Awoo.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

Klinsy

Mario! Luigi! Paper Mario! Paper Luigi!

A new Mario RPG has been announced, it's a crossover of the Mario & Luigi series and Paper Mario series.

Gameplay is more like Mario & Luigi but Paper Mario joins the bros and brings the paper attacks, such as riding on a giant Papercraft Mario.

Now if only Super Mario RPG Mario could show up.

What do you think of this game?

• Thumbs Up 9

The most hype thing to come out the conference for me! I love these games so much, and though I haven't really played Paper Mario, it's great to see them crossover. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was having an excitement attack after all the boring stuff that came before it. I loved Dream Team and this looks like a great sequel to it plus it will expose me to the Paper Mario series as well. I wanted to get Sticker Star but after its reception I decided not to get it.

I can't wait. I trust Alpha Dream and Intelligent System's collab will be great.

It's a cool concept for sure but I'm not as excited as I was at first sighting of it due to it clearly being far more Mario & Luigi than it is Paper Mario, and I'm solidly more of a fan of the latter's gameplay.  Definitely feels like "Mario & Luigi 5: Starring Paper Mario".  Which is prolly fine with many of course!  But I'd have rather just had a new Paper Mario.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI9Ic3tz2lc

Here's the trailer that was shown at the event! Game's looking pretty good so far!

• Thumbs Up 6

Well at least M&L Bowser's dialogue implies that Paper Bowser talks. In fact, the design is more SPM than Sticker Star.

It would be fine if they went back to the Super Paper Mario version of the branch for character and story.

Probably the most exciting thing shown in Nintendo's Direct. I love Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario is also great, so a crossover is like a dream come true. This should also hopefully redeem Paper Mario after Sticker Star. I don't want to see ANY stickers!

THANK GOODNESS!

Bowser has his personality back, I hated that they just gotten rid of it in Sticker Star.

This is really interesting to see both of the RPG's Mario worlds collide in a way ala Sonic Generations Classic and Modern Sonic.

Jumping back from the Final Fantasy VII topic, where I said something about a game being made just to pander to fans...

...about this, THIS is how you pander to fans. Giving them something completely original while at the same time unoriginal like FFXV's four crystals and semi-Active Time combat thrust into a new setting with a realistic context and characters that actually have lives. Something fans know is familiar, but translated into a new medium.

Judging from the free-roaming gameplay alone, I can say that THIS is also how all Mario games should be played. It looks good enough for me to be the first pure Mario game I will have purchased in SIX YEARS.

This is a huge development in Mario canon. I had always assumed Paper Mario was just an art style thing, but it is in fact a separate Mario! Mario multiverse confirmed!

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm loving the concept of this. Maybe we can get some partners to be the 2nd Paper Mario character?

I'm loving the concept of this. Maybe we can get some partners to be the 2nd Paper Mario character?

That could work, similar to Assist Trophies in Smash, co-op characters in Shadow and guest characters in FF games. With the M&L duo joining the papery plumber, though, it seems to me that party members may take much less of a spotlight for narrative reasons. ><

This is amazing honestly. I knew IS couldn't be developing a Wii U Paper Mario, but I never expected a Mario & Luigi crossover with Paper Mario.

Okay then, this game looks pretty rad so far--it's the Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario crossover that I've been waiting for since... well, Superstar Saga! Paper Bowser had better speak, though. None of this "silent monster" hooey, please.

Probably the most exciting thing shown in Nintendo's Direct. I love Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario is also great, so a crossover is like a dream come true. This should also hopefully redeem Paper Mario after Sticker Star. I don't want to see ANY stickers!

I don't know, these things on the Touch Screen look suspicious.

tumblr_nq1vli0mZ71r1alb2o1_400.jpg

This is a huge development in Mario canon. I had always assumed Paper Mario was just an art style thing, but it is in fact a separate Mario! Mario multiverse confirmed!

Really? I always sorta knew Paper Mario was in its own universe. I mean the fact that some Mario enemies like Goomba aren't out to kill you is a dead giveaway.

Well, in Mario Party there are nice little goombas and koopas who run shops and banks (though the banker is A DICK jerk takes my money just for walking past) so I always just kind of figured there were a few nice ones around.

Looks like Starlow is back, as shown in the image linked on the previous page.

Not surprising.

She's been in the past two M&L games.

Must be a mainstay.

Lqz7xBS.png

The fact sheet for the game. Looks like I was on the right track with my last pic. Paper Mario comes out of a book. Paper mario universe is a book made by someone else. Watch this be a plot point.

519px-Mario_Luigi_Paper_Mario_and_Starlo

So Paper Mario's Book has appeared in the Mario and Luigi world?