Awoo.

Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom (iOS/Android)

Kaze no Klonoa

If nobody cares about it.

How come the following is true.

1: Sonic Boom news was the top most read article on Global License last month. That is a retail site for licenses. Not videogames.

2: The TV show us doing well in all territories and is expanding to Arabic speaking nations.

3: Tomy toy line is expanding in the summer

4: More retailers announced Boom license deals just prior to Vegas Licensing expo?

Cleary the brand has strength and people consider it viable for investment otherwise there wouldn't be so much money being thrown at it by people who are not Sega.

True, ok then, people don't care for any game related to sonic boom

Alright, Sonic Dash was quite good and making a sequel is great, but why with Boom? That is 100% SEGA knows what people think about Boom.

Because we got a dozen different SegaSonic mobile games and they need to keep up the Boom brand if they're gonna have a second season and sell more merch.

Also, weather you like it or not, Sonic Boom is sticking around. Would you rather have Sonic Boom games on home console or on mobile? OF COURSE you'd rather have it on mobile. Mobile is throw away. If a Sonic game does bad on console, it's a big thing. It's in the history books so to speak. If Sonic is on a bad mobile game, nobody gives a crap. Might as well be a java-based game on cartoon Network website or something. Sonic Jump 2 wasn't very good and it just came out last year. Does anyone talk about that game? No. Nobody cares. A bad mobile game doesn't harm the franchise overall. A bad console game does. The only reason Sonic Boom has such a bad stagma right now is due to those two bad console games from last year. The cartoon is great.

Oh god it's not like they can update this online game that hasn't got a full release yet and clearly isn't finished

I tried the game on my LG Optima smartphone and I have discovered something. The graphics change and can get poorer or better depending on your hardware. In other words, it automatically optimizes to your hardware's specs. On my Shield, the game runs at around 40-60 FPS and both levels have full detail on the sides. On my LG, it runs at 30FPS and details on the sides of the levels are gone. This means no trees or jungle bushes in the jungle area and no villagers or buildings in the village area. The cave you change characters in lacks detail too. I'll see if I can make a video to put up soon.  

So I'm catching up on what happened... I have so many questions..

• Saw Blue's vid on Sticks' gameplay, that running on water glitch (I think) has got to be fixed.
  • The Sprites' roles are simular to Chao's roles and they look like the Wisps (mainly the cyan one) to a certain extent. They, um, power you up?
  • I heard that Mayor Fink appears in the game, does he do anything? Or is it a cameo appearance.
  • How many zones are there?

So I'm catching up on what happened... I have so many questions..

• Saw Blue's vid on Sticks' gameplay, that running on water glitch (I think) has got to be fixed.
  • The Sprites' roles are simular to Chao's roles and they look like the Wisps (mainly the cyan one) to a certain extent. They, um, power you up?
  • I heard that Mayor Fink appears in the game, does he do anything? Or is it a cameo appearance.
  • How many zones are there?

The amount of preemptive cynicism is getting strikingly old and tiring.  Like, I understand it's not the best thing ever, but it literally only just came out, and not even worldwide at that.  Sonic Dash 1 didn't start with every feature, either.

I tried the game on my LG Optima smartphone and I have discovered something. The graphics change and can get poorer or better depending on your hardware. In other words, it automatically optimizes to your hardware's specs. On my Shield, the game runs at around 40-60 FPS and both levels have full detail on the sides. On my LG, it runs at 30FPS and details on the sides of the levels are gone. This means no trees or jungle bushes in the jungle area and no villagers or buildings in the village area. The cave you change characters in lacks detail too. I'll see if I can make a video to put up soon.  

Automatic optimization is definitely a plus.  I might see if it works on my mom's tablet, then.  It's going to look like shite, no doubt, but at least I'll be able to play, hopefully.

The amount of preemptive cynicism is getting strikingly old and tiring.  Like, I understand it's not the best thing ever, but it literally only just came out, and not even worldwide at that.  Sonic Dash 1 didn't start with every feature, either.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it has a lot more to do than just being Sonic Dash 2. Sadly, Sonic Boom has gotten a bad stigma ever since Rise of Lyric. It was the franchise's first impression and it made such a huge stink that any Sonic Boom games to come later will automatically be trashed regardless of the quality of the game or how popular the cartoon is because all they see is "Rise of Lyric". Also there is a core group of fans who've never accepted Sonic Boom from the start merely because it's a different take on their favorite franchise and/or they don't like the redesigns. Combined, it means there's a fair amount of Sonic fans who will automatically hate any Sonic Boom game regardless of quality. 

And I get that much too.  To say Rise of Lyric wasn't a fun game for me would be a gross understatement.  But then we have criticisms towards the game based on things that literally we can't even confirm yet or are just completely unfounded.  Anyway, I digress.  It's just sort of bringing down any significant discussion towards the game when people go in preemptively shooting off negative, often untrue, things, none of which have to do with the game aside from the fact that it is Boom.  Granted, this would be problematic even if the response was positive, too.  It's possible to criticize the game in a balanced and constructive way, even if it is based on Boom.

Jesus fucking Christ, I really hope they plan on fixing the presentation on this thing. The only part of the graphics I like is the spin ball's squash and stretch animation. I really hope that this sub franchise isn't doomed to have such pissed poor quality outside of the TV show. Good grief, so far this game looks like the common homebrewed App Store game. All that's missing is the unintentionally hilarious description written in Engrish.

I never thought I'd ever let out these feelings, espexially in response to a mobile game, but, Sega, can you just... Just let Sonic Boom slowly rot in the 7 AM spot on Cartoon Network and give Sonic a break until Iizuka's ready to announce another major console game for the series? Sonic Boom isn't making you much money in the first place, this rebranding attempt was fucking pointless and is just wasting your money and others'. I'm thankful that Sonic's back on TV, I really am, but even then, Sonic Boom isn't that great of a show and hasn't even intentionally made me at least chuckle since, like, My Fair Sticksy. We're all waiting for a real Sonic game, but you're basically giving us the finger and laughing at us with this failed attempt to reintroduce Sonic to the youth.

I'm not just saying all of this because this soft launched mobile game looks like shit, it's also because the Sonic Boom franchise as a whole is just so half assed. To quote what SSMB member Steve once said in a stream, "Sonic Boom is like if Chinese bootleggers saw Sonic and said "WE MAKE A SONIC TOO!" Just drop it, man. Christ.

• Thumbs Up 8

100% agreed with Auto. Sonic Boom is only a success in the tv show and nothing else, yet Sega keep shoving this shit in our face with crappy looking games like Fire & Ice and now this really cheap looking Dash skin. For me, this has been Sonic's worst year yet and I'm anxious to know what the next REAL Sonic game is like.

• Thumbs Up 4

For me, this has been Sonic's worst year yet and I'm anxious to know what the next REAL Sonic game is like.

Don't fret, since Sonic Team actually know how to make video games.

You know, it's one thing to have grievances with Sonic Boom, especially with regards to some of the games. Declaring that, since you hate it, it should just be scrapped outright regardless of what its fans think of it just comes off as being rather selfish. If it's gotten to the point where you're thinking that, then you should just do yourself a favor, and ignore the thing and move on. Let the fans have the thing they enjoy, and all that.

Also, let's not forget that Sonic Team's track record with the games have been hit or miss as well...

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see the point in keeping Sonic Boom around. It brings nothing new to the table, and offers less than the main series.

The games have been terrible, and with the exception of Sticks, the cartoon isn't doing anything that couldn't be done with the main-series characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess my problem with boom as a whole is that I don't see even lasting that long anyway. Once the t.v show is over, what's gonna happen next? Showing constant reruns for years like sonic x? New seasons? More games? Personally, I don't desire Sonic boom to end so quickly. Then again I won't care that much if it did. It's a spin-off anyway so it's pretty much nothing to me. 

Besides, wouldn't Sega lose even more money for ending the entire thing? Just a thought. 

On the topic of the ios game, it's looks okay. The character models look ugly and amy has the most awkward running animation in the game. That's all. 

I really wish the cartoon was getting better treatment. Not in the sense of premieres, time slots, what have you. But with games like this being the only real promotion that the show is getting it scares me. It's not working,

I'm not saying people shouldn't enjoy Sonic Boom, to each they're own, but I'm saying SEGA should stop throwing so much money into it after it made such a terrible first impression and sold like moldy cold cakes. Most Sonic Boom fans who'd be upset if SB vanished are children who only like it solely because it's Sonic, so even if it did happen, they'd be indifferent to it because there'd still be "Legacy Sonic". If Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal didn't have Sonic themes slapped onto them, they'd get as much attention and sales as games like the Petz series like the generic shovelware they are. Even the show is getting bland as hell. I've seen better fight sequences in my 7th grade film class' critique periods and better attempts at humor on a box of Cap'n Crunch.

The main series may have had its misses, but it started with four/five fantastic games that made hella dough, received tons of praise, and rivaled the biggest guys in gaming at the time. What did Big Red Button and Sanzuru's attempts at Sonic games do to benefit the series and Sega?

tOpiQT3.png

wow.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't fret, since Sonic Team actually know how to make video games.

Sonic '06, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic and the Secret Rings. All shit. Half of them WORSE than Rise of Lyric.

Don't act like Sonic games didn't suck before Boom came along. Sonic Boom's biggest sin was a really bad first impression. Big Red Button really shit the bed with that game and the stink still hasn't left gamers minds. But here's the facts.

The cartoon is hilarious and doing great in the ratings (often taking 5 or more of the top 10 spots on Boomerang in the U.K.)

Sonic Dash 2 is actually pretty fun to play (if your mobile device is powerful enough) and has several new features.

Sanzaru is taking the criticisms of last year's game to heart and are fixing the main problem people had with the game. (Long, confusing levels and having to search all over for shards just to proceed to the next level.) I'm not expecting a AAA Sonic Boom game any time soon, but I think they can make a solid Sonic game as good as any other Sonic game. Hell, Hardlight does a better job at microtransactions than Sonic Team does! (Roulette is bullshit and will always be bullshit).

As far as the show goes, if you are watching it for action, you're doing it wrong. As stated many times by the writers and producers, it's a situation comedy and on that note I think it succeeds well. Even the worst episode usually has a laugh out loud moment for me.

• Thumbs Up 4

As far as the show goes, if you are watching it for action, you're doing it wrong. As stated many times by the writers and producers, it's a situation comedy and on that note I think it succeeds well. Even the worst episode usually has a laugh out loud moment for me.

That's why I love the show so much. Even the worst episodes have made me laugh in some way and that's what the intent of the show is. I just wish everything else about Boom was this good.

It's a Sonic show, shouldn't we be expecting action? Didn't Boom bill itself as being an Action-Adventure franchise and not a Comedy? I'm speaking for myself of course, but I don't like the comedy direction this series has been following for the past 5 years, and Boom hasn't changed that. Boom certainly does better with it, but it's not what I wanted out of the series. And I'm not alone in this.

The "if you're doing it for X, then you're doing it wrong" kind of flies in the face of what some people might want out of a Sonic TV show. Yes, Boom TV might do comedy better, but it's not really what I was hoping or expecting. And it kind of seems a bit arrogant to just sit there and dismiss that.

Sonic Boom was initially announced and marketed as an "action-comedy" series. Sonic X and, hell, even Sonic Underground did a better job at that. In Boom, it's mostly corny TTG-esque humor and action sequences that follow a checklist that reads "Eggman sends a horde of the same five badniks or generic giant robot of the week and yells 'ATTAAACK,' shot of Knuckles punching a thing, shot of Sonic doing the homing attack accompanied by the spin dash sound for some reason, shot of Amy breaking a thing with her hammer, shot of Sticks using her boomerang, make sure to add in that rising string sample a couple of times so we can trick the kids into thinking that this 10 second fight scene is ebin and call it a day."

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure neither Sonic X or Sonic Underground billed themselves as "action-comedy".

Also, Sonic Underground is one of the worst cartoons ever made IMO.

Didn't Boom bill itself as being an Action-Adventure franchise and not a Comedy?  

No. It did not. It's a situation comedy with some elements of action. The games have more action of course because they're video games.

In response to auto, the reason why Sonic Boom is still going after the fact games bombed is really because Sonic Boom is a multimedia brand rather than a video game series. As other people said, it's doing well in it's other categories. So it makes no sense to throw away the entire thing.

In other words, you can't throw away a whole basket of fresh apples just because you found a couple of rotten ones in there. 

As for the show, it really just comes down to tastes. If somebody were expecting it to be more of a action show then they would obviously be disappointed. I can understand why that person might a assume it would be. Majority of the sonic cartoons were more plot-driven / action orientated than comedy. So having a sonic t.v show as just a comedy will throw off some people. I think that's also why Teen Titans Go gets a alot of unfair hate for it's departure from the action genre.

Maybe it's not that and it's just Sonic Boom's execution of comedy to others. Some people think its funny and others don't. Same thing can be said to pretty much every comedy based show out there. 

• Thumbs Up 2