Awoo.

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Brad

A new exclusive and original IP announced in the Sony conference at E3 2015. Looks extremely similar to Monster Hunter in concept but set in the future - robotic beasts roam and dominate the world, and your role is to hunt and bring them down. Gameplay shown at E3 shows a female hunter bringing down a gigantic robotic dinosaur using her weapons to weaken it, and then using a rope style trapping mechanic to finish it off. The game looks extremely fun, very beautiful and extremely damn cool. 

"As Horizon Zero Dawn’s main protagonist Aloy, a skilled hunter, explore a vibrant and lush world inhabited by mysterious mechanized creatures. Embark on a compelling, emotional journey and unravel mysteries of tribal societies, ancient artifacts and advanced technologies that will determine the fate of this planet, and of life itself," the game's fact sheet says.

Amsterdam-based Guerrilla Games is best known for the PlayStation-exclusive Killzone series.

Game is an exclusive on the PS4 with no announced release date as of yet outside of 2016. Let's hope this original IP works out better than The Order 1886 but it's already looking hella more promising. As more details become available I'll update this OP!

• Thumbs Up 8

Game looks really great, pretty hyped. Love pretty much everything about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Literally the first GG game I will buy. I love everything about this concept. Everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the look of this - the mechosaurs, the hunter gatherers, the sneakiness and the combat all look wonderful. I worry a little that the plot might not be up to snuff, that you won't actually go hunting for real food, and that the series will remain based in what is clearly America, when it could roam the Earth and give us a wonderful diversity in locations and tribes (as was maybe glimpsed in the trailer?). But it's a lovely looking game, and one of the Sony conference's highlights for me.

This looks pretty awesome. Definitely the most underrated thing at the conference IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing I didn't like about this game is that the protagonist sounds like she's been to the Rise of Lyric school of voice acting, a bit too much talking during the gameplay which doesn't quite fit with the action.

You've got to wonder what happened - how machines came to overthrow (or just evict) mankind, and then seemingly take the place of the Earth's lost megafauna and begin to evolve and adapt. The plot will probably focus on that story. I hope that future installments of this IP will take place hundreds or thousands of years apart, giving players a chance to see mankind's great cities swallowed up by nature, new bio-mechanical civilizations eventually rising in their place

Also, how do the dinodroids get their hands on live ammunition? Tiny ammo factories within their bodies?

Edit: PICTURES

18849066081_b3435c98fb_h.jpg

18660190509_295070ced7_h.jpg

18223769824_f37d7f244d_h.jpg

18660190749_e5786f3d1a_h.jpg

18849066281_da033ab832_h.jpg

18849066731_75f88d51ac_h.jpg

18658659520_ee0adc3a2e_h.jpg

18660190569_a8a96c37f1_h.jpg

18225725533_e1bf0d7b56_h.jpg

Oh my god, it looks like I absolutely have to buy a PS4 next year. I've been tempted by PlayStation exclusives for a long time now but this one takes the fucking cake. A third-person action survival game in a beautiful world featuring what looks to be a female lead, gorgeous character designs and evolving, mechanical dinosaurs... Even the lore, going by the trailer, must be pretty awesome considering the circumstances so I hope they deliver on that.

Probably one of my favourite parts of the conference, definitely excited for this one. Visually, it looks amazing, and the gameplay does remind me a bit of Monster Hunter. Overall, I am interested.

This was the first thing that really got me thinking of getting a PS4. Gorgeous graphics and an interesting concept with the world being so natural and yet so unnatural with the cyborg fauna roaming the Earth. I also really like the look of Aloy, but I hope she's not as talkative in the final game.

Pretty sure this won't be another Order 1886 disappointment!

I can't help but think of Enslaved when I look at this, it looks cool though.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is one the most refreshing things I've seen outta E3 in the past few years.

The premise, the environments...it's really something else. It looks like something that 'clicks' with me all the good ways. 

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I guess Zelda is occupying the minds of most at the moment, but this just about edges that out as my most anticipated game of next year. Everything that I've read and heard from hands-on impressions makes this sound every bit as incredible to play as it looks. The only elements that didn't wow me were the very clean and modern style of the HUD and the kind of stiff interaction between characters during dialogue in the E3 2016 showing. Those feel like relatively minor complaints though (even if I hope the latter sees some improvement between now and release) when I absolutely love what I'm seeing and hearing of the rest of the game.

Pre-E3 trailer:

E3 2016 trailer:

Impressions: