Awoo.

FANGAME: Super Sonic Knockout - DEMO 5

VexusVersion

By all means do so Jet.

While I'm here, I just want to point out progress is very slow. Busy with work and all that. I have been able to program some more throws, as the plan is to give everyone a throw (looking back, it was a bad decision to have throwing be available only to some). Throw Escaping will also make its way in the game at some point, but not quite yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting a weekly update for the blogsite every Sunday to keep people interested and help keep myself in line. I know its Monday now, but the post was made last night (barely). This update, you get to see previews of new character throws I've been working on and tweaking. Throwing is also now done by holding ATK1 instead of ATK2.

Progress01.png

I've also planned ahead, so there will be more Sunday Specials to come. Full story on the blogsite.

Edited by VexusVersion

Sunday Special #2

Last week mostly consisted of tweaking characters, reworking fonts, and changing current gameplay to be more fluent, flexible, and cooler looking (also, a whole ton of bug-fixing). My personal highlight (That can justify a new screenshot) is that Knuckles' can explode things with his fists.

Progress02.png

In other news, STi member AeroGP is now part of SSK proper as a programmer. Long story short, he is going to be optimizing the code and adding new things that I couldn't. However, most of his reprogrammed efforts won't be visible for Demo 5 because of time management.

Here is the full blog post, and be sure to comment on any character tweaks you would like to see for Demo 5.

Sunday Special #3

This week's update will focus on the graphical side of things. The main points of progress is that I've changed most of the fonts in the game so they look better against the large font, the Hud and Interface have changed slightly and characters now have more/better animations and effects, especially while in the air. The Emblem Gallery is also 100% completed.

Progress03a.pngProgress03b.png

Link to the full blog post.

I also have a question. In fighting games, if two characters collide with each other they don't pass each other. Do you think our fighters should be able to do the same, or should they just pass each other freely as they run?

Sunday Special #4:

This week I've managed to fully implement 'Free Aerial Combos', the ability to Air Combo at any time (rather than after an Upper Combo or Throw). Every character also has a 3-hit Aerial Combo, meaning some characters have an extra attack.

Progress04.png

Character collision has also been implemented, thanks to the great response that I've gotten over last week. Its a simple 'run and stop' system, but it works. Here is another question, Are there any other moves that you feel are restricted or just not well implemented?

Full blog post Here!

Edited by VexusVersion

Sunday Special #5: Art and Sprites

This week's update is a bit different. Aside from more tweaking work, feature testing and bug-fixing, not a lot of visible work got done. This gave me an opportunity to work on some concepts. Here is a sample of what to expect in the future:

Progress05.png

Now, for the more interesting part. To make a long story short, I'm looking for a character sprite artist. Some who I can keep in contact with me that is able to create character body parts.

Since I don't want this post to become an even larger advertisement rally, please look at the Full Blog post for a more better explanation and application details.

Sunday Special #6: Chaos Zero

profile_chaos.png

Chaos Zero is now a playable character for Demo 5. Chaos is also one of the new LIGHT type character class, who specialize in giving special attack special enhancements when they Chaos Charge. There was going to be screenshots released today as well, but this week has been one of my busiest. I'll post those up before next Sunday.

You can see this week's blog post HERE.

Edited by VexusVersion

Sunday Special #7

This week, the game's main menu is complete with the addition of the Music Player option. Now you can play all the tracks and sound effects within the game. The main menu itself has also gone through some tweaks, one of them being an animated background just like the title screen. As usual, the blog post is HERE.

Progress07.png

I'm going to be busy for the next few weeks, so expect less substantial weekly updates for a while.

Sunday Special #8: Chaos Zero Gameplay

This week, I didn't get much done on the actual game due to being busy with assignments. However, I did manage to get all my video software working 100% properly, so I managed to create this little treat today!

As for things that were actually done this week, its mainly been a case of bug-fixing. I managed to add was a No Itembox Option for Vs Matches though. Check out the full blog-site post HERE.

Edited by VexusVersion

Sunday Special #9: Sprite work

This week, I've been doing a lot of university work (and birthday celebrating). So little time has been spent with programming the game, short of bug-fixes and optimization.

Fortunately, a sprite artist has offered to lend their skills to the project. LoneWolfProductions9 A.K.A Zemian will be working with me doing more character sprites like the mesmerizing image below (all of this character's non-aggressive animations have been completed):

Animation01.gif

I would still enjoy more assistance with sprites. Contact me by PM if your interested.

The full blog-post is HERE.

Special Sunday? #10: A Question...

This week, I didn't manage to get much done, but it did remind me that I never showed much of the new step-by-step tutorial, so the screenshot is a snippet of that. However, the screenshot shows an item called the Equalizer, an item I want replaced...

Progress10.png

Anyone got a decent idea for a new power-up? I want to know your thoughts about what kind of items, or anything for that matter, you think would make battles that bit more awesome. Be sure to pitch your opinions in the comments!

Click to see the full blog-post.

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday Special #12: Almost back on track

Its time to start working on this again, and things are starting out slow because there are still some things I need to clear up before moving at full speed. What I have done is started working on Story Mode once more. I plan to get at least 3 more stages done for Demo 5. Here is a shot of Cutscene 3, which needs completing...

Progress12.png

Sometimes, sprites aren't enough... Stay tuned for next Sunday!

Sunday Special #13: Story Mode marches on!

This week, Story Mode has taken up a lot of my time. I've now finished the new version of the Stage 3 cutscene and I've already begun work on Stage 4. Since I don't want to show the cutscene in full just yet, I've got these screenshots lined up instead.

I could upload the new cutscene to YouTube, but I want to see how many people would want that first... so if you want it, ask for it.

Progress13a.pngProgress13b.png

Progress13c.pngProgress13d.png

This week, I've been busy sorting out some comic work and some more of Story Mode, so this update I'm going to release a video of the cutscene I've been teasing for the past two weeks:

In other news, I'm also going to Summer of Sonic next week. I'm going to be bringing a laptop and a beta of Demo 5 in the hopes of getting some face-to-face feedback from people. If you're coming and you want to give it a go, you can go to the blog post to see what I look like so you can find me.

The full blog-post can be seen here!

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday Specials #15 & #16

Here is a short recap of the past 2 weeks:

2 weeks ago I attended the Summer of Sonic convention, and I got to show and play a beta of the new demo with a bunch of people, getting their feedback and making tweaks. At this point, there were only 2 major additions left that I wanted to add before I could confidently release Demo 5. Since I didn't have much to show that week, I added some more up-to-date screenshots to the site's Arena's page.

You can click here to go to the ARENAS page.

This week I've started some proper progress on one of those 2 major points. I can't show you much without spoiling it though, I'd rather tell you all about it when it's finished. So here is a teaser. Can you tell what it means?

Progress15.png

Click for Sunday Special #15

Click for Sunday Special #16

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday Special #17: New Mode

This week I finally get to tell you all about the brand new addition for SSK:

Nonstop Mode is a brand new single player mode for SSK. It's very simple, select a fighter from all the ones you've unlocked then battle it out against as many opponents as you can in a row!

Click here for the full blog-post!

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday Special #18 & #19: Working on Sprites

For the past 2 weeks I have been doing smaller things like bug-fixing, and also trying to get progress moving with the game's resident fan-character: Volcan.

Last week I asked for another sprite artist on the blogsite, due to having to lose 2 sprite artists who had to move on. Thankfully, blog-site regular 'Green' has taken up the mantle, and has done an impressive job so far.

Progress19.png

Click here for the Sunday Special #19 post.

Click here for the Sunday Special #18 post.

Sunday Special #20: Volcan Concepts

Just a quick update this week since I've had a short break from working on this. Have some concept art!

Progress20.png

The looks of the attacks are subject to change, but Volcan's moveset is pretty much solid. Oh, and that is not a Chaos Emerald in the bottom-right image. That would be stupid.

Click to see the blog post.

Edited by VexusVersion

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday Special #21 and #22: MUSIC!

This week and last week has mainly been a whole bunch of bug-fixing, experimenting, and behind-the-scenes work. Thankfully, our resident composer DJ EAR has recently finished some original tracks for SSK and will be working on more in the future:

Click to play EVENT: Universal Tension

Click to play EVENT: Beat Rush

They are both pretty much final, but tell me what you think.

CLICK HERE for last week's blog post (#21).

CLICK HERE for this week's blog post (#22).

Sunday Special #23: Ongoing progress

Long story short, it's been a really long time since I've released a playable version of SSK (over 2 years in fact).

So I'm releasing a beta of Demo 5 for the SAGE 2011 Event. It will come out within the time of the expo itself: between the 18th and 24th of September.

So in the mean time, I've nearly finished 3-month long webcomic run on deviantart, so I'll be spending the rest of my free time making sure the beta is presentable with most, if not all, the features I want in it. Whether that includes Volcan or not, only time will tell. Speaking of which, the character is about half done now, which is faster than I expected.

Progress23.png

Click Here for the full blog-post!

Sunday Special #24: Some New Features

This week was all about adding the last few smaller features that I wanted in Demo 5 to make the whole thing feel more complete. One of the more visual changes included modifying the Main Menu once again. Players can now view the highscores for Nonstop mode whenever they want.

Progress24.png

Other recently finished features include manual saving after battles when autosave is off, and a small demo mode that plays if you keep the title screen on too long (it was a Sonic game and a fighting game, so it kinda needed one).

Click here for the full blog-post.

Sunday Special #25: The Last Special

Okay, this is the last Sunday Special until Beta 5 comes out, so first things first:

Progress25.gif

Sorry guys. Too much is still left out, and I don't want Volcan's first impression to be literally half-baked.

Onto some good news then. First off, the demo is finished 100%, so all my attention is on making sure this game doesn't throw and last-minute bugs at you. I'm also going to be releasing a Launch Trailer on the 17th, the day before I release the game as part of the SAGE 2011 Event.

Secondly, the lead composer for the project DJ EAR has created a preview track of some of the music he's done recently. These previews are from a separate extended cut he is working on, and the tracks in the game are rearranged to suit the game better.

Click here for the full blog post!

Edited by VexusVersion
  • Thumbs Up 1

After configuring the controls, I had a ball with this game. Shame there's no gamepad support but still, this game is really fun once you get the block and attacks down. Looking forward for the next demo

I've been trying to get gamepad support into the game, but some weird stuff begins happening when unplugging and replugging a gamepad. Still, the game is perfectly functional with key-to-pad programs like Xpadder if you still want gamepad control though.