Awoo.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake "is this the real life..."

Badnik Mechanic

Words can't describe how happy I am that this is action based and at how beautiful it looks to boot.

Looking forward to hear Barrett's voice actor trying to pronounce "Where's its %$@#'ing head?" and other related phrases with ASCII symbols!

most likely Beau will record "Where's its fucking head?" but to preserve the ASCII, the ingame audio will present it as "Where's its (bleep)ing head?" and the subtitles will show it as "Where's its %$@#'ing head?"

For that matter it will be funny to hear Andrea say "This guy are sick" and potentially have something that was taken out of the localization:  When Cait Sith reveals that he's a ShinRa spy and at the same time, Reeve reveals that he is working with AVALANCHE to the Rufus.  In the Japanese version, this was done in text form by giving Cait Sith a Kansai accent while Reeve has a Kanto accent.  During the incident with the Mako cannon, Reeve starts speaking in Kansai, and Cait Sith in Kanto.  This doesn't occur the Western release, but since Jamieson Price and Greg Ellis have distrinctly different voices starting with Advent Children, I can see that for that one bit, Price says it in a Scottish accent while Greg drops his Scottish accent for "Newscaster American"

Edited by Tailikku

Analysis of the gameplay interface shown in the trailer:

1449347348729.jpg

Keep in mind it may just be a prototype, but if it stays like this, i'll not complain.

My god, Steve Burton's finally got a voice director that lets him show Cloud's full personality (Advent Children Complete Edition aside to an extent)!

Hmmm, re-watching that trailer, it seems that at some point you'll be able to swap which character you play as while the other characters are A.I. controlled.

He was good in Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core too

In fact, he had a much wider range of tones in that game than almost any other, not that I'm complaining though.

He was good in Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core too

In fact, he had a much wider range of tones in that game than almost any other, not that I'm complaining though.

I predict that they might reuse some things from Crisis Core and Advent Children for scenes involving Zack

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope so, I really loved their synergy in that game. Maybe a playable flashback scene too? Ooh, I'd love that so much.

1449347348729.jpg

Keep in mind it may just be a prototype, but if it stays like this, i'll not complain.

Hmmm, I will admit as my compatriot @pppp suggested,  this system appears to draw remarkable influence from Nomura's older engine used initially for Versus XIII when it supposed to be on the PS3. Gives moi the notion that we'll be able to swap characters on the fly akin to Versus XIII'S method of doing so,  including the different playstyles. 

1449347348729.jpg

Hmmm, I will admit as my compatriot @pppp suggested,  this system appears to draw remarkable influence from Nomura's older engine used initially for Versus XIII when it supposed to be on the PS3. Gives moi the notion that we'll be able to swap characters on the fly akin to Versus XIII'S method of doing so,  including the different playstyles. 

1449347348729.jpg

1449347348729.jpg

1449347348729.jpg

^ Could be a forum doubleposting type error where the board has automatically merged the messages.

I do enjoy that from what's seen of the combat Nomura was all like "you're taking away Versus from me? now FFVIIr is Versus huehue"

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, also the producer Kitase said that the game will try to retain the strategy elements of the original:

“I can’t say the new game is completely action-based, but it has more of that element and real-time than the previous game,” Kitase said in a developer video.

However, what makes Final Fantasy and RPGs different from other games is that the players have the ability to choose weapons, capabilities and magic to be strategic minded, so while the new game has more real-time element, it will also maintain that strategy building element, balancing these two factors perfectly to enhance the gaming experience."

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/yoshinori-kitase-final-fantasy-vii-remake-not-completely-action-based

So, I think that bar is basically a new type of ATB. Instead of waiting to fill to attack, you have a set amount of attacks you can do until a cooldown, which is why there's a Defend option instead of it being on a button like any other ARPG. They never show anything that happens after that bar turns red.

So, I think that bar is basically a new type of ATB. Instead of waiting to fill to attack, you have a set amount of attacks you can do until a cooldown, which is why there's a Defend option instead of it being on a button like any other ARPG. They never show anything that happens after that bar turns red.

If its a more hybrid system I'll feel better about it. I don't like the idea of taking a turn-based RPG and making it straight action-based. (I know people like to deny the traditional ATB is turn-based, but if you're picking actions from a menu and characters can only attack at set intervals, its still turn-based, even if it doesn't use strict turns).

If its a more hybrid system I'll feel better about it. I don't like the idea of taking a turn-based RPG and making it straight action-based. (I know people like to deny the traditional ATB is turn-based, but if you're picking actions from a menu and characters can only attack at set intervals, its still turn-based, even if it doesn't use strict turns).

ATB is a turn based system that runs in realtime so you can hold on to your turn until you perform an action. Unfortunately it has no visible turn queue so you can't fucking tell if the action you just chose will go immediately or the enemy triggered its turn first, so it's messy trying to strategize.

Would be neat if they took a Parasite Eve-like approach, where characters have free movement at all times to dodge and position while the gauge fills, then you get to stop, choose and execute the action. But I'm perfectly fine with KH battles because KH is tons of fun.

ATB is a turn based system that runs in realtime so you can hold on to your turn until you perform an action. Unfortunately it has no visible turn queue so you can't fucking tell if the action you just chose will go immediately or the enemy triggered its turn first, so it's messy trying to strategize.

Would be neat if they took a Parasite Eve-like approach, where characters have free movement at all times to dodge and position while the gauge fills, then you get to stop, choose and execute the action. But I'm perfectly fine with KH battles because KH is tons of fun.

Personally? I don't think KH is tons of fun. I find it just boring button mashing. But I guess that's just me... -_-

Personally? I don't think KH is tons of fun. I find it just boring button mashing. But I guess that's just me... -_-

It's fun button mashing. Not every game has to be Platinum level stuff.

I mean, the team can do better. Seph fight in KH1 is great, it requires coordination along with pattern memorization and Ice titan makes good use of the block/counter mechanic (plus it knows if you're trying to cheese it with Aero's autodeflect and adjust accordingly). It's just they keep that for the optional stuff.

To each its own I guess.

This kinda sucks, since I'll probably have to pay full price at least 3 times just to get the full experience of that game :|

If they manage to not make that happen, than I'm alright with this decision.

why do you post so much in the KH thread then if you don't like the games...?lol (also button mashing maybe in KH1 and 2. Good luck pulling that shit off in BBS/3D)

also fuck off square 

Edited by Michael Munroe

According to this the basic story will remain the same. So if this means the entire game will be remade in the style that we saw at PSX, I guess its not quite so bad, because they are literally recreating everything (except probably the world map, which will be turned into field maps for sure).

But it BETTER contain the full original story, including all characters.

why do you post so much in the KH thread then if you don't like the games...?lol (also button mashing maybe in KH1 and 2. Good luck pulling that shit off in BBS/3D)

also fuck off square 

I didn't say I don't like the games. I just don't like the gameplay very much. I don't hate it, I just find it a little boring. BBS is a bit better, but even then I haven't played mine in months lol.

Edited by JaidynReiman

According to this the basic story will remain the same. So if this means the entire game will be remade in the style that we saw at PSX, I guess its not quite so bad, because they are literally recreating everything (except probably the world map, which will be turned into field maps for sure).

But it BETTER contain the full original story, including all characters.

I didn't say I don't like the games. I just don't like the gameplay very much. I don't hate it, I just find it a little boring. BBS is a bit better, but even then I haven't played mine in months lol.

You like the dynasty warriors games don't you? Isn't KH overall pretty similar to those games. Just a tad bit more involved? So what makes KH boring compared to other button mashers?

The full FF7 game likely won't be out till like 2018-19 I bet.

this more or less confirms cloud in a dress though, and him threatening to cut that guys balls off.

Edited by Michael Munroe

Eh, as long as the model is done right I personally won't care. After all, 3 and S&K were originally supposed to be the same game, but cartridge limits spread that apart. But damn, it's been forever since I've heard of a FF game that split itself in episodic/different discs due to file limits, so it isn't as polarizing as it's expected to be. I only hope that the stretch between the episodes isn't that far apart, that can cause serious problems (cough cough Telltale and Kentucky Route Zero)

• Thumbs Up 3

Considering this is probably a AAA budget-type game, we'll probably expect to pay $60 PER EPISODE, maybe more because Square Tax.

• Thumbs Up 2

The way the tweet is worded, It doesn't seem it's a "point and click game type" of episodic. It might be like "Oh we can't really fit the game on one disc so you have to switch between two discs when it released", or in other words, like the PS1 FF7. That what I got out of the news, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4