Awoo.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake "is this the real life..."

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

It’s only on PS4 and the digital sales alone are gonna pass KH3 and FFXV, which were multi-plat. Jeezus

Not surprising. For one thing, it's Final Fantasy VII, and secondly, it feels like the most complete of these three games upon launch (ironically enough).

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one that thinks they shot their load a bit too early with having a massive Sephiroth final boss with One Winged Angel and an Advent Children styled fight sequences all in part 1? Even including the final moment where Cloud is drifting towards Sephiroth in that strange area. Like, I hope they didn’t cash in that “hype” on this, and the future games won’t have as “climatic” final battles. Idk, like I know we’ll have Sephiroth again in part 3, but I can’t help but think it won’t be as epic “this is it” feeling when we’ve had a big epic final boss Sephiroth fight now. Maybe I’m thinking too into it and it’s not a worry to have.

20 minutes ago, KHCast said:
  Hide contents

Am I the only one that thinks they shot their load a bit too early with having a massive Sephiroth final boss with One Winged Angel and an Advent Children styled fight sequences all in part 1? Even including the final moment where Cloud is drifting towards Sephiroth in that strange area. Like, I hope they didn’t cash in that “hype” on this, and the future games won’t have as “climatic” final battles. Idk, like I know we’ll have Sephiroth again in part 3, but I can’t help but think it won’t be as epic “this is it” feeling when we’ve had a big epic final boss Sephiroth fight now. Maybe I’m thinking too into it and it’s not a worry to have.

Spoiler

While I do feel like they blew their load a bit early, I also think they did that for a reason that's not just "gotta end the game in a bombastic way and pull Sephiroth nostalgia strings". I do hope part 2 ending isn't a Sephiroth fight (if the project is gonna last more than 2 parts ofc), that'd be dumb.

Also nothing is gonna be more climactic than a potential 30-minute Supernova attack in the highest fidelity possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, KHCast said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

When I consider the spectacle of the original fight this is kind of low key, it didn't bother me that much. I wish we got a more grounded ending just because I think it would have suited this game more but I'm not worried about Square in terms of ramping up spectacle. They are by far the kings of spectacle in action games.  

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Bobnik said:
  Hide contents

While I do feel like they blew their load a bit early, I also think they did that for a reason that's not just "gotta end the game in a bombastic way and pull Sephiroth nostalgia strings". I do hope part 2 ending isn't a Sephiroth fight (if the project is gonna last more than 2 parts ofc), that'd be dumb.

Also nothing is gonna be more climactic than a potential 30-minute Supernova attack in the highest fidelity possible.

I could see it maybe being that Dragon that was at the Temple of the Ancients. Or maybe Ultimate Weapon. If they’re doing something from the classic vs something new anyway.

So the story might not drastically change? Uhh, so then what was your ending implying Square, Nomura, Kitase? The statement feels like it contradicts the theme and point the ending of part 1 was telling us, about how fate isn’t written. They literally used the whispers as a proxy for the original FF7 story fans, and had you kill them, opening up the possibilities going forward, but they’re saying the story will more or less remain how we remember? Am I missing something lol?

I'm guessing he means the broad strokes are quite similar to the original, while the big difference can be found in the smaller details.  Either way, it's an odd thing to say considering the kinda heavy handed (and imo unnecessary) messaging. 

38 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Reveal hidden contents

So the story might not drastically change? Uhh, so then what was your ending implying Square, Nomura, Kitase? The statement feels like it contradicts the theme and point the ending of part 1 was telling us, about how fate isn’t written. They literally used the whispers as a proxy for the original FF7 story fans, and had you kill them, opening up the possibilities going forward, but they’re saying the story will more or less remain how we remember? Am I missing something lol?

Spoiler

Combined with another piece of information that the Ultimania guide revelaed, namely that the three Whispers you fight at the end are essentially Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo from Advent Children, i've formulated the theory that while retelling the original story more or less, this remake project will essentially abridge the rest of the compilation into one single narrative, especially since BF and CC are canon in some capacity (with DoC heavily rumored in-universe to be as well). So i'm expecting Genesis to show up at some point, unfortunately.

What i'm also interpreting from what Kitase has said combined with the ending is that events and movement will be just rearranged from how it happened originally, for example. after Junon, the ship may take a detour and have the team end up in Rocket Town earlier than normal, then proceeding from there to Nibelheim, Cosmo Canyon, Gongaga and Gold Saucer. Not a big divergence in itself, but enough to warrant the whole "we changed the course of fate" smc speech they pulled in chapter 18. And that's assuming all the Whispers are dead and not just the ones that roamed around Midgar.

Personally, the only worry i have is that they're gonna use this excuse to not have Cait Sith playable and be without the mooglebot just as a glorified shoulder pet for Red XIII or something.

6 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Hide contents

Combined with another piece of information that the Ultimania guide revelaed, namely that the three Whispers you fight at the end are essentially Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo from Advent Children, i've formulated the theory that while retelling the original story more or less, this remake project will essentially abridge the rest of the compilation into one single narrative, especially since BF and CC are canon in some capacity (with DoC heavily rumored in-universe to be as well). So i'm expecting Genesis to show up at some point, unfortunately.

What i'm also interpreting from what Kitase has said combined with the ending is that events and movement will be just rearranged from how it happened originally, for example. after Junon, the ship may take a detour and have the team end up in Rocket Town earlier than normal, then proceeding from there to Nibelheim, Cosmo Canyon, Gongaga and Gold Saucer. Not a big divergence in itself, but enough to warrant the whole "we changed the course of fate" smc speech they pulled in chapter 18. And that's assuming all the Whispers are dead and not just the ones that roamed around Midgar.

Personally, the only worry i have is that they're gonna use this excuse to not have Cait Sith playable and be without the mooglebot just as a glorified shoulder pet for Red XIII or something.

Costa Del Sol had some of the best moments, so that better not be the case lol. Hojo with his bikini babes just chillin, Heideggar blowing a gasket and throwing one of his own men, Red XIII playing volleyball with some kids. Was also one of my favorite locales in the game by far. 

Also, I wonder if this “change of fate” will alter Yuffie’s role. She might be a mandatory character now instead of a optional, especially with the whole Wutai shit going on in the plot now. Or maybe, she’ll be a anti-hero type that doesn’t join the group as early on as you could get her before.

I'm still willing to bet that this going to lead up to

Spoiler

much more of a "happy ending"

especially since in the end, we see that

Spoiler

time machinations have already prevented the deaths of a few characters.

So honestly,  how much Kitase considers a "drastic" change, might all just be a matter of perspective. 

Kitase has been notorious in the past for oversimplifying or inflating stuff, so take his words for now for what you deem worth.

18 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Reveal hidden contents

Costa Del Sol had some of the best moments, so that better not be the case lol. Hojo with his bikini babes just chillin, Heideggar blowing a gasket and throwing one of his own men, Red XIII playing volleyball with some kids. Was also one of my favorite locales in the game by far. 

Also, I wonder if this “change of fate” will alter Yuffie’s role. She might be a mandatory character now instead of a optional, especially with the whole Wutai shit going on in the plot now. Or maybe, she’ll be a anti-hero type that doesn’t join the group as early on as you could get her before.

Spoiler

I'm pretty confident Yuffie and Vincent will be integrated to be mandatory. Pacing-wise, Yuffie fits perfectly in the section where the party exits the mines and has to go to Junon since it's not too long after what the beginning of Part 2 will be and Red XIII being playable will of course be the main attraction at the beginning. Both of them also have very high plot-relevancy, with Yuffie now having more than ever with Shinra seemingly wanting to go at war against Wutai once more.

Unfortunately, even if the team already has a lot of assets to use cutting their work time and costs significantly, i'm afraid that between the actual current epidemic and the economy in jeopardy, part 2 is still gonna take a while, assuming it will come out. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but if things continue on this path there may be extremes for companies like Square to go bankrupt or at the very least restructure to have significantly less personnell and ambitions.

• 9 months later...

Ok, so I never finished the original FF 7, but I'm gonna guess Intergrade wasn't a part of the original game.

1 minute ago, Sonictrainer said:

Ok, so I never finished the original FF 7, but I'm gonna guess Intergrade wasn't a part of the original game.

No, it's a minor DLC/expansion that'll take place between Chapter 8 and Chapter 13 I think (The chapters where Cloud goes missing from Avalanche) focusing on Yuffie.

The full situation is Final Fantasy 7 Remake is getting a PS5 port, Intergrade is a expansion for it.

PS4 users get a free upgrade to the PS5 edition, and you can then buy the expansion from there. Here's the trailer of the DLC + enhancements:

Two new mobile games have surfaced.

So, that "Ever Crisis" trademark has finally reached its culmination.

Welp, I guess this is what KH Union Cross bit the dust for.

The single player game looks neat, a fun time waster on mobile. A battle royale on mobile....eh no thanks.

Pricing is out - if you're buying the PS5 version directly, it's £70/$70 for the regular edition, and £85/$90 for the digital deluxe edition, Yuffie's episode comes with both editions.

You can get the PS4 version for £60 right now, and that gives you a free upgrade to the PS5 version without Yuffie, so you'll likely be able to buy Yuffie's episode for around £20/30.

So the Yuffie episode is available for PS4 as well? Or only PS5?

Also I find it kinda weird a multi part remake is getting individual DLC for each part, but that’s just me 

Also I just can’t with that BR shit. That just takes the piss 

I wanted a PS5 version to smooth out the technical issues so I'm glad to see it. Hopefully they cut down on the loading times/meandering the game does. Kind of a shame the Yuffie stuff costs extra but I'll still bite. 

Don't care about the mobile games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ever Crisis is ironically exactly what I wanted - a hopefully updated version of FF7 and the compilation's story. 

Say what you want on FF7R, but I still hate the fact that

Spoiler

you need to basically still play the original to get the original's story. However bold Nomura's decision was with FF7R's ending, it sucks if you just wanted a updated game with FF7's story with some expansion.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Ever Crisis is ironically exactly what I wanted - a hopefully updated version of FF7 and the compilation's story. 

Hide contents

you need to basically still play the original to get the original's story. However bold Nomura's decision was with FF7R's ending, it sucks if you just wanted a updated game with FF7's story with some expansion.

Not just that. You arguably

Spoiler

need to play the original and Crisis Core to get what's going on the narrative of the remake itself at points and to figure out why some of the changes are so drastic in the sense of the narrative. Key scenes like Zack surviving come to mind.

And if Weiss showing up in the trailer is anything to go by

Spoiler

the DIrge of Cerberus bits will become crucial as well.

I can't help but wonder if Ever Crisis was made as a response to a lot criticism that the FF7 remake got, especially from newcomers.

31 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So the Yuffie episode is available for PS4 as well? Or only PS5?

Apparently it's PS5 exclusive. :U

We’re getting Advent Children stuff in this at some point aren’t we? Lol

also does this imply 

Spoiler

Yuffie was in Midgar before Cloud and the gang left it in the OG FF7? The whispers aren’t messing with her, so that implies they’re following the expectations of the timeline

@Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon Well fuck. I MIGHT have a PS5 by June so no worries for me there, but worst comes to worst, I wait until Christmas I guess 

17 minutes ago, KHCast said:

We’re getting Advent Children stuff in this at some point aren’t we? Lol

also does this imply 

Reveal hidden contents

Yuffie was in Midgar before Cloud and the gang left it in the OG FF7? The whispers aren’t messing with her, so that implies they’re following the expectations of the timeline

@Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon Well fuck. I MIGHT have a PS5 by June so no worries for me there, but worst comes to worst, I wait until Christmas I guess 

Regarding Yuffie, apparently in the original game, she was supposed to be a 25 year-old ex-SOLDIER bounty hunter who was stalking Cloud, in search of both him and Sephiroth, and she would have been there from the start before joining the party. But obviously that didn't happen for developmental reasons. Ultimately she was made into an optional character.

My guess is that this is sort of going back to her roots in the sense that she was supposed to be there from the start.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Hide contents

This, exactly this. Ever Crisis looks to be what I wanted them to do in the first place. I love the updated Chibi visuals, and it's interesting that they appear to have used assets from the Remake and repurposed them for proper turn based battles.

I'm actually only just currently making my way through FFVII: Remake (finally), but am more than aware of the 'controversy' that surrounds the story.

Personally speaking - I don't have as much love for FFVII as most do anyway, FFVIII was my entry into JRPG's as a teen followed by IX and going back to the SNES games after. I tried to play FFVII 3 times, and always only got a far as the chocobo farm after Midgar before I got bored (so you can imagine how "thrilled" I was that the remake was just the Midgar section lol). 

However, during the (continuing) pandemic, last year I finally sat down and purchased the 'classic' version on PS4 to give it one more shot before Remake came out. Made it all the way through this time, and yeah it was ok, a good 7/10 (and the ending is terrible). Whilst I'll never personally get the hype as that has just alluded me now - I sort of appreciate it's status with fans. Clearly the game had a solid basis for world building with the amount of spinoffs into other games and a film (which sort of helped clear up the terrible ending). Plus Square clearly know how to milk a single game entry, which it's doing again here.

Anyway, my point is I'm glad I now played it considering...

Spoiler

...what they did in Remake. My plan originally was that since I never finished FFVII for Remake would be my gateway into liking FFVII. But boy, as mentioned you REALLY need to play the original FFVII first! 

As I said, I'm still making my way through... but I think I would have been lost or confused amidst the self references and changes made that I've seen so far.

So yeah... I agree that maybe Ever Crisis is a response for those that complained about Remake? Or maybe it was always planned because of how FFVII: Remake is positioned in terms of the overall story? ...Therefore it gives entry level gamers to FFVII an overview of the original events first.

It's a doubled edged sword. I understand it's purpose, but it's also annoying this exists as something I wanted Remake to be in the first place.

No doubt these mobile games will release on Consoles eventually too. The Battle Royale is clearly just a cash grab for an ever expanding genre (and defo not for me), whilst Ever Crisis I can see as being a good one to hit the Switch - it's the only way that console will see a FFVII "remake" in any case.  

I'll try to separate my reaction into the 3 separate things that were announced and I'll start with Intergrade:
- FF7R Intergrade - I am glad they're making the game run at better quality and framerate for PS5s and I'm also relieved that the upgrade (not counting Yuffie stuff) is free. I'm not happy that, if you buy it through PSN Store, you pay 70 dollars even if it includes said DLC. Yuffie looks pretty great The fact that this also has a date of June 10th and still no mention of any other platforms could mean one of 3 things:
1) The best case scenario - the Intergrade version also releases on both Xbox and PC at the same date, but because of the 1-year deal not ending till April 10th, they weren't allowed to announce it
2) The somewhat worse case scenario - they're releasing the ordinary game on other platforms in April and then ask 20 additional dollars for Episode Yuffie in June. I'm putting it under "somewhat worse" because it'd make people on other platforms pay for the complete package 80 dollars.
3) The worst case scenario - both Xbox and PC aren't getting the game till 2022, and this is what I'm afraid of, but also expecting to happen, and if this one is true, then it's outright frustrating. What was the point of making this a 1-year exclusivity deal if the game's gonna be stuck to one "platform" for much more than that?
But anyway, seeing the game run at 60 and look as good as it does is great, and I'm glad devs are giving a choice between quality and performance mode.

Spoiler

Seeing dumbass Weiss from Dirge of Cerberus at the end is hilarious, I cackled

- FF7 The First Soldier - y'know, we're already living in a clown world that stabs people pretty regularly in the back, so I should be desensitized to these kinds of things. Yet Square Enix still somehow manages to do that in probably the most laughable and painful way I've ever experienced. I don't-- who is this for? Like, who in the right mind would unironically go "Yeah, FF7 is cool, but you know what it's missing? Battle Royale"? I just-- yeah I don't have words for this, this is the most insane I've seen Square go.

- FF7 Ever Crisis - this announcement also made me laugh, but mostly because it's what several people wanted as a remake. I can't say I'm one of those people and I myself am happy the main FF7R project isn't that, but I'm also glad people got their wish as well... with a monkey paw that is "on iOS/Android". I will say, it looks pretty good and the fact that they're putting the whole Compilation, including Before Crisis, which is impossible to obtain in any way, means it'll be easier to actually follow it. Granted, it's still FF7 Compilation, which is very hit and miss, but yeah.

Overall just give me gackt so I can turn into moss.

Yeah looking at the price of this port on top of the fact it’s getting a deluxe edition...yeah thank christ there’s a free upgrade, cause I wouldn’t buy PART 1 if a multi-part series twice for full price. If there wasn’t a free upgrade available, I think I’d just wait for the whole project to get an all in one package