Awoo.

Mario and Sonic in a platforming game.

ThePrinceOfSaiyans

I'm sure many folks have fantasized about the possibility of a game that would allow players to play as both Mario and Sonic in the same game. This, however, would be hard to do because their games, while similar, are also quite different. For starters, Mario isn't fast, or at least not as fast as Sonic, and slowing Sonic down would be inherently disappointing. Beyond that, co-op and Sonic haven't really meshed, based on what we've seen. My question for all of you is do you think it would be possible to create a competent game that incorporates both characters? If so, what would you personally suggest to make this type of game a possibility? All I've been able to conceptualize so far is getting Tails to make a speed suit for Mario. 

Just make Sonic play like Mario. It's not as if he has any kind of consistency in his gameplay anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

A platformer is totally possible.

Throw Mario in Sonic's world and vice versa, see how differently stages can be played using the different characters etc

Real question is with all the Sonic and Mario games out there why haven't they done this already?

Why do people want this again?

You could feasibly do it like Generations, but god no

Nintendo is much sager than the fans in realising that the games just don't marry that well outside a neutral territory

• Thumbs Up 1

What's wrong with a neutral territory game? If anything, the marrying of unique concepts by a visionary developer into something new could prove to have an interesting result. To me, them not being able to decide on how to progress and instead just giving us the Olympics games sounds more like egos butting heads than there being absolutely no one who could sit down and figure this out.

• Thumbs Up 4

I just had a basic idea for the whole thing. Why not just do a Banjo-Kazooie: combine the characters together somehow into one new entity and allow the player to either switch between each for their basic abilities (Sonic is fast and rolls, Mario is the jumper and can break certain blocks and things) or to combine their abilities and contextual situations like being airborne to pull off combos. Imagine a super jump where Sonic runs to gain the velocity Mario needs to launch them farther than normal, or rolling attacks that combine the use of some Mario power ups for invincibility. Make the moves feel as seamless as possible and I think that would be fun to play.

• Thumbs Up 4

well.. is not like SEGA has not made crossovers with nintendo before...

remember Sonic in Yoshy's island DLC? and Sonic and Legend of Zelda DLC?

though.. i agree.  its been a long time  since i'd wish they could team up with something with a story and not related to Olympic games or smash fighting..

something like.. by example, Mario can use a Sonic costume or dunno.. Sonic getting tiny when its damaged..

Eggman and Bowser teaming up not just for trolling around on the olympic games.. but yes to conquer the world its definetly something i'd like to see someday..

besides why is Mario and Sonic.. can't be Sonic and Mario? :lol: hahah

Edited by Drawloverlala

When I was around ten I was in love with the idea of a Mario and Sonic crossover platformer. Nowadays this particular concept just bores me.

From a gameplay perspective I don't see anything Mario can do that Sonic can't do also, if not better, so I can't imagine anything super fresh or appealing in this area.

Aesthetics-wise they would probably just stick to whatever is considered the most iconic for each franchise. So for Mario you'd probably get your traditional level environments like grass, snow, and lava and for Sonic they'd most likely ape something from either Sonic 1 or 2 for the umpteenth time.

I also can't imagine the plot being anything greater than what we got in Generations, so the appeal people find in potential character interactions or whatever would most likely be absent.

I don't mean to come off as a Negative Nancy, but from a realistic standpoint I just can't imagine the final product being particularly interesting. Of course I could be entirely wrong and if they ever do decide to approach this concept they do so in a manner which no one expects (here's hoping). Personally I wouldn't mind if instead they had a crossover with Sonic and Tails in a Mario and Luigi title or something. I feel like an RPG would probably be a better neutral ground than a platformer considering it causes both parties to abandon their most traditional gamplay elements for something new yet slightly familiar.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's one possibility that will never happen: Do it as a Storybook title.  "Sonic and the Mushroom Kingdom."

What are you talking about? Mario and Sonic were already in a platformer together!

this is probably as close as we're ever going to get

• Thumbs Up 4

Honestly I think Smash Bros. Brawl's Emissary (i.e. the video Cuddly Craddily linked above my post) kinda has a grasp on how it would work, in that both characters could be featured and playable in a different type of platforming gameplay-in other words, I agree on the "neutral territory" idea Nep was speaking in favor for. Not in the sense of a brawler, but namely a different style of platformer that uses gameplay mechanics and elements from both series. Presumably with Mario and Sonic having a simplified moveset from their respective series.

With that said, I also don't disagree with Diogenes' suggestion that they may as well have Sonic's gameplay use Mario's as a base; it may not be entirely representative of his series from a gameplay standpoint, but given Sonic's gameplay has been an inconsistent mess, I'd gladly have Sonic play like something that's at least tried-and-true. Presumably, they would take notes from SMB2/3D World and have Sonic's movement mechanics be altered from Mario's (i.e. much faster acceleration for walking / running speed, with less traction as the tradeoff, presumably with Sonic's signature rolling jump in place of a static jump).

As for visual aesthetics, I think this fanart has a pretty good take on meshing the two. Something like this would be nice.

mario_and_sonic_collision_by_phill_art-d

• Thumbs Up 2

The closest thing we'll have to a Mario and Sonic platformer in a while (if not ever) is Yoshi's Island DLC, Subspace Emissary and playing Yoshi's Wooly World with Mario and Sonic Yoshi skins.

No matter how many times we want more.