Awoo.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Wii U / 24th June 2016)

Junko

Illusory Revelations #FE is the long dormant Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem crossover announced back in 2013. It was then revived back at the April Fools Direct with a trailer that left... polarizing opinions.

We now recieved a new trailer today, showing off two of the FE characters and loads of the original characters.

And here are the waifus original characters screens from the trailer (oh and Tiki).

CHopsWnWcAEaS-g.png

CHoptW9WEAAUAEA.png

CHoptjbWcAEAgnA.png

CHoptWVWEAAM1To.png

Ooookay then, second trailer and I still don't know what to think of this. From what I understand, they've totally scrapped SMT and now it's more like a Persona/Fire Emblem crossover. But God the animu vibe is too much! Colourful flashy graphics, J-Pop, high school antics...and again, hardly any proper gameplay footage!

I...yeah, don't know what to think. .-.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it looks a bit better now but its still iffy. I probably will get it, but I'm not loving it really all that much.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was so excited after that first trailer, looked over the top and I loved it.

...today's trailer fucking blew. There's over the top, then there's bloody stupid.

Too much fanservice, extremely anime, barely any gameplay.

I'll probably pre-order it.

Also I KNEW IT WAS CHROM

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I guess it's at least confirmed that the obvious Chrom is Chrom. This was one seriously anime trailer, but I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt since ATLUS makes good games regardless of how cheesy they are or aren't.

Well, I guess it's at least confirmed that the obvious Chrom is Chrom. This was one seriously anime trailer, but I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt since ATLUS makes good games regardless of how cheesy they are or aren't.

I wasn't sure if it was Chrom or not. Later on I did become convinced, though. I also guessed correctly that the other Pegasus Rider was Caeda, so that's cool.

So, let's explain the Mirages (or the not-Personas)

“Mirages” are creatures from another dimension who start to invade the world. While some are evil, there are others who gain an affinity for humans who have “tremendous creative potential” and decide to use their power to defend humanity. Main characters fight as “Mirage Masters,” cooperating with the helpful Mirage beings to battle.

Also, character profiles for the main characters.
Itsuki Aoi
Mirage: Chrom

20150617_050115.png20150617_051448.png

Itsuki was an ordinary high school student, but after a certain event, he has awakened as a Mirage Master. He was practically forced into going to the show biz production company called “Fault Entertainment,” where his friends gather, but he doesn’t exactly share their love for the entertainment world.

Itsuki is described as a responsible and honest character, but he also has a bit of an obstinate side as well.

Chrom is a prince from a land in another dimension, and he’s a “Lord” Mirage. Since transferring to this world, he has lost his memories. He has a courageous personality, and a strong sense of justice. While in combat, he changes into a sword as a trusted partner for Itsuki, who isn’t very experienced in combat.

Tsubasa Oribe
Mirage: Shiida

20150617_052326.png20150617_053610.png

Tsubasa is Itsuki’s childhood friend, and she has also awakened as a Mirage Master together with him. She joins Fault Entertainment as a new idol. She’s a foolhardy but hard worker, and stays focused once her mind is set on something. She’s never discouraged by her constant blunders, and has an optimistic personality. She’s a big fan of her senior, named Kiria.

A “Pegasus Knight” Mirage, and Tsubasa’s partner. Similar to Chrom, she’s a visitor from another dimension and has no recollection of her memories. She has a tender-hearted personality, and is like an elder sister figure to the tomboyish Tsubasa. She lends her powers to Tsubasa by transforming into a spear in battle.

Toma Akagi
Mirage: Kain

20150617_054100.png20150617_054750.png

Toma is Itsuki and Tsubasa’s classmate. He’s a Mirage Master of Fault Entertainment who loves “henshin” (transformation) heroes. He’s a little frivolous in his speech and actions, but he’s the type that puts action before thoughts. He’s always wishing that he could be a hero, and is currently aiming to get the lead role in a Tokusatsu program called “Masqueraider”.

Kain is Toma’s “Cavalier” Mirage partner. Like Chrom, he’s from another world and has lost his memories. Due to his similarities with Toma, they’re like brothers who work well together. He transforms into a spear while in combat.

Kiria Kurono

20150617_055151.png

Kiria is a top musician who is supported by many young fans. She simply goes by “Kiria” and is a Mirage Master with high-level fighting abilities. She’s also referred to as the “cool beauty,” but not many people know her in her private life. She’s a senior figure who leads Itsuki and the others.

Eleonora Yumiziru

20150617_060108.png

Eleonora is a Mirage Master and successful actress. She’s half Caucasian and admires Hollywood actresses. Her nickname is “Ellie”. She’s younger than Itsuki, but she’s a celebrity, and is his senior when it comes to her career as a Master. She behaves like an older sister and has a caring personality, and is one of the best looking members of Fault.

Maiko Shimazaki

20150617_060822.png

Maiko is the president of the production company “Fault Entertainment” that recruits Mirage Masters. She is like a mother figure to the Mirage Masters. She’s a drinker, and has worked as a gravure idol in the past. Maiko is sharp and has quick wits, and cares about her production company comrades more than anyone.

Tiki

20150617_061254.png

Tiki is the key visual character of a vocal software called “Singaloid TiKi” that is currently a huge hit among Internet users. It’s currently an ongoing trend with the youngsters to upload new songs by Tiki on the Internet.

Not that I'm not looking forward to this game, but it barely seems like a crossover, it's more like Persona with cameo character designs.  It's a shame SMT IV already happened, because you could easily replace Mikado with Archanea or Tellius and you'd already have an interesting setup for how the worlds are interrelated.

I think Nintendo should've called this Atlus X Intelligent Systems back when they first announced it, because this is definitely not a crossover between SMT and Fire Emblem. instead, it feels more like its own unique thing, but with Persona-esque gameplay and Fire Emblem cameos. I think people wishing for this to be a crossover of the two franchises need to just let it go because it's its own thing now. Sorry you didn't get what you wanted but...

The female character designs are KILLING ME

eh, I'll get over it, game looks extremely fun

• Thumbs Up 1

>ordinary high school student

>childhood friend

Yo, it's like they're literally scratching the bottom of the barrel for Anime cliches lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

>ordinary high school student

>childhood friend

Yo, it's like they're literally scratching the bottom of the barrel for Anime cliches lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

Did a thing on my alt account. As it turns out, this is one of the Mirage Masters at Fault Entertainment, Kiria Kurono. She's a profile further up in the topic.

So, it appears this game is basically a new IP now with elements of both FE and SMT. Granted, it does feature ACTUAL FE characters, but even they are heavily redesigned.

I didn't even notice the goddamn song

..yet I noticed the similar outfits. Anyways;

STAY FRESH!

Some interesting tidbits in this interview

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-fire-emblem-shin-megami-tensei-crossover-is-pe/1100-6428306/ 

The Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei Crossover is Persona with Fire Emblem Heroes

Persona Emblem?

Genei Ibun Roku # FE, the working title of the Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei crossover project in development with Nintendo and Atlus (and loosely translated as "Mirage Spinoff # FE") is the result of one woman's passion for Fire Emblem.

In an interview at E3, Fire Emblem producer and Nintendo group manager Hitoshi Yamagami told GameSpot that a Nintendo employee who loved Atlus games initially came up with the idea.

"In our team at Nintendo Co., Ltd, there's a woman who really loves the Shin Megami Tensei series," Yamagami explained. "This is how this all started. And when she started this conversation within the company, we were working with Atlus at the time on a purikura [decorative photography] program for DSi and 3DS. At the time she said, 'Mr. Yamagami, there's something I would like to do. I want to make a game that mixes Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei.' And we said, that's exciting, let's give it a shot! But when we brought it to Atlus, they said, we'd like to but we can't, we're busy."

Yamagami said that Nintendo abandoned the idea, until two years later Atlus approached them to revive the concept.

"When they asked if I wanted to [work with Nintendo], I was heading the Devil Survivor series," added Atlus producer Shinjiro Takada. "So once that series finished, two years after that conversation, I said, let's give this a shot."

Initially the companies began building a turn-based strategy game in the style of previous Fire Emblem games. But as pre-production wrapped up and concepts were starting to take shape, both developers realized it was the wrong approach for their collaborative project.

"From Nintendo's point of view, because it's Fire Emblem, we thought, let's make this a turn-based strategy game," Yamagami said. "In the beginning, even Atlus wanted to make it a turn-based strategy, but after finishing the concept for it, I said, no, don't do this, if you do something like this, it's something [Fire Emblem developer] Intelligent Systems could just make with the main series.

"Do something we can't do. That's when we decided to make it a JRPG set in modern Japan."

After this, initial designs were scrapped and Atlus started over making a JRPG in their own company style. It--like the Persona games--would be set in present day Japan and incorporate the more fantastical Fire Emblem elements as foreign presences from an alternate world, much like Shin Megami Tensei's demons.

"If you're going to be very strict about it, it is a Shin Megami Tensei game, but it's only similar to it, it's not exactly like Shin Megami Tensei," Takada explained. "But we put Fire Emblem elements into that kind of framework."

The game is set in modern-day Tokyo and focuses on two students, Itsuki and Tsubasa. The world is attacked by mysterious entities from another world, and the only people who notice are a talent agency. The two heroes join the agency and become pop stars on their quest to rid the world of these evil beings.

Fire Emblem characters appear in Genei Ibun Roku # FE as Persona-type entities called Mirages. In footage shown by Nintendo in trailers, we've already seen Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening and Pegasus Knight Sheeda from the Akaneia Fire Emblem series, re-designed in "Atlus-style" with darker, more fantastical looks. Takada was careful to point out that the Fire Emblem characters we see in the game aren't the same exact people that appear in other Fire Emblem games; they are new versions of the characters created specifically for the crossover.

"One of the reasons [we made Fire Emblem characters Mirages] is because since it's an RPG in modern times, we can't have a Pegasus Knight suddenly show up and have the player think that it all makes sense," Yamagami explained. "Because Fire Emblem has its own world, we had to have these characters enter the modern world as visitors from a mirror dimension, called the Idolosphere. And as there are ally units like Chrom and Shiida who come from this world, there are also antagonists that come from that world as well and want to destroy our world."

Mirage Masters are the crossover's Persona users, individuals who attract the attention of Mirages both good and evil and who can partner up with them to attack. The main characters of the game, Itsuki and Tsubasa, partner up with Chrom and Shiida respectively, the latter pair transforming into the weapons the teenagers use and alternate the pair's appearances.

Yamagami and Takada also explained why the game is so heavy on Japanese pop idol culture and why so many characters are shown singing.

"This is why the characters are all entertainers: in Japan, similar to Greek mythology, there's the idea of the gods being connected to the arts," Takada said. "It's a shamanistic element that's been interpreted by Atlus. The idea is, Japanese priestesses would dance and the dancing would bring them closer to the gods. We wanted to spin this in an Atlus way, so all the characters in the game have some connection to the arts, and that connection and their ability to express themselves attracts the Mirages to them. People who are good at singing or dancing or acting have really strong bonds with Mirages."

Combat in Genei Ibun Roku is a mix of top-level mechanics from both Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei. The Fire Emblem triangle-model of weapon mastery is present; the relationship between swords, spears, and axe weapons have different strengths and weaknesses and will determine how effective characters' weapons are against others. On top of this is the Shin Megami Tensei combat staple of having to identify and exploit an enemy's weaknesses. According to the developers, these two mechanics were a perfect fit together and easy to incorporate, giving the crossover project a true touch of both series' combat flair.

Another interesting combat feature is characters' special attacks, which are tied to songs. Throughout the game, some side stories will lead to a character releasing a song, which in turn will grant them another attack ability. This was added because developers wanted to give players a meaningful reward for completing side missions, much in the way completing side missions in Fire Emblem games allow you to recruit additional characters.

That being said, despite the modern setting and prominent pop-idol elements, it sounds like the game will feel at home in the hands of longtime Fire Emblem fans. Yamagami suggested that players who have been with the series for a while will have a different, deeper understanding of the game than series newcomers.

"What I'm most proud about this game is the fact that despite everything that we've said about it, as you play through the story, you'll realize that, what happens happens for a reason, because this game is inspired by Fire Emblem," he said. "So as a Fire Emblem fan, you'll recognize why things are happening; it's happening because it's Fire Emblem."

This in particular may help explain a thing or two

Yamagami and Takada also explained why the game is so heavy on Japanese pop idol culture and why so many characters are shown singing.

"This is why the characters are all entertainers: in Japan, similar to Greek mythology, there's the idea of the gods being connected to the arts," Takada said. "It's a shamanistic element that's been interpreted by Atlus. The idea is, Japanese priestesses would dance and the dancing would bring them closer to the gods. We wanted to spin this in an Atlus way, so all the characters in the game have some connection to the arts, and that connection and their ability to express themselves attracts the Mirages to them. People who are good at singing or dancing or acting have really strong bonds with Mirages."

• 3 weeks later...

Genei Ibun Roku #FE is going to be 30 hours.

• Fire Emblem characters are being selected from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Others will also appear as friends, or as enemies or masterminds.
  • Characters are selected based off things such as their popularity ranking data. Both Cain and Abel will also appear.
  • Characters that appeared as enemies in Fire Emblem will appear as enemies in this game.
  • The main story takes about 30 hours to clear. The side stories and such take about the same amount of time.
  • The game is currently in the debugging and balance adjustments stage. All of its features have already been implemented.
  • This is being called a Fire Emblem and Atlus collaboration, but it’s a completely new RPG that any RPG fan can enjoy.

I think this game might end up being quite good honestly.

They shouldn't have called this SMT X FE in the first place though because now it's being judged on that when it never really was. That teaser trailer was a lie.

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point it's just an Atlus RPG with Fire Emblem characters and influence to the gameplay.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

They shouldn't have called this SMT X FE in the first place though because now it's being judged on that when it never really was. That teaser trailer was a lie.

Yeah I think this might be the biggest VG rug-pull of the year for me. I really want that teaser to be the actual game too, good luck for those that are looking forward to the game. Too bad I wont be one of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just Shadow Dragon and Awakening?

Well that's very disappointing, no one even cares about Shadow Dragon's characters except for Marth, Tiki, Caeda, Minerva, and the original Red and Green Caviliers Cain and Abel.

But they also said the characters would be based off popularity, so I'm expecting Lyn, Hector, Tharja, Lucina, Ike, Robin, Soren, Seth, Titania, Joshua, Lute, Emphiram, Erika, Batre, and some other fan fav characters appearing then.

No idea for if/Fates, but the Royal Families are already popular as they are already so who knows.