Awoo.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash(Wii U)

Klinsy

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, look. We got Waluigi before Wario. That's an interesting twist...

Still barely shows anything about the game. We've now got a grand total of 7 characters revealed for the game (Luigi is on the boxart). Still, though, we'll probably gradually be seeing a lot more about this game in the leadup to its release in a few weeks.

Oh, look. We got Waluigi before Wario. That's an interesting twist...

Still barely shows anything about the game. We've now got a grand total of 7 characters revealed for the game (Luigi is on the boxart). Still, though, we'll probably gradually be seeing a lot more about this game in the leadup to its release in a few weeks.

8 actually, we have 2 sets now with: Mario, Luigi, Toad, Bowser, Peach, Daisy, Boo, and Waluigi. So far no new characters, but they said there will be

I wonder if Ultra Smash will have any amiibo support or special amiibo in general.

Waluigi and Daisy amiibo, please.

...yeeeeah.  This game is just so...nothing.  There's nothing here.  It's coming out in a month, they've shown hardly anything, and what little they have shown is hard to qualify as being worth anything at all.

This is like the video game equivalent of anime filler, and while I'm fully aware that pretty much goes without saying for all of the various Mario sports games, I've never actually felt this strongly about it before.  This game is somehow managing to be exceptionally useless to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 actually, we have 2 sets now with: Mario, Luigi, Toad, Bowser, Peach, Daisy, Boo, and Waluigi. So far no new characters, but they said there will be

When was Toad revealed? Yeah, I missed Toad.

...yeeeeah.  This game is just so...nothing.  There's nothing here.  It's coming out in a month, they've shown hardly anything, and what little they have shown is hard to qualify as being worth anything at all.

This is like the video game equivalent of anime filler, and while I'm fully aware that pretty much goes without saying for all of the various Mario sports games, I've never actually felt this strongly about it before.  This game is somehow managing to be exceptionally useless to me.

They'll be showing off more soon. They did say there would be new characters, but I don't get the point of revealing a new trailer now with no new info. Its definitely pointless.

As for it being filler, I totally think it is. I think Camelot just didn't want to release a new Golden Sun game at the end of the life cycle of the 3DS, but they wanted to push something else out quickly within a year (if they were producing a Mario Tennis/Golf for the NX they would've just started on them instead of having a filler Mario Tennis on Wii U).

I wouldn't even be surprised if they used Nintendo's Gamecube-to-Wii U game engine to port Mario Tennis on Gamecube to Wii U, and just change more things than what normally happens with a port, namely, the addition of new characters/stages. So, they're using this engine to port a game, but turning it into a new game essentially.

I wonder if Ultra Smash will have any amiibo support or special amiibo in general.

Waluigi and Daisy amiibo, please.

It won't have any new Amiibo if that's what you're thinking. They would've been announced months ago. Amiibo support? Maybe. But definitely not new Amiibo. Super Mario wave 2 will probably come next year at some point, though. Maybe Waluigi and Daisy could get Amiibo then.

So far it's nothing but tennis and mega mushroom. But I'm sure they got other modes in the game.

I'm already sold on it cause I like Mario tennis on the Wii and just regular mode or whatever. Beautiful HD graphics, new characters, music, and new Mario themed tennis courts.

Gotta have good controls too but I think it's safe that it will be good. 

If all that's good then im good.

If they add some other modes or stuff then cool. Other than that the game already looks fun to play and I want it.

Plus I already know whose going to be my main in this game. Freaking BOO! 

Edited by jords
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've never gotten any Mario Tennis games prior. I may pick this one up later. Not right away, though, unless they announce a character I really really want to see. Its just frustrating they haven't shown off anything new yet.

I have to say, the game and characters are graphically amazing and well animated. But everything else about this game just looks so empty and void. Yeah, the Tennis gameplay looks solid, but right now, this game looks like it's shaping up to be another Mario Tennis Open, a game that I'll play and enjoy for a while then stop and never play again.

The Mega Mushroom gimmick could be fun, but where are the other items? And what exactly triggers the Mega Mushrooms? It just looks like the Toads just toss them out onto the court whenever they want. And while the growing cutscenes look cool...They look like they'll get a bit annoying, especially when if someone triggers them right when you're ready to hit the ball. I want to enjoy new additions, not disable them like I did with the Power shots in Mario Power Tennis.

Sure, I bet that there's more to show, expecially characters since multiple popular ones are still absent, but the game is coming out in a month. So unless they step it up and reveal "much" more of what this game has to offer, confirm online and show that this game has much character as Power Tennis or even as much as Mario Golf World Tour then I might have to skip this one.

Edited by YoshiUnity the Clown

You know, it's funny to see people ripping this apart while ignoring the actual interesting stuff that has been shown or confirmed, although this does feel like it was made for a few weeks after E3, it's possible they decided to do a ramping up hype rout instead. For example, they have confirmed new characters will be coming, and they kept true with that both with Mario Kart and golf world tour. The Former got the Koopalings while the latter got Rosalina and Nabbit with minimal cloning really. Now with this series, lets do an assumption of minimal cuts (which means we now have Luma and Rosalina thanks to Open, and the latters popularity), and anyone with cross appearances in Kart are most likely safe. So easiest bet is that we're getting the Koopalings, but with Camelot at the wheel, it's possible that we could also get a few other characters with recent appearances such as Egad(LM:DM), and perhaps even Captain Syrup(Wario Land Shake It, and the only recurring Land character, and could easily slide into Tennis). Tennis is built off two things, it's roster and it's gameplay.

So the other thing that's being looked at the wrong way is the court base attributes changes. Most see it as "Oh no, we're only getting one court that gets reskins that changes it's attributes!" Instead it is actually the harbinger of each course in the game having greater flexibility, since every mario game has had multiple locales, now you can mix it further by adding or removing certain elements for the course, lets take a DKCTF course for example, by default it's a sliding ice course with occasional minion attacks, now you could be able to enjoy the course with normal movement physics(but still penguin attacks). Also it's likely the audience will be changed to suit each local as well, which is the advantage of these amazingly good looking 2D flat audiences that you won't even notice in the match

I will agree a major info blowout is needed, although the characters themselves are just as lively as ever in-game(also a version of the chance shot was in Power Tennis, why does everyone overlook that)

You know, it's funny to see people ripping this apart while ignoring the actual interesting stuff that has been shown or confirmed, although this does feel like it was made for a few weeks after E3, it's possible they decided to do a ramping up hype rout instead. For example, they have confirmed new characters will be coming, and they kept true with that both with Mario Kart and golf world tour. The Former got the Koopalings while the latter got Rosalina and Nabbit with minimal cloning really. Now with this series, lets do an assumption of minimal cuts (which means we now have Luma and Rosalina thanks to Open, and the latters popularity), and anyone with cross appearances in Kart are most likely safe. So easiest bet is that we're getting the Koopalings, but with Camelot at the wheel, it's possible that we could also get a few other characters with recent appearances such as Egad(LM:DM), and perhaps even Captain Syrup(Wario Land Shake It, and the only recurring Land character, and could easily slide into Tennis). Tennis is built off two things, it's roster and it's gameplay.

So the other thing that's being looked at the wrong way is the court base attributes changes. Most see it as "Oh no, we're only getting one court that gets reskins that changes it's attributes!" Instead it is actually the harbinger of each course in the game having greater flexibility, since every mario game has had multiple locales, now you can mix it further by adding or removing certain elements for the course, lets take a DKCTF course for example, by default it's a sliding ice course with occasional minion attacks, now you could be able to enjoy the course with normal movement physics(but still penguin attacks). Also it's likely the audience will be changed to suit each local as well, which is the advantage of these amazingly good looking 2D flat audiences that you won't even notice in the match

I will agree a major info blowout is needed, although the characters themselves are just as lively as ever in-game(also a version of the chance shot was in Power Tennis, why does everyone overlook that)

I hope you're right Mando. I mean, a lot of people are starting to get interested in Amiibo Festival now that more game modes have been announced. However, neither game has had any info since E3. Why is Amiibo Festival getting new info, and Mario Tennis only has simple court reskins (no actual new courts) and no new characters announced?

Yeah, we know they confirmed new characters are in the game. But how many? And why haven't they showed any off yet?

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope you're right Mando. I mean, a lot of people are starting to get interested in Amiibo Festival now that more game modes have been announced. However, neither game has had any info since E3. Why is Amiibo Festival getting new info, and Mario Tennis only has simple court reskins (no actual new courts) and no new characters announced?

Yeah, we know they confirmed new characters are in the game. But how many? And why haven't they showed any off yet?

It's the simplest answer: Their PR is still a mess with the loss of Iwata, and the current suspension of directs, however if MK8 is any precedence we are within two weeks or either a general or dedicated Mario Tennis direct, hosted by the primary director of the game. Also Amiibo Festival is now in the hands of journalists, while Mario Tennis is not.

It's the simplest answer: Their PR is still a mess with the loss of Iwata, and the current suspension of directs, however if MK8 is any precedence we are within two weeks or either a general or dedicated Mario Tennis direct, hosted by the primary director of the game. Also Amiibo Festival is now in the hands of journalists, while Mario Tennis is not.

I dont fault them to still feel the effects of Iwata's loss but if you have new info then then the logical thing is to release the information. Why have a trailer that doesnt reveal any new characters

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont fault them to still feel the effects of Iwata's loss but if you have new info then then the logical thing is to release the information. Why have a trailer that doesnt reveal any new characters

But it did, not new to the series is all, it seems like they planned a more gradual rollout, this trailer seems like it was intended for back in August. If I had to guess they planned to show off new and returning characters every few weeks, now I think it'll be weekly with a big blowout

But it did, not new to the series is all, it seems like they planned a more gradual rollout, this trailer seems like it was intended for back in August. If I had to guess they planned to show off new and returning characters every few weeks, now I think it'll be weekly with a big blowout

I know you that you know what I meant by new characters.

The only thing about this game is that nothing incredibly interesting was actually shown for it other that the tennis gameplay still looking solid, the game looking beautiful, a mega mushroom mode, a few screenshots and a release date. I'm well aware on why Nintendo has been a bit vacant on news lately. I doubt many have forgotten on Iwata's passing and what it means to the company. It's still very tragic on what happened, however, news has to be given out in order for cause hype for a title. Directs take a lot of effort, but Nintendo still has other ways to release information like they always had. Even if it's just screenshots, announcements and such, they could use their Twitter account, Treehouse videos or just distribute whatever to websites to keep people interested like they been doing with their other games. They used their twitter account to announce the released dates for this game. What's stopping them for using it for info?

As far as the "ramp up hype route" is concern -- whether it's handled well or poorly -- doesn't every game go through that? Every info released on a title is meant to ramp up hype is some shape or form. And for the likes of Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf World Tour had, info released at a much better rate than Ultra Smash is having now. What kept people going with these titles is that info was constantly given -- after the debut and a bit of silence -- and fans of those games were kept interested. As of now, this game has a month to generate some hype after almost half a year of silence, showing the same E3 build in events, and a release date. Hype wanes from that kind of stuff while cautiousness gains because we don't exactly know what to confirm or expect.

True, characters won't be much of a concern.. I'm sure that Yoshi, DK, Wario and possibly a few others will be in the game. And sure, possibilities for characters are massive. We had Honey Queen, Wiggler, Funky Kong and ROB in Mario Kart games and the Mario Sluggers character roster is insanely huge. But besides the normal stay-ins, nothing else can really be said on who gets or how many new faces we get. And as for courts,  Mario Tennis always had a stadium with multiple court types. But unless I'm missing something, nothing was confirmed on the courts actually being customizable.  It's only hoping for something that isn't even revealed.

I mean, Mario Tennis Open had a decent character selection, a nice amount of courts, online and modes. And it still felt shallow since it's presentation felt bare bones and lacking compared to previous titles, the characters some how felt like they had even less personalities, some of the extra modes grew stale quick and -- a strike on itself for being a handheld game and lacking this -- no RPG mode.  I'm not expecting this game to have anything like an RPG mode, the home console ones never did. But be it the awesome character cutscene skits, stronger portrayal of the characters, interesting extra modes or etc., they all had an extra something that made an overall good series in more enjoyable. So far, I see nothing like that with Ultra Smash.

I want to like Ultra Smash and I would like to want to buy it. I'm sure more screenshots, trailers and info is coming. But until then, I am not really looking forward to this game unless it really shows me something.

• Thumbs Up 2

Site page is up, however Full site is not yet completed or at least released, however it does confirm something that will make Tails spin happy

http://mariotennis.nintendo.com/ultra-smash/ , same info for the most part, but a silhouette confirms Yoshi, and we have control reconfirmation

Between the lines

Control your character’s every movement on the court, choosing the correct shot and timing it just right to outwit your opponent.
precision-control.jpg    
2v2.jpg

Ok, yeah, this is sounding a LOT better. I like both the Amiibo support and online play. This is already WAY better than we know. Frankly, I think online play is probably the thing that will win this game over for most, even if the game is lacking in game modes and other content. Granted, Open was online, but this is

Main thing we still need to see is more courts, since its just boring with only the standard court.

I wonder how they're going to handle Amiibo support. Will it only be the characters playable in Smash? Or will they announce Super Mario wave 2 with Wario, Waluigi, Rosalina, and Daisy, among other possibilities? Or will some characters just not be supported? (DK could be do, but I still think he'd be part of a DKC Amiibo line rather than Mario.)

Granted, they did randomly announce a new set of Animal Crossing Amiibo we didn't hear about prior. Its entirely possible they could be planning to release Super Mario Wave 2 with this game, or shortly after it launches.

Also, I really like Rosalina's outfit.

Looking at the roster of Mario Power Tennis and Mario Tennis Open:

Mario Power Tennis -

Starter: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Koopa Troopa, Boo, Shy Guy, Mii

Unlockable: Fly Guy, Paratroopa, Wiggle, Petey Piranha

Mario Tennis Open -

Starter: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Boo, Mii

Unlockable: Luma, Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Dry Bowser

This game still looks like it may have a distinct lack of characters.

Current roster: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Rosalina, Boo

Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong have been in both Mario Tennis Open and Mario Power Tennis as starters. They're probably both back, and both have Amiibo as well, so it makes sense they'd be back. But its weird why they'd be unlockable this time around. The only new addition to the starting roster is Rosalina.

I suppose its not lacking too much, though. Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong will definitely be unlockable. Unless GameXplain missed something and they are starters, Camelot just didn't show the full starting roster.

Both the last two Mario Tennis games had only four unlockable characters. Will there be more this time? Hard to say. If we take Amiibo into account, though, they could expand in one of several ways.

1.) Super Mario Amiibo line wave 2 is announced. This will have new Mario characters and MAYBE DK.

2.) They could add new DKC characters, who will be part of a DKC Amiibo line as well. Dixie, Cranky, and Funky are viable candidates. (King K. Rool is arguable. If he really did as well as speculated in the Smash Ballot, which will apply to more than just Smash, he's probably definitely returning to DKC.)

3.) They could expand into non-Mario Nintendo franchises and add characters based on the Smash Amiibo line, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc. Probably not too likely overall. Kirby and Animal Crossing are probably most likely.

4.) The rest of the characters won't get Amiibo. This could involve any characters really. Camelot could even add some of their own characters (Golden Sun) as special guests.

We'll have to wait and see how things play out. Here's hoping we get new courts announced next. We did get new info about online and Amiibo sooner than expected, so perhaps courts are the next thing they'll reveal, and we'll get info weekly until launch.

EDIT:

There's four "unknown" characters listed here. One Gold block (Bowser Jr? could be), one Red block (Diddy Kong), one purple block (I definitely think this is Nabbit), and one green block. The green block could possibly be Bowser Jr. as well, or it could be Petey Piranha.

Now the question is, are these "mystery" characters actually unannounced starters, or the only unlockable characters in the game?

Also, Kamek probably ISN'T playable. He appears in a special game mode where he tricks out your ball.

Also, they call the different styles of the ground "courts" in this trailer..

EDIT 2:

In regards to courts, they could easily have both different "courts" and "stadiums". So far no alternate stadiums have been announced yet, though.

I also have doubts on the Green ? Block being Petey Piranha, he's only been playable in one past Mario Tennis game. I think both Purple and Green are probably new characters, but its hard to say of course.

Edited by JaidynReiman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yup. amiibo support, called it. Online too? Sweet!

This game is getting more interesting. Liking the character roster so far as well.

Now I just wonder who the last characters are. Based on Camelot's statements I think two of them are likely new characters, but its really hard to say one way or the other.

Either way, two are definitely Diddy Kong and Bowser Jr.

Now I just wonder who the last characters are. Based on Camelot's statements I think two of them are likely new characters, but its really hard to say one way or the other.

Either way, two are definitely Diddy Kong and Bowser Jr.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to see Bowser. Jr added in this game.

I dunno, I just really like Bowser. Jr.

Hooray, we finally get Sports Outfit Rosalina ...but boo, it's probably in a game that's going to be mediocre at best! I AM CONFLICTED!

There better be a sweet ass render of her to mark this glorious occasion at the very least...

On a more serious note though, the game does look far better in this trailer than the one released, what, a day or so ago? Why didn't they just release this one and be done with it? But yeah, it's still not looking anything special as it stands - probably a bargain bin or stocking filler purchase at most for me. It looks fairly inoffensive, but really, that's the problem. It's way too pedestrian for its own good.

EDIT: Here's a gameplay video showing the new characters in action

EDIT 2: My word has been heeded! Renders ahoy!

RosalinaArtwork2-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jMario-running_-_MTUS.pngMarioArtwork-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpgLuigiArtwork-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpgPeachArtwork-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpgDaisyArtwork-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpgYoshiArtwork-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpgWarioWaluigi-MarioTennisUltraSmash.jpg

Edited by Doctor MK