokingly) calling him crazy and saying the game sucks. Which are the exact words from my last line.

Edited by speedfreak

Well obviously it's my opinion if I said it. Heaven forbid some forgets to write "IMO". Also it seemed you were quite clearly referring to my last line because the points you bring up are me (jokingly) calling him crazy and saying the game sucks. Which are the exact words from my last line.

To bring up the last sentence in the second paragraph, and I'm paraphrasing, your saying "Sonic '06 could've been good, but it's not." No where did you say or hint to it being your own opinion, and obviously, with a fanbase like this, you have to sprinkle a few "IMO's" here and there every once in a while.

And yes, while I was mainly referring to the second paragraph, and the post as a whole, I admit to using used the 'last line' as the part to spring off of, because joke or not, I wanted to respond to the snarky comment with another one. ;)

-Done.

In all fairness though, sometimes a game is just bad. I'll agree with that. It might have had good ideas in it, and you see the good game under all the bugs and poor gameplay, but in the end some things are just bad.

Like someone eating grass and calling it an acquired taste, while the whole world thinks you're crazy and wanna be a cow.

^ OOPS, you beat me Inferno. I guess my post looks stupid now. I defend Chronicles even though most people hate it. :P

Edited by Badnikz

I think saying "in my opinion" is redundant and I never liked the phrase anyway.

Do I have to add "IMO" to whenever I say things like, "iced tea is awesome!"? If not, then there's no reason I have to do it to the extreme opposite. I mean, who else's opinion could it be? (this sounds familiar, hmm) People shouldn't have to be antagonistic about their views but there's no reason they must sugarcoat them. I sure as hell don't, and I still like to think that I'm pretty friendly with people for the most part. Views are views, they don't necessarily have to affect our interactions with others.

Edited by Jake

No where did you say or hint to it being your own opinion,
It's implied. It's implied in exactly the same way as me saying "S3&K is a good game".

But not one single person is going to get upset over me saying it like that, and start complaining about how I'm stating it as a fact and that it's just my opinion and blah-de-blah bullshit.

I'm sick of seeing people being bitched at for stating a negative opinion without plastering "IMO"s throughout their post. There's no goddamn reason for it.

I'm sick of seeing people being bitched at for stating a negative opinion without plastering "IMO"s throughout their post. There's no goddamn reason for it.

Meh, That's just the downfall of internet conversation in general. You cant really blame someone for not wanting to make blanket assumptions about what someone else is saying. You'd only be putting words in someone else's mouth. Just throwing in an IMO every now and then is a small price to pay against having someone take offense to something you seemingly offered up as a fact.

Meh, That's just the downfall of internet conversation in general. You cant really blame someone for not wanting to make blanket assumptions about what someone else is saying. You'd only be putting words in someone else's mouth. Just throwing in an IMO every now and then is a small price to pay against having someone take offense to something you seemingly offered up as a fact.

I agree. This also adds up to the fact that some people take the internet so seriously this day and age.

It's not assuming or putting words in other people's mouths, so much as basic reading comprehension. Let's take "Sonic sucks" for example. "Sonic" is the topic, "sucks" is the verb. "Sucks" means to be of horribly low quality. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ta da. Instant differentiation between fact and opinion. Nobody needs to hold anybody by the hand for anything if they keep this in mind.

Guys need to take a chill pill. Don't worry! Bill Murray!

It's not assuming or putting words in other people's mouths, so much as basic reading comprehension. Let's take "Sonic sucks" for example. "Sonic" is the topic, "sucks" is the verb. "Sucks" means to be of horribly low quality. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ta da. Instant differentiation between fact and opinion. Nobody needs to hold anybody by the hand for anything if they keep this in mind.

Guys need to take a chill pill. Don't worry! Bill Murray!

There's also a difference between Reading Comprehension and Fighting words. Whereas "Sonic Sucks" is more of an attack, and "I think Sonic Sucks" is much more defined even though the two phrases mean the exact same thing.

But your right, this is not the place for this cause I am way off topic now.

------------------

I don't think 06 was a bad game. It was just grossly under-developed, which I simply do not tolerate in the grand scheme of things. Its not okay to put a game that unfinished onto the market. Especially when they know that fan base will buy it anyway (even though that was probably the main incentive).

I actually like Eggman's design for the game. I heard one of the taglines were "What if Sonic was real?" or something like that. If it was they nailed it with Eggman.

Really? I couldn't understand it at all. He's meant to be a fat man, but his bulk was on the top half of his body! XD That wasn't very realistic to me at all, if that was what they were going for.

In my opinion, The hate for this game is overrated, SA1 is just as buggy, not to mention it was unfinished just like '06. *Puts up flame shield*

This was what I was saying in my review of the game some years back. SA1 gets away with it because it was a brand new direction for the series, and successfully took Sonic into 3D (ignore the other characters for a second). In Sonic 06, seven years on, you had a game that pretty much followed the same formula as SA1 to the letter - even to the point that it borrowed boss and stage ideas from it - and despite technological advances since 1999 still ended up being buggy as hell. That, and SA1's glitches were fun/interesting rather than "let's fall through the floor"/"let's not have you complete this level today".

Another major difference was that SA1 benefitted from awesome level design and wonderful set pieces (Windy Valley, Speed Highway, Final Egg...). Sonic 2006 had nothing of the sort, unfortunately. Every stage was forgettable, boring and 'tasteless'. It was less of a Sonic game and more of a "Real Life featuring Sonic the Hedgehog".

Going off on a tangent somewhat, that's something that I'd probably like to see most in a future Sonic game. Locations that fit the franchise. Sonic Unleashed, for it's great character design/renders, slapped the hedgehog in a world that really didn't suit him - even the humans were out of place (although Wentos is awesome). Request: Mega Drive-style 'Mobius' plox. Imagination wins my heart. :3

Well good to see I'm not the only one who found some enjoyment from it :P

I should perhaps point out, to anyone who is like "WTF?" - I can completely understand how a lot of people won't like the game at all.

-There are some games where I sit there and think "Why do people hate this so much?" or "How the hell is this game getting 9/10s?"-(Prototype)

But with Sonic 2006 I'm more like: "I am loving the ride, (even if I have to wait at the loading station every few minutes) and I think this is better than other modern Sonic titles - but I can completely see why people won't like it."

I also think it helps (for me) because I'm not an absolutely massive Sonic fan or fanboy. I have always liked Sonic, more than Mario and other flagship mascots. But I have never been one who needs to watch all the cartoons or get everything with Sonic on it.

I even dislike some of the games that others really like - like Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Chronicles, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Black Knight.

My point is that some of the little things don't bother me as much - like the whole "Eggman looks wrong" thing. He looks a similar shape to the original games, just a bit more stretched and (I guess) more 'realistic'.

I also don't have a huge problem with the beastiality thing. It's weird, but I can live with it - I didn't freak out like some people did originally.

My biggest gripes with the game are;

-The Loading times and where they are. There are some parts where you have to talk to someone, you press A to talk and then the game loads. You then see the person utter one small sentence and then more loading. That's very bad design/programming.

- Tails. I like Tails, always have. But in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic 2006 they ruined the character by making him shit. Since when did he go from being Sonic's little buddy, who ran along side him and carried him to higher grounds, into a cripple that needs to ride in a mech (SA2) or suddenly can't run properly and needs to throw boxes of rings at enemies? (Which make the same sound as though you've just been hit - so if you do get hit as you throw rings you don't always realise it).

- Blaze. I just don't like her.

That's about it. I liked the story and other characters fine.

One other thing that I would have liked to seen change and I want to change for future games is the setting. Like some of you have said - have it set on Mobius. Get rid of the human NPCs and the human world.

To me, the original MegaDrive games was all about Sonic's animal world, with animal friends getting invaded by Robotnik (a human).

Not Robotnik is a bit insane and tries to take over the (human) world and the human police/armies can't seem to stop him (or can't even be bothered) - but just so happens that a few giant woodland creatures with special powers can stop him. That to me isn't 'Sonic'.

I wasn't too bothered by it in SA 1, 2 and 2006 - but I think it's about time we went back to the more fun and exciting original Sonic settings.

Anyway, it's good to see that some people can agree with me on liking the game - or at least finding some moments of enjoyment. :)

It was the opposite with me, I got it when I first got my Xbox 360 Christmas 2006 along with Gears of War and Oblivion as well, and I was on an all time high with excitement as I'd been wanting the console so badly since it came out a year earlier.

Plus, I had been so freakin' excited for this game as well so all that combined made me think it was awesome when I first played it, and I actually saw the game through to the end, but about a month after completing it and playing it again, I realised how foolish I had been. The game is horrendous for reasons I need not state as they've probably been said a million times on this board alone.

The fact Elise is the most one dimensional character to ever grace a Sonic game doesn't help matters, nor does her disturbing thing for Sonic either. :unsure:

Edited by Leon K Fox

Last christmas, I asked for a Playstation 3 and a three games: Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 2006, and Soul Caliber 4 (proving I have more hardcore interests as well). I played Unleashed first, and was loving on it for almost the entire first day of owning the system. I gave Sonic 2006 a wary shot, and found myself enjoying it. I got as far as the Egg Cerberus battle before going back to Unleashed. I played that game most all of the next day, but the day after that I switched to 2006.

Suddenly, I just couldn't put the game down. It was just so much fun, and almost exactly like the Sonic Adventure series that I love. I must have spent at least two days on the game without ever thinking of picking up Sonic Unleashed again. I beat Sonic 2006, a satisfyingly lengthy accomplishment I must say. At this point, I had to go back to Unleashed. At this point, I began to realize how much worse Sonic's newest game really was. By the time I got to the absolutely horrid final boss (even worse than solaris), I was downright upset at the game. My feelings haven't changed since then.

I still enjoy Sonic 2006 a lot. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say I love the game. It's my third favorite 3D Sonic title, behind Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. The music is mostly great, I'm one of the few who still like the plot and Sonic X Elise, and the gameplay for almost every character was fun. I've spent hours just traveling around the hub world and collecting all of the silver medals, as well as completing every optional mission as Sonic and Shadow. Still working on getting as S ranks, and collecting more gold medals even though I know I won't unlock anything.

But there is quite a bit of shit in the mix as well. Most noticably, Amy Rose, Knuckles, and Rouge's climbing. Amy drags the game down quit a bit, Knuckles is a mess though you mercifully don't have to play as him much, and Rouge would be fun except she has a nasty tendency of getting stuck to walls. Also, Shadow's buggy vehicle sucks; the rest are fun though. Throw in some deaths that are completely unfair (springs & ramps can throw you to your death if you don't know what you're doing) and I can see why some people just don't like the game.

Plus, the game really should have been finished. I love the game as it is (and perhapes I really shouldn't), but it still could have been my favorite 3D Sonic game ever if they had only worked on taking out the bugs and adding in unlockable content. Wheres mah Supah Sonic?!

Suddenly, I just couldn't put the game down. It was just so much fun, and almost exactly like the Sonic Adventure series that I love. I must have spent at least two days on the game without ever thinking of picking up Sonic Unleashed again. I beat Sonic 2006, a satisfyingly lengthy accomplishment I must say. At this point, I had to go back to Unleashed. At this point, I began to realize how much worse Sonic's newest game really was. By the time I got to the absolutely horrid final boss (even worse than solaris), I was downright upset at the game. My feelings haven't changed since then.

Dark Gaia was actually the only boss in Sonic Unleashed that I liked. :P I like all of the Sonic final bosses, sometimes just because they're the final boss. I mean, they're the final boss. That alone makes them good in my eyes. XP

But anyway, my story is kind of similar. I got both 2006 and the Wii version of Unleashed in Christmas 2008. My brother and I decided that I would play 2006 first and he would play Unleashed first, and then we'd switch, but I opened Unleashed on the eve, so I tried that out first. It was...OK. Then I got 2006 on the 25th, and when I tried that, I liked it a lot better. When I finally finished 2006 and swapped games with my brother, I realized just how much I wasn't fond of the Wii Unleashed. I got the 360 version of Unleashed about a month and a half later, and although I liked it much better, it still didn't compare to 2006. But I still get enjoyment out of Unleashed, even though it's not really one of my favorite games. I replayed 2006 recently (I'm currently 100%ing it), and I still found it as fun as ever.

For the record, my brother liked the Wii Unleashed better than I did, but he also likes 2006 better. He's only played two stages of the 360 version, though, for some invalid reason. DX

Edited by Reading

Really? I couldn't understand it at all. He's meant to be a fat man, but his bulk was on the top half of his body! XD That wasn't very realistic to me at all, if that was what they were going for.

Eh, they just shifted Eggys bulk around to the point where he could actually stand on the power of his own legs. His still quite a big boy, but they presented his girth in a more hearty fashion than the obesity that his cartoon-ish side often displays. He just surrendered some of the Keg to push a little fat into other parts of his body. I thought that was a ton more realistic than keeping his pot belly & pencil legs.

Well he just wouldn't be "Eggman" if he didn't look a bit like an egg :P