Awoo.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash(Wii U)

Klinsy

Or Dry Bowser is Bowser's brother(or Father) who he attempted to off in an attempt to seize power, who stays alive via dark means. That would explain why his hair is closer to Junior's rather than Bowser's

I don't know what type of reasoning you are trying to make here, to be fair - a lot of fans actually like him aside from the points that you have assumed. And to you what if people even did like him just for the reason for being an underdog? Then well, that just makes the justification of fans liking other, less valued characters from other fandoms moot in your own eyes - like Eggman was at one point in the Sonic fandom, for example.

I love Waluigi and it is not for his "meme status" or anything of the sorts, but for the fact that I admire his underhandedness, the somewhat sycophantic behavior towards Wario out of admiration (but yet he isn't afraid to cheat him out of villain wiles,) and his mysterious air. His Loki-esque behavior and his cunning are what drew me in as a fan long ago and the potential of what he can be still keeps me a fan to this day.  His ability to persevere obstacles and that Robotnik-esque quality to overcome adversity is really appealing and something that I can relate towards on a first-hand basis. This character means a lot to others more than what you may think appears on the surface ( for one, anyone can ask my friends about Waluigi and they will tell you with a similar conviction that they hate the meme basis surrounding him and take him as a character at face value, even if there isn't much to go by now or things that others don't pick up on.)

If anything. I know that his Amiibo will look excellent and I will be looking forward to picking it up on day one (that's if I can get it. Wario is still hard to find.)

You put up a good defence of Waluigi, and for what it's worth, I think it'd be great if he got equal billing with Wario in a Wario Land or a Mario & Luigi game.  I still think a lot of the nuance isn't really there, though.

Actually, Mario Party Island Tour implies that there's more than one Bowser. Dry Bowser appears as a boss, and Toad refers to him as a Dry Bowser, not the Bowser. And King Bowser calls Dry Bowser a "family friend". Not to mention the Mario and Sonic games treat him as a separate character.

Maybe "Bowser" is the name of a species of Koopa, and Bowser himself, like Toad and Yoshi, is named after his species. I only bring this up because Dry Bowser has been repeatedly hinted to also be an individual entity, unlike, say, Tanooki Mario in Mario Kart 8.

Maybe they're the remains of the Raccoon Tail Bowser Impostors?  Some of those seem to return to their original form when plunged in lava, though, but I guess they could be similarly enchanted Dry Bones.  Legitimate Bowser duplicates implies an easy route to Dry Bowser duplicates.

Actually, Mario Party Island Tour implies that there's more than one Bowser. Dry Bowser appears as a boss, and Toad refers to him as a Dry Bowser, not the Bowser. And King Bowser calls Dry Bowser a "family friend". Not to mention the Mario and Sonic games treat him as a separate character.

Maybe "Bowser" is the name of a species of Koopa, and Bowser himself, like Toad and Yoshi, is named after his species. I only bring this up because Dry Bowser has been repeatedly hinted to also be an individual entity, unlike, say, Tanooki Mario in Mario Kart 8.

I don't think it's the name of his species. I just think Island Tour and Mario + Sonic are spinoffs that are doing their own thing. Nintendo's made it pretty clear that the Mario canon only loosely exists, and that characters are meant to be like actors in a play, but in most of the 'storied' games, Dry Bowser isn't his own person.

In his debut appearance, and in main titles, he's just undead Bowser. In NSMB, Bowser gets knocked into the lava. He comes back as Dry Bowser. For the final boss, his bones are thrown into a cauldron and he's transformed back into his old self. He's another form of Bowser in other games, too, like Mario Party 10, and you fight him after you defeat normal Bowser in a similar fashion in NSMB2 and Super Mario 3D Land. 

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 2

Metal Mario, Baby Mario, and Cat Peach have all appeared as separate characters before

in spinoff though. The main series more specifically in partners in time the babies where part of the plot.

Super Mario 3Dland and NSMB2 treat Dry Bowser as his own character

To be fair, in both those cases, Dry Bowser only shows up in secret, post-ending levels, which are of questionable canonicity.

Yeah you can't really count Dry Bowser as for most games he's just a bonus except for NSMB which he was part of the plot.

in spinoff though. The main series more specifically in partners in time the babies where part of the plot.

Super Mario 3Dland and NSMB2 treat Dry Bowser as his own character

How so? He just appears in the post game levels. Unless I'm remembering something wrong, there isn't anything indicating he isn't Bowser there. 

Some new screenshots have been released, confirming two of the unlockable characters

Mario-Tennis-Ultra-Smash-9.jpg

Bowser Jr in his clown car!

Mario-Tennis-Ultra-Smash-7.jpg

Dry Bowser

Mario-Tennis-Ultra-Smash-2.jpg

Bowser Jr is actually quite an interesting addition now - it looks like they're really making the most of his new Smash Bros character set-up!

I'll admit I quite like how he's looking here, pretty good overall.

On another note, it appears it is confirmed there are no new stadiums in the game. At least innately, here's hoping maybe we might get some in an update, even if they're not in the game innately. Or maybe Camelot will just ignore adding any more content and focus on GS4 instead lol.

Wait, it's been confirmed there's no unlockable fantasy courts at all?  They're all just different textures in the same basic stadium?

That is really... REALLY shit if so.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm loving Jr.'s newfound mechanical gimmick. Makes him SOOOOO much more interesting to play as than just a pint-sized Bowser that may or may not have a paintbrush.

Also, I'm probably going to wait until next year to pick this up. The overall package seems a bit lacking for $50, so I think waiting on a discount and until any possible DLC is out would be optimal. There's just not enough there to justify getting right away.

(I'm also beginning to notice a "Mario Tennis 64" vibe about this overall game. Same number of characters, generic courts with different floors, simplified gameplay...makes you wonder if there's more to Ninty's recent re-trademarking of Donkey Kong Jr. than meets the eye. First DLC character?) 

Edited by CC14 Soul Snatcher

I love how we're giving Smash Bros. credit for putting Bowser Jr. in the Clown Car, even though that's actually one of the few ideas that came from the New Super Mario Bros. games.  Or are we just not allowed to give NSMB credit for anything ever?

On a less snarky note, what's the deal with Magikoopa?  Is he a separate mechanic or is he Bowser and Dry Bowser's exclusive alternative to Mega Mushrooms?

I love how we're giving Smash Bros. credit for putting Bowser Jr. in the Clown Car, even though that's actually one of the few ideas that came from the New Super Mario Bros. games.  Or are we just not allowed to give NSMB credit for anything ever?

On a less snarky note, what's the deal with Magikoopa?  Is he a separate mechanic or is he Bowser and Dry Bowser's exclusive alternative to Mega Mushrooms?

I don't know what Kamek is involved in

Wait, it's been confirmed there's no unlockable fantasy courts at all?  They're all just different textures in the same basic stadium?

That is really... REALLY shit if so.

According to previews. In the demos they played there aren't any unlockable stadiums. The courts do have unique gameplay mechanics, though, such as making you faster. Unless the demos don't have stadiums but the final game will lol.

The problem is, yeah, he used the clown car in NSMB, but despite that its still something no one would've expected to happen in the likes of Smash, and I mean, Bowser has had his clown car since Super Mario World, and he still is grounded in spinoffs.

Edited by JaidynReiman

Yeah, Bowser Jr. has had his Clown Car since 2009. And in recent years, it's been showing up all over the place: Mario Party 9 and 10, Sticker Star, Dream Team, Smash, and now this! 

That can't be healthy for his still-developing legs. Kid really needs to get more exercise.

• Thumbs Up 2

According to previews. In the demos they played there aren't any unlockable stadiums. The courts do have unique gameplay mechanics, though, such as making you faster. Unless the demos don't have stadiums but the final game will lol.

Has it been specifically said that they were demos then, not the final game?  In 64 and Power Tennis, all the wacky courts were unlockable if I recall, with only down-to-earth courts available at the start.

Still... kind of a selling point, so not showing off even a couple is odd.  I'll keep my hopes low.

The problem is, yeah, he used the clown car in NSMB, but despite that its still something no one would've expected to happen in the likes of Smash, and I mean, Bowser has had his clown car since Super Mario World, and he still is grounded in spinoffs.

Bowser doesn't use the Clown Car because he doesn't NEED the Clown Car.  He's a physical juggernaut with dragon breath and black magic.  It would be fair to say that the Clown Car never actually made sense for Bowser, and as a consequence the various spin offs don't have him use it for anything other than transportation.

On the other hand, Bowser Jr. is too young to have developed all of Bowser's strength and abilities, so it makes a lot more sense for him to rely on something like the Clown Car to make up for that.  Hence, NSMB put them together.  And Smash Bros. hung on to the idea because it actually makes A LOT of sense.

Has it been specifically said that they were demos then, not the final game?  In 64 and Power Tennis, all the wacky courts were unlockable if I recall, with only down-to-earth courts available at the start.

Still... kind of a selling point, so not showing off even a couple is odd.  I'll keep my hopes low.

I think they likely will add stadiums, if nothing else they'll be added in an update. In these demos they seem to be implying they're playing the final build, but who knows? Its difficult to determine. Its entirely possible, maybe, there will be a day one patch that adds new content, I don't know.

Bowser doesn't use the Clown Car because he doesn't NEED the Clown Car.  He's a physical juggernaut with dragon breath and black magic.  It would be fair to say that the Clown Car never actually made sense for Bowser, and as a consequence the various spin offs don't have him use it for anything other than transportation.

On the other hand, Bowser Jr. is too young to have developed all of Bowser's strength and abilities, so it makes a lot more sense for him to rely on something like the Clown Car to make up for that.  Hence, NSMB put them together.  And Smash Bros. hung on to the idea because it actually makes A LOT of sense.

Bowser Jr. never needed it before either.

Bowser Jr. only had two games before deciding to use his Clown Car jr....before then, he never really did much. Couldn't even shoot fire back then.

Bowser Jr. never needed it before either.

In Sunshine he relied on the paintbrush and his Mario disguise, and in Galaxy he relied on an airship.  He may not have had the Clown Car from the start, but he was still clearly relying on things other than his own power.

Yeah, Jr. has always relied on tools over natural skills, which, to me, makes his boss fights far more interesting than his dad's.

In Sunshine he relied on the paintbrush and his Mario disguise, and in Galaxy he relied on an airship.  He may not have had the Clown Car from the start, but he was still clearly relying on things other than his own power.

I meant in sports games.

I like the idea of Bowser Jr. using machines and tools. It fits his character. He's supposed to be a spoiled brat of a kid. He's the villain's son who's not quite as strong as his dad, but is given all sorts of toys that give him an advantage. There's nothing really special that he can do by himself, and Bowser wouldn't wanna send his son out with nothing. 

best dad 

• Thumbs Up 7

I like the idea of Bowser Jr. using machines and tools. It fits his character. He's supposed to be a spoiled brat of a kid. He's the villain's son who's not quite as strong as his dad, but is given all sorts of toys that give him an advantage. There's nothing really special that he can do by himself, and Bowser wouldn't wanna send his son out with nothing. 

best dad 

Oh, I love the idea, I'm just surprised they suddenly added it to a sports game when he never did so before. The game may be severely lacking in content, and the Mario charm, but at least the characterization is still great, like Rosalina floating around and Bowser Jr. using the clown car.

Edited by JaidynReiman
  • Thumbs Up 1