Awoo.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake "is this the real life..."

Badnik Mechanic

I can't imagine the pressure that is on Nomura and co., this is one of gaming's classics we're talking about, often lauded as one of the greatest games ever made. Remaking it is no tall order. 

While I have, and still do, question exactly how long it will take for the project to be complete, tackling it in this way is likely the only feasible fashion they could have endeavoured in the game's development without significant compromises. So.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm really not sure how that would work out. Where would each cutoff point be? And I'm guessing we definitely won't be exploring the whole world in one game, then, huh?

Thing is, the way the discs of the original game were divided in good endind points; the only way i can imagine the remake having an halt before what happens at the end of disc 1 may be after Cid's recruitment and Yuffie's sidequest, unless the pace is changed. Or if we want to backtrack a bit before, maybe during the ship travel between Junon and Costa de Sol, but i don't think the first game part will be that short.

I heard something about Midgard itself taking up entirely one game. But they'd greatly expand on the Midgard section, perhaps allowing us to explore the entirety of Midgard. My guess is that Sephiroth or Jenova would be the final boss in Shinra HQ.

The next stretch would probably be through Temple of the Ancients. After that they could possibly go straight to the final boss, since Disc 1 is mostly side quests.

Splitting it by disc wouldn't really make sense, all the discs are very different in regards to the actual amount of content and time it takes to complete them.

• 9 months later...

Holy...

Fucking...

SHIT!

Unfortunately, in a separate Famitsu interview translated by Siliconera, Kitase did not exactly suggest the project is zooming along.

“We’re currently brushing up the scene from the announcement trailer. We can now see the line of quality that we’re aiming for more clearly, but there’s still a ways to go,” he said.

If we’re interpreting that correctly, Square Enix is still putting together target footage, meaning production hasn’t actually kicked off.
 That certainly matches up with earlier comments that Final Fantasy 7 still has a way to go.

Kitase went on to make a comment about raising the quality bar part way through Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s episodic release if a new generation of consoles is released. that should give you an idea of the time frame Square is expecting.

If this is accurate, the game is not in production and they're targeting NEXT GEN systems, so Playstation 5, Xbox Two or whatever the hell they're gonna call it!

*Edit 2: Link removed from that click bait trash!

Edit: Right.

Apparently, they're not. The original interview that this comment is based on is here: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/02/yoshinori-kitase-talks-final-fantasy-vii-remake-progress/

VG24/7 just decided to spin the interview and come to a false conclusion and even provided a false translation of what was said.

GAMES JOURNALISM everybody!

• 1 year later...

Big bump!

So we potentially have a visual now for what Clouds new design is, since we heard awhile back that they were overhauling the visual style and character designs. 

So....um it looks definitely different from the original trailers designs. Not sure if I can say if I like it or not more than the other yet. Need time to process it.

• 9 months later...

it's alive guys

it's actually alive

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

Just, nothing about this remake is doing it for me.

Sephiroths new voice is alright, but definitely like the original one more. It’s more threatening and iconic 

All of the voices sound a bit off other than Aerith's and Barret's.

I'm hoping these are just placeholder voices because the VA hasn't been done yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve Burton still voices Cloud by the sounds of it.

Maybe it’s his voice direction then that’s off. Cause that doesn’t sound like the Steve burton I’ve gotten used to lol. He sounds like Noctis here a bit 

It's been a while since I've heard his voice so just had a quick re listen lol yes, it does sound different, but his 'not interested' line in the original teaser sounded like Steve to me. Maybe I need to hear Noctis again.

Edit: Steve's twitter bio says voice of Cloud Strife, so maybe still?

The FF7 Remake is still looking really pretty visually there is no doubt... However I am not a fan of hyper realistic art styles so I can't say this here overly excites me really. That is among the top reasons modern FF games don't appeal to me as much lately. For FF7 I prefer the intent of the original game's kinda anime style more overall. Can't say I am a huge fan of them trying to convert the FF7 battle system into something closer resembling the Kingdom Hearts action based RPG system either. Even if I have nothing against action RPGs, I am just more of a turn base RPG fan myself. Regardless I still look forward to seeing what comes out from this project.

If that really is Steve Burton, then I'm very impressed because he actually sounds good as Cloud for the very first time ever. Not even trolling. Dub Cloud has sounded terrible in absolutely everything he's ever been in except this trailer aside from when he's yelling.

Though, to be fair, JP Cloud is even worse. Cloud just hasn't had a good voice in general.

9 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

If that really is Steve Burton, then I'm very impressed because he actually sounds good as Cloud for the very first time ever. Not even trolling. Dub Cloud has sounded terrible in absolutely everything he's ever been in except this trailer aside from when he's yelling.

Seems I can never agree with you on anything Square related lately lol. To me he sounds a bit too generic. My absolute favorite of Steve Burtons performance has to be between either his KH2 appearance(that bit when he and squall are competing against eachother being the most notable for me) and the entirety of Word of Final Fantasy. That games lighthearted meta style really did wonder for the “brooding” characters 

I'm just hoping for this game that Square remember that Cloud isn't nearly as much a brooder as they thought he was, ever since Kingdom Hearts 1, until Smash reminded them.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

I'm just hoping for this game that Square remember that Cloud isn't nearly as much a brooder as they thought he was, ever since Kingdom Hearts 1, until Smash reminded them.

I agree. OG Cloud was far more of a whimsical dork then many of his later incarnations would lead people to believe.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I agree. OG Cloud was far more of a whimsical dork then many of his later incarnations would lead people to believable.

Yeah, I was never really a fan of how Nomura messed with that. Hopefully with Nojima on board as the writer, we'll get him back. 

And hey, at least his model looks better than the last trailer.

The music sounds new, although i can't put my finger on what remix it may be.
As for the voice actors, i recognize Gideon Emery for Biggs and Grant George for Sephiroth. Cloud sounds a bit like Ray Chase, but i'm not really sure. I'm guessing they're just placeholders. Considering the high production value and the fact that George Newborne and Steve Burton are voicing Sephiroth and Cloud in Dissidia NT right now it would be weird to see this change.

Everything else looks sweet. I wonder how the other characters will be implemented, but if they're showing only Midgar for now, something tells me we'll not see them for a while. Here's hopin' for E3 still.

11 hours ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

until Smash reminded them.

Again, WoFF gave him more of a lighthearted fun personality from what I recall

Also the Dissidia games function as a transitional period where Cloud starts mopey but becomes better progressively. NT has him in his original game's persona, to the point that him smiling in the teaser trailer back in 2015 was viewed as an achievement.

EDIT: the remake is confirmed to still be episodic https://gematsu.com/2019/05/final-fantasy-vii-remake-still-a-multi-part-series

I'm guessing we're just getting Midgar for now.