Monkey Destruction Switch

MDS's art & graphic creations

I decided to do this because I wanted to. :P I deeply appreciate any feedback, comments, criticism, likes, etc.!

My most recent (done entirely yesterday & today):

HoneyBunsSmaller_zps2hzjqiz8.png

Archie Sonic fans will get it :P

(The character in an Omega recolor costume is Buns, a version of Bunnie Rabbot from an alternate dimension.)

Here are some other artworks that look OK to me. The resolution is tiny I know, bigger versions on my Tumblr.

ClassicSupermanKnucklesSmall_zpscvp5eimi

ClarklesKentchidnaLittle_zpsjacnankx.png

(also my avatar, but I might change it sometime, so, here it is :P)

IndignantShadowColorLittle_zpsd2jx4owu.p

ClassicBoomSonicSmall_zpsentu72l7.png

This was supposed to be a combination of Classic Sonic and Boom Sonic, but it mostly just looks like Boom Sonic. eh

HeDontChuckleSmall_zpshkni10ji.png

Expect more art when I make more art and/or feel like posting more old art :P

WOWWwww, it's been a while, hasn't it?

SpectreSmall_zpsws5ll52k.png

This is my most recent work. It's a redesigned version of Spectre the Echidna, a *gasp* Ken Penders character. How noxious. I actually came up with the redesign a while ago, but this is a new drawing. The coloring is rather messy, but I was trying something new. It's bigger on dA.

Here's something from a month or two ago, a roboticized Knuckles:

chunky_little_mecha_knuckles_smaller_zps

I like the cute and chunky look and the coloring is pretty good by my standards. The feet are pretty bad, though, as is the right hand.

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch

A quick little redesign of Jules the Hedgehog, nothing too drastic or special. The coloring is horrible, I know, and I'll make it much better before I upload it to Tumblr or dA. He's pretty young in this picture, I guess. It's more Classic Sonic-based.

YoungJules_zps98jyk3if.png

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch

I did both of these a while ago, but only finished the shading on one of them today. Presenting, the first two entries in what I hope will be a series of Sonic visual puns!

sonic_visual_pun__1_by_paperechidna-d9ls

sonic_visual_pun__2_by_paperechidna-d9uy

The first one is a little hard to get, but just wait for it xD

Man, I really want to get back into drawing. (Well, at least I never stop doodling!) Hopefully, expect more updates in the near future.

^ This is a few months late, but thank you very much ^^'

I'm just going to post a bunch of old drawings for funsies. These range from very old to...less old.

MeokhJO.jpg

I tried to redesign Kragok, a villain by Ken Penders. I didn't really do much with him, but I found this slightly funny, so I decided to post it :P He's giving a talk if you couldn't tell.

PzOkKMz.jpg?1

An attempt at redesigning Julie-Su; I tried to incorporate some Nocturnus influence. I had some kinda okay ideas here. One of the only times I've ever used foreshortening :P It didn't work out so well for her gun...

K9zL7Ea.jpg

A later, unrelated redesign of Julie-Su. I kinda think she looks sorta cute and awkward here, I guess?

byCpNR7.jpg

This was a screenshot redraw based on Superman: The Animated Series. The proportions aren't great, especially his tiny torso (particularly considering who he is...), but I was pleased with myself when I did it because I rarely ever draw humans, never mind a full-body picture with an interesting pose...even though it was very directly based on something and thus not too impressive...and he's, uh, not actually a human, he's a Kryptonian...but whatever :P

vQqUBEs.jpg

Classic Tails <3

OqIJltl.jpg

This is one of my Neopets. He's literally a dog made out of snot wearing a scarf and bunny slippers. 'Cause that's Neopets for you.

smiley_by_paperechidna-d9gd2rf.png

An original character who would probably appear in kids' media of some sort, if she appeared in anything. Her name is Smiley and she's a six-year-old sabertooth cat.

I'll try to post more "complete" stuff here soon, as well as new stuff, though I may keep posting old sketches too. I didn't draw much this past school year, I definitely want to get into it again over the summer.

Yesterday, I learned that in Pokemon Stadium 2, Falkner (a Flying-type Gym Leader) sometimes says a certain phrase.

EL17UM5.png

Immediately, I knew what I had to do.

playtime_is_over__by_paperechidna-da5gvd

Probably one of the weirdest motives for making art I've ever had.

In case you can't tell, he's dressed up as Falkner :P His Generation II design to be specific, since that's when Pokemon Stadium 2 was released. I'm pretty happy I could crank this out in a day.

I've learned that I strongly prefer traditional painting to digital coloring, so I think that's what I'll do from now on.

It's only been a little over a year, so maybe I should update this, lol. However, I've gotten more into making graphic creations rather than original drawings, so this topic's purpose will expand to include the former!

Wallpapers

grunge_style_paint_sonic_by_paperechidna

Grunge-Painted Sonic
Download on DeviantArt

sonic_adventure_knuckles_master_emerald_

Sonic Adventure - Knuckles Master Emerald
Download on DeviantArt

These are old (especially the last one, which was from several years ago), but I guess it couldn't hurt to post my Superman wallpapers here too. I worked hard on all of these and I'm really pleased with the results.

lc-clark-and-superman-wall.png

superman-embroidered_wall.png

superman_tas_clark_kent_wall.png

You can download them all from my website.

On 11/24/2017 at 5:31 PM, Mightyray said:

I like the last wallpaper! That one has gotta be my fave.

Thanks! I'm still very fond of it too, even with how old it is.

Recently I've finally gotten back into drawing again, thanks to various causes for inspiration, among them getting ideas for characters that I want to bring to life. Most of my character ideas are humans, though, and I'm not too experienced with drawing those, as throughout my whole life I've mostly stuck to anthropomorphic animals. It's definitely been a good thing as it's caused some much-needed growth in that department. It feels very satisfying to finally get to the point where I can draw a cartoon human head quickly and easily, just as I've always been able to do with various non-human creatures. I guess I see that in the past, I didn't want to stretch and grow as an artist and instead wanted to stick with what I could already draw well, barely even wanting to try if I couldn't get good results right away, and was too willing to accept things as being beyond me because of initial attempts not working out well. I guess that's symptomatic of my life in general: too scared of being bad at anything, so I'm discouraged by a lack of immediate success...but if you're not willing to be bad at something for a while, you can't get good at it. Definitely shows that I need to stop thinking of things in black-and-white terms of failure and success and instead need to have more of a mindset of learning, growing, and getting better with time.

Uh...anyway, with that introspection out of the way, here's a drawing of one of my characters, Avery Mastick. The color in this scan aren't quite as good as the original, maybe next time I'll actually digitally color instead of using colored pencils. Try to ignore the bad proportions of everything below his neck, learning to draw human heads is hard enough for me, bodies are sure to take even longer!! =p

tumblr_p2h7skHlur1sh865qo1_r1_540.png

Altogether, it might not look like much. It's definitely just a simple straightforward drawing, and in fact it didn't take me long to draw. But trust me, it took a lot for me to get to even this level as far as drawing humans goes. It took a couple of days of pushing through drawings that I was not satisfied with at all, and for me, that is not easy. At times it was very discouraging.  I thrive on being able to quickly churn out drawings that look pretty good - stuff that doesn't come naturally, not so much. But it was so worth it, because I can tell how much I've improved in the span of a few short days. I drew this drawing rather quickly, but it looks so much better than any of the sketches of this character I did even just yesterday, and those sketches look a lot better than those I drew the day before. I can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store ;)

So, uh, anyway, about this character. Well, I wrote up this little blurb for him:

"Avery is a well-known and popular male racecar driver whose body is made entirely out of bubble gum. The public doesn't really know where he comes from or how this is possible. However, the bizarre and inexplicable yet endearing trait of his entire physical self consisting of a tasty pink confection contributes to his popularity, as do his surprisingly large amount of manliness, good looks and physique (considering he's made of sugared food grade rubber), good racing skills, and self-confident and snappy, if occasionally aggressive and standoffish, attitude. If he's irritable at times, it's probably because life with a bubble gum body can actually be pretty challenging at times, but he tries to not let on to any weakness. He wants to be admired and respected, not pitied. And so far, he's doing pretty good at achieving that. He not only refuses to let being made out of gum hold him back, he refuses to acknowledge it's a problem at all. Sometimes this gets him in trouble, even though generally he's good at managing life with his 'condition'.

Overall, Avery Mastick's life is going in a good direction, but there's still a lot for him to navigate: endorsement, sponsorship, and merchandising deals, romance, success on the track, and sometimes just problems arising from the whole 'body consists of chewing gum' thing. Then there's his family and mysterious past. His father, or the man who's known as his father, is just a seemingly normal man, and he has a strained relationship with him. That's about all the public knows. How did he actually come into existence? It's a mystery, and it's a story Avery doesn't seem to want to tell..."

OK, so it's a bit of an...erm...odd premise. But what can I say, I like it that way! I've been thinking about this character and daydreaming stories about him for a while now, so it's exciting to finally be able to draw him (though it was intimidating at first!). I would like to draw some comics starring him someday in the hopefully not-too-distant future. I just need to figure out how to draw human bodies...and the other characters in the story...and cars...and backgrounds...and perspective...well, I'll get there, eventually. xP (Learn a lesson from this and don't stagnate as an artist, kids!)

I like the sound of your OC and I'd love to know more about him! If you're interested in getting better at human anatomy I can recommend you this website http://www.proko.com

The artist who runs is very good at getting the point across with out it being needlessly complicated. Thanks to that site I've been learning how to draw characters head from different view points a lot better than what I used to do.

1 hour ago, Mightyray said:

I like the sound of your OC and I'd love to know more about him! If you're interested in getting better at human anatomy I can recommend you this website http://www.proko.com

The artist who runs is very good at getting the point across with out it being needlessly complicated. Thanks to that site I've been learning how to draw characters head from different view points a lot better than what I used to do.

Thanks a lot for the link! I feel like I may have seen videos from them before but forgot about them, haha. I'm sure it will be a big help. Just searching Google Images can only get you so far.

Another pic of Avery, one of my first "serious" attempts at human anatomy I guess, there are definitely some problems such as his arms being too long and his chest being more muscular than the rest of him, but I'm still fairly happy considering my lack of experience, you know? The hands are even not that bad by my standards (I'm usually awful at them). I may have overdone it on the muscles in general, maybe he shouldn't be that buff, but well...what can I say, I like drawing what I like to look at ;p (Also probably doesn't help that most of my few previous attempts at anatomy tended to be drawing Superman of all people!) Also the pic is just rough inking, I didn't even erase the pencil =P

tumblr_p2l3wyeLoG1sh865qo1_540.jpg

I'm definitely going to aim to update this topic WAY more going forward. Of course, school is about to start, but I'll still try to draw if I can!