Awoo.

ScrewAttack weighs in on why people don't like Sonic

ThePrinceOfSaiyans

Oh boy...

I'll leave my response to the video here:

So wait, you're blaming the fans for what SEGA has done? Why should the fans be to blame for the various gameplay styles that have created the fractures? Before Sonic Adventure, the last main title was Sonic 3 and Knuckles, so no one was asking for varied gameplay styles. Sonic Adventure was SEGA's decision, not a result of people clamoring for "perfect Sonic game". Furthermore, we won't have good Sonic games ever again, huh? Hmm, I must have imagined the critically acclaimed Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations. I mean, I'll agree the divided fanbase is why we so rarely see good Sonic games, but blaming Sonic fans for having an opinion is such a crock of shit. There wouldn't be a divide if SEGA didn't try introducing unique gameplay styles in Sonic Adventure onwards. Also, what's the deal with the furry hate, and how is it relevant to the discussion? That sub-culture has no barring on the quality of Sonic games
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just like articles saying Sonic is dead or needs to be dead, this is just a video begging for attention. It weighs in on another commonly used excuse of "It's the fans' fault." So the whole video is a cry for attention which is best ignored.

Also, Sonic created furries? hahaha lolno. Excuse me, but anthromorphic characters have been around for as far as the NINETEENTH CENTURY. So that is a load of bull directly on the spot.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh look, another article that talks about how sonic is dead/sucks and gives reasons for such that are either completely asinine or completely obvious.

Haven't seen many of those in the past decade.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh this video can fuck right off.

''OH, THE FANS ARE TO BLAME!!!!!''

Here's a bit of news from you, all fanbases are going to complain about a direction of a game series, so don't start fucking acting like Sonic fans only do it. Metroid fans didn't like the newly announced Prime game, a lot of people had backlash against Arkham Origins due to being developed exclusively by WB Games, instead of Rocksteady, and so many other cases. Of course a majority of the fanbase is going to dislike a game decision. 

But here's the thing, that's only a section of the fanbase. Trying to act like a fanbase should be syncing in perfect harmony on what they want is totally idiotic. Many people want a new Genesis styled game while I personally don't because the only Genesis Sonic game I liked was 3 & Knuckles. Many others like me want a new Adventure or Boost game but others are going to want a new 2D game. There's no way a fanbase is going to agree on this.

But don't you fucking dare blame them for Sega's idiotic decisions. When Generations came out and became Sonic's big hit, reviving him and flinging him straight back into his glory days, you can be damn well sure the fans weren't saying ''OH, GIVE US SOME NEW EXPERIMENTAL GAMEPLAY'' like we got in Lost World. I'm pretty sure most fans were at least happy we were finally getting what was a solid formula that Sega were building upon with each game. Then Lost World happened, and went straight back into experimental gameplay, something I think the majority of fans didn't want.

If Sega were really listening to the fans, they would be either trying to expand on three areas: 2D Portable Games (Genesis games/Advance games are always regarded as best in the series), the Adventure formula, (which many regard as the best 3D Sonic formula), and finally the Boost era, (which is regarded as Sonic's revival after 06 and a return to glory). What you can be damn well sure of is that no one asked for more experimental crap after getting 10 years of it, a crappy brawler which takes away the main point of Sonic: his speed, and finally a 3DS sequel to a game that's totally meh, and the sequel looks exactly the same as Shattered Crystal. Fans didn't ask for any of this, and somehow it's us to blame?

If anything, fans were asking for a formula to be kept, and then built upon, the same way it's been done for Mario. If you want any true issue with Sega and Sonic, it's the fact Sega seem to be too frightened to actually hold onto a formula that works and expand upon it, and they end up fucking it up and throwing Sonic's name in the toilet again.  I mean, for the 3D era alone, they struck gold 2 different times with the Adventure and Boost formulas. In the 2D era, they struck it 3 different times between the Genesis games, Advance games, and Rush series, and yet they still won't just take a formula that is well received and just stick with it, making changes and making it as good as possible. 

Recap: Fuck this video.

• Thumbs Up 2

Being a furry doesn't mean you have a furry fetish. How is it that this is still being confused?

On top of that, are we really condemning regular people who happen to be furries? I swear to god, videos like these swarm the internet like a plague.

I'm honestly a bit aloof about what people think of Sonic since everyone have their two cents about why the Sonic fanbase sucks, but a lot of this is just soooooo stupid and baseless.

I mean, like, I recall at one point that Zelda fans were livid when they saw Wind Waker's look when it was in development. 

Fanart (and by extension Fan Characters) exist with pretty much every franchise as well. I've seen Zelda OCs, I've seen Mario OCs, I've seen goddang Spongebob OCs. It's ridiculous how many people eat this kind of misinformation up, and completely agree with it without even putting the forethought to step up and actually confirm that it's true.

This video is so wrong in so many ways. Nah, the reason why Sonic sucks so bad has nothing to do with SEGA making bad decision after bad decision and them having no idea how to come up with a decent gameplay style that won't be thrown out in the next game, it's all because of furries and people who like different things. 

There are countless franchises that had all sorts of different continuities in different countries. Mario had a tonne of media in the Americas, Europe, and Asia and I don't see Mario in a flaming heap of shit. And I don't even understand how fans are even to blame for this. I didn't know that franchises could be ruined and the blame would be on some people who like a different cartoon or comic than the rest. 

If this video is seriously trying to say a reason why Sonic is so bad is because of some drawings on the internet, then I have no words. And they are trying to say Sonic create furries!? What? They do know there were animal themed things that uh...turned people on before Sonic, right?

And with how the video treats Shadow: I don't know what is this video's fascination with just blaming things for just existing instead of how they are treated and used. The reason why Shadow The hedgehog was so cringeworthy was because of all the guns, which this video acknowledges, but then they blame SA2 for just having Shadow, who was a pretty good character. Shadow was handled really well in SA2, but nope, according to this video, he's a terrible character for being new. 

Most of this video has nothing to do with why Sonic truly is bad anyway. It barely even talks about the games. Blaming a whole series because some people draw weird shit and have different opinions is stupid, inane, and so far away from where the real blame is to be. 

If you are going to have this sort of attitude to ANY franchise and their fan base, then you are never going to like anything ever again. 

And I don't want to become insulting, but that woman's voice is piercing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I dunno about you guys, but I can't help but find this video hilarious.

At the start of her rant, the creator pointed out that both the Western and Japanese divisions of Sega ended up creating different interpretations of Sonic (which in turn created the oh-so-responsible fanbase that is killing the series), and even went on on to admit that Sega "messed up" for not having a cohesive image for Sonic worldwide. And because once wasn't enough, she points this out again when discussing Sonic Adventure and Shadow the Hedgehog, and even points out that a factor why the games Sega started making to factions of the fanbase didn't make them happy was because "most of the games suck really bad".

And yet, in spite of acknowledging those point, the creator goes on to conclude that the fanbase, through the internet, console wars, and supposedly having control over Sonic Team's work schedule among other things, were still responsible for the decline of the series. Despite all of the above evidence she herself highlighted in her video points out the contrary.

The creator of the video effectively destroyed her own argument at the beginning of her rant. lmao

I swear you can make a drinking game to these. Take a shot if:

*Every Sonic game in the past 10 years has been bad.

*Every Sonic game in the past 17 years has been bad.

*Sonic was never good to begin with.

*Sonic's shitty friends can go take a trip on a bus over a cliff.

*It's the Sonic fanbase's fault.

*Furries.

*Steroid Knuckles.

*Bestiality

*Sanic, Sanic Boom, Super Sanic Racing, or any variation thereof.

Seriously, these tools have nothing new to say that every other pile of wank that can make an internet blog hasn't already said.

I started watching it but I got so annoyed at her voice and "hey guys I'm talking on the Internet!" intonation that closed the tab! :D

Tbh this kind of message is boring; it's been done, we get it, the Internet and the world(!) hates Sonic fans. Who cares?!

Sure the series has a lot to complain about, but geez change the record, lady.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, ignore it. This is ScrewAttack, the people who love to hate Sonic. Remember all the Worst Sonic countdowns they've done. Just don't trust them when it comes to Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not even watching this video, your reactions is all I need to determine what's wrong with this video.

So they're blaming us instead of Sega? Good job ScrewAttack.

I never watch videos like this, and I'm certainly not going to make an exception today.

If anyone ever creates a "Why Sonic is terrible" video that actually says something new or interesting as opposed to regurgitating the same cliches ad infinitum, be sure to let me know, but until then, I don't care.

I've never even heard of ScrewAttack before, but why should I be arsed to care about her when it seems that she's just regurgitating the most common criticisms with little personal thought for clickbait

I mean, think about it, bashing Sonic will almost always = views and the first 20 seconds of her video is her talking about something to do with Ads and revenue and whatnot. Why should I care about this person when she's just extorting a gaming stigma against a series for cash

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I think people aren't liking some of his newer games because the whiny part of the fanbase either doesn't know what they want or is just trying to make reasons to bash the game "This is just Mario Galaxy rip-off!" even though it's similar because Nintendo was helping with development. A lot of people are following these things because they simply think it is cool even though it's not cool to try and destroy a series with quadrillions of loyal fans all over the world. With 06 and Boom Wii U, I understand that but now they're starting to bash Sonic simply because he's Sonic

I don't know seems pretty accurate to me.

Well except for the "Sonic made Furries" bit. That was the abundance of Anthropomorphic cartoon characters in the 90's in general.

lol, I can think of several reasons not to like Sonic (the quality of the games????).... but this was just painful to sit through. We could be a lot better as a fanbase, but most, if not all game franchises, do not have perfect fanbases.

Really lady, if you want to make a compelling argument, don't speak for the majority and go out of your way to antagonize furries. I get so sick of pretentious moronic individuals going out of their way to talk shit about the furry fandom when they know nothing of it and do it for the sake of ridiculing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

You'd think after years of experience we'd learn to stop reacting to anything with "ScrewAttack" and "Sonic" in the same sentence.

• Thumbs Up 1

So based on the comments here alone, basically the video is the usual shit we've been hearing since around Sonic 06.

Hey, ScrewAttack. Care to weigh in on how unoriginal you are parroting this stuff? This has been going on for almost a decade...

You'd think after years of experience we'd learn to stop reacting to anything with "ScrewAttack" and "Sonic" in the same sentence.

Yeah, but admittedly, this is the kinda shit we get on about when we don't have much shit to do.

....well, ScrewAttack has DeathBattle, where Sonic and Tails won over the Mario Bros.

To be fair, I'm sorta new here XD.

To be fair, I'm sorta new here XD.

Well to help you fit right in: basically any article or video on the internet talking about why people don't like Sonic or why Sonic isn't doing well is practically no different to other articles written in the last several years.

I think the ONLY critic who has made a video about why Sonic hasn't been doing well, and actually got it right to where we all agreed with him, was Jim Sterling in his Jimquisition video. (can't remember what it was called tho)

• Thumbs Up 3

Well to help you fit right in: basically any article or video on the internet talking about why people don't like Sonic or why Sonic isn't doing well is practically no different to other articles written in the last several years.

I think the ONLY critic who has made a video about why Sonic hasn't been doing well, and actually got it right to where we all agreed with him, was Jim Sterling in his Jimquisition video. (can't remember what it was called tho)

I believe it was called How Invention Killed a Hedgehog.