Badnik Mechanic

Final Fantasy 7 Remake "is this the real life..."

I doubt KH3 will take three years when it's already at a relatively advanced point in development. I do, however, see FF7R in 2017. It makes sense due to the timing.

I totally predicted something like this happening lol. A bit disappointing, though if XV is successful and praised for its gameplay, I guess I won't mind too much FF7 using that style. That or Lightning Returns gameplay style, which kinda mixed both the traditional and action styles.

Oh man I can already here the fan outcry for this. But to be honest i'd be pretty happy about this if this turns out to be true, I vastly prefer ARPG's to turn based ones so this would only make me more excited. One thing I am curious about though is if they will let you play as other party members like tifa and barret (and jesus please let me play as vincent) since if Kingdom hearts (to some extent) and FFXV are anything to go by we probably won't :(

It's not that surprising. Action RPG's have become the norm these days out of all RPG's. Even with the success of Bravely Default, that was only on a handheld, so I'm guessing Square's mentality with turn based RPG's is that there only good for handhelds.

Personally I like both turn based and action, so I don't really mind, though I wish there were more turn based RPG's these days.

Considering how in the original game the story forced you to play different characters at some point, i doubt it will be a XV-esque situation where you control only Cloud for the whole game.
I guess we have to wait and see if they'll say or show anything more at TGS.

It's not confirmed to be real-time/action-based. Keep in mind that Nomura said it would still be recognizable. Making it like XV would not accomplish that. Drastic changes could mean anything at this stage, so I think we should wait and see.

Dramatic changes, maybe, but I honestly don't think they'll switch it over to action-based. That's a bit too dramatic, really.

It's not confirmed to be real-time/action-based. Keep in mind that Nomura said it would still be recognizable. Making it like XV would not accomplish that. Drastic changes could mean anything at this stage, so I think we should wait and see.

And there's this. If they change anything its changing the materia system a bit so it works differently, but is still notable. Making it action-based will literally make it unrecognisable.

There are other changes they can make. Maybe they'll incorporate party rotation like in FFX. Maybe they'll change it so even when limit activates, you can do regular attacks. Maybe they'll incorporate timed attacks. There are plenty of possibilities.

VII-R doesn't run on Luminous.

At E3 2015 Square Enix finally confirmed the development of a Final Fantasy VII remake, bringing some fresh air not only to the graphics, but also to the gameplay. Witnessing the visual beauty of Final Fantasy XV, fans may wonder which graphics engine will be used for the VII remake.

During an interview at Gamescom, we asked Final Fantasy XV Director Hajime Tabata if the Luminous engine might be used for the remake.

Tabata replied: “Final Fantasy VII (Remake) is not planned to be made with that.”

Kingdom Hearts 3 was the last game, which dropped the Luminous Engine in favor of Unreal Engine 4 in 2014.

The Luminous graphics engine is in development at Square Enix and was shown to the public for the first time in 2011. It now powers Final Fantasy XV and will be enhanced alongside the game development.

Read more details about the graphics engine in our upcoming interview with Tabata, which will be released later this week.

Final Fantasy XV is the only Square game currently running on Luminous and it's fucking suffering for it. With poor performance in Episode Duscae and KH3 switching to UE4 because of performance issues, and it's too late for them to switch on XV so idek.

VII-R doesn't run on Luminous.

Final Fantasy XV is the only Square game currently running on Luminous and it's fucking suffering for it. With poor performance in Episode Duscae and KH3 switching to UE4 because of performance issues, and it's too late for them to switch on XV so idek.

From how I felt this remake aught to function,  I always believed in the back of my mind that ultimately the FFVII remake wouldn't resort to using the Luminous engine,  especially with Square's apparent, recent boost in competency these days.

So, it's confirmed to be action based but unlike in XV you can switch between the character you play as. That's good.

Can't wait to see how characters like Red XIII or Cait Sith will work with this combat system.

A bit bummed of hearing Steve Burton again as Cloud and not a fan of Wedge's voice, but so far the VA seems fine. We'll see how this goes.

My god, Steve Burton's finally got a voice director that lets him show Cloud's full personality (Advent Children Complete Edition aside to an extent)!

Hmmm, re-watching that trailer, it seems that at some point you'll be able to swap which character you play as while the other characters are A.I. controlled.

Still early but gameplay already. Based Nomura. Hopefully they don't drag him and the team to prop up another FFXIII-type disaster.

I'm ecstatic at the revamped combat as well, as I'm more of an action-y person. The standard ATB was kind of messy, making it hard to properly line up turns (FFX had the right idea with proper turns and a visible turn queue bar) so the changes will be welcome.

So, it's confirmed to be action based but unlike in XV you can switch between the character you play as. That's good.

Can't wait to see how characters like Red XIII or Cait Sith will work with this combat system.

A bit bummed of hearing Steve Burton again as Cloud and not a fan of Wedge's voice, but so far the VA seems fine. We'll see how this goes.

I'm meh on it being action-based, but god damn I'm happy you can switch characters. Worst part about XV, especially since you COULD switch characters in earlier versions of the game.

Wanna bet they'll cut the number of playable characters down, though? Cait Sith and Red XIII are prime examples of characters to cut out. They've had so many problems with Red XIII in the past and Cait Sith's doll I wouldn't be surprised. Or maybe they'll act as "guest" party members and aren't actually playable.

"They wouldn't do that"? They wouldn't take a turn-based RPG and remake it into an action-based RPG, either... oh wait, Square Enix did do that... TWICE... (well, ok, Square Enix didn't DEVELOP Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't want to remake Lufia II unless it was action-based.)

Nomura already stated in an earlier interview that the amount of playable characters is the same of the original game: no more, no less. So Red XIII and Cait Sith are going to happen, in one way or another, especially since they influence the plot in different ways.

The real question though: will Barret and Cid keep swearing?