Awoo.

Dishonored 2

Pawn

The critically-acclaimed Dishonored is to receive a sequel, due for release in Spring 2016 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. While he may not show up in the trailer, Corvo Attano is back and so is Emily Kaldwin; only now she is all grown up and an assassin herself. The game takes place 15 years after the first game in Corvo's birthplace, the coastal city of Karnaca, which appears to be under the grasp of another slimy bureaucrat. The Outsider features in the trailer too, revealing that Emily has lost her position as Empress somehow. Both she and Corvo have their own unique set of weapons and powers.

We get a little look at some of the new abilities, as Emily conjures web shooters some kind of twisted grapple hook that looks to be her answer to Corvo's Blink. She also transforms into a frightening creature made of smoke near the end, clawing relentlessly towards that smarmy toerag. Talking of transformation, the rooms themselves were changing at one point, adding exciting new potential challenges for the player.

The first installment is one my favourite games of all time, so I'm super hyped for this. I was hoping for a Christmas release but it's nice to have something big for Spring already lined up. I look forward to choice playing an even bigger role, with two characters offering up even more replay value than before (even if I was hoping for a lone female lead for this one. Oh well; Emily looks super awesome either way).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pawn

• Scott

• Emperor Robrainiac

• Junko

Fuck! Yes!

I knew they were making a sequel, and almost all signs pointed to Emily being playable.

The story however, was a surprise. After the first Dishonored, I'd figure Corvo to be dead by now. But I'm eager to see how this is going to turn out, especially now that we get to go to Corvo's birthplace. Bring on Dishonored 2!

After seeing this trailer, I went and bought the first game. This game looks fantastic, and so far, I'm actually really enjoying it. I found that I like playing stealthily when it comes to FPS games that let you decide how to play. Though needless to say, I was surprised to see that the girl in the trailer ended up being the same little girl you meet at the beginning of the game. 

I dunno if I spoiled the first game upon seeing that trailer... Not sure if I'll watch it again until I beat the game, since I don't know all the details of it. In the meantime, though, I'll be enjoying the first Dishonored while waiting for this one. 

I, uh, am actually pretty surprised noone's hyped about this tbh. Last week, Bethesda announced Dishonored 2, a sequel to Dishonored which was released back in 2012. After years of rumours since the initial release, Bethesda dropped the trailer last Sunday.

Seemingly, due to the announcement tweet for Dishonored: Definitive, Dishonored 2 will be released sometime next year.

Now, if you played the first game, you'll note that, uh, that's not Corvo in the trailer. That's because in this game, you play as Emily Kaldwin, the little girl the plot revolved around in Dishonored. However, fret not because you also play as Corvo (with which, some people are displeased with) as well. And just how does that work ingame? IGN had an interview detailing just how it'll work.

Arkane Studios' bosses Raphael Colantonio and Harvey Smith have revealed new details about how Dishonored 2 will differentiate between Emily and Corvo, and what changes fans of the original should expect.

Speaking to IGN during E3 2015, the duo explained you won't be switching between the two characters as missions go on, but will instead face a choice near the start of the game that'll be permanent.

"The way we’re doing it this time is you play Emily for about 20 or 30 minutes at the beginning of the game, then there’s this very dramatic moment where you can choose which one to continue with, either Emily or Corvo," Smith explained. "Then for the rest of the game you’re locked into that choice. But it’s the same series of missions whether you choose or the other, they just have different perspectives and commentary on it."

"They do have completely different powers, however. In the announce trailer you see Emily using a power called 'Far Reach'. She doesn’t have Blink, she has Far Reach, and it can be upgraded mechanically in different ways than Blink can be. You also see her using Shadow Walk at the end, and that’s a power Corvo won’t have either."

The duo also explained player feedback has played a major part in the development of the sequel. One of the biggest complaints about the original was that the game was too easy, so now a wealth of options have been added to make it tougher. For example, if you're feeling masochistic, you'll be able to toggle a setting that dictates how visible you are when leaning around things. Those who want an accessible game so they can explore the world can have that by remaining invisible when leaning, while those who want a challenge can make it so guards will spot them if they look long enough.

Another big addition was teased, though Colantonio was rather coy about it. He said in addition to the lethal and non-lethal playthroughs present in the first game, there's to be a third path. When this is combined with the fact you can choose between Corvo or Emily and more pathways through the world than ever before, both he and Smith believe there's a strong case for players wanting to go through the game again and push themselves with a new route, character and difficulty.

As for those fearing Corvo may be taking a backseat in this version of the game, Smith emphasised that wasn't necessarily the case, and his skills have received a fresh lick of paint to boot.

"I feel like Dishonored 1 was Corvo’s story - in Dishonored 2, you can play Corvo, and we love Corvo – we’ve deepened and extended all of his powers. We’ve revisited all of his powers from the first game and added new upgrades and things. So he has his classic powers, but they’re upgraded and extended."

"But it does feel like there’s an excitement around Emily. It’s 15 years later and I think what Raf was talking about was after you finish Dishonored, you wonder how this girl will grow up. She was a 10-year-old, her mother was killed, she was from a position of privilege but then went through a tragedy and was raised by Corvo so what would she be like as a 25-year-old? We were really excited about seeing her story play out as the resolution of what happened to her mother, the assassination of this Empress."

We'll have more on Dishonored 2 as it's announced. In the meantime, we've already had a glimpse at an aging Corvo Attano and it doesn't look like the years have been kind.

• 11 months later...

Looks incredible :D Absolutely loved the first title. Already Pre-ordered the Collectors Edition, which comes with Emily's ring and Corvo's mask! 

Kind of hoping Corvo is still mute.

• 4 months later...

Well this topic hasn't seen much love! Anyhow, got the game today and been playing a few levels.

How do I feel so far? In a nutshell, I think it's okay.

Now allow me to elaborate....

So the game starts up with an anniversary for Jasmine Kaldwins 15th anniversary since she was assassinated. All is well until dramatic plot point happens. Here you choose to play as. In which case for familiarity, I chose Corvo. Which caused Emily to be turned to stone. 

One thing I immediately noticed was the art style! You know that unique slight-cartoony looking art style the first game had? It's practically gone now. I mean it's there but its so subtle under the more realistic and gritty look. The colours are a little less bright too. For me, that kind of killed the uniqueness the game had in a sense. I noticed before the game started too, it now runs on an IT Tech engine instead of Unreal Engine like the previous game and for the majority, they've nailed it all gameplay wise. Every button still has the same function as they do on the original which is great. Though I feel when moving around as Corvo, it's a little stiff and clunky compared to the first game. 

The levels so far themselves are thoroughly detailed and look great on the Xbox One which can seem a bit overwhelming and I'll admit Karnaca is a whole different place compared to Dunwall. Even the first level that takes place in Dunwall only feels the slightest bit like Dunwall. The AI is vastly improved, making the game a little harder I'd say.

I'm also not digging that Corvo talks. I do find it kind of funny he's voiced by Stephen Russell who plays as Garett in THIEF from which Dishonored is inspired from :lol: but Corvos gruff seriousness is an opposite direction from Garett's lighthearted snarkyness! Also a bit gutted that some returning characters have been recast. 

Overall so far, it feels like the games are only related by the small things. Like cousins with the same surname.    

Here's hoping what's left can leave me liking it as much as the first or more