Awoo.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake "is this the real life..."

Badnik Mechanic

The way the tweet is worded, It doesn't seem it's a "point and click game type" of episodic. It might be like "Oh we can't really fit the game on one disc so you have to switch between two discs when it released", or in other words, like the PS1 FF7. That what I got out of the news, anyway.

This is probably the more likely situation. Maybe if it's downloadable then it'll be separate games, but if this is anything to go by then this is nothing new. The word "Episode" is throwing a lot of people off tbh.

But from what I read it sounded like it was going to be a episodic release, so rather then releasing as a whole game it'll be released epepisodically.

Edited by Kurisumasu no Klonoa
  • Thumbs Up 1

You like the dynasty warriors games don't you? Isn't KH overall pretty similar to those games. Just a tad bit more involved? So what makes KH boring compared to other button mashers?

The full FF7 game likely won't be out till like 2018-19 I bet.

this more or less confirms cloud in a dress though, and him threatening to cut that guys balls off.

I like the ability to play as other characters in Hyrule Warriors. I've never played another Dynasty Warriors. And honestly its the first button masher I really kinda liked. And there's tons of variety in Hyrule Warriors, too.

Meanwhile, in Kingdom Hearts... you basically never have an option to play as other characters to give you more variety. You're forced to play as one character for the entire game, the only exception being in DDD, where instead you're FORCED to switch characters. Neither mechanic I think is all that great at all.

In Hyrule Warriors, the multiple characters and weapons varies the gameplay so much so I'm not just repeating the same actions the entire game. I can frequently switch characters, but Kingdom Hearts simply never gives you that option and variety. Yes, BBS does have three different characters... but you have to choose which to play as through the full game, then switch entire storylines, you can't just switch to your allies.

This is also what has me turned off for XV. I'll still get it, but I'm not hyped at all for it.

Considering this is probably a AAA budget-type game, we'll probably expect to pay $60 PER EPISODE, maybe more because Square Tax.

Yeah right, it'd be dead in the water before they started. What they may have you do is pay full price for the first episode, then subsequence episodes are like $10 each. This is a JRPG, you can't just start from a later part of the game, you'll need the first part to continue.

I like the ability to play as other characters in Hyrule Warriors. I've never played another Dynasty Warriors. And honestly its the first button masher I really kinda liked. And there's tons of variety in Hyrule Warriors, too.
Meanwhile, in Kingdom Hearts... you basically never have an option to play as other characters to give you more variety. You're forced to play as one character for the entire game, the only exception being in DDD, where instead you're FORCED to switch characters. Neither mechanic I think is all that great at all.

In Hyrule Warriors, the multiple characters and weapons varies the gameplay so much so I'm not just repeating the same actions the entire game. I can frequently switch characters, but Kingdom Hearts simply never gives you that option and variety. Yes, BBS does have three different characters... but you have to choose which to play as through the full game, then switch entire storylines, you can't just switch to your allies.

This is also what has me turned off for XV. I'll still get it, but I'm not hyped at all for it.

Sora's full moveset far outclasses any Dynasty Warriors character. It just takes a while for it all to unlock. Sora builds up so much during the game that I don't get how it's the same thing, though. You're making the mistake of tying combat variety to the basic combos and how many characters you can play as when Sora has far more variety than any warriors character and the enemies you fight actually change too, unlike Hyrule Warriors where you're knocking down the same hordes for the whole game with little variety.

I say its best to think positively until more info about how the episodes will release comes out and should this cause some problems but everything else about it is fantastic then i'd rather deal with the separate episodes then game bugs or missing content/storylines rewritten

this is coming from a guy who's only played the KH series though

Sora's full moveset far outclasses any Dynasty Warriors character. It just takes a while for it all to unlock. Sora builds up so much during the game that I don't get how it's the same thing, though. You're making the mistake of tying combat variety to the basic combos and how many characters you can play as when Sora has far more variety than any warriors character and the enemies you fight actually change too, unlike Hyrule Warriors where you're knocking down the same hordes for the whole game with little variety.

*sigh*

There's multiple assumptions here. First of all, I know tons of people like Sora and all, but not everyone likes Sora and how EVERYTHING revolves around Sora. I find Sora extremely annoying as well, I like the other characters in KH better (and that's a major factor in why I DO like KH; for EVERY OTHER character and their developments).

Second of all, it doesn't matter how many alternate moves exist. Yeah Sora has more moves than a single Warriors character. Doesn't come anywhere close once you take into consideration how many characters exist.

Third of all, I just like playing as multiple characters. Even if they play exactly the same.

Can't I just have my own opinions? I don't like Kingdom Hearts gameplay very much. Maybe KH3 will change that, but I'm more looking forward to the possibility of finally being able to play as someone other than Sora for a change. I didn't think I'd like Hyrule Warriors that much, but I found it surprisingly fun. The fighting can get a bit repetitive at times, but I like the strategic aspect to the game where the strategy isn't in the fighting, its figuring out what to do when and where. And then there are some enemies which do require a bit of strategy to defeat.

Yes, that happens in KH, but as a whole I found I didn't care for it as much. Maybe part of it is the fact that I can only play as Sora, whereas in Hyrule Warriors I can play as characters I've been dying to play as for years, and I have a closer connection to Zelda in general. I probably couldn't play a different Warriors game because I like the entire Hyrule Warriors experience, not just the gameplay.

And in regards to Kingdom Hearts, I don't care for Sora and I don't care for the gameplay, but I like the other characters and I, believe it or not, actually kinda do like the storyline and want to see how things play out.

• Thumbs Up 3

What about Birth by Sleep then?

Each of the three playable characters are pretty widely spread, and unique in their own right, and you aren't forced to pick any of them. You choose which one you want to play as. 

*sigh*

There's multiple assumptions here. First of all, I know tons of people like Sora and all, but not everyone likes Sora and how EVERYTHING revolves around Sora. I find Sora extremely annoying as well, I like the other characters in KH better (and that's a major factor in why I DO like KH; for EVERY OTHER character and their developments).

Second of all, it doesn't matter how many alternate moves exist. Yeah Sora has more moves than a single Warriors character. Doesn't come anywhere close once you take into consideration how many characters exist.

Third of all, I just like playing as multiple characters. Even if they play exactly the same.

Can't I just have my own opinions? I don't like Kingdom Hearts gameplay very much. Maybe KH3 will change that, but I'm more looking forward to the possibility of finally being able to play as someone other than Sora for a change. I didn't think I'd like Hyrule Warriors that much, but I found it surprisingly fun. The fighting can get a bit repetitive at times, but I like the strategic aspect to the game where the strategy isn't in the fighting, its figuring out what to do when and where. And then there are some enemies which do require a bit of strategy to defeat.

Yes, that happens in KH, but as a whole I found I didn't care for it as much. Maybe part of it is the fact that I can only play as Sora, whereas in Hyrule Warriors I can play as characters I've been dying to play as for years, and I have a closer connection to Zelda in general. I probably couldn't play a different Warriors game because I like the entire Hyrule Warriors experience, not just the gameplay.

And in regards to Kingdom Hearts, I don't care for Sora and I don't care for the gameplay, but I like the other characters and I, believe it or not, actually kinda do like the storyline and want to see how things play out.

I never made a point that you had to like Sora as a character. I was strictly speaking of him in regards to mechanics. Sorry if it sounded like I was saying something different. I was just comparing the two games mechanically since that's what your original post was about. Some of the things you were saying about Kingdom Hearts just didn't really make sense to me from a mechanical perspective, since, at least the first two, give you a huge moveset to work with and put you in a variety of scenarios. I just don't see how it could be considered "The same thing".

What about Birth by Sleep then?

Each of the three playable characters are pretty widely spread, and unique in their own right, and you aren't forced to pick any of them. You choose which one you want to play as. 

BBS handles it better, but its still not great, because although there's three different characters, you still have to play through the entire game as one, rather than just having multiple characters and choosing which one to play as whenever. For an RPG style of game, ESPECIALLY an action-based one, I don't really like that.

EDIT: The command deck I'm kinda getting into, though, and I do like that... but after spending a long time training it up with Aqua I realized how annoying it is to deal with as well. So many things have a ridiculously low chance to create, and I have to constantly reuse old abilities to make new ones which takes a long time. After spending all that time with Aqua I don't really feel like doing it with both Ventus and Terra as well.

I never made a point that you had to like Sora as a character. I was strictly speaking of him in regards to mechanics. Sorry if it sounded like I was saying something different. I was just comparing the two games mechanically since that's what your original post was about. Some of the things you were saying about Kingdom Hearts just didn't really make sense to me from a mechanical perspective, since, at least the first two, give you a huge moveset to work with and put you in a variety of scenarios. I just don't see how it could be considered "The same thing".

Of course they're not the same. I never said they were. Someone else compared the two because they thought I liked Dynasty Warriors... even though I only ever played Hyrule Warriors, and even before that game came out I was iffy about playing it specifically because I don't like hack and slash, but I did find I kinda liked it. The fighting itself wasn't what I enjoyed about it, though, it was the missions and variety.

And although Sora has a lot of moves, its just not enough to keep my interest. Frankly, having additional playable characters would hold my interest way more than having more options. Even if they play identical, it still feels different to me.

I say its best to think positively until more info about how the episodes will release comes out and should this cause some problems but everything else about it is fantastic then i'd rather deal with the separate episodes then game bugs or missing content/storylines rewritten

this is coming from a guy who's only played the KH series though

I'm feeling a little better about it after the Wall Street Journal guy from Japan revealed his tweets. That makes me feel better, because it sounds like they are trying to completely recreate the original game, and then add additional content on top of that.

Edited by JaidynReiman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never found the deck system in BBS horrible when it came to melding and chance. Though 3D definitely improves the BBS system, and makes things much simpler in that regard.

I never found the deck system in BBS horrible when it came to melding and chance. Though 3D definitely improves the BBS system, and makes things much simpler in that regard.

The issue I found is when researching different abilities, there's tons of abilities that have only a 10%-20% chance of being created. Most of the commands don't require that, but quite a few of the high-level rare ones do, which is annoying. Good luck filling up your deck...

Then there's the fact it took a ton of grinding just to do it for Aqua. At least in traditional JRPG's with full parties, you can grind multiple characters at once, but I don't feel like grinding out all those commands for all three characters. Though I will complete the other two playthroughs. I plan to get back to BBS soon to finish Ventus.

Anyway I can't wait to see some of the more dramatic/emotional scenes remade in HD, like when Barret's hometown was destroyed. It's gonna be pretty awesome.

Edited by Uchiha Avenger Sasuke
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is probably the more likely situation. Maybe if it's downloadable then it'll be separate games, but if this is anything to go by then this is nothing new. The word "Episode" is throwing a lot of people off tbh.

But from what I read it sounded like it was going to be a episodic release, so rather then releasing as a whole game it'll be released epepisodically.

Which is kind of funny because I don't think any official sources have used the word "episode" or "episodic" yet. It's not in the press release that was posted. They've used the term "multi-part series" which implies something different, I think?

Still nervous about this but let's not jump the gun. 

Edit: they did use the word episodes in an interview. Scratch that part.

Edited by Solly

"Multi Part Series" could mean something like Final Fantasy VII, Crisis Core, and Advent Children all getting games

GAF thread about an interview on the game. Includes a few more details about the multi-release. Translation is currently in progress.

- About the details of splitting the game into episodes, please tell us more.

Kitase: From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game.Althought it's impossible to tell you the details about the splitting at the moment, please wait for our further announcement.

Nomura: If we tried to stuff the whole game into one release, some part of the game would have to appear as digests. We'd have to remove some contents from the game, and it would be difficult to add more to the game. Considering that a full remake of the original game must be achived, we have decided to split the game into episodes.

Kitase: Taking the No.8 street shown in the video this time, even just this is already highly dense. If we are to remake the content of the original version at that quality, it would have been impossible to do with a single release.

Splitting the original version into episode with nothing dropped, as well as adding complements, and remaking the game the game in its full volume is what we are thinking.

More details later. Basically it's done because of data limitations and because they want to give the game the full remake treatment. 

My only concern is this compromising the game's non-linearity, and stripping down things like the overworld. I can deal with everything being released separately, but hopefully we don't wait too long. 

• Thumbs Up 3

GAF thread about an interview on the game. Includes a few more details about the multi-release. Translation is currently in progress.

More details later. Basically it's done because of data limitations and because they want to give the game the full remake treatment. 

My only concern is this compromising the game's non-linearity, and stripping down things like the overworld. I can deal with everything being released separately, but hopefully we don't wait too long. 

Don't worry about the non-linearity issue. They're clearly stating here they want to remake the game exactly.

Remember, there are MANY areas that are never visited again. Also don't forget you'll never see the cutscenes again, either.

The world itself can fit into one game easily enough. Especially since there are some areas you will never revisit. I don't think they'll remove the non-linearity aspects at all, they'll just remove old unused things in the latter releases.

As for the overworld, that might be stripped down to an extent, removing some of the nooks and crags that have nothing in them. Otherwise, though, same situation, they'll recreate as much of it as possible, and it can fit fine; the stuff that isn't needed in future releases will be cut out.

Then there's the aspect of how the game's progression works. Obviously, you can't start from future Episodes. You'll have to start from the beginning. It'll basically work like switching discs, but it'll be in separate releases.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's fine if they actually pull something like a XenoSaga, but if they just sell the 3 discs as separate games then they can fuck right off.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Episode 1's main scenario is complete. Late 2016 release perhaps?

In this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine, Final Fantasy VII Remake producer Yoshinori Kitase, director Tetsuya Nomura, and scenario writer Kazushige Nojima had some details to share on the upcoming PlayStation 4 title.

The interview features various details that we previously reported, but Hachima put the following notes on some of the interesting tidbits.

• We’ll get to explore around all the areas of Midgar.
  • Square Enix would like to delve more deeply into Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie.
  • They can’t say how many volumes the entire Final Fantasy VII Remake will be in this stage.
  • Can’t say anything about any online features for now.
  • The main scenario for the multi-series’ first part is already completed.
  • As previously reported, the game is using Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 4 to create the game. They’re also getting technological assistance from the Kingdom Hearts team, and may work together for the game in the near future.
  • Cloud’s auditory hallucination scenes are being shaped up to be more meaningful.
  • The cast is expected to be the same from those of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.
  • The “ATB Gauge” that turns red is different from a Limit Break, and Square Enix plans on having a special system, one that they can’t show yet, but it will change depending on the play-style of the player.
  • They’ve yet to decide on whether there will be a guard.

"The cast is expected to be the same from those of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children."

Hmm,  I don't know how I should take that.gumshoe-disheartened(a).gif

Please Square. Please allow Cloud to actually have functional human happiness for more than just the baggage few last minutes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"The cast is expected to be the same from those of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children."

Hmm,  I don't know how I should take that.gumshoe-disheartened(a).gif

Please Square. Please allow Cloud to actually have functional human happiness for more than just the baggage few last minutes. 

They meant the voice cast.

• 3 months later...
On 12/6/2015 at 9:28 PM, Gambling Idol Luka said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64/status/673685013850808320?p=v

So the game's gonna be episodic. That's fine by me but everyone else hates episodic games so

Lately, it seems that Square have been making an effort to clarify:

Fantasy 7 Remake: E3 2015 Reveal

Final Fantasy 7 Remake's "Episodes" are the Size of Full Games

Share.
Big talk.

By Joe Skrebels Final Fantasy VII Remake's episodes will each be the size of a full-scale game, on par with installments of the Final Fantasy XIII sub-series.

There had previously been some confusion over the announcement that the game will be a multi-part series, with some asking whether it would take the form of something like Telltale's 2-3 hour episodes.

However, in the latest issue of Game Informer, producer Yoshinori Kitase clarifies, saying: "It will essentially be a full scale game for each part of the multi-part series [...] if we're just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game."

Kitase was keen to make clear that that doesn't mean Final Fantasy VII Remake will be taking anything more than the general structure from XIII:

"In XIII, each instalment told the story from a different angle. It was kind of like approaching an unknown territory in a sense. Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn't really make sense if that isn't encompassed in a multi-part series."

Previously the game's director, Tetsuya Nomura, had stated that the game would feature "dramatic changes" from the original, and Kitase continued that message:

"I, along with [Tetsuya] Nomura-san and [Kazushige] Nojima-san--who are involved with the remake--were also involved with the original Final Fantasy. We were the people who created it, so in that sense, we don't think anything is untouchable. That isn't to say we're changing everything!"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/06/final-fantasy-7-remakes-episodes-are-the-size-of-full-games

That the game will in fact be THAT much larger.

• Thumbs Up 4

So its essentially going to be like the old .hack games/xenosaga then? In that case I probably won't mind this too much then.